First poisonous spider found in Kanchanaburi

webfact

First poisonous spider found in Kanchanaburi

152-wpcf_728x409.jpg

KANCHANABURI: -- The first Mediterranean recluse spider, a poisonous spider, was first found recently at a cave in Kanchanaburi’s Saiyoke district.

Entomologists from the science faculty of Chulalongkorn University found the poisonous spider also known scientifically as Loxosceles rufescens during their exploration of a cave in Saiyoke district.

Mr Narin Chompoopuang, a PhD student in entomology said that the Mediterranean recluse spider was classified as a poisonous spider but statistics in the past 10 years show that only 10 percent of the victims bitten by the spider were hospitalized for treatment.

He said that the spider which is confined only in caves was suspected to be brought into the country since the Second World War during the construction of the Death Railway in Kanchanaburi by the Japanese Imperial Army using prisoners of war as slave labour.

There was an unconfirmed report that similar spider was found during the war about 70 years ago.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/147436

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-01-21

For those of you that don't know,ALL spiders are venemus and Thailand only has (to the best of my knowledge) this one that has long enough fangs to harm people. The size of a spider does not make it harmfull to people,I have held cane spider in my hand and they are harmless so don't kill every spider you see,remember they kill the bad bugs in the house.

My friend was bitten by a brown recluse in Canada. His leg was so nasty. It swelled up to the size of a golf ball. There was necrosis all around it. He had to uses crutches and constantly have it drained.

My friend was bitten by a brown recluse in Canada. His leg was so nasty. It swelled up to the size of a golf ball. There was necrosis all around it. He had to uses crutches and constantly have it drained.

Must have been a small leg - smaller than a golf ball ?????

For those of you that don't know,ALL spiders are venemus and Thailand only has (to the best of my knowledge) this one that has long enough fangs to harm people. The size of a spider does not make it harmfull to people,I have held cane spider in my hand and they are harmless so don't kill every spider you see,remember they kill the bad bugs in the house.

Agreed...even the skinny little "Daddy Long Legs" is venomous, it's just that its fangs are not long enough to harm us..

Cheers

happy pattaya man

Agreed...even the skinny little "Daddy Long Legs" is venomous, it's just that its fangs are not long enough to harm us..

Cheers

happy pattaya man

I would think a tarantulas fangs could harm a person if the spider was so inclined.

post-18822-0-59853700-1453345245_thumb.j

Maybe work on the wife then?

Are you saying that your friend's leg was skinnier than a golf ball laugh.png

Are you saying that your friend's leg was skinnier than a golf ball laugh.png

Yes... That's what I'm saying. His leg shriveled into a Titleist 1...

Well,he managed to bite your friend so he wasn't quiet as reclusive as his name suggests.

Some of those big ones found here. Like the one above can be aggresive. I had one chase me about 10 feet. Had just gotten out of the shower. Saw it and went to spray it and missed....Not a pretty sight.......Me naked and screaming......

Cheers

happy pattaya man

I would think a tarantulas fangs could harm a person if the spider was so inclined.

attachicon.gifil_570xN.168884396.jpg

but not indiginous to Thailand - are also a calm spider, unless you hurt it it won't bite.

Some of those big ones found here. Like the one above can be aggresive. I had one chase me about 10 feet. Had just gotten out of the shower. Saw it and went to spray it and missed....Not a pretty sight.......Me naked and screaming......

Yes, why do they seem to run towards an animal which is so much bigger, warm and screaming? Surely their leg hairs can detect danger?

Cheers

happy pattaya man

Spiders have 8 legs , where did this one gets 2 more from ?

Saw this on Thai News but wife couldn't give my the 'farang name' but I thought it looked like a 'brown recluse' which we have in the neck of the woods I come from in the US, but this one is just not brown. Now I know. Thought it was a recluse. Nasty bites. Causes serious necrosis of the skin.

Edited by connda

Cheers

happy pattaya man

Had a black tarantula bite my dog on the nose when he was a 6mo old puppy. His little nose swelled up pretty good. Gave him para as per my vets recommendation. No problem, he was better in a couple of day, and much wiser.

Cheers

happy pattaya man

but not indiginous to Thailand - are also a calm spider, unless you hurt it it won't bite.

Excuse me .. I catch this one 2 months ago in lomsak.

First post forgot to att. Pic.

This one i catch in Lomsak 2 months ago. Im not so into spiders not really know what kind, dangerous or not, i just not like them, i picked it up on a shovel and release it back in the bush, but sure it made me more careful out there.

post-233509-0-51982700-1453392266_thumb.

Cheers

happy pattaya man

Spiders have 8 legs , where did this one gets 2 more from ?

All Tarantulas look like they have ten legs. The two front ones are actually its lower mandibles which have grown extended and look like an extra set of legs.

XPat is correct,all spider's and snakes are venomous,it depends to what degree.I saw a program on this some time ago.

ago.David Attenborough i think it was.Over the years of evolution the strength of the venom is either kept strong for protection and feeding puposes,

or is lost or reduced due to the animals living environment.Its like our tails shriveled away over millions

of years due to us developing into modern homo sapiens.This is also evident in humans today.You will notice that most

if not all Thais have a longer toe next to the big toe.This is called the prehensile toe.It is evident on simeons

being used to curl around tree branches and such.It proves that some sections of the human species are still evolving.

No doubt in another few million years,we will lose little fingers on our hands,due to there being no further use

for them.

KKD

First, not all snakes are poisonous. In fact most are not.

Of course their are poisonous spiders in Thailand - just not any that have reliable evidence of killing anyone. There is the Thailand black tarantula (I think photo posted above?) it is poisionous, and can be dangerous to children. There are also several other species of Tarantula. Main concern are the widow spiders (lactrodectus, various species). lactrodectus elegans , the brown widow, rarely bites but is quite toxic - one bit my F-in-L a few years ago and he was sick for about 2 days. As always, Thai research is sloppy......

\just google venomous spiders of Thailand.