Police consider prosecuting Koh Tao victim's sister over Thailand criticism

webfact

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so happy I moved from Thailand, the country is a mess facepalm.gif For tropical SEA livin' i think Cambodia or Burma is better. Thailand is becoming a disaster for foreigners and Thai laws are screwed up.

Hilarious post- ask the Rohingya about the concentration camps they live in in Burma which Aung San Suu Kyi refuses to condemn.

As for Cambodia and Hun Sen,an ex Khmer Rouge dictator who has no time for any opposition of any kind.

Which country in SE Asia has such a vibrant and free expat forum comparable to Thai Visa?

There's no nationalistic chest-thumping or farang bashing at any opportunity in Cambodia. I'll not comment on HS :-)

I honestly believe the vast majority of Thai males (+ a sizeable number of females probably can be added to that) would be more than happy if they never had to see another farang again their entire lives. Too much competition for their fragile little ego's.

Perhaps you need to change your 'honest beliefs', I've spent the last 25 years living in both Issan and Bangkok and I've rarely come up against any hatred or even open dislike of farangs. If you speak Thai (well), my experiences have been Thai people welcome you. The occasional farang hater( always a local drunkard) is himself shunned by the locals.

Of course in the islands or tourist hot spots things may be different, too much money, too many wallies of every persuasion, but outside tourist enclaves, Thais are in my experience as friendly as ever.

Thai Murders - Local Justice On Trial

Excellent summary of the case from "The Diplomat"

http://thediplomat.com/2016/01/thai-murders-local-justice-on-trial/

The Diplomat states that Laura's Facebook page has been blocked by Thai authorities. Anyone outside Thailand can still see it or was that a slip of the pen?

I am currently in Germany and I have not been able to access the page for days now..... it is blocked.

Thanks Justice KT for clarifying, looks like the Uk authorities may have intervened in the interests of selling some things to Thailand?

Yes, disappointingly this appears to be the case... I doubt that Thailand could reach that far and have FB pages in the UK blocked.

Hey guys excuse my ignorance..what's a VPN ?? Please..

VPN is a Virtual Private network

It works by creating an internet tunnel to a computer overseas so that it appears your computer is in that country. You can switch it on or off as you wish

There are free ones, in my view they are a total wast of money

There are a number of subscription ones that you can subscribe to. For example WiTopia is $50 a year with very solid backup and simple to use.

Em me if you want any further information

Interested too but when you say free ones are a waste of money...?

Waste of time do you mean? Not up to the job?

No her original post did not contain any expletives unless of course you consider the words 'shove it' expletives. Nice try though!

The two Bumese guy's lives are in grave danger, this whole thing is getting out of complete control.

I fear they will be silenced once and for all....very soon.

I don't think this is going to go away either way and will just gain more publicity if the B2 are helped off a 3rd story balcony.

This young lady deserves answers, truthful and believable ones.

Correct me if I am wrong but didn't her FB post contain a lot of expletives. If I am right then the words used certainly do not put her in the category of being a lady, young maybe but not the former, however if I am wrong, then I stand corrrected.

Wouldn't blame her or put her down if there were expletives. Would fully understand in an impassioned state if she resorted to that. Think I would too.

I'm so happy I moved from Thailand, the country is a mess facepalm.gif For tropical SEA livin' i think Cambodia or Burma is better. Thailand is becoming a disaster for foreigners and Thai laws are screwed up.

Hilarious post- ask the Rohingya about the concentration camps they live in in Burma which Aung San Suu Kyi refuses to condemn.

As for Cambodia and Hun Sen,an ex Khmer Rouge dictator who has no time for any opposition of any kind.

Which country in SE Asia has such a vibrant and free expat forum comparable to Thai Visa?

There's no nationalistic chest-thumping or farang bashing at any opportunity in Cambodia. I'll not comment on HS :-)

I honestly believe the vast majority of Thai males (+ a sizeable number of females probably can be added to that) would be more than happy if they never had to see another farang again their entire lives. Too much competition for their fragile little ego's.

Perhaps you need to change your 'honest beliefs', I've spent the last 25 years living in both Issan and Bangkok and I've rarely come up against any hatred or even open dislike of farangs. If you speak Thai (well), my experiences have been Thai people welcome you. The occasional farang hater( always a local drunkard) is himself shunned by the locals.

Of course in the islands or tourist hot spots things may be different, too much money, too many wallies of every persuasion, but outside tourist enclaves, Thais are in my experience as friendly as ever.

I don't need to change anything just yet thanks fella. My beliefs come from many yrs living in Thailand. The dislike isn't out in the open as it isn't the cultural norm to express such feelings publicly, which I'm sure you are more than well aware of? Though you don't need to be Sherlock to detect it -I'm sorry you didn't manage that in your 25 long yrs. I also speak Thai, though that IMHO should have absolutely nothing to do with being treated with respect, unless you've earned otherwise. I will add and do concur that there are many wonderful Thais (I married one) but there's a significant proportion who are, let's just say - not so, when it comes to all things western.

P.S. Why are you using a forum as a quality indicator? How bizzare

Edited by Luang

The Diplomat states that Laura's Facebook page has been blocked by Thai authorities. Anyone outside Thailand can still see it or was that a slip of the pen?

I am currently in Germany and I have not been able to access the page for days now..... it is blocked.

Yes it is blocked..I accessed it a couple of days ago to confirm her post had been taken down and now the whole Facebook page is gone

I am sure she couldn't care less about what they do. If she is smart, she might even turn the heat up.

Meanwhile, old box head still roams the planet and he has caused Thailand so much more trouble than this.

Sad days indeed.

Jeez, you fanatics even manage to drag HIM into this thread. Did he also cause your latest dose of piles?

Apart from that, what other problems has he caused Thailand in the eyes of the world, pray tell?

Wouldn't blame her or put her down if there were expletives. Would fully understand in an impassioned state if she resorted to that. Think I would too.

Thanks Taony, i had read it and know there weren't any expletives. I didn't intend to imply there were. She's a remarkable and courageous woman who has shown her outrage with great dignity.

I don't think i could have shown the same restraint.That was my point, not very well articulated perhaps.

A very good summary of the farce so far..

Well worth a read and puts a lot of the pertinent stuff together in one report

sorry iReason looks like you beat me to it!

Hey, how about an apology for me - I beat both of you! :)

Indeed... A good summary... Should have read it much earlier, but done now.

As far as I can see, if the DNA evidence is thrown out of court, there is no substantial case... But how can you throw something out when it doesn't exist in the first place?

What I fail to comprehend, is why people are arguing over this... If unsure, read the diplomat statement, it's about the most concise and compelling view to date, citing world class experts, who have been ignored, in favor of cynical armchair critics.

Pathetic... And yes... I do know I'm in Thailand, but that should make no difference

Thanks Taony, i had read it and know there weren't any expletives. I didn't intend to imply there were. She's a remarkable and courageous woman who has shown her outrage with great dignity.

I don't think i could have shown the same restraint.That was my point, not very well articulated perhaps.

Correct! But recovered.

It is more evidence that LOS is devoid of any law and order. It is worthwhile for all and sundry to ensure they cannot be implicated in any foul doing by the authorities. One must have protection. Off topic yes, but extremely important. There is no protection from the law in Thailand at the moment. Be safe. Take precautions. Security is of the utmost importance if you want to avoid being the victim. Your homes need solid CCTV structure, intense security, (killer dogs) and a gun under the pillow. No shit. This place is the wildest it's been in my 30 years here. I am on the inside, I know them personally. Some are even family.Take my advice.

What a joke; the RTP, and the idea of prosecuting the girl, notwithstanding she is in the UK and unlikely to turn up to face such a ludicrous charge. Seems at least one member of the family is starting to catch on. British embassy, take note.

Embassies don't care about their own citizens .. Embassies and just for interest of the counties interests overseas plus corporate businesses around the globe.

re: Laura Witheridge’s FB page being blocked:

I’ll take a source based publication any day over some diversionary sideshow of hearsay posted by a collaboration of Trolls on a TV forum.

thumbsup.gif

i use a vpn and even that not picking her up so at a guess ? she closed her account for awhile ?

Edited by Nicolas32

So if Thailand will prosecute her for negative remarks, what about all the TVF members comments? Should we be worried?

If you have made negative comments,yes; it is against the law in Thailand.

As is being non- (wealthy and/or connected) Thai in most cases. Which laws are these you speak of? The ones they make up as they go along, selected dependent upon the bank account and status you may or may not have? People are better off just staying the <deleted> out of the place if they refuse to clean their acts up and at least attempt to become a civilised entity.

Which laws? Really? Well, why don't you ask the moderators who have to continually warn posters to keep it civil.

It is more evidence that LOS is devoid of any law and order. It is worthwhile for all and sundry to ensure they cannot be implicated in any foul doing by the authorities. One must have protection. Off topic yes, but extremely important. There is no protection from the law in Thailand at the moment. Be safe. Take precautions. Security is of the utmost importance if you want to avoid being the victim. Your homes need solid CCTV structure, intense security, (killer dogs) and a gun under the pillow. No shit. This place is the wildest it's been in my 30 years here. I am on the inside, I know them personally. Some are even family.Take my advice.

I mean I don't get out much, it has to be said, but it doesn't seem any different to the last time I was here, or the time before that. In fact Roi-Et seems more civilised than ever.

I have installed security gates (of sorts) in the last month, but I'd been planning that for years, just never got around to it.

Just on a slight side note but connected ...The British Embassy has requested that the Thai authorities return his passport !

I so wish they would grow some balls!! Andy Hall for the most part is putting his neck on the line when most of the time it wouldn't be necessary if the Emabassy and UK government stood up and looked after there citizens correctly.. All this diplomacy &lt;deleted&gt; is okay when people's lives are not at stake or threatened or in Hannah and David's case extinguished and killers are still free to do similar again.. Come on British Government...a quiet word is all it probably would take. !

I would be curious as to why she edited and then removed the post. Had it been me, after the RTP threatened to sue me, I would have given them a lot more reason to be agitated. She should write an essay about the family's experience during its stay in Thailand and the specifics of the accusations she makes (Preferably with names and dates). Get it not only on Facebook but every other social media she can. Have it translated into Thai and broadcast it throughout the Thai social media as well. It would sure give the RTP something to devote hundreds of officers to in order to investigate every person who "Liked" her comments.

Just on a slight side note but connected ...The British Embassy has requested that the Thai authorities return his passport !

I so wish they would grow some balls!! Andy Hall for the most part is putting his neck on the line when most of the time it wouldn't be necessary if the Emabassy and UK government stood up and looked after there citizens correctly.. All this diplomacy <deleted> is okay when people's lives are not at stake or threatened or in Hannah and David's case extinguished and killers are still free to do similar again.. Come on British Government...a quiet word is all it probably would take. !

Nigeone, I feel with you and I'm with you. From today onward, I suggest you never again assume - or even think- that any government will give a personal toss about you or your beloved's well being. Because that unfortunately is the reality. They are c*nts and care about nothing but money, deals and influence.

REALITY 21STC = ANONYMOUS

I believe that Laura has disabled her facebook as the family was receiving nasty messages after her post.

Yes it is blocked..I accessed it a couple of days ago to confirm her post had been taken down and now the whole Facebook page is gone

I am a bit confused. The sister has some issues with the death of her sister and how it was investigated by the Thai police. She expresses this opinion on facebook in English directed at an audience of foreigners, NOT Thais. Apparently, the police do not like the criticism and want to have her posts "translated" into Thai to see if any Thai laws were broken. Part of my confusion is that whatever she did was not done in Thailand. So, if the translation reveals that some Thai law was violated, then.....Is it planned to seek her extradition from the UK? The underlying assertion here seems to be that whatever anyone writes on the internet is subject to Thai censorship, or a slander lawsuit?

Hopefully they won't use Google Translate :D

So if Thailand will prosecute her for negative remarks, what about all the TVF members comments? Should we be worried?

I think so.... the jail people for criticizing them on facebook..... judging by the comments here it will be a case of last one in jail close the door behind you!!!!!

Anyone get what I mean about misdirection?

PoorSucker: Posted Yesterday, 14:35 Continued here: http://www.thaivisa....land-criticism/

Police consider prosecuting Koh Tao victim's sister over Thailand criticism is the New Topic - the previous topic was Sister of murdered backpacker Hannah Witheridge receives death threats

I get it now, it has been moved from the Samui forum to the main news forum because the title of the forum is more acceptable?

Edited by TheLobster