Putting my colonoscopy on hold till I investigate this ,

Lumbini

Chula is abbreviation for King Chulalongkorn Memorial Hospital (sometimes abbreviated KCMH, Thai: โรงพยาบาลจุฬาลงกรณ์) is a general and tertiary referral hospital in Bangkok, Thailand. It is operated by the Thai Red Cross Society, and serves as the teaching hospital for the Faculty of Medicine, Chulalongkorn University and the Thai Red Cross College of Nursing. With an in-patient capacity of 1,479 beds, it is one of the largest hospitals in Thailand.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Chulalongkorn_Memorial_Hospital

No insurance , If the colonoscopy is 30k at Bumangrad must be very expensive now in the states if one has no insurance because Bumangrad still with its top prices here is usually around half of what things are in the US at major hospitals or less .

Almost everything I have had done at Bumrungrad is far less than half the price of what it would be back in California. So it is definitely worth getting done while here. Some of the smaller private hospitals in BKK (not international, but private) offer good service for a fraction of what you might pay in the states. Navigating them might be tough though if you don't speak Thai or have someone with you.

Within the past year Bumrungrad has upped prices considerably and is now often more than other major international hodpitals. Some procedures now cost the same or more as can be gotten in US.

Possibly due to the high volume of wealthy middle eastern clients.

Chula is abbreviation for King Chulalongkorn Memorial Hospital (sometimes abbreviated KCMH, Thai: โรงพยาบาลจุฬาลงกรณ์) is a general and tertiary referral hospital in Bangkok, Thailand. It is operated by the Thai Red Cross Society, and serves as the teaching hospital for the Faculty of Medicine, Chulalongkorn University and the Thai Red Cross College of Nursing. With an in-patient capacity of 1,479 beds, it is one of the largest hospitals in Thailand.

No insurance , If the colonoscopy is 30k at Bumangrad must be very expensive now in the states if one has no insurance because Bumangrad still with its top prices here is usually around half of what things are in the US at major hospitals or less .

Almost everything I have had done at Bumrungrad is far less than half the price of what it would be back in California. So it is definitely worth getting done while here. Some of the smaller private hospitals in BKK (not international, but private) offer good service for a fraction of what you might pay in the states. Navigating them might be tough though if you don't speak Thai or have someone with you.

Within the past year Bumrungrad has upped prices considerably and is now often more than other major international hodpitals. Some procedures now cost the same or more as can be gotten in US.

Well, that is pretty crazy to hear considering how out of control prices in the USA are. Luckily I am not up for any expensive procedures anytime soon, because I will still continue to use Bumrungrad.

Focus for Health | Can a Colonoscopy Cause Infection? A few years later, in 1995, the same scientist, Dr. David Lewis, published another article on the topic in Nature Medicine– this time drawing attention to cleaning procedures for another type of reusable device, called the flexible endoscope, which is used for colonoscopies and other endoscopic procedures. His research illustrated how recommended disinfection processes intended to kill pathogens were ineffective against microbes that were trapped in lubricants used during procedures. This story was big news at the time, garnering attention from media outlets like TIME, Newsweek, ABC News and Good Morning America.

https://www.focusforhealth.org/need-a-colonoscopy-the-one-question-you-must-ask-before-any-endoscopic-procedure/

Olympus to recall and redesign medical scope linked to superbug outbreaks -

In 2010, Olympus engineers had modified the $40,000 scope to seal a narrow internal channel to keep out blood and other infectious material. The change aimed to make the scope easier to clean and followed similar redesigns by its two rivals, Pentax and Fuji.

But three independent investigations — the first in early 2012 — found the design could allow bacteria to remain inside the scope even after it was cleaned according to Olympus' instructions.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-olympus-scopes-20160115-story.html

post-202056-14531150224601_thumb.jpg

I had the 'look up'(the full way) and the 'look' down done a few weeks ago and was completely put out. It cost around 14000thb and around 1500thb of that was to check a sample that they took from my tummy. Sample was fine.

I had it done at the Chulabhorn Research Institute. I get the look up done every 5 years. Look down was done because I wanted to see if my ulcers had gone and they had.

I was on a 2nd generation PPI but now just take Miracid.

Bumrungrad certainly seem pricey:

please be informed that the estimated cost of Colonoscopy is approximately 27,500 - 35,200 Baht* (procedure only) as out-patient basis.

You are recommended to stay in Bangkok 7 days after procedure for follow up.

The mentioned estimated cost does not include polyps removal. Please be suggested to see our gastroenterologist for an initial consultation and evaluation first. The doctor can then recommend a suitable treatment plan, as treatment methods and prices may vary in accordance to each patient’s condition

The above estimated costs do not include;

• The estimated doctor’s consultation fee may range from 500 – 2,000 Baht / doctor / OPD visit, although in some cases depending on various factors, the fee might vary from the estimate range.
  • Any expenses not related to the procedure.
  • Costs arising from complications, such as additional medical conditions that may require special treatment during or after the procedure.
  • Any follow up costs.
  • Take-home medication and medical supplies

"Bumrungrad certainly seem pricey"

Wow about twice what Bangkok Christian Hospital quoted me . Usually Bangkok Christian Hospital is slightly less than Bumrungrad but for this procedure much more pricy wonder if there is any difference ? ( maybe free parking [emoji15]

This is an accurate opinion. If you want inside BRG you will see majority of clients are middle eastern. This is the hospitals target market.

Bumrungrad have a virtual colonoscopy that involves a CT scan for thb 21000. Would this be as effective as the camera up the butt method?

NO.

In the event that the CT scan identified a possible lesion or polyp requiring intervention, what do you think is going to happen? You will still have to undergo a traditional colonoscopy to remove the polyp.

CT scans use radiation. It is best that we minimize our exposure to radiation even if described as "low dose".

In this day and age of effective anesthesia, there is no need to fear a colonoscopy. They are painless.

Archived