Is Thailand really cheap?

webfact

What about my wife , what about food, golf, the car we have and the motor bike, the traveling we do, going to BKK for entertainment, you don't have to drink or smoke or live the high life to live a good interesting great life, if fact it is much better with the drink or smokes, bit of silly comment. thaiduncankk ,,,

All the silly comments come from you.

Did the thread read 'Is Thailand really cheap, with my ostentatious girlfriend who is young enough to be my daughter ?'

It was a general question about the cost of living.

You don't drink, don't smoke, and you would never spend 40k a month as long as I have a hole in my arse.

Typical big deal O'Neill yank.

Your cost of living is not the same as my cost of living, nor others.

Why be an A-Hole thaiduncanbkk ?

Here is the chunk of meat I had for for lunch today.. was nice.

Not all eat food cart crapola everyday or live in a fan room to meet some paltry budget.

attachicon.gifsteak.jpg

OK, multiply that by 30 (average days in a month), and you are still way short of the ball park figure.

I am sure you are also one of the 'Thai food is the best' brigade, it is crap, but it is far cheaper than the picture of that burger.

wow... you need to lay off the pipe for a bit and arrrr Thai food to me is rancid... I'll die before I eat any of it.

Edited by Don Mega

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about my wife , what about food, golf, the car we have and the motor bike, the traveling we do, going to BKK for entertainment, you don't have to drink or smoke or live the high life to live a good interesting great life, if fact it is much better with the drink or smokes, bit of silly comment. thaiduncankk ,,,

Did the thread read 'Is Thailand really cheap, with my ostentatious girlfriend who is young enough to be my daughter ?'

You don't drink, don't smoke, and you would never spend 40k a month as long as I have a hole in my arse.

Your cost of living is not the same as my cost of living, nor others.

Why be an A-Hole thaiduncanbkk ?

Here is the chunk of meat I had for for lunch today.. was nice.

Not all eat food cart crapola everyday or live in a fan room to meet some paltry budget.

attachicon.gifsteak.jpg

OK, multiply that by 30 (average days in a month), and you are still way short of the ball park figure.

I am sure you are also one of the 'Thai food is the best' brigade, it is crap, but it is far cheaper than the picture of that burger.

wow... you need to lay off the pipe for a bit and arrrr Thai food to me is rancid... I'll die before I eat any of it.

I don't use a pipe. Just a normal bloke, not one of the 'big deal O'Neills' like a lot of fantasists on here.

The 300 baht a day minimum wage has probably had quite an impact on pushing prices up. Wifey tells me alot of the huge superstores hire burmese, etc because they can legally pay them less (200 baht a day). Think about it; if the minimum wage for any job is going to be 300 baht a day then anyone with some skill is going to want more; for example anybody doing building work now want minimum 500 baht a day, and typically you have to negotiate a price per job and 10 days of building work can easily cost 30,000 baht in labour alone. So a couple of years back you could easily get workers for 200 baht a day now you are looking at 500 baht a day, unless you can find burmese or Cambodian workers. So there is your inflation. This hike in the minimum wage has not produced better quality workers; on average Thai skill level is pretty low and thus makes Thailand very uncompetitive compared to neighbouring countries. Thus one of the reasons the economy is tanking?

Not true. Migrants are covered by minimum wage and in some cases the employer must legally also provide housing. I'd suggest checking the law.

If I was to exclude housing, I could live back in San Diego at pretty much the same cost.

Disclaimers; no I don't want to live in a tin roof shack, no I don't want to eat from the local noodle shop everyday. Yes I'm an aircon junkie

All that being said, I'm still pretty happy here

Since housing is the largest expense for USA your comment makes no sense. Cheap housing determines cheap living.

There is no place in the world that has has expensive housing and a cheap cost of living.

Cost of living could be cost of housing as the two always equate to the same thing.

I challenge you to find a place that the cost of housing is different than its rank in the cost of living.

Yeah let's compare Southern California to the wilds of Isaan. Try comparing Sukumvidt to the middle-of-nowhere Montana and see how things stack up.

Montana is actually surprisingly expensive compared to "cheap" states. It's also colder than a witch's butt for too long in the winter, running those heat bills up.

JingThing started a good thread in the Home Country Forum about a cheap way to repatriate to the US and there are many pages of ideas on how to live cheaply in the US.

I live in Salem Oregon which I suppose is mid range. I'm debt free including house and car but I also don't pinch pennies. If I wanted to or needed to live cheaply I'd simply rent a room and bath to another retired person for about $500 a month and that would polish off all of my housing expenses including property taxes and utilities.

My experience is that almost everything is cheaper in the US except housing and I wouldn't know about bar girls. I can save enough money buying a new car to eat out for the rest of the year. I have no idea what my Ford F150 4x4 Supercrew would cost in Thailand but I'd probably choke on it if I knew. Gas for it is cheaper too.

Naam, I have to pay US income taxes the same no matter where I live so that's a push.

Cheers.

Cost of living in the USA is the same as cost of housing. NYC very expensive because of expensive housing. Salem midrange because of midrange housing.

Thailand is cheap because housing is cheap. No other category matters. You can say it matters but it don't. That's why people retire to Thailand and not NYC or the South of France. It's housing.

ok.. the equalizer.. what is the comparative cost of buying a beer at the local 7-11 or other local store..

Beer is cheaper in America and better quality.

Even imported beer from Ireland (Guiness) is cheaper in America than imported beer from Laos (Tiger See Daam) is in Thailand.

Edited by SiSePuede419

I think 50,000 is more realistic , I don't drink or smoke and don't live the high life, live in a two story three bed room air cond house. ten minutes drive to Tesco or 15 minutes to Big C , it is 10,000 per month, it did take a bit of finding. good condition and nice living. in Pattaya. I think 30,000 in Pattaya or BKK is not realistic .

10k for the house, don't drink, smoke or live the high life.

Hard to see where the other 40k goes every month.

What are you on about ? no sense at all in that comment, what are you drinking or smoking it not doing you any good that for sure.

• 1 year later...

Bit late on this post ...

I spend 

25k rent pm in thonglor 

25k food (eat out everyday)

10k work expenses 

5k petrol

2k gym 

2k electricity 

2k cable/Internet/cell 

1k maid 

.5 laundry 

Excluding groceries, cleaning products, car maintenance, entertainment 

I need at least 80k pm 

am I missing something

Edited by thaifoodruns

i lived on 15k THB salary a month in pattaya(playing in a band with thai musicians), chaiyapruek opposite Jomtien when i was a musician 4 years ago. Bought a 2nd hand bike from a friend. Rental was 3k THB (aircon but no water heater). 

for living in pattaya if u r not that rich its better to lived on the side of the railway track ( cheaper rents ). rent or buy a bike for cheap transport cost (probably 200THB a week for petrol). Go to lotus and buy the packet meals for 15 to 20 baht. 

do not need to always drink in bars. Just do thai style buy at nearest alcohol store or 7-11, drink with friends below your apartment or by the beach which is free.

5 minutes ago, Moonmoon said:

i lived on 15k THB salary a month in pattaya(playing in a band with thai musicians), chaiyapruek opposite Jomtien when i was a musician 4 years ago. Bought a 2nd hand bike from a friend. Rental was 3k THB (aircon but no water heater). 

for living in pattaya if u r not that rich its better to lived on the side of the railway track ( cheaper rents ). rent or buy a bike for cheap transport cost (probably 200THB a week for petrol). Go to lotus and buy the packet meals for 15 to 20 baht. 

do not need to always drink in bars. Just do thai style buy at nearest alcohol store or 7-11, drink with friends below your apartment or by the beach which is free.

Wow, you seemed to have lived the high life that many can only dream about!

rent? why? don't ignore demographics. 

I don't think going forward from here... and already... in the North outside of Chiangmai.... you even really need to worry about rent at all.  there are now many homes where there is only one person there... in their 80's or 90's... and then.... no one living in the house. this is the trend. instead of paying rent there are gonna be folks who will need someone to take care of their property, even just to keep an eye on things.  so toss out the 10K rent, my goodness.. now what do you have in expenses? and especially "owning" something. the best situation is to be liquid now and spend it all as we get old. in fact, an abandoned home especially the teak wood ones is possibly even a bit dangerous for neighbors for no one to be there I think. and there are many of these now. think of refuse and leaves and stuff piling up there. not good. better that someone be there. but who??????

and not living in a condo or apartment.... living in a home, with trees and neighbors.. neighbors that you know and care about.. and village life.... that's a deal and not just because it is "cheap".... but it is too!!!! a double deal! a triple deal!

rural Thailand as it is now.... but it may even change in the big cities someday at least to some degree.... it is here now in the rural area. and it is a big trend.

unless you worry about an estate for children and/or young wives.... the two most difficult problems you might have, that I have, are getting good with the 'local language"... which ain't Pasa Thai at all.... and stop worrying about spending savings... because we gonna die. not an easy habit to break or not worry about. strange but quite true I think (the part about not worrying about gradually spending savings as well as income... maybe because we have to think about death and make a guess at when but you can do that).  

Thailand is much less expensive than home. insurance comes to my mind, real estate taxes and too many things to spend money in a silly way.  you don't exactly have the Jonses to keep up with in rural Thailand... and fresh and good food... the northern local food... with many ingrediants is much more healthy I have found... I don't lose energy later or feel bad after a local meal.. and I don't mean fried rice and stuff like that... the real local food... so it is a healthier lifestyle as well as more "paw peeaung"... not just cheaper.  and the health care service is better than at home too... unless you are Bill Gates even the best HMO's don't measure up to our choices.... which is what we do need money for. that's the one category of spending where it can be expensive because of imported drugs and high tech equipment such as scans that are not free for us at all.

Edited by maewang99

I strive for 10,000 budget a month

Studio room--ac-cable-wifi--add electric-etc 3500

Own a old mbike will sell it when i leave so just pay for gas

Own a bicycle-will sell that too...

Eat local or street about 100-200 with drinks

Buy a bottle of sangsom and roam as needed w/flask..

I basically live on needs--not wants but can do as i please--freedom

If i want a fancy steak i can buy one but im just as happy eating the 50bt one

Simple living...i have shelter--food--drink-transport---freedom is the key..:sleep:

As the largest amount of our budgets goes to renting a place, how would some of you recommend to find a place?

I have so far found some websites like bahtandsold or real estate agency offerings but most of them ask for fantasy prices. I have been driving around as well in some areas of Thailand but did not find many interesting offers.

Was on the lookout in Khao Lak for example and was quoted prices like 90.000 Baht for 90m2 beachfront apartment and 300.000 Baht for 300m2 House. In the end I found absolutely nothing by driving around nor on the internet.

One poster quoted 10.000 Baht for a Pattaya Villa that he managed to find. I was renting for 80.000 Baht/months a very nice pool villa on the east side after searching for several weeks.

I am very open to rent in the sticks. How would you recommend to find good offers? Maybe I return to Thailand in the next 3 Years so it is not imminent. Thanks for any advise!

On Thursday, January 21, 2016 at 11:25 AM, JohnnyJazz said:

We are in Bangkok, we live comfortably but without excess. No rent as we own our house but we have to maintain it, charge that usually fall on the owner when you rent. Monthly budget is around 30 to 40K. Then you have "exceptional expenses" that fall on a desperately regular basis (car maintenance, visit to the dentist, air cond break down, ...) and you can easily add 10 to 20K / month.

On the other hand we also have a house in the sticks. Budget 10 - 20 K a month including the extras and you can't really spend more as there is nothing to spend your money on.

Then there is the occasional week end in Pattaya with the boys. 10K can disappear overnight without you remembering where they went ...

You know where the 10k went, you just dont want the misses to know!

I'm a student in Bangkok with a monthly allowance of 25,000 which has to include everything. (Any "surprise" costs such as phone breaking, repairs etc. are covered by my parents)

My condo's rent is 9,000, add electricity and water it comes to a little over 10k. Then you have my phone bill and wifi, which since moving to True comes to a little over a thousand combined. That leaves me with 13,000 ish to spend on food and going out. I live very comfortably with this, always able to go out when my friends are, never once in 2 years have I used the kitchen in my condo, ordering food costs less than 100 baht a meal so i see no reason to cook. Going out with friends usually cost 200-300 each, i usually go out 2-3 times a week. Even with all these costs and food subtracted I'm left with 1000-2000 baht left per month, which I usually end up spending by going to one of the nightclubs in Thonglor.

Oh and I usually use taxis, fortunately most of the places are in close proximity so its only 40-50 baht each trip. Although at the start of next month I will be having my own car so it will be interesting to see how fuel costs will dive into this budget.