Notebook Operating Systems

Maybole

My granddaughter wants a "Notebook" for her birthday and to " help her at school". I think she means a Laptop.

Getting the device is easy, but most come without an Operating System installed. The sales staff usually offer to install a Windows OS at a price. I am suspicious that the OS installation may be a pirated copy and I am tending to suggest that she installs a Linux system.

She know as little about doing this as I do but it seems that the Laptop will come with a basic browser programme that will allow her to connect to the house router and download an OS.

How easy is this to do? Which Linux system would you recommend? Thank you.

I'm a great fan of Linux and haven't used Windows (except for 90 day reporting to Immigration) for more than 15 years. However, there's always a distinct possibility that not all devices will work without some extra investigation - particularly with smaller form computers. Probably best to try a number of different Linux distributions which boot from USB, and once you find one that works well, install it.

Probably the distribution to try first is Ubuntu.

Then Mint (Mate edition) or

Sugar (a distribution specially designed to help children learn).

If you do have hardware problems and don't have the expertise to solve them, then it's going to be necessary to cough up the baht for Microsoft Windows.

LXLE.

Super lightweight as it uses LXDE which has another advantage; it's reminiscent of Windows in the desktop design. It's also based on Ubuntu so there's all sorts of repositories you can add...i.e. any programme she needs is there.

If you want to have a "Control Panel" with a beautiful desktop than I would recommend Opensuse. That's what I use.

Its his granddaughter and to help her with school. I highly doubt a computer nerd. If you are worried purchase a legal copy and then load it yourself. Or you can have them load it for you.

Remember this is for your granddaughter and school and as such, is all Windows based.

Dont let the "anti-windows" users confuse you and talk you into any other operating system. If later in life after experience she wants to change, let her make that decision herself after she is educated in computers.

Remember this is for your granddaughter and school and as such, is all Windows based.

Nonsense. Thailand's One-Tablet-Per-Child scheme was based upon version 4 of Android, a Linux-based operating system.

A scheme that faltered....and she's asking for a notebook i.e. laptop.

My advice still stands, Windows until she learns enough and SHE wants to learn something else.

Im not anti any operating system. Im a realist.

Its his granddaughter and to help her with school. I highly doubt a computer nerd. If you are worried purchase a legal copy and then load it yourself. Or you can have them load it for you.

Dont let the "anti-windows" users confuse you and talk you into any other operating system. If later in life after experience she wants to change, let her make that decision herself after she is educated in computers.

A common logical fallacy.

Simply using an alternative does not make one anti-*.

The majority of smartphones run the Linux kernel. A huge amount of the Internet is ran on some Linux distribution. So if this young lady being talked about gets really interested in computers having a foundation in Linux seems to make more sense. If she, like the majority of the people, just wants the OS to be stable and do what it does...than it's hard to knock Linux for that (just Google up times to see how good Linux is for that). And yes, when us Linux people try to help someone it can get technical. We're trying to save installations and educate at the same time. Seems better than the pat "reinstall" recommendation that a Windows user gets.

And to the final point; desktop OS matter less and less each year. There are outlier use cases (Photoshop, Windows only games) but the push to the cloud has the underlying software becoming irrelevant.

The sales staff might offer you the option of "original" Windows or "copy" Windows.

When I bought a laptop for my wife a few years ago those two options were offered. I went with "original" and was handed a Windows disc, genuine, still in the original packaging, for my approval. After my approval they went ahead and installed the Windows on the machine.

You make the choice.

Nonsense. Thailand's One-Tablet-Per-Child scheme was based upon version 4 of Android, a Linux-based operating system.

My advice still stands, Windows until she learns enough and SHE wants to learn something else.

Yet it demonstrates that your statement "Remember this is for your granddaughter and school and as such, is all Windows based" is categorically wrong.

Furthermore, Thai people increasingly have very little exposure to Windows-based operating systems. Their mobile devices (the predominant computing platform for personal use) are powered by versions of Linux and iOS - not Microsoft Windows in any of its guises.

as usual the anti-windows brigade are out in force and ganging up for the attack. If the school is using windows and teaching it, what good would it be for her to have a different operating system, programs included?

whatever the case may be, dont bother to answer because you wont have an answer to anything at all but "anything but windows"

as usual the anti-windows brigade are out in force and ganging up for the attack. If the school is using windows and teaching it, what good would it be for her to have a different operating system, programs included?

whatever the case may be, dont bother to answer because you wont have an answer to anything at all but "anything but windows"

Maybe you are correct and I am anti-windows.

Could you please explain what the school could teach about Windows that is not applicable for other operating systems?

Can you please provide a list of programmes the school teaches that don't have alternatives?

Can you please confirm that the school isn't going to use a pre-2010 Office suite causing confusion when the young lady is exposed to the ribbon?

Yet it demonstrates that your statement "Remember this is for your granddaughter and school and as such, is all Windows based" is categorically wrong.

Furthermore, Thai people increasingly have very little exposure to Windows-based operating systems. Their mobile devices (the predominant computing platform for personal use) are powered by versions of Linux and iOS - not Microsoft Windows in any of its guises.

Look at the attacks already. Uncalled for guys....please go back and read the thread again.

Where did the OP say he was located? There is no hint of Thailand anywhere in his post (although it could be true)

Where did the op mention "mobile device" anywhere? He said notebook and further clarified it as laptop. How many laptops are android based?? How many laptops in schools are Linux or Android based? How many schools would teach those systems to children?

"Thai people have very little exposure to Windows-based operating systems" I sure would like to see the data to back up that assumption.

Direct from the op:

"She know as little about doing this as I do but it seems that the Laptop will come with a basic browser programme that will allow her to connect to the house router and download an OS. How easy is this to do? Which Linux system would you recommend? Thank you.

How many computers that you purchase off the shelf has no operating system but yet has a browser to connect to the internet? You must admit that is a statement from a person (no direct or negative attack directed at you Mr. Maybole) who is not computer literate.

Look at the attacks already. Uncalled for guys....please go back and read the thread again.

Where did the OP say he was located? There is no hint of Thailand anywhere in his post (although it could be true)

Where did the op mention "mobile device" anywhere? He said notebook and further clarified it as laptop. How many laptops are android based?? How many laptops in schools are Linux or Android based? How many schools would teach those systems to children?

"Thai people have very little exposure to Windows-based operating systems" I sure would like to see the data to back up that assumption.

Direct from the op:

"She know as little about doing this as I do but it seems that the Laptop will come with a basic browser programme that will allow her to connect to the house router and download an OS. How easy is this to do? Which Linux system would you recommend? Thank you.

How many computers that you purchase off the shelf has no operating system but yet has a browser to connect to the internet? You must admit that is a statement from a person (no direct or negative attack directed at you Mr. Maybole) who is not computer literate.

I don't know what country the OP is from, but in the States it's fairly impossible to get a computer without some OS. The fact it's posted on a Thai forum would seem to indicate being in Thailand though.

Laptops nearly always come with a genuine copy of windows, this is the mass produced laptops manufactured by Acer, Dell, etc. The ones you will see in a store at a reasonable price everywhere. It's pre loaded by the manufacturer.

It will install itself the first time you boot the computer.

It's a very different scenario when you get a custom laptop or desktop built, this will often require purchasing a copy of windows separately but I suspect this is not what you're talking about.

For laptops it's different, the custom windows installation which usually resides on a separate partition will often come with special hardware drivers for your laptop model. In the past this made it very hard to even install windows from a regular windows disk as the custom drivers required for the laptop don't come with Windows.

So, with a mass produced laptop you will get a genuine copy of windows if it's from a reputable manufacturer and not something they built in house.

Laptops nearly always come with a genuine copy of windows, this is the mass produced laptops manufactured by Acer, Dell, etc. The ones you will see in a store at a reasonable price everywhere. It's pre loaded by the manufacturer.

That is no longer the case as more are coming with no-os or Linux pre-installed. Look at Invadeit.com and the number of notebooks in that category. http://www.invadeit.co.th/category/notebooks-laptops/no-os/

Thats not common practice in Thailand.

They mostly come with a bare DOS clone.

To the OP:

she indeeds wants a notebook (lightweight laptop without DVD drive).

Let them install the usual Windows stuff plus uncounted other stuff.

If not, she will be lost and stand outside.

Thailand is a slave to Windows and the girl will be lost with anything different.

Like it or not.

Don't rack your brain about it. It's hers not yours.

Software police will not raid your house.

You can still take care for it and make sure it's properly updated.

Virus scanner up-to-date etc.

If you have the know-how: make her a "standard user" and setup a dedicated administrator account for which you have the password.

Takes away a lot of possible disasters.

Edited by KhunBENQ

I don't know what country the OP is from, but in the States it's fairly impossible to get a computer without some OS. The fact it's posted on a Thai forum would seem to indicate being in Thailand though.

The first link I found on Amazon searching for "notebook computer no os".

Dell Latitude E6420 Intel Core i5-2520M X2 2.5GHz 4GB 250GB DVD+/-RW 14'' No OS (Black)
  • Unleash your productivity with cutting-edge Intel Core processors
  • Travel with confidence knowing that the Latitude E6420 is protected
  • No Operating System Installed
  • Ideal for office-to-home professionals who require high performance and dependability as well as ease of mobility.

So your idea of "fairly impossible" is not the same as mine.

Dell Latitude E6420 Intel Core i5-2520M X2 2.5GHz 4GB 250GB DVD+/-RW 14'' No OS (Black)

• Ideal for office-to-home professionals who require high performance and dependability as well as ease of mobility.

Wow...you found one. A star for the special little snowflake.

Now go to Newegg. 999+ laptops available. 16 no OS. Less than 10th of a percentage maybe?

Now go into a brick and mortar store...find a laptop without an OS.

That is no longer the case as more are coming with no-os or Linux pre-installed. Look at Invadeit.com and the number of notebooks in that category. http://www.invadeit.co.th/category/notebooks-laptops/no-os/

Even 2 years ago lower/mid end Asus machines and many others in JJB, Banana etc in Pattaya were being sold without OS as I had to purchase one extra.

To the OP:

Thailand is a slave to Windows and the girl will be lost with anything different.

Like it or not.

If you have the know-how: make her a "standard user" and setup a dedicated administrator account for which you have the password.

How is Thailand a slave to Windows?

What are Thais doing that requires Windows?

Anecdotal point, but there's only Linux and OSX (with the exception of MY gaming computer) in the house. Everyone from grandpa down to the ban nok nephews and nieces have no problems using any of them. Facebook, emails, looking at those idiotic celebrity websites is done without issue.

Now go to Newegg. 999+ laptops available. 16 no OS. Less than 10th of a percentage maybe?

So you're narrowing down the scope to try and win some fictitious argument?

You've said yourself there are 17 on Newegg, there are loads on Amazon, and Lenovo sell them, so it is not "fairly impossible" unless you specifically exclude online shopping and go to a mom and pop store that has ten computers on the shelf.

rolleyes.gif

So you're narrowing down the scope to try and win some fictitious argument?

You've said yourself there are 17 on Newegg, there are loads on Amazon, and Lenovo sell them, so it is not "fairly impossible" unless you specifically exclude online shopping and go to a mom and pop store that has ten computers on the shelf.

rolleyes.gif

You mean similar to what th OP was asking about?

IIRC, you brought up online stores...

The OP was talking about the difficulty buying a computer *WITH* an OS.

"Getting the device is easy, but most come without an Operating System installed. "

biggrin.png

Because all you talked about was buying "In the States".

Unless of course, you're now calling online shopping "fairly impossible", in which case I can't really offer you any more advice.

blink.png

The OP was talking about the difficulty buying a computer *WITH* an OS.

"Getting the device is easy, but most come without an Operating System installed. "

biggrin.png

Because all you talked about was buying "In the States".

Unless of course, you're now calling online shopping "fairly impossible", in which case I can't really offer you any more advice.

blink.png

Keep digging Watson.

Rather interesting that you refuse to quote the next sentence.

The sales staff usually offer to install a Windows OS at a price.

While I suppose it's possible in a fantasy construct to hazard a guess that the OP is doing a phone order in order to bolster an off topic snide post, it seems self evident that the OP was talking about brick and mortar sales when he talks about sales staff.

Of course I could be all wrong and both my command of the Queen's English as well as reading comprehension pales in regards to yours.

While I suppose it's possible in a fantasy construct to hazard a guess that the OP is doing a phone order in order to bolster an off topic snide post, it seems self evident that the OP was talking about brick and mortar sales when he talks about sales staff.

Of course I could be all wrong and both my command of the Queen's English as well as reading comprehension pales in regards to yours.

Well I don't know, you are the one who introduced the irrelevance of what goes in the States and then got in a snit when I pointed out you didn't even have that right. Perhaps it's best left off topic where it belongs.

In answer to the OP, I said he should install whatever his kid uses at school.

I should add that, if it's Windows, make sure that it is a legal, properly licensed version, otherwise he runs the risk of it being unpatchable or, worse, riddled with pre-installed malware.

Edited by Chicog

Well I don't know, you are the one who introduced the irrelevance of what goes in the States and then got in a snit when I pointed out you didn't even have that right. Perhaps it's best left off topic where it belongs.

In answer to the OP, I said he should install whatever his kid uses at school.

I should add that, if it's Windows, make sure that it is a legal, properly licensed version, otherwise he runs the risk of it being unpatchable or, worse, riddled with pre-installed malware.

Except I didn't introduce the idea the OP was looking at laptops from any place other than Thailand . My post concerning where the OP was looking for this laptop was in response to 2fishin2 comments that he may not be in Thailand. My post was not a simple XOR statement that excluded the possibility of the OP being in a third country but rather an observation that for the circumstances described in the original post (sales people offering to install the OS for a price) he was not in the States.

I will give you kudos; your persistence in supporting your attack by selectively quoting and leaving out facts is outstanding.

Your points about Windows installs are valid also...however as the OP was specifically asking about Linux perhaps a bit of an..."irrelevance"?

To the OP:

Like it or not.

How is Thailand a slave to Windows?

What are Thais doing that requires Windows?

Anecdotal point, but there's only Linux and OSX (with the exception of MY gaming computer) in the house. Everyone from grandpa down to the ban nok nephews and nieces have no problems using any of them. Facebook, emails, looking at those idiotic celebrity websites is done without issue.

Your posts are so far from real life that I can hardly believe that you ever left your condo.

One more for the ignore list.