Smiling isn't against the law

Gecko123

Let's get a few things straight.

First of all, Thais don't like smiling for the sake of smiling. They like exchanging smiles. It's an interactive process, not a one way street. We need to stop acting like being friendly is the other guy's job. It's your job, too!

Second of all, times are tough for Thais right now. The economy sucks, commodity prices are in the crap house, the Thai stock market is in bear market territory, there's a lot of political uncertainty and frustration. Thais could use a little encouragement. You live here, take some ownership in the on-the-ground situation. Become part of the community. You might be surprised by the dividends.

Thirdly, the 'I hate all other foreigners and I'm going to pretend you don't exist' mentality needs to change. Thais see how we interact with one another, and the cold shoulder, 1000 yard stare doesn't go unnoticed by Thais. I'm not calling for BFF status be extended to one and all, but the expat community could be friendlier to one another.

A good place would be to start here on TVF.

End of rant.

Edited by Gecko123

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I like your post and am in general agreement. I find giving a grin to a Thai always gets one in return, and if you're in a service situation such as a restaurant, repair shop or similar, it generally breaks down the barrier and you tend to get better service and less of the "mai mee".

However, doing the same with foreigners presents me with some difficulties. If they look, sound, act normal then I'm the first to say a Gidday or Owzitgoin.

Bbut some of the slobs on their two week millionaire vacation that have the manners, language, dress, and behaviour of a Bogan or Chav will still only illicit a contemptuous smirk from me.

Edited by Gsxrnz

It's the Thais business to sort out their problems, and I'm sure the vast majority of them agree.

You must have misunderstood the OP.

The point was to exchange smiles with Thais, interact with them and reap the rewards. The same goes for foreigners (to which I have expressed my opinions already).

But despite a vague reference to unhappy business times contributing to pressure on businesses, the post definitely wasn't about the Thai economy or business problems, nor who should fix them. It was about using a smile to make someone's day.

So back on topic, what are your views on smiling? biggrin.png

Well, surrounded by so many Russians in Jomtien, a culture where smiling at strangers is considered a sign of mental retardation, my inner Russian has emerged.

Jingthing:

You adopt the best aspects of a different culture, not the worst.

Well, surrounded by so many Russians in Jomtien, a culture where smiling at strangers is considered a sign of mental retardation, my inner Russian has emerged.

Jingthing:

That's your value judgment about the Russian attitude towards smiling when you have nothing real to smile about.

If you're on a bicycle, I'll smile and say hello (race and nationality not important).

Will I smile at all random white guy's I don't know ...... definitely not ...... that's just crazy behaviour.

If we don't have some activity in common, I don't want to know you.

I'm just fooling around here. I smile when I feel like it. I don't when I don't. Obviously it's a two way street between people, you feel out each other's vibe and go with it.

I don't really find much value in SMILE MORE publicity campaigns though. Seems really shallow.

If you're on a bicycle, I'll smile and say hello (race and nationality not important).

Will I smile at all random white guy's I don't know ...... definitely not ...... that's just crazy behaviour.

And they say Thais are xenophobic.

You don't have to stop and chat, or even say hello. But a smile as you pass by costs nothing, takes no time, and shows the world you're not a miserable old sod.

Jingthing:

That's your value judgment about the Russian attitude towards smiling when you have nothing real to smile about.

Um....I think Gecko was referring to adopting the best aspects of the Thai culture - it was you that brought the Russians into it.

I used to get a little upset about not being acknowledged by Farangs when I went on my weekly shopping trip into town. I have learned to differentiate between the three month happy holiday guys ( Thai lady either 30 metres in front or nagging about something) and guys that are here all year. Neither of them are particularly communicative, although out here in Buriram it is definitely better than in Pattaya.

In the last mountain village I stayed in in Switzerland, people would stop their car / tractor if you didn't respond to a greeting to see what was wrong. So 20 metres up the supermarket aisle you have a stroke and nobody comes to help you? I wonder why that is? I see a Farang about once a week, very often they look lost and confused so I let them know maybe I can help.

What's a 'real smile', anyway?

People smile for all sorts of reasons.

This is about "Thai-Smiles".

For years, Thai-Wife tried to explain, the slight differences between "Thai smiles". to me. Never been able to differentiate between the 77 different "smile degrees." (Including tone of voice and hardly noticeable "body language" (for Farangs,)) No, not the way Italians and French use their hands while talking. A No-No in Thailand.

Europe / US versus Asia. Will it be a peaceful "merger" or 2 worlds that collide? Our children will know the answer.

Good to know that the Thai's will keep on smiling, regardless of what "message" is conveyed this way. If Farangs understand even a slight "undertone" of the Thai smile is absolutely of no relevance to Thais.

Thai Rak Thai.

Farang rak Farang in Thailand?biggrin.png

Cheers.

Only Thai's can differentiate in a split-second, whether it's a "push button, traditionally required smile", or the "real one". Farangs can't.

Cheers.

Looking in the person's eyes can usually resolve any ambiguity which might exist.

Edited by Gecko123

Only Thai's can differentiate in a split-second, whether it's a "push button, traditionally required smile", or the "real one". Farangs can't.

Cheers.

The idea that farangs can't decipher Thai smiles is silly. Looking in a person's eyes can usually resolve any ambiguity which might exist.

Yes, even the inscrutable Asians smile with their eyes if it is real.