Thingsook BA TESOL Graduation

GoDucks

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How many hours are these students spending in an actual physical classroom? I'd like to hear the answers from people who completed the program. The reason I ask is that many employers are hesitant to hire applicants who have done distance learning.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but won't the people who complete this program still have to pay for and pass the Thai culture course if they want to teach in Thailand?

And quite frankly, how marketable will this piece of paper be outside of Thailand? While it may officially be accepted in countries like Korea or Japan, isn't is reasonable to assume that most employers in those countries would (at the very least) raise an eyebrow when reading a CV with this school on it?

up country. I can only comment on the Thongsook program. The BA TESOL program is a full 120 credit BA degree. It is not a distance learning degree. It is recognized internationally the same as any other fully accredited and authorized degree in Thailand is (OHEC authorized is a must). If like myself you have lived in Thailand for 10+ years why would it raise eyebrows?

Because the applicant is (presumably) a westerner. If I were on the hiring committee of an employer in another country (Korea, Japan, etc...) I would definitely wonder why a westerner got his/her degree in Thailand. And if it came down to two equal applicants on everything except their education, I can tell you that I wouldn't choose the one who was educated in Thailand. Let's be honest, even Thailand's best universities don't have a strong international reputation. And a quick internet search of this school shows that it is not even well ranked in Thailand itself.

From my perspective this program is most likely a good thing for degreeless foreigners desperate to stay in Thailand. Others who are thinking about teaching in other countries should have realistic expectations about their employment options.

And by the way, how is this not considered a distance degree? Are the students submitting all their assignments in person during regular semesters? My understanding is that this is not the case with this program.

How many hours are these students spending in an actual physical classroom? I'd like to hear the answers from people who completed the program. The reason I ask is that many employers are hesitant to hire applicants who have done distance learning.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but won't the people who complete this program still have to pay for and pass the Thai culture course if they want to teach in Thailand?

And quite frankly, how marketable will this piece of paper be outside of Thailand? While it may officially be accepted in countries like Korea or Japan, isn't is reasonable to assume that most employers in those countries would (at the very least) raise an eyebrow when reading a CV with this school on it?

up country. I can only comment on the Thongsook program. The BA TESOL program is a full 120 credit BA degree. It is not a distance learning degree. It is recognized internationally the same as any other fully accredited and authorized degree in Thailand is (OHEC authorized is a must). If like myself you have lived in Thailand for 10+ years why would it raise eyebrows?

Because the applicant is (presumably) a westerner. If I were on the hiring committee of an employer in another country (Korea, Japan, etc...) I would definitely wonder why a westerner got his/her degree in Thailand. And if it came down to two equal applicants on everything except their education, I can tell you that I wouldn't choose the one who was educated in Thailand. Let's be honest, even Thailand's best universities don't have a strong international reputation. And a quick internet search of this school shows that it is not even well ranked in Thailand itself.

From my perspective this program is most likely a good thing for degreeless foreigners desperate to stay in Thailand. Others who are thinking about teaching in other countries should have realistic expectations about their employment options.

And by the way, how is this not considered a distance degree? Are the students submitting all their assignments in person during regular semesters? My understanding is that this is not the case with this program.

The definition of distance learning is " Distance education or distance learning is the education of students who are not physically present at a school." At Thongsook you have to go to class. There is a small element of blended learning, were a course module may have online elements. If interested why not come on down and have a look.

The definition of distance learning is " Distance education or distance learning is the education of students who are not physically present at a school." At Thongsook you have to go to class. There is a small element of blended learning, were a course module may have online elements. If interested why not come on down and have a look.

If I understand it correctly, this is a 120 credit hour course. In a genuine brick and mortar university, that would mean that a student is on campus with actual professors and other students for 1800 hours.

8 semesters of five classes which meet for 3 hours per week for 15 weeks. Or 1800 actual classroom hours.

Or is my math incorrect?

Just out of curiosity, is this a "for profit" program?

If I understand it correctly, this is a 120 credit hour course. In a genuine brick and mortar university, that would mean that a student is on campus with actual professors and other students for 1800 hours.

8 semesters of five classes which meet for 3 hours per week for 15 weeks. Or 1800 actual classroom hours.

Or is my math incorrect?

Just out of curiosity, is this a "for profit" program?

The Thongsook course is now administered and run directly by the college. As for your math, honestly no idea.. The course modules are a 5 day week from approx 8.45am through till 3-4 PM depending on what course or lecturer.. There are also weekend courses Sat-Sun. Again 5 days.. Same time schedule. You ARE ON campus throughout the degree course other than certain linked blended learning sections.. On campus in a concrete and concrete university (not sure if there are any bricks in the Thongsook college construction, probably!)

I'm just a Happy student. Honestly if you require information. Contact Thongsook. I will forward you email and website details later. Regards

Man this is hilarious.

First off, full disclosure--I am the guy who conceived of and personally developed the Thongsook program and after three years of beating my head against a brick wall I decided to move my five years of hard work to an institute of higher education that would better support the program.

Now, the program at Thongsook is pretty well established thanks to my efforts. I am sure it will not fall on its face. I left after running it for three years and they can probably pick up where I left off and manage not to mess up too much. And good luck to them. I am sure they will do fine.

But the whole accreditation question is silly, but obviously great fodder for trolls. The program at Thongsook is fully accredited. The program at STC is fully accredited, too. I opened the Thongsook program and waited nearly 18 months for that stamp. here at STC, this rather meaningless OHEC stamp (at least for foreigners) will arrive in far less time. And the fact that it is not yet stamped is as meaningless as it was 2 years ago at Thongsook when the trolls were all over that program when we were legally operating without it.

And can you imagine anyone outside of Thailand, or even 99.9 percent of people within Thailand, asking this question? "I realize this is a degree from an accredited institute of higher education in Thailand, and therefore completely legal and accredited, but during the first three months of the program, did it have a stamp from the Thai Office of Higher Education Commission?"

Honestly, thats just funny.

Yes, Dr. Mark is back. He has his PhD from the US in Education, a California equivalent to an MA TESOL, and an MBA and has been running international education programs all over the world, including the US, for over 30 years, mostly as principal of international schools. And he is a great guy. I am lucky he came back to work with me because he would never work with Thongsook again after how he was treated 18 months ago there. And he loves working at STC. To quote him he is "Happy as a pig in mud." He is already half way through recreating the syllabi for all courses to make them better and more consistent. PowerPoints, reading materials for every class. Mark does this kind of thing for fun. He flat out loves it.

Lots of big news will come soon about our program at Siam Technology College. Im excited. Glad to have a better situation for me and, according to the students who transferred, for the students. Even if I kept the status quo, which I am not, the location and facilities are far, far better. Far better.

Yes its face to face except for a small portion in self access and blended learning, for the guy who asked. The math is, each three- credit class should have 45 scheduled hours of classroom time.

Anyway, carry on with the hilarious arguments.

Inflammatory posts and replies have been removed.

2) You will not use ThaiVisa.com to post any material which is knowingly or can be reasonably construed as false, inaccurate, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise in violation of any law.

Man this is hilarious.

First off, full disclosure--I am the guy who conceived of and personally developed the Thongsook program and after three years of beating my head against a brick wall I decided to move my five years of hard work to an institute of higher education that would better support the program.

Now, the program at Thongsook is pretty well established thanks to my efforts. I am sure it will not fall on its face. I left after running it for three years and they can probably pick up where I left off and manage not to mess up too much. And good luck to them. I am sure they will do fine.

But the whole accreditation question is silly, but obviously great fodder for trolls. The program at Thongsook is fully accredited. The program at STC is fully accredited, too. I opened the Thongsook program and waited nearly 18 months for that stamp. here at STC, this rather meaningless OHEC stamp (at least for foreigners) will arrive in far less time. And the fact that it is not yet stamped is as meaningless as it was 2 years ago at Thongsook when the trolls were all over that program when we were legally operating without it.

And can you imagine anyone outside of Thailand, or even 99.9 percent of people within Thailand, asking this question? "I realize this is a degree from an accredited institute of higher education in Thailand, and therefore completely legal and accredited, but during the first three months of the program, did it have a stamp from the Thai Office of Higher Education Commission?"

Honestly, thats just funny.

Yes, Dr. Mark is back. He has his PhD from the US in Education, a California equivalent to an MA TESOL, and an MBA and has been running international education programs all over the world, including the US, for over 30 years, mostly as principal of international schools. And he is a great guy. I am lucky he came back to work with me because he would never work with Thongsook again after how he was treated 18 months ago there. And he loves working at STC. To quote him he is "Happy as a pig in mud." He is already half way through recreating the syllabi for all courses to make them better and more consistent. PowerPoints, reading materials for every class. Mark does this kind of thing for fun. He flat out loves it.

Lots of big news will come soon about our program at Siam Technology College. Im excited. Glad to have a better situation for me and, according to the students who transferred, for the students. Even if I kept the status quo, which I am not, the location and facilities are far, far better. Far better.

Yes its face to face except for a small portion in self access and blended learning, for the guy who asked. The math is, each three- credit class should have 45 scheduled hours of classroom time.

Anyway, carry on with the hilarious arguments.

Just some reminders from previous threads about " this rather meaningless OHEC stamp (at least for foreigners)" from Bruce. Now I'm not saying that Siam Technology's NEW BA TESOL program won't get this seemingly very important stamp, just saying it hasn't got it now.. So currently the Siam Technology international TESOL program does NOT have full Accreditation and authorization like the Thongsook program has. These as I understand it are the facts!

Post with Screenshots with no ID removed. To be allowed post on a laptop or include a TV link.

Libel / Defamation post Removed - I am given to understand ... is not sufficient

so OK to post again with the persons ID blocked out. Correct? They were the persons words here on THAIVISA!..it's kinda strange when they are screenshots from this forum. The same forum that every quote has the quoted persons ID!!!! Strange. No?

45% is a HUGE NUMBER of students to transfer out of a program (about half). Also, as I understand TS has promised refunds as soon as things get sorted out. Im pretty sure I heard that during orientation as well. Also, I believe that Tim has sent emails to people assuring them refunds.

So good for Thongsook for being honourable. Refunds obviously have to follow a due process. I'm pretty sure a university in Thailand or possibly the world haven't had this situation before. Were a competing university comes along and TAKES students currently taking a degree course with two weeks notice of the event.. So yes strange and difficult times.. Good on Thongsook for tearing up the ridiculous rules from the former foreign "international director" about no refunds.

Just some reminders from previous threads about " this rather meaningless OHEC stamp (at least for foreigners)" from Bruce. Now I'm not saying that Siam Technology's NEW BA TESOL program won't get this seemingly very important stamp, just saying it hasn't got it now.. So currently the Siam Technology international TESOL program does NOT have full Accreditation and authorization like the Thongsook program has. These as I understand it are the facts.

Admin.. I'm presuming these are OK as the posters ID has been obscured. We all obviously know who he is.. But I am adhering to the rules.

post-195835-14584469465223_thumb.jpg

post-195835-14584469619747_thumb.jpg

post-195835-14584469733979_thumb.jpg

You can beat a dead horse all you like. Siam is fully accredited.

Yup. They are BUT currently the BA TESOL program doesn't have MOE (OHEC) authorization. All degrees in Thailand require this! It will not show on the official register of Thai degrees until it has this. In Thailand the college or university has Accreditation to start and run a degree course BUT it isn't official until it has that stamp. Bruce said so!

What about the students who are owed money by Ts? You don't care about them? Now you're saying they're not getting refunds? Also why did half of the students leave even though they know they can't graduate till 2019?

Do you and Bruce REALLY want to go this route. 100's of pages of screenshots are available. So I can guess that Two weeks notice of the change and having to pay 5,000baht fee to change over to STC after March 1st may have prompted some. The "international director" and yourself knew about the change in November when the STC board granted approval.. The students and Thongsook knew about the 16th of February.. Very transparent!

45% is a HUGE NUMBER of students to transfer out of a program (about half). Also, as I understand TS has promised refunds as soon as things get sorted out. Im pretty sure I heard that during orientation as well. Also, I believe that Tim has sent emails to people assuring them refunds.

Students were initially wrongfully informed that they HAD TO move to STC if they had less than 30 credits and COULD NOT CONTINUE studying at Thongsook. When Thongsook found out about this, they set the record straight by informing all students that this was not the case. Is it a coincidence that the majority of students who transferred were first-year students with less than 30 credits and those who had signed up but had not yet begun studying? This was flat out misinformation. But, at the end of the day, both programs offer the same course which is good for all students because it will encourage them to improve in order to compete with each other. So for students at both Siam and Thongsook, it's a win-win situation.

Usawayfast, on 20 Mar 2016 - 11:25, said:

You can beat a dead horse all you like. Siam is fully accredited.

But currently the STC BA TESOL program doesn't have OHEC recognition/ authorization. Does it? Straight answer please. It is after all a straight question.

That question has already been answered. Now back to my question, when are the refunds going out? And why did half the students choose to leave the program knowing that they can't graduate for three years?

refunds.. Ask Thongsook.. Really non of your business as you are completing your degree at Thongsook. As for the other question it could be purely a business decision by the "international director" to make things difficult in the past 9 months or so. That way he could organise a new deal at a different university.. What is telling is the fact that even without full knowledge of a continuing degree course initially OVER half stayed with Thongsook. Who managed to continue the course with just two weeks notice and no immediate access to any previous material held by the "international director". Well done Thongsook. And may I add that know the " international Director " is not there all concerns are being addressed directly by the college. No Maybes or Probables. Just accurate facts! Wonderful experience. Relaxing in the air-con international students lounge.

Just to restate as some people seem to have misunderstood:

Siam Technology College fully accredited.

BA TESOL program at STC fully accredited.

Program curriculum submitted to OHEC as required.

Recognition stamp for jobs with Thai civil service will likely arrive in a month or two.

May I suggest that I am the only person who has actually done this and done it twice now? Maybe I could be considered an expert?

While STC approved the degree program in November I did not make a final decision that enough was enough until just 1 day before it was officially announced in February. I think everyone can get to that point, right? Where enough is enough. I do not want to go through the many reasons why I decided to move. Its not my intention to disparage Thongsook. But beating my head against the wall to get anything done is a good description, one of the last being to force Thongsook to correct the transcripts for the recently-graduated students. But I would rather focus on the positives of the move for those who have moved and our future students at STC.

For those that remain, I wish them well and am very glad to hear they decided to make much needed changes before the lost the rest of their students.

PS: Nice student lounge but the last thing I would do if I were Thongsook is to start comparing facilities.

Nice to see they turned the AV storage closet into a lounge big enough for a handful of students. Glad you're enjoying it.

As for my question about refunds, yes i am a TS student and should I leave, I and everyone else who transferred and are due refunds are entitled to know when they can expect to get our refunds.

"Really non of your business as you are completing your degree at Thongsook" is not an acceptable answer. Sounds like you dont know, which would lead me to guess that maybe there are many issues that you're trying to argue that you know little or nothing about. However, Ill take your suggestion and ask TS directly on Monday.

thank you!

I don't know because I haven't asked for a refund. You don't know because you haven't asked for a refund. As for the lounge it is available now. It wasn't available under the previous management of the course. Small and cosy it is.. But it is available.. Can you address the comment made before that formerly it was known from the previous "international director" that no one leaving the Thongsook international BA TESOL program would get a refund.. It does seem that you were party to that!

Recognition stamp for jobs with Thai civil service will likely arrive in a month or two.

May I suggest that I am the only person who has actually done this and done it twice now? Maybe I could be considered an expert?

While STC approved the degree program in November I did not make a final decision that enough was enough until just 1 day before it was officially announced in February. I think everyone can get to that point, right? Where enough is enough. I do not want to go through the many reasons why I decided to move. Its not my intention to disparage Thongsook. But beating my head against the wall to get anything done is a good description, one of the last being to force Thongsook to correct the transcripts for the recently-graduated students. But I would rather focus on the positives of the move for those who have moved and our future students at STC.

For those that remain, I wish them well and am very glad to hear they decided to make much needed changes before the lost the rest of their students.

PS: Nice student lounge but the last thing I would do if I were Thongsook is to start comparing facilities.

This is accurate but also missing the vital part that.

It is the civil service list of degrees that are considered as fully accredited and authorized.

This is the list that gets consulted if a third party wants verification of a full accredited and authorized degree.

In Thailand the college or university has Accreditation to run degree courses BUT each degree requires this authorization.. Each and every degree in Thailand needs to be on this list.

I'm sure that STC will get this vital stamp of approval in the future. But they do not have it now (20/3/2016). So therefore the only fully legal accredited and authorized by the MOE (OHEC) BA TESOL program is the one at Thongsook

Any way as I have stated before I wish all those students that went over to STC the best.

No, absolutely wrong.

The ONLY organization that checks these lists are the Thai civil Service.

Honestly, can you imagine a US or UK graduate school or foreign employer doing this?

Of course not.

So please, if you do not know what you are talking about, my strong suggestion is to not post.

It is the civil service list of degrees that are considered as fully accredited and authorized.

This is the list that gets consulted if a third party wants verification of a full accredited and authorized degree.

In Thailand the college or university has Accreditation to run degree courses BUT each degree requires this authorization.. Each and every degree in Thailand needs to be on this list.

I'm sure that STC will get this vital stamp of approval in the future. But they do not have it now (20/3/2016). So therefore the only fully legal accredited and authorized by the MOE (OHEC) BA TESOL program is the one at Thongsook
Any way as I have stated before I wish all those students that went over to STC the best.

No, absolutely wrong.

Honestly, can you imagine a US or UK graduate school or foreign employer doing this?

Of course not.

So please, if you do not know what you are talking about, my strong suggestion is to not post.

if you say so!

And yes, as someone who has developed and had multiple degree programs approved in Thailand, including two BA TESOL programs, I say so.

And you are, if I am not mistaken, a student on one of them.

No, absolutely wrong.

Of course not.

if you say so!

And yes, as someone who has developed and had multiple degree programs approved in Thailand, including two BA TESOL programs, I say so.

And you are, if I am not mistaken, a student on one of them.

No, absolutely wrong.

Of course not.

if you say so!

multiple degree programs??

So let's get some confirmation.. Question 1: Khurusapha require this degree to be on the civil service list?

Question 2: This college/university has to be accredited AND authorized by the MOE (OHEC). Correct?

Question 3: As the Accreditation agency for Thailand degree verification is done via the MOE (OHEC) correct?

Thanks

Archived