End of contract, end of visa right?

I am certain that this question has been already asked, so I am sorry to be riposting. The problem is, I am unable to find it. If someone could link me to the proper information I will delete this post to save you guys from the clutter.

With that out of the way here goes. I am working with a company which takes care of all of my visa, 90 day reporting, etc. I have decided I no longer want to live in Bangkok, so I will not be resigning with my company in March. I have been told that this will mean I will have 24 hours to do something(?), must I do a boarder run in order to get a tourist visa? What can I expect? What will my obligations be once I am no longer employed by the company? I am planning on leaving the country somewhere close to 3 days after my contract has been ended.

Thank you in advance.

I think it's Non-B...How can I be sure?

Wow...how can you not know ?

In your passport what does it show ? The process is first you get a 90 day Non-B....then usually you will apply for an extension based upon work which essentially invalidates the Non-B.

How long ago did you get the Non-B ? If greater than 90 days ago..then you are on an extension.

if on extension....your permission to stay ends the day you stop working....you can apply for a 7 day grace period to allow you time to sort your plans.

If Non-B still valid...then you can use it all up to 90 days

Read your passport !!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Do you report to Immigration every 90 days?

OR

Do you leave the country every 90 days?

Per his original post, it would appear he does 90 day reports or has them done for him.

"I am working with a company which takes care of all of my visa, 90 day reporting, etc. "

But then he also says:

...so I will not be resigning with my company in March.

Not sure what the point of the post is if he isn't resigning or does he mean he won't be signing a new contract?

Edited by Suradit69

OR

Per his original post, it would appear someone does 90 day reports or has them done for him.

"I am working with a company which takes care of all of my visa, 90 day reporting, etc. "

In which case he will have an extension of stay which ends on the date his employment ends.

When your contract finishes so does your work permit and B visa.....and you have about 24 hours to get out....

You can get a 7 day extension I believe.

Most people make some kind of "arrangement" with the company that has to notify the relevant authorities (DoLabor and Immigration) which gives them a bit of time.

You can't stay in on you "B" visa extension if it is tied to that job.

OR

Per his original post, it would appear he does 90 day reports or has them done for him.

But then he also says:

Not sure what the point of the post is if he isn't resigning or does he mean he won't be signing a new contract?

Yes - needs clarification....maybe he mens "re-signing"?

Edited by Loeilad

OR

But then he also says:

I took it as he will not continue his employment with that company....thus not re-signing (or he is resigning).

The OP as written is confusing. Not resigning?

You must know your type of visa. Just look in your passport.

If its non immigration B, it ends when you leave your job, as does your work permit.

So if leaving in march, simply organise a new different visa to be ready by that date.

If its non immigration B, it ends when you leave your job, as does your work permit.

So if leaving in march, simply organise a new different visa to be ready by that date.

A Non Imm B Visa does not end when your employment ends.

An Extension of Stay does.

Here what I did. Company dod not renew contract. They cancelled work permit and at same NonB visa also cancelled. Got 7 extention. Next day went to Chaengwattana immigration and applied for NonO visa with 1 year extention based on retirement. I suggest you coordinate with your former employer to make the timing work for you.

A lawyer told me before if you still show a valid visa in your passport and go out to Thai embassies they wont give you a different visa untill the valid visa is expired or stamped cancelled.

Non Imm B; B stands for business, explicitly on the basis of having a job, and the visa is linked to the job and work permit. Dont have the job anymore, dont have a valid visa. thats just the way it is.

Non Imm B; B stands for business, explicitly on the basis of having a job, and the visa is linked to the job and work permit. Dont have the job anymore, dont have a valid visa. thats just the way it is.

STOP POST ! You are wrong, because you clearly do not know the correct terminology !

STOP POST ! You are wrong, because you clearly do not know the correct terminology !

Oh I'm sorry, B stands for what then? Please do correct the terminology.

Yeah you do not need an actual job to hold a B visa.

http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4908/15388-Non-Immigrant-Visa-%22B%22-(for-Business-and.html

Yeah you do not need an actual job to hold a B visa.

http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4908/15388-Non-Immigrant-Visa-%22B%22-(for-Business-and.html

We write but a few words here. The full visa rules are easily available. Pointless not picking between few words here and full rules. OP must read full rules.

If you apply for a B based on X, you must do X and not Y. If X stops, and X was awarded on basis of you only doing X, then you are in danger my friend, if you start Y. Want to do Y, then get a B and a WP that specifically covers Y. Get it?

Outcome for the OP? Switching jobs? Then new employer should take care of it all, and start a new B and WP for your new job. Bumming around? Then get a visa that suits for that.

Try and stay in LoS on a B without a job, and you'll run into trouble somewhere down the line, at the mercy of which way the wind blows and the individual people you deal with across the desk...very risky.

Best of luck.

whistling.gif The visa and any work permit/extension are two different things.

If he leaves his job the work permit is no longer valid and is turned back in to the Labor department.

What is crucial is when his original visa expires.

If his visa is already expired then he needs to leave the country to get another visa of some kind to allow him to stay in country.

If his original visa has not expired yet, he can stay here until it does expire.

From the original post the information is a bit confusing.

But he speaks of doing 90 day report it seems likely his original visa has already expired and he Is here on an extension. which indicates he has a work extension.

If is here on an extension to work that extension will end when he resigns or quits his job by not signing another contract.

Then he will have tto eave the country or find some way to get another visa to remain in the country.

whistling.gif The visa and any work permit/extension are two different things.

If he leaves his job the work permit is no longer valid and is turned back in to the Labor department.

What is crucial is when his original visa expires.

If his visa is already expired then he needs to leave the country to get another visa of some kind to allow him to stay in country.

If his original visa has not expired yet, he can stay here until it does expire.

From the original post the information is a bit confusing.

But he speaks of doing 90 day report it seems likely his original visa has already expired and he Is here on an extension. which indicates he has a work extension.

If is here on an extension to work that extension will end when he resigns or quits his job by not signing another contract.

Then he will have tto eave the country or find some way to get another visa to remain in the country.

Thank you for not only being correct, but succinct.

If only others would/could follow your example......

You're Welcome!! smile.png

Visas issued by an embassy or consulate do not end when the reason they were issued for ends

Only the extension of an entry from a visa done by immigration ends when the reason for it ends.

....hence running into problems somewhere down the line. Best he tidies his affairs up and gets a visa that fits his circumstance...anything else will LEAD to problems.

Visas issued by an embassy or consulate do not end when the reason they were issued for ends

Only the extension of an entry from a visa done by immigration ends when the reason for it ends.

....hence running into problems somewhere down the line. Best he tidies his affairs up and gets a visa that fits his circumstance...anything else will LEAD to problems.

What problems could the OP possibly run into ?

The Visa is in no way tied to the employment or employer and remains valid until it's expiry date regardless of what happens with the job.

Why do you struggle to understand this ?

• Like 2

Wrong!!

Just as a point of note, your extension does not necessarily end on your last day of work. It ends when the work permit is cancelled.

If it is an amicable separation from your employer, the former employer can hold back the cancellation of the work permit giving you some latitude to sort yourself out.