Visa options for elderly relatives

My wife who is Chinese born, but with Thai nationality, brought her elderly parents from China to live with her when they got old. She says they only needed to renew their visa once a year and had no necessity to leave the country.

They are both dead now, but she is asking me why can't I get a visa like this rather than spending £125 on a Non O by marriage and having to leave the country every 90 days. Unfortunately she can't remember what the visa was and I can't find anything like it.

Anybody know what sort of visa this was ? - and why it will not be available to me I suspect.....

• It wasn't a visa but would have been a 1 year extension of stay as parents of a Thai.

You can get a 1 year extension (during the last 30 days of any of your 90 day entries) as her husband as long as you have 400k in the bank for 2 months or a certified income of 40k pm. 1,900 baht from your local immigration office.

You also qualify for a 60 day extension for visiting your wife. No financial proof needed. You can extend any of your 90 day entries by 60 days.

Edited by elviajero

At the moment ( and plans may change yet again) I'm thinking of coming over in May and stopping probably just for a month but maybe for 3, then returning to Thailand in October and probably stopping for 6 months.

Problem is I'll be somewhere in rural Thailand in October rather than Bangkok which is where the wife is - not sure how easy it's going to be to get an extension without her present - I will be with my step-son though.

If you're wondering why I'm doing this it's because I'm going to be helping step-son with his English and he's going to be doing his first year as a rural doctor after passing medical school. Unfortunately we don't know where he will be doing it until after the ballot for places in May, so I don't know how easy doing border runs will be.

My plan was to get a 1 year Non O while I'm back the UK in March, but wife thinks this is an unnecessary expense.