Chinese company Yingli to manufacture solar panels in Thailand

webfact

Chinese company Yingli to manufacture solar panels in Thailand
BY LARRY BANKS

Solar-Panels.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Chinese company Yingli Solar has reached a joint-venture to create a solar panel manufacturing plan in Rayong, Thailand.

The facility, which is Yingli’s first outside its native China, will have an annual capacity of 300 megawatts of multicrystalline photovoltaic (PV) panels, which will be sold under the Yingli Solar brand. The facility is expected to begin operating in the second half of this year.

The venture involves the company’s subsidiary Hainan Yingli New Energy Resource and Demeter Power, a Thailand-based developer, EPC (engineering, procurement and construction) provider and operator of renewable-energy projects.

The 40:60 JV will fully implement the project with capital investment of about Bt689 million.

Thailand’s business climate, as well as tax incentive schemes, world-class infrastructure and continued government support for expanding the solar power industry make it a perfect place for the joint investment, according to Apichet Bhusry, chief executive officer of Demeter Corp.

Full story: http://ethailand.com/business-news/chinese-company-yingli-to-manufacture-solar-panels-in-thailand/1367/

-- eThailand 2016-01-14

"Thailands business climate, as well as tax incentive schemes, world-class infrastructure and continued government support for expanding the solar power industry make it a perfect place for the joint investment"

Almost fell off my f@%kin' chair and choked at the same time.

May 2015, Forbes - Yingli has accumulated short-term and long-term debt of around $2 billion and hasnt reported a profitable quarter since 2011.

Sill good material for the junta PR guys even if the investment is rather dodgy. Sansern will have lots to talk about with the new material.

The durability of these solar panels should be from 1 to 2 years. Great and cheap experience isn't it?

Lifespan of their solar panel is 20-25 years.

Even though people love to slag the Chinese they have come a long way in making great products.

Have a look in your home or apartment, Guaranteed most of it was made in China.

I-phone anyone

The durability of these solar panels should be from 1 to 2 years. Great and cheap experience isn't it?

Even though people love to slag the Chinese they have come a long way in making great products.

I-phone anyone

The chinese quality is certainly improving. Another 10 or so years and they will produce reasonable quality products.

I can still remember when japan was in a similar situation in the mid 70's. It was referred to as Jap crap, especially cars. Cant say that anymore.

Can't help but wonder if they'll actually make anything in Thailand, or just repackage Chinese made products into boxes marked "Product of Thailand" to get around countervailing duties of around 52% for their products sold into the USA.

If I were of a suspicious nature, I'd suggest the US trade authorities do a few surprise visits to see if they actually manufacture in Thailand- or if it's just a repackaging station...

http://enforcement.trade.gov/download/factsheets/factsheet-multiple-certain-crystalline-silicon-photovoltaic-products-ad-cvd-final-121614.pdf

Edit: Or maybe they've been reduced to 21.7%. Hard to figure out the exact and current details without a PHD in searching government websites...

http://www.pv-magazine.com/news/details/beitrag/us-maintains-solar-tariffs--mixed-response-from-industry_100020138/#axzz3xD7VZo4d

Edited by impulse

May 2015, Forbes - Yingli has accumulated short-term and long-term debt of around $2 billion and hasn’t reported a profitable quarter since 2011.

perfact management,

to be successful with this performance for years;

would you be able to manage business with this financial figures ?

Can't help but wonder if they'll actually make anything in Thailand, or just repackage Chinese made products into boxes marked "Product of Thailand" to get around countervailing duties of around 52% for their products sold into the USA.

If I were of a suspicious nature, I'd suggest the US trade authorities do a few surprise visits to see if they actually manufacture in Thailand- or if it's just a repackaging station...

http://enforcement.trade.gov/download/factsheets/factsheet-multiple-certain-crystalline-silicon-photovoltaic-products-ad-cvd-final-121614.pdf

Edit: Or maybe they've been reduced to 21.7%. Hard to figure out the exact and current details without a PHD in searching government websites...

http://www.pv-magazine.com/news/details/beitrag/us-maintains-solar-tariffs--mixed-response-from-industry_100020138/#axzz3xD7VZo4d

I thought it was very difficult for SP companies to produce in Rayong due to the lack of water. The production requires a huge amount of water which is why north of bkk is the normal choice.

They won't so much produce the actual cells but more likely assemble the panels. Low skilled, labor intensive and indeed a great way to get around taxes.

May 2015, Forbes - Yingli has accumulated short-term and long-term debt of around $2 billion and hasn’t reported a profitable quarter since 2011.

perfact management,

to be successful with this performance for years;

would you be able to manage business with this financial figures ?

The Board of Directors must be well compensated.

I never cease to be amazed by how 'journalists' or writers can spin information. The EThailand article seems to have been sourced from an article on PV Tech on Jan 12 that quite clearly states Yingli will open a 'module assembly plant' that will 'enable the company to operate more competitively in overseas markets'. So it's basically a tax dodge using a low skilled Thai workforce yet the EThailand writer has managed to spin it into an incredible tale of investment and manufacturing in Thailand.

I-phone anyone

I would say it differently, based on discussions I have had with buyers here in the Middle East who travel to China and meet with suppliers.

Some Chinese goods are high quality; some Chinese goods are crap.

Google eevblog or bigclivedotcom on Youtube. Some Chinese products are downright scary.

Regarding Chinese solar panels, I think it has been widely reported that the quality varies greatly. And the claimed life of products is somewhat speculative given the real world time frames.

I-phone anyone

Melt-down in 1 day, wanna bet???? cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

I-phone anyone

The chinese quality is certainly improving. Another 10 or so years and they will produce reasonable quality products.

I can still remember when japan was in a similar situation in the mid 70's. It was referred to as Jap crap, especially cars. Cant say that anymore.

the Chinese already manufacture a whole range of goods equal and some instances superior to non-Chinese goods.

as the OP was about solar panels, I learned yesterday that the actual solar panel cells are all made in China and shipped to countries (like Germany) and assembled as German-made panels

a very parochial mate of mine (wanting fly ash transporters) 'confessed' to me that the welding was far superior to that of tanks manufactured in Australia.

If the panels are actually produced in China and assembled elsewhere, the pollution involved can stay where it belongs. Even Greenpiss, the great advocates of solar, admit that solar panel production is a very dirty business.

http://www.greenpeace.org/eastasia/Global/eastasia/publications/reports/climate-energy/2012/Solar%20PV%20Pollution.pdf

• 7 months later...
On ‎14‎/‎01‎/‎2016 at 7:02 PM, soc said:

I have found that German manufactured Solar Panels to be the best.

Expensive in OZ but definitely worth fitting.

Of course Chinese products will get better with time.

A Solar Engineer friend told me the Germans were having panels made in China now, and that they are fine.

• 4 months later...
On 1/14/2016 at 4:47 PM, ldiablo said:

I-phone anyone

Lifespan of solar panels is variable depending on quality of manufacture. Pretty well all solar panels are Chinese made and if they are assembled properly will last 25 years at which time they will still have 80% of their rated output. Unfortunately there are some manufacturers who can't seem to join the cells together properly. I had six out of thirty six failures in the first two years on one installation.