Tourist visa refused in hcmv. really confused

I was just this morning at the thai consulate in hcmv and got my application for a standard tourist 60 days refused.

Actually, it was not even accepted!

The lady at the counter didn't offer a single explaination saying 'if you want explanation, write to this email (the one of the consulate)" and then rudely asked me to go away.

I actually just sent an email to them but it will probably will not be any use at all.

Of course, all my papers were in order as I'm the psychorigid kind when dealing with administration ( ticket out of Thailand and proof of found ect...)

The possible problem that I see is that I have been staying in Thailand a few months this year (all the time with valid visa ) but not one right after another since I often make trips of several months to other countries.

Not sure if I'm clear : let's say I did 6 months with a two entry (when it was available), then two months in Japan, then 3 months in Thailand again, then one month in Indonesia, then two months in Thailand and here I am stuck in hcmv.

So I'm really confused now:

- how come they refuse to even take my application and without a single explaination?

- what was the problem with my application? Is there a rule that one couldn't spend more than xx days in the kingdom for a certain time? That is the only reason I can see and as far as I know this rule doesn't exist anymore.

- if I go to another consulate, will I be refused as well (Vientiane for instance .ironically I wanted to go there at first...)

- and finally (and more importantly), will I be refused the entry for a 30 day exception when I will take my plane back to Thailand in two days? And if I can enter, should I be worry that I will not be able to extend this to another 30 days?

Guys i know this a lot of questions but i'm really worried (all my stuffs are in a condo in Bkk. In the worst scenario, how will I get them back?)

I have done everything in the textbook and I find myself kinda screwed.

I'd really love to get some answers from you guys.

Thanks in advance

I assume hcmv means Ho Chi Minh Vietnam.

It seems odd they would not even explain why they refused your application.

You should have no problem getting a 30 day visa exempt entry and then a 30 day extension of it. Perhaps have 20k baht handy to show on entry in case you are questioned.

• Like 2

You should have no problem getting a 30 day visa exempt entry and then a 30 day extension of it. Perhaps have 20k baht handy to show on entry in case you are questioned.

HCMV means Ho Chi Minh Ville the French version of HCMC. Presumably the OP is French resp. a French native speaker.

I am going to HMC for two weeks , May 10th to get a tourist visa and scout around Vietnam

a couple of weeks, (Nha Trang, Da Nang) so this is a little concerning for me. If there are any

other TV readers that have had similar issues please pipe in. I have a second country passport

I will be getting the visa in (as apposed to the passport I have my current visa in) so that

may make things easier for me. Otherwise it will mean a trip to Vientiane after HMC to stay

legal. smile.png

Many Thai embassies refuse to deliver tourist visas, nothing new there.

Some will say they only deliver visas to locals for example, happened to a friend in vietnam by the way.

You just need to know where to go to get a tourist visa, like Penang.

Going somewhere else might be a problem, they don't want to do it for some reason, dont want this kind of people coming to apply for tourist visa.

is savanna khet also scary with tourist visas ??

Hcmv means ho chi minh ville (or Saigon for the old folks or the locals who still prefers this).

Guys,I would appreciate if someone could assure me I will be allowed back in the country for 30 days at the airport.

Right now, only urban Joe has answered (tks BTW) and I would appreciate other opinions.

I'm really worried to not be allowed back for 30 days (and 30 days extension).

is savanna khet also scary with tourist visas ??

Savakanett and Vientiane are both "user freindly" in regards to getting Visas

• Like 1

Never, ever, had a problem with HCMC, but I've also never applied for a tourist visa there. They do post signs of all updates in regard to visa issues, and I seem to recall - seem to, I emphasise - there being one relatively recent one relating to tourist visas, this back in December.

Hcmv means ho chi minh ville (or Saigon for the old folks or the locals who still prefers this).

Guys,I would appreciate if someone could assure me I will be allowed back in the country for 30 days at the airport.

Right now, only urban Joe has answered (tks BTW) and I would appreciate other opinions.

UJ is the most knowledgeable person here. But for what it's worth I agree with him 100%. You should have no problem getting a visa exempt entry at the airport or getting a 30 day extension of stay.

• Like 1

UJ is the most knowledgeable person here. But for what it's worth I agree with him 100%. You should have no problem getting a visa exempt entry at the airport or getting a 30 day extension of stay.

it depends what you have in your passport, how many visas already and where you will land in thailand.

Now they really make problems when they see too many thai visas in a passport...

Edited by phuketlive

There is no reason why you can't apply at Vientiane or other embassies/consulates if you want a visa.

All well and good,but he is in Vietnam.

He asked the question!

"- if I go to another consulate, will I be refused as well (Vientiane for instance .ironically I wanted to go there at first...)"

• Like 1

Too late to find out when you leave Thailand to find out that you cannot come back.

First thing I would do if I had to travel was to make sure I had enough money for a month or so in case I could not get back in or have to travel to a different consulate.

That way you mitigate the risk of something horrible happening.

it depends what you have in your passport, how many visas already and where you will land in thailand.

Now they really make problems when they see too many thai visas in a passport...

The question was about visa exempt entries not visas.

Having several visas will not effect getting a visa exempt entry.

• Like 1

I know its about visas, but now they make problems if you have too many stamps and maybe will not let you back in.

Happened to a friend, landed in phuket, they did not want to let him in because too many visas or exempt entries.

They just make problems now in some places, so an exempt entry is not garanteed if the officer thinks you have been here too many times already!

• Like 2

until recently I would have thought differently about getting 30 day visa exempt entry but after my latest experience coming to phuket I have to agree with phuketlive.. the following is a posting I did on FB after I arrived back here again less than 2 weeks ago...

I arrived back in Thailand today and it was a rather interesting entrance to the country compared to all my other entrances in the last 11 years. I have come to Thailand in the past on a number of different visa options available to me at the time, and last year I came here on a 1 year visa with only 1 entrance and exit in the 6 months that I stayed here. Today when I got here, I am staying less than a month so didn't bother with any visa, just opting for the 30 day visa exempt option. The immigration officer that I encountered started asking me questions and asked if I had an airline ticket booked leaving the country within 30 days and I explained no, as I am planning to exit in the northern part of the country by bus in 3 weeks. He tried to tell me that was a problem, because his 'system' was saying that I had entered the country 6 times within the last year although my passport showed that was clearly untrue. I mentioned that I was going to pass through Udon Thani on my way to Laos towards the end of the month and he then consulted his colleague working at the next counter. His colleague then got involved also asking me questions and it appeared that the colleague was from Udon Thani, and actually quite cute and seemed to have no problem smiling at me. After further questions from both of them, confirming that I have neither a Thai girlfriend or boyfriend amongst other things, the colleague asked for my phone number and I willingly gave it to him. He returned the favor giving me his name and number and said (with a smile) to call him sometime, I said sure, and the initial officer I dealt with stamped my passport and I was free to go on my way. TIT (This Is Thailand).

The rather scary part is had it only been the initial immigration officer I dealt with, he didn't seem prepared to allow me entry to the country, based on pure bullshit information.,

I will try and be better prepared next time..

• Like 1

until recently I would have thought differently about getting 30 day visa exempt entry but after my latest experience coming to phuket I have to agree with phuketlive.. the following is a posting I did on FB after I arrived back here again less than 2 weeks ago...

I arrived back in Thailand today and it was a rather interesting entrance to the country compared to all my other entrances in the last 11 years. I have come to Thailand in the past on a number of different visa options available to me at the time, and last year I came here on a 1 year visa with only 1 entrance and exit in the 6 months that I stayed here. Today when I got here, I am staying less than a month so didn't bother with any visa, just opting for the 30 day visa exempt option. The immigration officer that I encountered started asking me questions and asked if I had an airline ticket booked leaving the country within 30 days and I explained no, as I am planning to exit in the northern part of the country by bus in 3 weeks. He tried to tell me that was a problem, because his 'system' was saying that I had entered the country 6 times within the last year although my passport showed that was clearly untrue. I mentioned that I was going to pass through Udon Thani on my way to Laos towards the end of the month and he then consulted his colleague working at the next counter. His colleague then got involved also asking me questions and it appeared that the colleague was from Udon Thani, and actually quite cute and seemed to have no problem smiling at me. After further questions from both of them, confirming that I have neither a Thai girlfriend or boyfriend amongst other things, the colleague asked for my phone number and I willingly gave it to him. He returned the favor giving me his name and number and said (with a smile) to call him sometime, I said sure, and the initial officer I dealt with stamped my passport and I was free to go on my way. TIT (This Is Thailand).

The rather scary part is had it only been the initial immigration officer I dealt with, he didn't seem prepared to allow me entry to the country, based on pure bullshit information.,

I will try and be better prepared next time..

Something must have attracted attention !

My son and a number of friends regularly come/go via the airport in Phuket using visa exempt entries.

Non of them has ever been challenged in the manner you describe.

The rudeness you experienced at the Thai Embassy is the real Thailand...you may come to Thailand and stay...as in retirement...but do not expect us to continually let you come and go as you please...

You either play by the rigid and un-foreigner friendly rules...or go some place else to spend your money...

Many have already received their message loud and clear...and are spending their money on drinks, ladies, and property elsewhere...

Thailand officials have the propensity of shooting themselves in the foot to make a point...

• Like 1

The rudeness you experienced at the Thai Embassy is the real Thailand...

A few Thais working in Countries other than Thailand . Thais working abroad , are representative of 70 Million Thais living in Thailand ?

You didnt really think that through, did you ?

• Like 1

I got refused there as well, the lady behind the counter is on a power trip, she was denying everyone before me as well for all sorts of reasons. Not at all apologetic, high on power. Fly to Hanoi and get your visa without hassle within one day.

Edited by Cheesekraft

Did you mention in your post which passport you are carrying?

On their website they state: http://www.thaiembassy.org/hochiminh/en/services/33685-Tourist-Visa.html

Nationals of certain countries are required to apply for a visa only at the Thai Embassy or Consulate-General in their home/residence country or at the designated Thai Embassy. Therefore, travellers are adivised to contact the nearest Thai Embassy or Consulate-General to find out where they may apply for a visa to Thailand before departure.

Also:

Multiple-Entry Tourist Visa will only be granted to Vietnamese passport holders or Vietnamese Temporary/ Permanent Resident Card holders.

But you werent after multiple.

I just looked through my passport. I have 14 entry and exit stamps for Thailand in the last year. Have never been questioned. But I never spend more than a week there.

Usually just in and out for a few days. So just the number of entries is not a problem it must be the total of days stayed. Obviously my pattern does not cause them concern.

I get 30 days at the airport and 15 days from the border.

Wasn't HCM embassy considered to be a friendly one? Something must have changed there, possibly with the introduction of the new TV system,or new unfriendlier staff.

It is only a short overland trip from Saigon to Phnom Penh.You could give the embassy there a try.

I got an SETV in Saigon on 07.01.2016:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/873344-where-to-get-thai-tourist-visa-in-vietnam/

(post number 9 is reporting my experiences)

Did you observe others before you, and stay longer to sort your stuff and observe how others after you were dealt with? In my case, I had to come back in the afternoon with additional documents and two others had to make phone calls to get additional documents.