Fewer than 100 Guantanamo prisoners left as 10 leave to Oman

webfact

Fewer than 100 Guantanamo prisoners left as 10 leave to Oman
By BEN FOX

MIAMI (AP) — Ten prisoners from Yemen who were held at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, have been released and sent to the Middle Eastern nation of Oman for resettlement, officials said Thursday, portraying it as a significant milestone in the long-stalled effort to shutter the detention center.

The release, among the largest on a single day under President Barack Obama, puts the prison population below 100 for the first time since shortly after it opened in January 2002 to hold men suspected of links to al-Qaida and the Taliban. There are now 93 still held.

Lee Wolosky, the State Department's special envoy for Guantanamo Closure, said the U.S. expects to transfer the remaining prisoners who are cleared to leave, about a third of the total, by summer.

Guantanamo held nearly 680 prisoners at its peak in 2003 and about 245 when Obama took office, pledging to close it as a symbol of overreach in the war against terrorism and a needless propaganda symbol for enemies of the United States.

Defense Secretary Ash Carter announced the release of the Yemenis at a change-of-command ceremony in Miami at U.S. Southern Command, which oversees Guantanamo. He said the administration would submit a plan to Congress, where many want to keep the prison open, to move those who can't be freed to a facility within the United States.

"Not everyone in Gitmo can be safely transferred to another country, so we need an alternative," Carter said, using a common abbreviated name for the base on the southeastern edge of Cuba.

A White House official confirmed that Obama's national security team recently received a new version of the plan and was making final revisions.

Marine Gen. John F. Kelly, who turned over leadership of Southern Command to Navy Vice Adm. Kurt W. Tidd at Thursday's ceremony, said before the event that the military would still need a place to hold captured detainees indefinitely, but he conceded that as the population dwindles, "Guantanamo will probably close sooner rather than later."

The 10 men who left Guantanamo late Tuesday were among several dozen from Yemen who could not be sent back to their homeland, which is embroiled in a civil war. All were deemed low-level enemy combatants and cleared for transfer since at least 2010. The prisoners included one who was 17 when captured and another who the government conceded had only briefly served as a Taliban medic. None were ever charged.

David Remes, a lawyer for three of the men, said two, Mukhtar al Warafi and Saeed Hatim, got down on their knees and prayed in December when they learned they would be released. The third, Fahmi Ahmed, at first wasn't sure whether to believe it and wanted proof when he got word this week.

"The men learned to lower their expectations and indeed to have no expectations so that everything good is a surprise," Remes said in a phone interview from the base. "But this was a joyful surprise."

Sen. Kelly Ayotte, a prominent advocate for keeping the detention center open, criticized the decision to transfer the men to Oman, which borders their homeland along the Arabian Sea. Congress has prohibited the transfer of any Guantanamo detainees to Yemen, as well as to the United States, a law the White House is seeking to change.

"Any Obama administration decision to transfer a large number of Yemeni detainees from Guantanamo to Oman would represent a thinly veiled attempt to undercut the will of Congress and would further endanger the American people," Ayotte said.

Carter said the decision to resettle the men in Oman was made only after a thorough security review. Ian Moss, chief of staff to the State Department's special envoy, said it would be wrong to continue holding men just because of their Yemeni nationality.

"If we as a government have determined that an individual can and should be transferred from Guantanamo responsibly and we've identified an appropriate resettlement location, like Oman, then we will transfer them," Moss said.

Oman, which has cultivated closer ties to the U.S., has taken 20 foreign prisoners for resettlement, including 10 last year.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs said the detainees were taken at the request of Washington and based on humanitarian considerations. A statement described their stay as "temporary" though detainee resettlements are generally expected to be long-term.

Advocates for closing the prison were cautiously optimistic this latest transfer reflected momentum to shutter the facility. Attorney Brian Foster, whose firm represents 14 Yemenis, including two released this week, said he was at least relieved for those who finally made it out.

"It's long past time," Foster said. "It would have been better for everybody if they had done this a whole lot sooner, but better late than never I guess."

The next step, a White House plan to hold detainees in the United States, would be submitted to Congress soon, said National Security Council spokesman Myles Caggins. The Pentagon recently revised an earlier version that was rejected over concerns that cost estimates weren't accurate.

"We recognize time is of the essence," Caggins said.
___

Associated Press writers Adam Schreck in Dubai, United Arab Emirates, and Kathleen Hennessey in Washington contributed to this report.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2016-01-15

Well, this is just another idiotic decision by Obama, to release more terrorists so he can shut down Guantanamo. Obama is still an amateur on the world stage even after seven long tortures years of on-the-job-training. It's mind boggling how anyone of sound mind could possibly support this guy.

Obama has promised to close Guantanamo before the end of his office. Good. It is a stain on USA's credibility and undermines any legitimate complaint it may have about treatment of its own soldiers when captured.

If the prisoners were guilty of crimes under US law, then try and sentence them in US courts. Habeas corpus has been around for almost 1,000 years now. It was hypocritical of the bastion of freedom and democracy to trample over it. We then descend to the level of the people we are fighting.

Edited by dexterm

How can a country with a history of such poor human rights criticize any other country. Do as I say, not as I do.

You mean like take and hold prisoners of war, or lock up known terrorists? I suppose your country has never done such a thing?

My country charges them or releases them after 28 days, but doesn't hold them for decades without charges.

How can a country with a history of such poor human rights criticize any other country. Do as I say, not as I do.

You mean like take and hold prisoners of war, or lock up known terrorists? I suppose your country has never done such a thing?

Where is your evidence?

Why wasn't it produced to a court ?

Thought so, we will mark you comments down as more ramblings shall we?

My country charges them or releases them after 28 days, but doesn't hold them for decades without charges.

...........and what country would that be??????

...........and what country would that be??????

Any civilized country, make your choice.

First of all, prisoners of war are captured on the battlefield, not kidnapped abroad.

Second, terrorists are charged, because if you don't that means you have no claims.

Most of these so-called terrorists were farmers defending their country, their people, and their religion from invaders, plain and simple...who among you would not do the same? Sure, a few were bad guys...charge them and get on with it. But 13 years in a hole because someone from a different tribe fingered you for a bribe? Sorry, but there is nothing American about that.

Would your country like to have 93 more? I know where some are.

Well, this is just another idiotic decision by Obama, to release more terrorists so he can shut down Guantanamo. Obama is still an amateur on the world stage even after seven long tortures years of on-the-job-training. It's mind boggling how anyone of sound mind could possibly support this guy.

What terrorists are being released?

Would your country like to have 93 more? I know where some are.

What has my country to do with this, they didn't go kidnap them in their home country.

These people are prisoners of war in the battle against Islamic terrorism. The last time I checked, prisoners of war are not usually released until a war is over. Of all the things to loose sleep over, one would think these dirt bags would be on the bottom of the list. It never ceases to amaze me the topics liberals get hysterical over.

These people are prisoners of war in the battle against Islamic terrorism. The last time I checked, prisoners of war are not usually released until a war is over. Of all the things to loose sleep over, one would think these dirt bags would be on the bottom of the list. It never ceases to amaze me the topics liberals get hysterical over.

They are not prisoners of war.

Who are the dirt bags, what did they do?

Edited by Linky

lol, they are not prisoners of war???? What are they shoplifters? I believe the dirt bags would be the ones occupying prison cells. As far as what they did, I didn't take them into custody nor did I play a part in their capture. Please direct that question to the people running Guantanamo Bay. You may want to consider rubbing those sleepy little eyes and wake up.

lol, they are not prisoners of war???? What are they shoplifters? I believe the dirt bags would be the ones occupying prison cells. As far as what they did, I didn't take them into custody nor did I play a part in their capture. Please direct that question to the people running Guantanamo Bay. You may want to consider rubbing those sleepy little eyes and wake up.

One assumes that you are awake but you continue to make such dosey comments.

Not unexpectedly, you are completely off the mark twice in your so-called 'analysis' of the situation.

Under the Geneva Convention https://www.icrc.org/applic/ihl/ihl.nsf/7c4d08d9b287a42141256739003e636b/6fef854a3517b75ac125641e004a9e68 Ref 4.2.b, a POW must be a member of a military command structure with representative insignia identifiable at a distance i.e. in uniform or similar. None of the detainees in Guantanamo Bay fit that requirement. The US consequently is guilty of war crimes under the Geneva Convention.

The term POW also requires that there be a recognised and declared armed conflict. The Authorisation of Use of Military Force approved by Congress in 2001 provided the authorisation only to respond to the perpetrators of the 9/11 attacks. The AUMF was used to justify the invasion of Afghanistan, even though the Government of Afghanistan at the time were not identified as perpetrators of the 9/11 attacks. Of even greater concern is that there has been no authorisation for the invasion of Iraq, not even protective resolutions by the UN Security Council, let alone any Acts of Congress and Congress still refuses to authorise any action against ISIS, despite multiple requests from the Obama Administration.

POW' are only released after the war is over. What war would that be? The War on Terrorism? This is a legal fiction as is Guantanamo Bay design to circumvent established and recognised International Law. In a just World, US officials would be tried for War Crimes for their unilateral, illegal and absolutely botched military adventurism in Afghanistan, Iraq and other countries.

You may go back to sleep now. We hysterical Lefties have done with you.

Edited by lostboy

Take it up with the US govt. they are not prisoners of war, they are enemy combatants. The US refuses to call them prisoners of war because they dont want them having any legal rights. As enemy combatants they have no legal standing.

Not all in Guantanamo were captured on the battlefield. One was a taxi driver, some in bosnia, pakistan, even 2 guys on a business trip in Gambia.

So i asked you a question, who are the dirtbags? Or are you just using it as a generic term without knowing who are still in custody or what they are supposed to have done. Strange you call them that when they face no charges.

No need to thank me for the lesson.

Edited by Linky