Anyone Else - Water Rationing

pgrahmm

Look's like our Moo Baan is shutting the tap 7-7 PM-AM .....

Or running the tank out which happens about 7PM ......

Only pressure at the ground level & not enough to run the electric heaters.....

Filling a 25/35 gallon container now for the ever popular dip bucket bath....Looks like it's going to be a neighborhood race for hot showers once everyone gets the timing right.....

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is a regular happening every year in rural Khampaeng Phet when the water is shut off completely every year. The only variable is which month it goes off and which month it comes back again.

2015 was 7 months with no water. Mid January to mid August.

2016 the water was cut off in mid December 2015. Coming back on again?

I have 27 ongs each holing about 1,500 usable litres of water and we get topped up by the local fire truck every 2 to 3 weeks.

The ground under the land about 1 to 2 metres down is granite so no borehole either.

After the first time you learn and adapt to the situation.

Todays news that 8 provinces have been declared "drought disaster "areas already doesn't bode well.

How you reach such a ranking as a "disaster area" I have no idea but they named areas of CM,Phayao, Phitsanulok, Ultradit,amongst others,

no mention of Chiang Rai. If the predictors are right El Nino is going to give us well above average temperatures this summer its

looking bleak for farmers and apparently 1,448 vilages are already affected.

One of the first things we did on buying our house in Hang Dong was to install a tank and a pump,at least it gives you a few days reprieve.

Rice farmers continue to pump groundwater 24/7. Some are growing alternative crops. tobacco seems to be a favourite. But around where we live they seem to think the groundwater will last forever facepalm.gif

I've noticed that too and do not understand how they could possibly make a profit growing rice with pumped water. Maybe they don't understand either...

Saan, you may be over thinking your neighbor's thoughts. Could be in fact, they know nothing about local drought, water rationing, farmer's fields, etc. They proceed only as their tradition dictates, until stopped by police or total lack of water.

It is a regular happening every year in rural Khampaeng Phet when the water is shut off completely every year. The only variable is which month it goes off and which month it comes back again.

I have 27 ongs each holing about 1,500 usable litres of water and we get topped up by the local fire truck every 2 to 3 weeks.

The ground under the land about 1 to 2 metres down is granite so no borehole either.

Wow.

We were staying with friends in Khlong Lan Phatthana for the new year with no water problems.

We didn't visit the waterfall this time, but last Songkran, there was very little water compared to our first visit in 2012.

Saan, you may be over thinking your neighbor's thoughts. Could be in fact, they know nothing about local drought, water rationing, farmer's fields, etc. They proceed only as their tradition dictates, until stopped by police or total lack of water.

You are right, I was taking a bit of license. I think they are just oblivious. It hasn't occurred to them that despite there being no rain water might be in short supply.

Well, pgrahamm it seems that if you want to tell the world of your troubles, at least tell us where you are. ' Your Moo Baan' gives me no clue as to where you are.

Didn't see it as "troubles" - but possibly as a portent of things to come.....It took place for a few days but now seems that the water is back for the moment 24/7.....The neighbors discussed it as rationing but maybe it's unevenly schedule.

We're in the Nong Kwai area in Hang Dong......

However....

Away from my OP some very interesting posts, thoughts, and observations have been made along the way.....

Edited by pgrahmm

Was looking at some old footage of Second World War Burma in the rainy season.

I think I remember seeing mud like that only a couple of times here and that was over twenty years ago.

It sure looks wetter back then.

Fewer paved roads too. coffee1.gif

Looking at how low most reservoirs are, I can't understand why they don't start water rationing now. Better to lose a few hours water a day than be cut off for days or even weeks, as I know happens in some areas.

So why isn't the General barking orders to this effect?

Do you know where the water is coming from?

It's from the klong fed by the dams at MaeJo, Mae Kuang, Mae Ngat.

They may run dry pretty soon

I visited the place last week (Mae Kuang at Doi Sakhet)

On the dam pic, each pole goes down 2M from upper level

The graph pic shows yearly levels, last update mid-Dec: we are about to break a record

And yes, here too they pump 24/7 the little water that's still released in the river down the dam.

No restriction (?)

post-59893-0-13734300-1453090968_thumb.j

post-59893-0-04989800-1453090980_thumb.j

The mind's are always focussed on the NOW!

Yesterday is done and shall be forgotten - not learned from.

Tomorrow may never come so whu worry about that.

Look at life with blinkers on always and only take notice after the horse has bolted.

Wow.

We were staying with friends in Khlong Lan Phatthana for the new year with no water problems.

We didn't visit the waterfall this time, but last Songkran, there was very little water compared to our first visit in 2012.

Klong Lan Pattana has a government water supply fed from the reservoir at Klong Nam Lai. It extends about 3 or 4 km from Klong Lan Pattana on the route 1117 towards Mae Wong national park and then stops.

We are a couple of KM further on. Our water supply comes from the Mae Wong park but the klong is virtually empty, hence no water. All the villages around get supplied by the fire truck from Klong Lan Pattana every 2 or 3 weeks.

Next time you come up this way send me a PM and come over for a beer or something to eat.