Are these really the worst tourist spots in Southeast Asia?

snoop1130

Are these really the worst tourist spots in Southeast Asia?

pattaya.jpg

BANGKOK -- Popular question-and-answer community Quora was posed with this head-scratcher recently:
Screenshot-2016-01-18-16.02.41.png
Christian Bergland’s answer currently boasts the most ‘upvotes’ (positive reactions) with his two suggestions of Pattaya, Thailand and Vang Vieng, Laos.

Regarding Pattaya, Bergland is sharply to the point: “Pattaya is a filthy hellhole of neon and sex”.

While the beachfront city is notoriously popular with gentleman of a certain age and sensibility who like to pay for sex, it’s rare to find any other demographic where there is as widespread passion for Pattaya.

Bergland cites the food and beaches of the city as somewhat disappointing – particularly in contrast to much of the rest of Thailand – whilethe prostitution scene is ubiquitous.

Full Story: http://whatsonsukhumvit.com/are-these-really-the-worst-tourist-spots-in-southeast-asia/

whats-on-sukhumvit.png
-- (c) What's on Sukhumvit 2016-01-18

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought Vang Vieng got cleaned up a few years ago, as in no more bars along the river and an early curfew regarding any loud music. Has this changed?

I'm headed there next month, regardless, but will definitely cut my time short if the scene is anything like a full moon party.

Pattaya is frequented by tourists so therefore is hell, the whore house on every street in every town nationwide is paradise. Concubine's are part of Thai history and culture. Shutdown Pattaya and open up all these nationwide knocking shops to tourism. The national GDP would go through the roof.

Pattaya is a filthy hellhole of neon and sex

So true - that is what attracted me to it whistling.gif

I came for the "exotic, once in a lifetime destination trip", was enthralled by the nightlife (and the exotic nature of the country), stayed for the weather, food, prices and lifestyle.

Life is like a box of chocolates Pattaya go-go bar (Forrest Gump was just on TV minutes ago).

You never know what it's going to be like until you go inside and sample everything there is to offer. Sometimes you may be disappointed, sometimes you may find more that you were hoping for (personally I stay away from those places but to each their own) !

I've lived in, worked in and visited some nice urban/suburban/remote places and I've lived/worked/visited some ghawd awful places. There are nicer places on the planet than Pattaya and there are plenty of places that make Pattaya seem like paradise. Mostly it's the "eye of the beholder" that makes the difference between whether any particular place is a hellhole or a paradise or something in between.

Nobody believes me when I tell them I am only here for the benign weather and the cheapness of "everything".

You cannot come here and totally ignore what goes on and not even try things out ! If you ain't done it, don't knock it.

I know a place that has a long sandy beach, very little neon night life, high end resorts, limited trashy malls, it is called Hua Hin......boring does not even begin to describe the atmosphere..... Give me Jomtien any day.

Methinks the author did not actually visit Vang Vieng, and based his review on out-of-date guidebooks. Yes, there are lots of young people visiting the place, and there are some who drink too much, but it is not a rowdy, raucous atmosphere. As the samll number of massage places would suggest, sex is available too...for a price.

Yes, Vang Vieng is a hot spot for tubing, but many Lao, Tha and foreign visitors also go to visit the caves, and wonder at the scenery.

I thought Vang Vieng got cleaned up a few years ago, as in no more bars along the river and an early curfew regarding any loud music. Has this changed?

I'm headed there next month, regardless, but will definitely cut my time short if the scene is anything like a full moon party.

... bloke writes (from Feb.'15) that government shut down 17 of 20 riverside bars (tubing) after several pissed alkos had crossed Jordan (almost literally) & checked out early, so it's 'better than it used to be' & 'now they booze in town instead' ... somewhat along these lines ...

Pattaya is a filthy hellhole of neon and sex

So true - that is what attracted me to it whistling.gif

Well anywhere might seem preferable to Leicester. As a seedy open air brothel it's neck and neck with Angeles city for top of the dump

Edited by jacky54

Neon and sex, what's not to like!

Crime, disease, violence, lies and desperately lonely blokes trying to fulfill their empty lives by paying for sex with low class farmers daughters, often young enough to be their grandchildren?

Crime, disease, violence, lies and desperately lonely blokes trying to fulfill their empty lives by paying for sex with low class farmers daughters, often young enough to be their grandchildren?

Deseases? Don't you know you should wash your hands frequently, and get vaccinated before travelling, basic stuff.

Deseases? Don't you know you should wash your hands frequently, and get vaccinated before travelling, basic stuff.

should also avoid to put a knee in the see ... exzema , hears and eyes infections are waiting for you

Nobody believes me when I tell them I am only here for the benign weather and the cheapness of "everything".

You cannot come here and totally ignore what goes on and not even try things out ! If you ain't done it, don't knock it.

I know a place that has a long sandy beach, very little neon night life, high end resorts, limited trashy malls, it is called Hua Hin......boring does not even begin to describe the atmosphere..... Give me Jomtien any day.

Hua Hin is for the aged and lovers of Jazz music. The good thing in this place is the sunrise and the lack of ladyboys...?

Low class.......tut tut

But that's enough about Ipswich...

Vang Vieng is a very small shell of its former self. I've lived in Laos over 10 years and the government smashed it down because it was getting out of control. It was becoming a lot like the worst of Thailand, in other words.

The glory days were fun, but the drunken out of control louts (mostly Aussies) ruined it. Now it's calm. You can still float or kayak down the river but all the bars and craziness is finished.

The town is a lot quieter too, but you can still have a good time.