Police consider prosecuting Koh Tao victim's sister over Thailand criticism

webfact

I'm so happy I moved from Thailand, the country is a mess facepalm.gif For tropical SEA livin' i think Cambodia or Burma is better. Thailand is becoming a disaster for foreigners and Thai laws are screwed up.

Hilarious post- ask the Rohingya about the concentration camps they live in in Burma which Aung San Suu Kyi refuses to condemn.

As for Cambodia and Hun Sen,an ex Khmer Rouge dictator who has no time for any opposition of any kind.

Which country in SE Asia has such a vibrant and free expat forum comparable to Thai Visa?

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Over the past couple of days, in open forum, I have asked what a troll and a shill is/ are

I now know the simple answer... Lucky 11... Hey.... How much does a shill make?

You've given me two likes now. Can I conclude from that, that I'm not such a bad shill after all?

I think that I'll try to put my points over in a little less of a confrontational manner in the future as I don't want to come over as being 'all nasty'.

I shall still fight my corner though!! Whether it is against Yingluck or on the Koh Tao threads. I don't think you'd expect any different of me in this respect.

It would be a big plus if you stopped defending the indefensible, and sticking to your POV after you've been comprehensively proven wrong, as you did on the Jonathan Head tweet discussion.

Oh crap! Time for the Mods to start deleting half the content on the TV servers. ermm.gif Start by deleting all the threads on the Koh Tao murders, lock, stock, and barrel.

Edited by connda

Out of curiosity: Why and by whom has Laura's FB page been taken down? Is this a Facebook decision and if so, on what grounds? Or can this be a UK Gov decision? Surely, we are free to voice our opinions on FB and I find it kind of a drastic action that Laura's page has been taken down completely.

Not that it makes any difference since a copy of her FB post is published all over in the world press...... but still, who blocked her posts then and why?

Maybe she realized accusations without any evidence or proof would not help the Burmese 2 and would simply anger the Thai authorities. I imagine the lawyers for the Burmese 2 and /or Andy Hall told her it was counter productive.

The English authorities couldn't order her to delete her post, England is a first world country, far more civilized than Thailand according to several posters, freedom and civil rights are respected there, no way could the authorities remove the post, surely?

Thais never understand that by trying to save face they lose more face to the outside world who don't give a monkey's about their silly rules and etiquette. The problem is that they take themselves so seriously when everyone else just looks on rolling their eyes. How long can the world keep humouring these childish morons ?

I have been told by some Thais they don't care what the world thinks, it is their country. An insight into how many every day average Thais think? Hence the leadership seem to do what they damn well please and up urs sad.pngwai.gif

They have given very little to the world, apart from Red Bull and an Ebola cure, so perhaps they feel "the world" should butt out on their internal affairs? Just saying whistling.gif

This isn't an 'internal affair'. It involves British and Burmese nationals (and rather a lot of associated injustice). The world is perfectly entitled to not butt out.

oohh Asians don't take criticism to well do they?

No! The concept of 'face' is something you have to put up with when living here. And that's all this is. Nothing further will happen but the police have made their point.

I'm not so sure that's it anymore.

Let's face it, alot of us who are not thai criticize whatever goes on by saying it's 'thainess.' But to a thais view, thainess encompasses all things positive about the country, culture, and mannerisms. Same as 'saving face' but in reality it's something that they consider to keep them on the straight and narrow.

Let's get real - some (not all) get embarrassed and start pulling tricks out of the hat. That's not thainess and saving face - that's being embarrassed and playing dirty. Of course one wouldn't be ashamed of something they did if it wasn't worthy of shame ...

My support goes out to Hannah's sister. She's knows what's going on and isn't going to sugar coat a thing - that's admirable (from a foreign perspective). If there was a way to get the whole world to see this, that would be ideal.

My concern is it won't be enough (I hope I'm wrong and this time is different .... but you know what they say about history repeating itself). Tourists have this idea of paradise and fun, and it's a priority on their bucket list - that with a 'well, it won't happen to me' attitude and there you go. There are many places here that are safe, we all know that - it's the constant running around in circles that give thailand a bad image, and when it's done by those RTP, it really highlights a problem.

Regarding the alleged comments made to her by Thai officials, I don't find them credible. Why did she not report them while she was in Thailand?

OMG...are you serious too...report to who..!?? The police...yeah right, that's going to go far isn't it....I mean the RTP are the ones making the threats and suggestions . The RTP are the ones who fixed and arranged for the B2 to be framed. The RTP are the ones who took money to let the media in to compound their grief , !! For money ! Wake up and don't make stupid suggestions. There is nobody in Thailand to complain to over something like this and I include sadly the British Embassy..Sadly you would have more luck with the tourist police ! And that says it all..

To :- lucky11

I'm sorry you appear to be confused by the obvious, so for you I'll spell out what you don't seem to understand...

You posted Today, 14:10

Question - Why should I feel the need to comment on your lack of desire to visit the US? I'm not going to attempt to force you to, or anything like it.

My Answer - I wasn't asking for a response about visiting the USA. I was asking for a response to my suggestion that in addition to the 'standard' Gov't warnings issued to potential travellers to Thailand there should be more. The additional warnings should advise tourists not to expect unbiased, free assistance from neither the UK FCO in Bangkok nor the Thai authorities, in the event of a serious incident happening.

Question - Do you always change your mind about something so quickly? Firstly, you say that you are not going to comment on my post and the next minute you comment on it. Make your mind up!!

My Answer - You really should try to understand the difference between a comment and a response to a post. I can respond to a post by saying "No comment", which is what I meant when you introduced the Mirror newspaper into the thread. A typical deflection/baiting on your part. Furthermore, the Mirror is your newspaper of choice, not mine, so don't deliberately post your usual 'mis-information', as I've not bought or read a UK newspaper for at least 5 years.

Finally, I've not changed my mind/opinion of you as previously stated, and hopefully you understand that quite clearly.

Edited by joebrown

The two Bumese guy's lives are in grave danger, this whole thing is getting out of complete control.

I fear they will be silenced once and for all....very soon.

I don't think this is going to go away either way and will just gain more publicity if the B2 are helped off a 3rd story balcony.

This young lady deserves answers, truthful and believable ones.

Correct me if I am wrong but didn't her FB post contain a lot of expletives. If I am right then the words used certainly do not put her in the category of being a lady, young maybe but not the former, however if I am wrong, then I stand corrrected.

Your wrong....the expletives came from the a friend of the latest guy to die...Laura was in the circumstances very adult and respectful with her language. Not sure I would be with what's happened to her sister and what allegedly has gone on since ! And before you say how do I know etc. If it's a toss up between Laura 's version and the RTP Laura would win hands down..

The two Bumese guy's lives are in grave danger, this whole thing is getting out of complete control.

I don't think this is going to go away either way and will just gain more publicity if the B2 are helped off a 3rd story balcony.

Correct me if I am wrong but didn't her FB post contain a lot of expletives. If I am right then the words used certainly do not put her in the category of being a lady, young maybe but not the former, however if I am wrong, then I stand corrrected.

If we want to judge character I think you should take a look at the picture of what the/these gentleman/gentlemen did to her sister. Had this been done to your daughter or sister I think you might have a different tune. Correct me if I'm wrong, until she gets honest answers I think she can say whatever she wants.

If we want to judge character I think you should take a look at the picture of what the/these gentleman/gentlemen did to her sister. Had this been done to your daughter or sister I think you might have a different tune. Correct me if I'm wrong, until she gets honest answers I think she can say whatever she wants.

The problem is, that you are assuming that what she claims is true (you believe it to be so, I don't)!! Even if it was true, that does not give her free licence to say anything she wants.

Anybody wanting to do this should accept the implications of what they say in regards to the consequences of the damage it causes to the injured party - whether they deem it to be justifiable or not. Freedom of speech has it's limits, and rightly so!!

Your wrong....the expletives came from the a friend of the latest guy to die...Laura was in the circumstances very adult and respectful with her language. Not sure I would be with what's happened to her sister and what allegedly has gone on since ! And before you say how do I know etc. If it's a toss up between Laura 's version and the RTP Laura would win hands down..

.......in your view.

Out of curiosity: Why and by whom has Laura's FB page been taken down? Is this a Facebook decision and if so, on what grounds? Or can this be a UK Gov decision? Surely, we are free to voice our opinions on FB and I find it kind of a drastic action that Laura's page has been taken down completely.

Not that it makes any difference since a copy of her FB post is published all over in the world press...... but still, who blocked her posts then and why?

Maybe she realized accusations without any evidence or proof would not help the Burmese 2 and would simply anger the Thai authorities. I imagine the lawyers for the Burmese 2 and /or Andy Hall told her it was counter productive.

The English authorities couldn't order her to delete her post, England is a first world country, far more civilized than Thailand according to several posters, freedom and civil rights are respected there, no way could the authorities remove the post, surely?

Hmmmm, I would not put it past the UK authorities to take some kind of action and block Laura's FB page. The UK is not what we want to believe it is in view of role model justice and seeing that they are not forthcoming with their own findings about this case.. not exactly leading by example.

Looking back to outrageous UK court rulings, Dr David Kelly - investigator found it is not in the public interest to pursue allegations that Dr Kelly was murdered and locked all court files for the next 70 years! Or: attempts to hold certain trials in closed court rooms, family court cases being dealt with behind closed doors and a ban on reporting by the press in such cases......No, the UK also has a lot to answer for and I find it very worrying that they may - just may have - issued a gagging order here........

Thais never understand that by trying to save face they lose more face to the outside world who don't give a monkey's about their silly rules and etiquette. The problem is that they take themselves so seriously when everyone else just looks on rolling their eyes. How long can the world keep humouring these childish morons ?

I have been told by some Thais they don't care what the world thinks, it is their country. An insight into how many every day average Thais think? Hence the leadership seem to do what they damn well please and up urs sad.pngwai.gif

They have given very little to the world, apart from Red Bull and an Ebola cure, so perhaps they feel "the world" should butt out on their internal affairs? Just saying whistling.gif

This isn't an 'internal affair'. It involves British and Burmese nationals (and rather a lot of associated injustice). The world is perfectly entitled to not butt out.

The allies turned a blind eye to the concentration camps, until they actually found one

Apartheid was largely ignored

Pol pot was left to run riot

Argentinian death squads conducted wholesale exterminated of undesirables

All examples of shared world wide shame

If Thailand, as an emerging south East Asian country, wants to play on the big stage, it must also be prepared to be scrutinized... Just as a movie star should not complain about having a fan base

And Thailand is a member of the United Nations, and that too comes with some expectations by the world wide community.... So, if they want to belong to the UN, then every member state has the right to "butt in", to maintain its reputation and effectiveness as an organization.

"the UK also has a lot to answer for and I find it very worrying that they may - just may have - issued a gagging order here........"

Not to worry JusticeKT:

"Hannah’s sister Laura Witheridge,... denounced “police bungling” of the case on a Facebook post a few days ago that has since been blocked by Thai authorities."

Well, that answers that question.

Edited by iReason

So if Thailand will prosecute her for negative remarks, what about all the TVF members comments? Should we be worried?

If you have made negative comments,yes; it is against the law in Thailand.

As is being non- (wealthy and/or connected) Thai in most cases. Which laws are these you speak of? The ones they make up as they go along, selected dependent upon the bank account and status you may or may not have? People are better off just staying the <deleted> out of the place if they refuse to clean their acts up and at least attempt to become a civilised entity.

The problem is, that you are assuming that what she claims is true (you believe it to be so, I don't)!! Even if it was true, that does not give her free licence to say anything she wants.
Anybody wanting to do this should accept the implications of what they say in regards to the consequences of the damage it causes to the injured party - whether they deem it to be justifiable or not. Freedom of speech has it's limits, and rightly so!!

Firstly, I never assumed what she's claiming is true but iit is more believable than what the prosecution brought on the table.

She brought the accusations out and the response from RTP is to bring out threats of a lawsuit for defamation? I really think they should be addressing her accusations more than threat of a lawsuit, that is a complete and thorough investigation that will satisfy the family of the victim which have no more voice.

Sorry to read about your naïveness. She has something you and I don't and that is intuition, many of investigations begin with simply that. Who knows this may very well have set in after experiencing firsthand all of the parties that may or may not have been involved while visiting. Something set her off and there is a multitude of doubt over this current investigation.

If you're conclusions are only DNA did you know that can be planted? Then B2 Confessions have been retracted and accusations of being tortured were publicized.

The facts in this case very well could have been fabricated, it is possible.

You must not know what really goes on in this little part of the world. Believe what you want but please be a little bit more convincing in your post.

A very good summary of the farce so far..

http://thediplomat.com/2016/01/thai-murders-local-justice-on-trial/

Well worth a read and puts a lot of the pertinent stuff together in one report

sorry iReason looks like you beat me to it!

Did you notice this? whistling.gif

"Having a dedicated agency to take care of national cyber security is a must. Instead of trying to find the culprit or even a scapegoat, it's better to have an efficient management and an effective approach...'

If it is true, and unlike you I'm sure it is. It gives her every right to say anything she wants...And who is the injured party ? Hannah or the RTP ?! Or even the B2 and there families . She hasn't done anything wrong and if freedom of speech was allowed and supported in Thailand you would be blown away by the stories form Thai people of the wrong doings that they have to put up with !! Try asking in a semi public place in the sticks even about something controversial and watch the Thai s in your company shush you up for fear of problems..try it ! There scared stiff of speaking out ..Laura is a credit to herself,her family and humanity and her lovely sister Hannah would be proud of her for having the courage to post...I personally think she hasn't finished speaking and more will come out...

I'm so happy I moved from Thailand, the country is a mess facepalm.gif For tropical SEA livin' i think Cambodia or Burma is better. Thailand is becoming a disaster for foreigners and Thai laws are screwed up.

Hilarious post- ask the Rohingya about the concentration camps they live in in Burma which Aung San Suu Kyi refuses to condemn.

As for Cambodia and Hun Sen,an ex Khmer Rouge dictator who has no time for any opposition of any kind.

Which country in SE Asia has such a vibrant and free expat forum comparable to Thai Visa?

There's no nationalistic chest-thumping or farang bashing at any opportunity in Cambodia. I'll not comment on HS :-)

I honestly believe the vast majority of Thai males (+ a sizeable number of females probably can be added to that) would be more than happy if they never had to see another farang again their entire lives. Too much competition for their fragile little ego's.

Edited by Luang

If it is true, and unlike you I'm sure it is. It gives her every right to say anything she wants...And who is the injured party ? Hannah or the RTP ?! Or even the B2 and there families . She hasn't done anything wrong and if freedom of speech was allowed and supported in Thailand you would be blown away by the stories form Thai people of the wrong doings that they have to put up with !! Try asking in a semi public place in the sticks even about something controversial and watch the Thai s in your company shush you up for fear of problems..try it ! There scared stuff of speaking out ..Laura is a credit to herself,her family and humanity and her lovely sister Hannah would be proud of her for having the courage to post...I personally think she hasn't finished speaking and more will come out...

People like Lucky11 wish that Laura has finished speaking though.

As an aside, I'm not sure how many in these Koh Tao debates are aware of the fact that Voraphan Tuvichien was an organiser and right-hand man of Suthep Thaugsuban for the PCAD/PDRC protests in 2014. What do you think are the political leanings of most of the more prolific pro-Koh Tao posters? I know the answer, I've had a look wink.png . While most posters have the moral fortitude to put their political sympathy (wherever it lies) aside in this horrendous crime, it seems a few may not have such scruples.

Thai Murders - Local Justice On Trial

Excellent summary of the case from "The Diplomat"

http://thediplomat.com/2016/01/thai-murders-local-justice-on-trial/

The Diplomat states that Laura's Facebook page has been blocked by Thai authorities. Anyone outside Thailand can still see it or was that a slip of the pen?

I am currently in Germany and I have not been able to access the page for days now..... it is blocked.

Just do it go and sue the girl....like putting out the fire with gasoline

And watch the world unite in destroying Thailand's Tourist industry and flagging reputation.

The most staggering thing is that foreign powers are voting with their chequebooks in that figures released the other day show foreign investment down something like a whopping 80 % since the coup. Now they want to destroy the tourist industry with more stupidity, where will it all end, not very well I suspect.The junta does not care.

A poster above asked another poster above if he was aware that the RTP are not the junta, well I stand to be corrected but I believe the military, the police, the courts, the universities are all under the control and orders of the junta and therefore, yes the RTP are the junta.

I suppose that Prayut told the judge to deliver the guilty verdict!!

Mmmmmmmmmm.......