Thai electrical converter for USA device, different currents?

peeba7

Hello, I need to use an electrical convertor/adapter to check to see if an electronic device works, converting Thai current to USA usable current. I think if I just go ahead and plug the USA unit into a Thailand outlet directly, that could hurt the machine. I could buy one (where?) but I actually do not want to buy one until I can test the unit and makes sure it still works. So essentially I need someone with a USA to Thailand electric outlet converter to test my device and then most likely buy the converter if the unit works. If anyone has the thing that converts Thai current to USA current to plug in and use, perhaps you are not using or would allow me to test my unit on it, that might be a good start. I could go to shops but i think if they have the converter it is only for sale to travelers from the different country's with the differering currents. Where might I get lucky where they would have an ac converter that i could test my dvd blu ray from the USA on before buying the electrical convertor. Again, if I works I would probably buy the converter. I was thinking some electronic shops might have one around they might use as a tool or tester but not likely. Having said all that where in Pattaya could I get this kind of electrical converter that works well? Or other viable solutions to test the unit first.

Also USA is 60 cycles , Thailand is 50 cycles , so if it has a motor it might run the wrong speed ,

Most of the cheaper converters only convert voltage ,

I have "smoked" a few things that were 110V USA when I forgot to plug them into the converter first !

But many items are now 100v-240V so check the label

What's your device? If it's a laptop your adapter will will take care of the difference in voltage

-----------------------------

True.............nowadays the plug in adapter that you normally get with a laptop computer converts the alternating A. C. current into a D.C. current which runs the laptop.

When I bought my first personal computer in the U.S (about 1980) that was not true.

I had to buy my computer from Canada by mail....because all the U. S. computer stores only had those for U/S. voltage and frequency standards

I even had to remove the cover and install some parts to change the computer from U.S.to international standards.

as I intended to use it in Europe.

That goes to show that I am an old fart,

Just worked through one product from Sony.

120 V, 60 Hz, 16 W

No universal power input.

The good thing its only 16 W so a converter would not have to be a big one.

(I remember folks buying kettles with 3500W from the US -> forget it)

BUT: really the OP has to read the product label and/or manual to find out.

Also USA is 60 cycles , Thailand is 50 cycles , so if it has a motor it might run the wrong speed ,

I have "smoked" a few things that were 110V USA when I forgot to plug them into the converter first !

Confession, I did plug it in initially without thinking, and it smoked up. So I wonder if there is any possibility the thing still works. Hence the desire to test it out.

Confession, I did plug it in initially without thinking, and it smoked up. So I wonder if there is any possibility the thing still works. Hence the desire to test it out.

It's fried and no amount of testing will bring it back to life, go buy one here with the correct voltage and Hz

• 1 month later...

Take it to the US embassy on Wireless Road and insist they test it for you.

Tell them that your a US citizen and US taxpayer and you have a right to such service and tell them to respond quickly with salutes and lots of 'yes sir'!

You first!

Archived