Thingsook BA TESOL Graduation

GoDucks

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The original Thongsook TESOL program is still running. Now it is being run directly by the College (no middlemen) Classes start 29th February at Thongsook College. Borommaratchachonnani road (it's on Google maps). Good things ahead. Please PM if you need details. Thanks.

So, what happened to the 'middleman'?

After three years of fighting with the Thai administration to do their job in s a timely and professional manner all of us in the international department packed up and moved to Siam Technology College.

The good news for the students that remained at Thongsook was this was a big wake up call to get their jobs done. Do your job or lose all the students. So thats great for the students, if they keep it up.

Good luck to them. I hope it works out for them and Thongsook. I, my team, and the students that transferred are very happy at the new location.

Sorry, dangers of allowing your friend to use your computer.

Lets see, I conceived of the program, brought it to Thongsook over five years ago, worked for free for two years as I developed the curriculum and MOE proposal and, after approval, oversaw every aspect of the operating program for three years.

Thongsook provided classrooms and, almost always after a lot of pushing and several long delays, visa documents. Yet they were happy to cut funding by nearly 50% over those three years causing me to get rid of the best teachers who would not accept pay cuts.

I think your idea of a what a middle man differs from mine. But lets hope Thongsook has now learned their lesson and things improve.

Sorry, dangers of allowing your friend to use your computer.

Lets see, I conceived of the program, brought it to Thongsook over five years ago, worked for free for two years as I developed the curriculum and MOE proposal and, after approval, oversaw every aspect of the operating program for three years.

Thongsook provided classrooms and, almost always after a lot of pushing and several long delays, visa documents. Yet they were happy to cut funding by nearly 50% over those three years causing me to get rid of the best teachers who would not accept pay cuts.

I think your idea of a what a middle man differs from mine. But lets hope Thongsook has now learned their lesson and things improve.

I suppose this could be translated as the Director of the Thongsook International program was negligent in his job (being a paid member of Thongsook staff) and didn't liase properly with other staff members to achieve the best results for the program and it's students. But possibly not!

Sure thats it.

LOL

Never on salary, always on revenue share that was constantly shrinking, despite the fact there was no revenue for first 2 years I worked and third year (first year of classes) we lost money.

Yes everyone for years has been complaining about Thongsook.

Remember waiting three MONTHS last year to get visa documents for many students? Just one example.

People have short and/or selective memories.

Now I'm confused. Why do you have a different website than Siam Technology College? Do the Board of Directors at Siam Technology College know there is a separate website and that fees being charged there are substantially lower that the fees on their website? If so, why not just put the real fees on the "official website"?

Now I'm confused. Why do you have a different website than Siam Technology College? Do the Board of Directors at Siam Technology College know there is a separate website and that fees being charged there are substantially lower that the fees on their website? If so, why not just put the real fees on the "official website"?

gigglem.gif

Why would anyone want to get involved in this mess?

Well TIT and we all apparently are ok to live here despite this kind of stuff being very common.

gigglem.gif

Why would anyone want to get involved in this mess?

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for that Joe, but since you have a business interest with this program, his views at biast.

Quick question, in fact 2.

1) is Siam accredited yet?

2) are 3 months Ed visa the norm, as your forum page states this week from your students?

Thanks for that Joe. So I shall see you again at Thongsook for Monday mornings orientation session. I believe this will be your 4th on the trot.

By the way, I bought some baby clothes from your Chinese site, top quality. Have ordered some bras from Mrs. Lotus.

Dear lotus-boy

1. The program is already self accredited. Siam has the authority to do this. The OHEC stamp is going through the normal process. If you're not aware of how this works, please educate yourself at the OHEC.

2. It is normal for students who change schools to receive 90 days visa (however some new students have already reciened 6 months). After the initial visa, students may receive up to one year as decided by immigration. Since Siam has an long standing and excellent relationship with immigration, this should be a smooth process.

As for your assertion that I profit from any of this, you are mistaken.

I guess it was only a matter of time before the fallout from the big split started to hit Thavisa as well. When can we expect a thread on other Thai/Teaching related forums? rolleyes.gif

It's good to see the program is helping it's students improve their grammar. whistling.gif

Dear lotus-boy

1. The program is already self accredited. Siam has the authority to do this. The OHEC stamp is going through the normal process. If you're not aware of how this works, please educate yourself at the OHEC.

2. It is normal for students who change schools to receive 90 days visa (however some new students have already reciened 6 months). After the initial visa, students may receive up to one year as decided by immigration. Since Siam has an long standing and excellent relationship with immigration, this should be a smooth process.

As for your assertion that I profit from any of this, you are mistaken.

" same accreditation" your comment from post 20.. So was THAT misrepresenting the truth or are those above? Possibly just smoke and mirrors.

The Thongsook international program already has the OHEC recognition which is required to ACTUALLY make it a degree recognized by other Accreditation bodies around the world. Without this vitally important piece of red tape it's only a piece of paper! So currently NOT the same!

Currently Thongsook is the only fully accredited authorized Ba TESOL program (taught in English) in Thailand. Which you should know as you attend it.. Frequently by the sounds of things!

Also an interesting question that has never been answered by the Siam Technology international's team (usawayfast, you are a member of that team) is how a new BA program in it's first year can have second year students..

How many hours are these students spending in an actual physical classroom? I'd like to hear the answers from people who completed the program. The reason I ask is that many employers are hesitant to hire applicants who have done distance learning.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but won't the people who complete this program still have to pay for and pass the Thai culture course if they want to teach in Thailand?

And quite frankly, how marketable will this piece of paper be outside of Thailand? While it may officially be accepted in countries like Korea or Japan, isn't is reasonable to assume that most employers in those countries would (at the very least) raise an eyebrow when reading a CV with this school on it?

How many hours are these students spending in an actual physical classroom? I'd like to hear the answers from people who completed the program. The reason I ask is that many employers are hesitant to hire applicants who have done distance learning.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but won't the people who complete this program still have to pay for and pass the Thai culture course if they want to teach in Thailand?

And quite frankly, how marketable will this piece of paper be outside of Thailand? While it may officially be accepted in countries like Korea or Japan, isn't is reasonable to assume that most employers in those countries would (at the very least) raise an eyebrow when reading a CV with this school on it?

up country. I can only comment on the Thongsook program. The BA TESOL program is a full 120 credit BA degree. It is not a distance learning degree. It is recognized internationally the same as any other fully accredited and authorized degree in Thailand is (OHEC authorized is a must). If like myself you have lived in Thailand for 10+ years why would it raise eyebrows? As it is not an education degree as perceived by Khurusapha you would still need a Masters Ed or a teaching diploma for a Thai teachers license. Every Foreign teacher requires a culture course even if they have home country teachers license.

Every Foreign teacher requires a culture course even if they have home country teachers license.

cheesy.gif

Sorry. biggrin.png

About half my friends and social group here are teachers, and I think one out of about 10 had to do that nonsense, the rest split their sides laughing when the topic came up.

Listen, I am not going to get into some back-and-forth argument about accreditation. the fact is STC is fully accredited. Its as simple as that. And everything else is just so much better there. Location, facilities, and academics (Dr. Mark, PhD in Education from USA leading the program).

Haters gonna hate. I just want people to know which program is best, and I have personally seen both.

Finally I'm not a member of Siam's team period.

If you're the Joe mentioned earlier then you are or were an admin on their official Facebook page. The fact is unless and until Siam Technology BA TESOL program has OHEC recognition/authorization then it is useless outside of Thailand. Siam Technology college has Accreditation to start any degree course that they choose. But that degree course has to be submitted and authorized by OHEC until that time I believe that no graduations can be done!

Any one looking for back ground on this Thongsook BA TESOL program should look here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/528971-thongsook-college/page-6 also information concerning how important OHEC recognition is from the same people now saying it's not. Strange really!

Listen, like I said, I am not going to get into some back-and-forth argument about accreditation. the fact is STC is fully accredited. Its as simple as that.

NO one has suggested otherwise. But the current Siam Technology international BA TESOL program does NOT have OHEC recognition/authorization.. That is what is being stated. And misdirected by yourself and others associated with the STC program!

Archived