New Overstay Rules Announced By Immigration

I can't see any problems with those rules. Follow them and you will have no troubles. Would you like to break laws in your home countries? Why all these useless discussions?

Nobody's circumstance is the same. A death of a family member or hospital treatment could be responsible for missing a renewing your visa date. Who knows? But an extra 5 days if you miss check-in at your 90 day/per month etc should be available.

Edited by mungamunga

Its A VERY BIG incentive for Police to actively Look for overstayers ----

FOR CASH EXTRACTION

(with even small

overstays punishable by A 5 YEAR Ban)

i can imagine any farang. Caught in a checkpoint /pub raid and on OS would be a cash cow for the "officers "

IMHO

Sent from my SM-J200GU using Tapatalk

they haven't got any money do that's gonna be difficult
The Police wont think like that tho "dont bother check farang for OS offence because farang probably cant pay us "to turn a blind eye etc "

I imagine the majority of cops that usually would accept "cash in lieu" will recognise that the risk /reward factor is heavily on the polices side with the laws giving them authority to administrator ( or set in motion. ) 5 YEAR BANS for every farang they can possibly catch with even small OS offences - so them boys will be a hunting

Sent from my SM-J200GU using Tapatalk

There should be a weeks worth of a second chance to procure a visa whatever is legally required, not everybody is capable of meeting the visa requirements on a set date, could be in hospital, stolen passport or have not received their paycheck yet. Everyones circumstance is different.

If one week would be a second chance and seeing that immigration has warned publicly and repeatedly since April 2014 about these overstay ban rules coming, how many chances would this make? Doing a rough calculation, about 100.

The Order of the Minister of the Interior was published on 21 December 2015 with the information that it would take effect 90 days later. Information about it was published repeatedly in English-language publications in Thailand, on the website of the Immigration Bureau, and in immigration offices.

• Like 1

A farang reported today, that the police are taking the new overstay seriously and warned of police check point(s), specifically asking farangs to show their passports.

But since he rattled off a few Thai words and was wearing a suit, the police gave him a wink and a smile, and waived him along, with no need of showing his passport.

With that being said, if caught, deported, and banned for year(s), you all had more than a years notice to fix your overstay(s)..

I'm just courious if Mr. White Guy that cannot speak Thai, actually gets one of those long bans, or shares their story on how they were allowed to stay using this forum.

That could be a seperate case, politeness and even a few Thai words could make a difference. Same for every country, just depends on the officer.

Personally.... Speaking Thai or being polite should be more of reason to have at least - looked at this particular farang's passport.. If that was the main reason for the police check point.

After numerous years on an overstay myself (not anymore), and being stop by the police 3 times, (prior to the new overstay policy).. I was always polite and spoke my best Thai during those stops..

Was only asked one time to provide a drivers and an international drivers during the same stop.. I didn't have either one!! And for sure wasn't carrying around my passport with an expired visa if he did ask...

Apparently being polite and speaking a few thai words, allowed me to stay in the status I was in for a extended period.

Anyway...

To the poster a few posts up i already did get out and flew straight bake again on a visa exempt

A great shame.

Boasting and bragging about how you break laws and manage to get away with it does not impress the majority of us who make great efforts to live within the law.

• Like 2

Well do not complain ..... just have a look what Indonesia is doing with the overstay visas

6. Overstay penalty

If you overstay your visa then the official penalty is Rp 300,000 per day you have overstayed. The maximum allowed time you can overstay is 60 days.

If you have overstayed your visa for more than 60 then you are in the country without valid visa. The punishment for not having a valid visa is a maximum 5 years sentence or maximum Rp 500,000,000 penalty. (article #119 of UU 6/2011).

Source; Kementerian Hukum Dan Hak Asasi Manusia Republik Indonesia

You get lock up he he he he or par 500Million he he he he

Be Happy you are in Thailand

I know a Laos girl who just got into the country on a new passport even though she's blacklisted on the old one, fwiw.

Is that "factual reporting" too?

Fwiw it's worthless.

Edited by elviajero
  • Like 1

I know a Laos girl who just got into the country on a new passport even though she's blacklisted on the old one, fwiw.

Fwiw it's worthless.

It is factual but not a lot I can do to prove other than ask for her old and new passport to photograph and upload them here, at which point they'd be deleted by mods as it's someone's personal info.

Why does it's arouse such a strong reaction? Anyone that's lived here for any length of time shouldn't be surprised that law enforcement isn't that rigid here.

Might happen.

Did she do some name change probably?

Do Laos people have a unique ID like Thais?

Thai immigration still not seems to be clever enough to do biometrics.

Fwiw it's worthless.

It is factual but not a lot I can do to prove other than ask for her old and new passport to photograph and upload them here, at which point they'd be deleted by mods as it's someone's personal info.

Why does it's arouse such a strong reaction? Anyone that's lived here for any length of time shouldn't be surprised that law enforcement isn't that rigid here.

Without proof that she was actually blacklisted and she entered the country with a passport in the same name, the report is worthless and doesn't help anyone.

Everyone is aware that laws aren't always enforced and I've always said that overstayers will get the same treatment they've always had.

It, what? I get the impression that Eddy is here to wind a few people up!

Might happen.

Same name, they knew she was blacklisted on her previous passport but let her in on a new one, she says she 'knows everyone there' at that border post.

Might happen.

Same name, they knew she was blacklisted on her previous passport but let her in on a new one, she says she 'knows everyone there' at that border post.

What a Lao girl and honkie farang can get away with are 2 different things -- that also depends on just how well she knows everyone there.

• Like 1

Without proof that she was actually blacklisted and she entered the country with a passport in the same name, the report is worthless and doesn't help anyone.

Any internet forum report is anecdote, they're not mathematical equations. But ok here's the first few pages of her passport, she's in the country now on this replacement passport, with no proper entry stamp.

http://imgur.com/a/EQUHX

Any internet forum report is anecdote, they're not mathematical equations. But ok here's the first few pages of her passport, she's in the country now on this replacement passport, with no proper entry stamp.

I am not saying you are making it up. I'm saying the report is worthless with no proof that she is blacklisted.

And if she doesn't have an entry stamp she is here illegally and the passport/blacklisting is completely irrelevant. Laotians getting a free pass at the border is nothing new.

Which means she is in the country illegally.

Not a very smart move .

Jspill you;re not the brightest of people are you? Posting photos that can easily identify the Passport holder (clue, the rather large numbers at the bottom of the Passport page)

Is anyone reading this so pathetic that they'd report some random Laotian's passport number to the authorities? Or expect them to do anything about it?

Edit: some of Thaivisa probably are that bitter actually.

Edited by jspill

I am not saying you are making it up. I'm saying the report is worthless with no proof that she is blacklisted.

And if she doesn't have an entry stamp she is here illegally and the passport/blacklisting is completely irrelevant. Laotians getting a free pass at the border is nothing new.

Here's the blacklist form... http://imgur.com/qeu6gTB

I know all that but I'm just posting for the 'well done Thailand, secure our borders, overstay is a serious crime' lot.

Can someone explain something to me please.If someone is on overstay now even for a week they will get banned for a year or 5 if caught.If dont get caught and provided they have not overstayed for 90 days then there will be no ban?

No one knows yet, the law says you can be banned even for 1 day but in practice that might not be enforced for short overstays, have to wait and see.

If at the airport, there's the 90 day no ban period, yes.

Every year the banks and the drug stores give out free calendars. Next year, maybe get one.

It was a deliberate overstay. Laotians don't consider it a big deal at all, unlike farang on messageboards. Strange that.