Fresh start in Thailand for an uneducated schmuck...where to begin?

ijmenevado

I guess in the research the OP already did, he did not stumble upon the fact that foreigners CANNOT do most jobs in Thailand.

OP mentions washing dishes, scrubbing toilets, being a bartender.............menial jobs...........those are all jobs that a foreigner,

or at least a westerner, are not allowed to do and for which you would never get a work permit.

Sure, there are plenty of Burmese people doing menial jobs in Thailand, but you OP do not fall within that category.

The list of jobs/work a foreigner, that is a westerner, can do in Thailand is not long and it is safe to say that any of those jobs

requires some sort of education degree and experience.

I think any degree will make it possible for you to become a TEFL-er, teaching English, for about THB 35K per month.

So OP, you might be willing to do menial jobs, but you are simply not allowed to do such jobs here.

You said you only want to work so you can get a long term visa, well in that case you get marry a Thai girl and get a 1-year Non O visa.

Or, as another poster above said, arrange an investment visa, or get an Elite Card.

OP, another aspect you might underestimate, is that Thailand is not really that cheap as you make it sound in your OP.

Sure, there are options for cheap accommodation, you can get cheap meals etc. But that gets bored soon as well.

That's more for surviving, which is what most TEFL teachers on 35K baht p/m do.

As soon as you want to go sightseeing, travel around Thailand, go fine dinning etc etc. the costs rise quickly.

You also mentioned you want to get married, get residency, start a family.

If you want to really have a good quality of live for your future family, that amount above is not gonna cut it.

Note that I mentioned good quality of live....that's not living out of a 20 sqm room, eating 30 baht rice meals everyday with a beer.

I assume you will live in Bangkok?

In any case, to each their own.

smile.png

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clearly you try to find a formula for a good lifestyle. But there are no shortcuts unfortunately. You need money to survive. Money to have a wife. Education if you want work here. You seem to have none. I understand that you have same view as most of us coming here. You can stay here on education visa many years. The issue is it costs ofc. Open a shop and let your gf work is an alternative and cheap. I am 45. Have worked 28 years 12h nightshift. 3 weeks and 1 week of. I am now enjoying my life in Thailand 3 years already. If you try to cheat the system by not having to work some years and try to stay without some cash and plans. Ill soon find you on the street with the other alcoholics.

My best wishes to you in the future

If I was the OP, I'd wing it.

Why take the advice of a bunch of sour old wheezers who've crawled off a plane at Suvarnabhumi at 60+ with gout, a trick hip and a prostate the size of a beachball?

Enjoy what Thailand has to offer with your faculties intact, not worrying that a heavy night on the lash trying to keep up with your 25 year old hotty in the sack will have you laid out on a gurney being wheeled into a government hospital.

There are lots of jobs on Craigslist that involve working online from the comfort of your home in BKK. Stuff like article writing, freelance letting agent etc

He could do that while doing some kind of distance learning.

Forget teaching - that's bullshit.

More rubbish from you 're stirring the pot about elderly folk here. We didn't all come of plane broken men as you describe. I encourage younger people to give it a go here.

Your so bitter about the retired people here. Common thread in all your posts.

Why take the advice of a bunch of sour old wheezers who've crawled off a plane at Suvarnabhumi at 60+ with gout, a trick hip and a prostate the size of a beachball?

Enjoy what Thailand has to offer with your faculties intact, not worrying that a heavy night on the lash trying to keep up with your 25 year old hotty in the sack will have you laid out on a gurney being wheeled into a government hospital.

There are lots of jobs on Craigslist that involve working online from the comfort of your home in BKK. Stuff like article writing, freelance letting agent etc

More rubbish from you 're stirring the pot about elderly folk here. We didn't all come of plane broken men as you describe. I encourage younger people to give it a go here.

Whatever, mate

I've no bitterness towards retired people.

I just don't like the more condescending members of the demographic talking down to a young fella that just wants a little advice.

The fact is, their way - 40 years of graft with a motivational picture of a beer bar and a skank dangled in front of their noses a la stick & carrot - AIN'T the only way and, 6 times outta 10, these paragons of common sense cock it up over here anyway.

Well, ijmenevado, i've read your whole thread. When you are as you describe yourself, don't ask and just give it a try. Make a METV, come here and find solutions when needed. There's no hurry to buy a condo and it's not easy to get a working permit (especially without any qualifications). But, nothing is impossible.

Oh look, it's the guy who posts asking if his good Thai girl is really a sex worker, just to confirm to himself what he wants to hear... prior to actually having arrived and met her yet.

3 pages later he's still posting wall of text novellas that nobody reads in their entirety justifying whatever the heck it is he came here to justify.

Come here and choose a tourist area to live in and see what arises. Know plenty of Westerners who have just came here and ended up getting some decent jobs.

Can you give an example of ONE. Please don't say teaching for 25k baht

Funny you should say teaching as i just wanted to live her so i came to Bangkok with my friend and we both did our TEFL course. After we passed we changed our minds about teaching as pay was usually low and we felt it wasnt really for us.

Anyway i picked up a job in Sales about 3 years ago and earning good money. My friend ended up getting a job with a synthetic grass company installing the turf around Asian but he is based in Bangkok.

After 2 years he got promoted and now he is the sales rep for South East Asia and earns 100k a month so it is possible. Nothing ventured noting gained!

A simple solution that would cost you a little money each month BUT I AM SURE WILL GET SLAMMED

There is a very in expensive BATESOL course that is run in country that you can get your education visa and do your thing all you have to do is get a minimum number of credits.

many of the students are teaching on line. This would allow you to get an Ed visa stay in country for 3-4 years and relax. There are a few months that you actually have to attend classes but it not that bad.

Whoknows you might even complete your degree

Sounds like a dream I had when I left school in the UK at age 15.

Unfortunately for me my parents didn't allow me to be the hippy, living in a tepee off the land.

Instead them made me a Bound Apprentice for 6 years and I went to night school and got the equivalent of a degree in Electrical Engineering.

Over the course of my 40 odd years of work, I changed job types several times.

Getting promotion each time. I ended up in IT, on good money.

I retired at 58 with a comfortable pension and most of my health intact and have been a pensioner since 2000!

Were my parents right to make that choice for me?

I have a secure retirement and have the wife (No.2) that I always wanted and am happy as can be.

I have many friends who did not plan well for their retirement and are jealous of my "good luck".

For starters obtain a copy of Thailand Fever and read it.

It will teach you things about your own culture as well as Thai culture.

That with a wife, you will be expected to support her parents, siblings and even step parents.

That's how it works here.

Generally Thais don't get a meaningful pension and their children support them.

As they supported their parents.

Elderly parents need hospital, Doctors and meds, all have to be paid for...

Great to have dreams though and good luck.

I like the posts that suggest coming over and giving it a go for a holiday and see what turns up.

Also read Stephen Leathers Private Dancer, it used to be a free PDF.

It will show you something about the honey traps that can catch a young chap here and possible consequences.

Anyway, all the best and good luck.

Unfortunately for me my parents didn't allow me to be the hippy, living in a tepee off the land.

Instead them made me a Bound Apprentice for 6 years and I went to night school and got the equivalent of a degree in Electrical Engineering.

I retired at 58 with a comfortable pension and most of my health intact and have been a pensioner since 2000!

I have a secure retirement and have the wife (No.2) that I always wanted and am happy as can be.

I have many friends who did not plan well for their retirement and are jealous of my "good luck".

That with a wife, you will be expected to support her parents, siblings and even step parents.

I like the posts that suggest coming over and giving it a go for a holiday and see what turns up.

It will show you something about the honey traps that can catch a young chap here and possible consequences.

As soon as you mentioned Thailand Fever, I tuned out

Cliched BS that couldn't be less relevant to modern day Thailand if it tried

Hardly anyone is stupid enough to support parents, siblings etc anymore . . . only dopes

Move on OP, nothing to see here

Whatever, mate

I just don't like the more condescending members of the demographic talking down to a young fella that just wants a little advice.

The fact is, their way - 40 years of graft with a motivational picture of a beer bar and a skank dangled in front of their noses a la stick & carrot - AIN'T the only way and, 6 times outta 10, these paragons of common sense cock it up over here anyway.

And what exactly is you contribution to this " young fella"? I gave advice based on 17 years of working experience in Thailand. Of course everything is possible but in such situations it is IMO better to give realistic advice. To end on a positive note, you clearly have writing talent :)

As soon as you mentioned Thailand Fever, I tuned out

Cliched BS that couldn't be less relevant to modern day Thailand if it tried

Hardly anyone is stupid enough to support parents, siblings etc anymore . . . only dopes

Move on OP, nothing to see here

I could agree with some of your post in that the support burden traditionally falls on the girls.

The boys go off and get their own families and tend to support less.

Perhaps it's a dying thing, but it is very much alive in the poorer Thai families.

And what exactly is you contribution to this " young fella"? I gave advice based on 17 years of working experience in Thailand. Of course everything is possible but in such situations it is IMO better to give realistic advice. To end on a positive note, you clearly have writing talent smile.png

My advice was fairly realistic

OP. Before I give any “advice” on your situation I would like to give you a brief idea of myself. There is a reason so bear with me.

Like you I am into music. Have played guitar to semi pro level for 40 years and now do music production for my own pleasure. At age 7 my music teacher told my mother to save her money as I had no musical talent whatsoever. Mum listened. I didn’t.

Careers advice at school told me I wasn’t smart enough to be the draughtsman that I thought I wanted to be at 14 years of age. For the last 10 years in the Middle East the system drawings that I did for my own benefit were used on the countrywide telecomms network.

I wanted to go to sea as a merchant navy radio officer but again my parents were advised that I wasn’t qualified or smart enough for that. Joined the Air Force and learned a trade. I have worked the last 40+ years in electronics and telecoms.

I am now retired (62) and, with my Thai wife, have a successful rice business in Bangkok. Damn! I would never have predicted that in a million years.

I have lived and worked in many places around the world including Oman, Singapore, Germany, Brunei, Cyprus, and Gibraltar. And guess what? I had to leave school with not one single qualification. We had no money and the family needed me to work. Simple as that.

I am not saying that lack of qualifications is a good thing, especially in the world as it is now which is a different place to when I was young and qualifications are deemed to be more important than they were then. What I am saying is keep trying to follow your dream. And if you really want to you will find a way. You are obviously a go getter and I admire that. I have met many very well qualified people in my time that were lacking in any ambition and many in common sense too.

Keep your head on your shoulders and go for it. Yes, plan for the future and do what you have to (If it includes going back to school then so be it) but don’t let anybody tell you “can’t do that”. If I had listened to all the “professional” advice I was given over the years I would definitely not had so much fun. Nobody knows what the future holds. You might live to be a hundred and you might fall under a bus next week.

Just three more quick points. First. There is a thing called an Elite Visa here in Thailand. It costs a lot (500,000 Baht) but might be worth having a look at that if you have the cash. Google it and search this forum. Loads of info available.

Second. Upgrade your ideas on the cost of living here. Yes, things are cheaper than in many places around the world but you say you are a big guy physically and the 30 – 40 baht meals you are talking about are for your average Thai person. My guess is you would need more calories. If you want food you are used to (we all do) it is not so cheap. Also things like aircons burn up electricity and if you are not used to high heat and humidity the cost can be quite high. I’m sure you are getting the picture. Think of a number then double it.

And finally. Unless you get offered a job such as by working for an international company, the legal job market here is virtually non-existent. If you can make money online then I think that may be about your only option as virtually all work here is exclusively for Thai nationals.

That’s my input and I am sure there will be many that disagree but the great thing about advice is you can ignore it if you want to.

Good luck and if you ever do make it here let us know on the forum.

You named your problem: lack of a 4 year college degree. Enroll in an online university and choose a major that is connected to jobs. You can get FAFSA for online degrees. Enroll in FAFSA quickly.Fill out forms. Get student loans from other sources. If you have a drug and/or alcohol problem seek help. McCormick Hospital specializes in Recovery groups. Think about it. Do you really want to post the same email from a different country four years from now? If you have parents willing to lend you a room, go home. Live for free and study hard. Go to AA at home. You can eat $1 meals at home. You could join your local military and work your butt off doing all of the above if your parents have given up on you. Networking isn't the answer. You are the answer.

Good luck. Work hard. Every problem has a solution. Sacrifice and hard work are part of the solution.

Dress it up as you will, put it any way you like, hide it from yourself or from others, but the motivation of the neophyte single male visitor to Thailand wishing to settle in this fair land is almost always based on pheromones.

And what exactly is you contribution to this " young fella"? I gave advice based on 17 years of working experience in Thailand. Of course everything is possible but in such situations it is IMO better to give realistic advice. To end on a positive note, you clearly have writing talent smile.png

Where is the work permit coming from?

Whatever, mate

cheesy.gif

Only another 30 years

to go and I can sit on a

barstool all day with a

porky bargirl in a mini

skirt on my lap calling

me hansum. 5555

Living the dream

In Thailand especially for a foreigner, if you don't have a degree you don't have a job.

You can create your own job, no degree necessary. My advise to the OP;

Work your ass off for 2+ years back where you are from. Save as much as possible. In the meantime keep networking online with Thais and foreigners who live in Thailand.

Some business opportunity in Thailand is bound to come up, or better think of something yourself. Invest the saved up 980,000 Baht in this idea and have an established partner in Thailand put 1,020,000 in it. Get registered and get yourself a work permit. After a few years you are either back home broke, having learned a lot and saving up for another go, or you made it and can apply for citizenship.

Good luck!!!

Where is the work permit coming from?

Who gives a monkey's about work permits?

Work from home online; who's gonna bother you?

You get your money paid into your account at home and transfer it in like everyone else

Anyone asks, your Thai bank statements show the money trail from "Falangistan"

Very few people get on in this world without bending the rules at one point or another in their working life

Come here and choose a tourist area to live in and see what arises. Know plenty of Westerners who have just came here and ended up getting some decent jobs.

Can you give an example of ONE. Please don't say teaching for 25k baht

Most of the westerners I know who live and work in/out of Thailand or who are based here are highly qualified and work for western companies as I once did. I still got jobs here after I quit the company and went contracting but I also went to work in countries that I wouldn't normally have wanted to go to, apart from the money.

If you are under educated, have no skills or qualifications just come for a holiday and in between holidays work your a55 of to get qualified and then, possibly, you may get a job with a company who will send you to Thailand.

I came at 23 and still here 6 years later, never had any issues working online and transferring money into Thailand to live on. Whatever anyone says it is not 100% confirmed if that's illegal, and no one's ever been prosecuted for that in Thailand, or anywhere in the world, in cases where it doesn't take jobs from the locals.

I have a degree but I ended up content writing about an unrelated field so I might as well have been uneducated, I just learnt as I went along. So you can do it too.

In your case as you speak several languages I'd do translation work on Odesk/Elance (actually now merged to one site 'Upwork') or Craigslist as Cypress Hill posted - but I'd do an advanced search of all Craigslist domains internationally not just Thailand Craigslist.

Like this

That link filters for all job listings globally that state 'telecommuting is ok', i.e. can be done from anywhere in the world remotely.

Article writing is an option too, any native English speaker can find low paid work doing that, enough to enjoy Thailand while young. Just work on your punctuation (spaces after commas etc.) if the OP is your default style of writing smile.png

Offer to work for low rates initially to build up a portfolio and some references, then start looking for a long term employer. Nowadays actually your education and background is becoming less and less important - with online work they just care if you can do the job, and all you need to do is show examples.

Forbes news recently predicted half of us will be internet freelancers by 2020.

Edited by jspill

Why are you fixated on Thailand , Cambodia you can work and build a business without the problems , Thailand is not interested in helping anyone ,You have all the qualities to do well.

As I read his post I was going to tell him, the best place to start in Thailand, would be at the Poi Pet border crossing, with his back to Thailand, leaving.

He's much to adventurous, on the surface of it, to want to be subservient after/if he wakes up and sees what the dim reality of life in Thailand offers.

He should go somewhere where he can live more freely. Thailand ain't it. coffee1.gif

I feel sorry for you. You must have a real problem. For most of us Thailand is still a lovely place to live, No income tax, fantastic food, nice weather, cheap living costs .and lovely friendly people

Living well in Thailand is not for those who want it, but those who earned it. Unless mommy gives you her credit card, or you sold your dotcom, coming to Thailand with little and expecting everything to be easy and wonderful is not likely. The old geezer who wander around here like their the cock of the walk are as boring and cliche as hell, but at least they slaved for 40 years to bank money. I am always amazed by the 20-somethings (not addressing the OP specifically) who come with no skills, talents, or much brains and expect the country to fall at their feet because they are young and white....

well,it seems like you(and most people here)have either misunderstood or didnt read the whole thing(which i completely understand...it was a long-ass essay).

so,albeit you might not have "addressed the OP specifically" ...the implication is there.

however,to recap...i have my reasons for wanting/having to leave...and second thing(as i said in the post).i have "slaved" long enough(and most importantly smartly enough) to be able to guarantee myself a steady passive monthly income of 600$ without having to lift a finger at the age of 27.maybe i got a 3 bedroom apartment that i can put up for rent and live off that?and thats not counting the cushy online job that earns me around 20 bucks a day for 3 hours of mindnumbingly easy work.on top of the steady every day job that ive had for the past 10 years(and most of the money ive made from it ive saved..so i got money to buy a condo and money for incidentals and whatever may happen).the only reason i need employment in thailand is to conform to their immigration laws which require a work visa(which,at the moment is the only visa i can think of that would allow me to stay).any extra money i would make from that job in thailand would be just icing on the cake...i set things up for myself to guarantee me a decent future.and an even better future in a country with a low cost of living like thailand...why you gotta hate on that?

in a perfect world,i could go to thailand right now,buy a condo(save me the hassle of paying rent) and live happily ever after.i dont have to work in thailand to "make money"...i have to work to be able to stay in the country.

and how is "me being willing to do any job for ridiculously low pay" "expecting the country to fall at my feet"?its the exact opposite...the whole point is that im willing to do way too much and expecting next to nothing in return from the country(except for IT allowing me to stay there)

and now,another thing...and im not addressing you specifically...i dont need to be a genius,dot com mogul,or a veteran with 50 year experience to get a simple humble job as a bartender or a dishwasher...im just a guy with willingness to work tryin' to get a job in another country.a crappy days pay for an honest days work...just like every mexican,albanian or north african in the history of everything ever.yous are all acting like im donald trump,walkin in like i own the place and shouting demands left and right and expecting everybody to bow at my feet...which is the polar opposite of what im tryin to do here.im expecting NOTHING to be easy and wonderful.

one scenario(which is a long shot and a lucky break but not so unfathomable to be deemed ridiculous)...foreigner owns a bar in a tourist location.hes short on staff...asks me.

do you speak english?yes

do you speak enough thai to take orders and talk to customers?yes

are you good with customers?yes

can you mix drinks?yes

gives me a trial run for a day..sees i got what it takes...hires me.BOOM...done.

i mean...i got jobs that way before...its a barkeep gig for christs sakes...not a nuclear physicist.

i gotta try to start "networking" somehow,no?try to make some connections....whats so wrong with that?

connections is what makes the world go round...i will try to do that IN PERSON when i go to thailand on a vacation visa for 30 days.

but until then,i will try to do it this way.i see no harm in that

(i hope i dont come across as hostile,confrontational or passive aggressive).im just trying to explain my point but text sucks at delivering mood and emotion.

so bottom line,its all good...thank you everybody for your input and responses!i appreciate it

I think TV members read and understood your post but you dont understand. You as an Expat can not just work any job. Jobs are protected and you have to have a work permit to get a job. You are not going to get a work permit to tend bar, wait on table, clean toilets. An expat is not legally allowed to do any job that a Thai can do. You can teach English, you can work as an engineer, International sales, chef, manager of a bar/hotel etc.get the idea no degree no job. You will see expats in Thailand working jobs that Thai's can do but in most cases they are working illegally, they might have a work permit but the work permit is for something other than what they are really doing. So coming to Thailand to find a job just for a work permit is not going to be easy. So many guys want to live in Thailand but they cant legally stay in Thailand, most come on tourist visas and either over stay or do visa runs which the govt is cracking down on that. Some go to school to get a visa to stay.

When I applied for my visa I had to submit my transcripts and my degree. You could open a company as a shareholder you wouldn't require a degree and then you can get a work permit to manage the company, but you must hire 4 Thais, have paid up registered capital of 2 million baht etc.

The posters have told you dont come to Thailand looking for a job to stay, better to go to Cambodia, Philippines, Vietnam etc. I lived in Thailand for just about 20 years I came to Thailand when I was around your age. I was lucky I had an engineering degree. I also lived in Vietnam for a 1 year. I have worked all over Asia and Thailand I think is the best, but the govt has been making it more difficult for people to just come and live in Thailand. They started cracking down on things back 2000-2003.

What I hear from all my friends and relatives in immigration the issue is with people overstaying their visa and working illegally is what they are trying to stop. However it's affecting allot of good people. If you really want to live in Thailand then your best option is to get a degree to be able to teach or management, engineering etc or Marry a Thai and get an Non-O visa but you must show you make enough money (she can work to show the money too).

Getting Citizenship is a dream, it can be done but is going to take years and years and years. I only know 2 guys that have citizenship, one got his back in 2003 and it took him 5 years to get it the other got his in 2007 after living and working in Thailand 15 years. There is a huge backlog of applications. Even getting Permanent residency is a chore and takes a long time, and money.

This is just going over the visa issue, then from your post it sounds like you never even been to Thailand, which is a whole another learning experience. Thailand can be a rough place and you need to be more careful of the helpful expats than Thai's you never know who is going to screw you. I have had a few issues with guys I thought were my friends who were expats. Never really had any issues with Thai's but I know plenty of guys that have been through the mill. Then there are the girls, you have good / bad and in between. First you need to be able to tell the difference between a girl and a ladyboy which if she is really beautiful you better double check. Allot of good guys have been destroyed by Thailand and sweet little Thai girls. I would say get a 6 month visa from the Thai embassy and come to Thailand and check things out. Where are you now?

I wish you luck.