Thai Police v UK Police

Pilotman

Some thoughts on the relative competence of the two police forces. Our Thai neice in Udon was involved in a motorbike accident some months back that was clearly not her fault. She was quite badly injured but has recovered. The Thai police took statements and then forgot the whole thing. My Thai wife went to see them, paid them 3,000 Bhat and they then took action against the man that was at fault, which resulted in a 100K payout to the niece. Not that she will ever see that much of course, but at least they tried, eventually!

At first I was very upset that we had paid 3K to get them to do their job, then I compared that to the arrogance and incompetence of the Met in London, over Lord Bramell and various other innocent peope, wrongly accused and then left to sweat it out, sometimes unto death and in their inability to follow up leads, or indeed take any action at all, on break ins, vandalism, theft of all kinds, unsocial behaviour etc etc. Yes there is low level corruption in the Thai Police, that is irritating, but frankly, I don't mind the odd shake down by people earning a pittance, than I mind the UK Police morons in the Met and other Forces, who get paid a lot and either don't give a damn, or are too stupid to do their job properly.

End of rant!

Since we are comparing Thai and foreign police, I've a few questions. Please excuse my ignorance, I've zero knowledge about police business but the subject has been raised a couple of times with friends, both Thais and foreigners, and I never got any satisfying answers.

1/ Do Thai policemen have to buy their own guns ? If their weapons are provided by the the administration, is it legal for them to chose instead to carry their personal firearm ? What are the regulations in western countries regarding this matter ?

2/ I've seen a number of policemen clearly not on duty (having lunch for example) wearing their uniform. What are the regulation both in Thailand and western countries regarding this matter ?

I'd choose the UK rozza all day every day.

Well, the UK cops are massively more professional, procedural, regulated, qualified.........better, than they were twenty or thirty years ago. But they've been bloody awful within living memory. Brutal, thoughtless, laze, dishonest, unmotivated....

I've got an awful lot of mates who left the cops because they couldn't stand the people they were required to work with.

It's a terrible thing to say, but if you can afford £60, and that's all it takes to produce action, then from a selfish point of view that's a pretty good state of affairs. Spending a hundred times that on solicitors would be a lot more annoying.

Edited by Craig krup

The OP has provided one of the most poorly thought posts made this week.

He attempts to compare the RTP response for his niece's motorbike collision with an unsubstantiated claim that the London Met are arrogant and incompetent. To make it even more cringe worthy, the OP drags in an event with political overtones that has zero relationship to the investigation of a motorbike crash in Thailand. Had the OP compared two motor vehicle investigations, I would be more respectful, but in this case we have a man who says he bribed the Thai police, criticizing the London police for an unrelated matter and then making unsubstantiated claims.

I find it rather amusing in a macabre manner that the OP states quite matter of factly that "the UK Police morons in the Met and other Forces, get paid a lot and either don't give a damn, or are too stupid to do their job properly." I don't need to know anything about the OP to deduce that he is a male Caucasian aged 65 to 75 and has no formal education. The grammar and the emphasis upon the term "Thai wife" as if this is some sort of valuable accoutrement one finds at Central are a tip off. Why not just describe her as the "attendant" or the former bar worker from Issan? What does a Dutch wife get classified as? The lady with sizeable pins? Seriously? The Thai wife?

Yes, I get it. England changed and he doesn't like it. What did it for the OP? The fact that they have "coloured" constables on patrol? Or maybe it's women in command positions? Or maybe, they let too many visible minorities into the military and gave them commissions. *Gasp* England doesn't need whinging malcontents quick to attack its respected institutions; institutions which have held up well over the centuries and which have guided the nation through difficult times. There will always be an England and embittered disloyal residents who couldn't cut it, who are afraid of progress, deserve to have a family of the visible minority group they hate the most move in next door to them.

Edited by geriatrickid

Low level corruption ? Does killing a police man while out in your Ferrari and not spending a day in jail count as low level corruption in your world ?

That was indeed a bad situation. But in no way represents Thai or English police.

What it does show is your bigotry.

The OP has provided one of the most poorly thought posts made this week.

He attempts to compare the RTP response for his niece's motorbike collision with an unsubstantiated claim that the London Met are arrogant and incompetent. To make it even more cringe worthy, the OP drags in an event with political overtones that has zero relationship to the investigation of a motorbike crash in Thailand. Had the OP compared two motor vehicle investigations, I would be more respectful, but in this case we have a man who says he bribed the Thai police, criticizing the London police for an unrelated matter and then making unsubstantiated claims.

I find it rather amusing in a macabre manner that the OP states quite matter of factly that "the UK Police morons in the Met and other Forces, get paid a lot and either don't give a damn, or are too stupid to do their job properly." I don't need to know anything about the OP to deduce that he is a male Caucasian aged 65 to 75 and has no formal education. The grammar and the emphasis upon the term "Thai wife" as if this is some sort of valuable accoutrement one finds at Central are a tip off. Why not just describe her as the "attendant" or the former bar worker from Issan? What does a Dutch wife get classified as? The lady with sizeable pins? Seriously? The Thai wife?

Yes, I get it. England changed and he doesn't like it. What did it for the OP? The fact that they have "coloured" constables on patrol? Or maybe it's women in command positions? Or maybe, they let too many visible minorities into the military and gave them commissions. *Gasp* England doesn't need whinging malcontents quick to attack its respected institutions; institutions which have held up well over the centuries and which have guided the nation through difficult times. There will always be an England and embittered disloyal residents who couldn't cut it, who are afraid of progress, deserve to have a family of the visible minority group they hate the most move in next door to them.

You say

"The grammar and the emphasis upon the term "Thai wife" as if this is some sort of valuable accoutrement one finds at Central are a tip off. Why not just describe her as the "attendant" or the former bar worker from Issan?"

Well you may be rite. How ever I am not that good at grammar. Your statement does tell me a bit about you. The thought of Thai basher comes to mind.

Low level corruption ? Does killing a police man while out in your Ferrari and not spending a day in jail count as low level corruption in your world ?

That was indeed a bad situation. But in no way represents Thai or English police.

What it does show is your bigotry.

It in every way represents the Thai police. The Thai police should have put the murderer in jail but chose to take the money and let him run.

Why do you think it is unrepresentative of the Thai police ?

And why does it make me a bigot ? Should I just say "well that's how it works in Thailand" and move along ?

You say

"The grammar and the emphasis upon the term "Thai wife" as if this is some sort of valuable accoutrement one finds at Central are a tip off. Why not just describe her as the "attendant" or the former bar worker from Issan?"

Well you may be rite. How ever I am not that good at grammar. Your statement does tell me a bit about you. The thought of Thai basher comes to mind.

You believe me to be a Thai basher because I consider the expression "the Thai wife" to be an idiotic term? Tell me big carl, do men from York call their wives "The English wife", or "the wife of York".? Do Swedish men refer to their wives as their Swedish wives? What if they marry one of those foreigners? Do they then refer to her as the "Insert foreign origin" wife? The incessant use of the expression "the Thai wife" is found only in Thai Visa. Is a Thai wife somehow better than a Japanese wife, or a Dutch wife? Why is it the Italian men never post in TV and refer to their wives as the wife from Milan, or if she's from Udon, as the Thai wife? No one under the age of 60 uses this term "the Thai wife".

Since we are comparing Thai and foreign police, I've a few questions. Please excuse my ignorance, I've zero knowledge about police business but the subject has been raised a couple of times with friends, both Thais and foreigners, and I never got any satisfying answers.

1/ Do Thai policemen have to buy their own guns ? If their weapons are provided by the the administration, is it legal for them to chose instead to carry their personal firearm ? What are the regulations in western countries regarding this matter ?

2/ I've seen a number of policemen clearly not on duty (having lunch for example) wearing their uniform. What are the regulation both in Thailand and western countries regarding this matter ?

I have a number of friends in the BiB, they have bought their own Guns - they carry them anywhere they wish.

You usually see the Thai chaps with a small bag across their chest - this is usually where they keep their Gun when not out.

While out with a very good friend of mine I noticed he wasn't drinking much, I asked why, he answered that he had his Gun on him and didn't want to get drunk (he very rarely brings a Gun out with him, but came straight from Work that time). I very much doubt this is the case for many BiB as the news shows.

What really concerns me is that those BiB I know keep their Gun loaded (chambered bullet, safety on) - They tell me this is the way they were trained. i.e. If they need their Gun they need it quickly. This is very worrying and we had quite a discussion about it.

Well, the UK cops are massively more professional, procedural, regulated, qualified.........better, than they were twenty or thirty years ago. But they've been bloody awful within living memory. Brutal, thoughtless, laze, dishonest, unmotivated....

I've got an awful lot of mates who left the cops because they couldn't stand the people they were required to work with.

It's a terrible thing to say, but if you can afford £60, and that's all it takes to produce action, then from a selfish point of view that's a pretty good state of affairs. Spending a hundred times that on solicitors would be a lot more annoying.

The greater percentage of UK policemen enforce the letter of the law and any judgement and penalty is the remit of the law courts to which the police refer their cases.

The greater percentage of Thai policemen need to be paid to make the same effort regarding law enforcement. They also pass ex-judicial penalties including fines and detention but typically ask for lots more money to do this.

Your rant was quite entertaining why did you call the thread thai police V UK police when clearly all you wanted to do was slag the Met Police off. Makes me wonder if something happened to yourself by the Met Police. Which by the way I was proud member of for 15 years after serving my time in HM Forces. But to answer your question impossible to compare the two forces both are police and that's about as far as it goes. Bit like asking to compare atila the hun to pope John Paul.

Compare to driving plastered off a bridge, killing a girl and keeping your seat in congress for 40 years it is.

Somebody had to say it

Edited by Rob13

I have a number of friends in the BiB, they have bought their own Guns - they carry them anywhere they wish.

You usually see the Thai chaps with a small bag across their chest - this is usually where they keep their Gun when not out.

While out with a very good friend of mine I noticed he wasn't drinking much, I asked why, he answered that he had his Gun on him and didn't want to get drunk (he very rarely brings a Gun out with him, but came straight from Work that time). I very much doubt this is the case for many BiB as the news shows.

What really concerns me is that those BiB I know keep their Gun loaded (chambered bullet, safety on) - They tell me this is the way they were trained. i.e. If they need their Gun they need it quickly. This is very worrying and we had quite a discussion about it.

A weapon is "loaded" if a charged magazine is fitted, it is "ready" if a round is chambered. That is why there are two words of command when teaching weapon handling, "load" and then "ready".

A weapon is "loaded" if a charged magazine is fitted, it is "ready" if a round is chambered. That is why there are two words of command when teaching weapon handling, "load" and then "ready".

What about revolvers?

The UK police are totally corrupt.

But corrupt in different ways to the Thai police.

Hard to define the differences,

In the UK it appears to be more of a power trip, lots of false statements and falsifying evidence.

In Thailand they are just trying to make a bit of extra money.

You believe me to be a Thai basher because I consider the expression "the Thai wife" to be an idiotic term? Tell me big carl, do men from York call their wives "The English wife", or "the wife of York".? Do Swedish men refer to their wives as their Swedish wives? What if they marry one of those foreigners? Do they then refer to her as the "Insert foreign origin" wife? The incessant use of the expression "the Thai wife" is found only in Thai Visa. Is a Thai wife somehow better than a Japanese wife, or a Dutch wife? Why is it the Italian men never post in TV and refer to their wives as the wife from Milan, or if she's from Udon, as the Thai wife? No one under the age of 60 uses this term "the Thai wife".

Off topic here,

Once you've had several wives of different nationalities, it's easier to keep track of them by nationality.

I previously had an English wife, I now have a Thai wife.

My pal from Milan also, refers to wife no. 1 as the Italian wife, and wife no.2 as the Thai wife.

I've been using 'the Thai wife' from age 54, when I acquired her.

Is the Thai wife better than the English wife?

Depends on how you define 'better'. I think I would describe them as 'different' rather than 'better/worse'

My English wife was better at pumping out babies, but worse for sex (as in not much).

A bit later I might try a Chinese wife ............

Edited by MaeJoMTB

Off topic here,

Once you've had several wives of different nationalities, it's easier to keep track of them by nationality.

I previously had an English wife, I now have a Thai wife.

My pal from Milan also, refers to wife no. 1 as the Italian wife, and wife no.2 as the Thai wife.

I've been using 'the Thai wife' from age 54, when I acquired her.

Is the Thai wife better than the English wife?

Depends on how you define 'better'. I think I would describe them as 'different' rather than 'better/worse'

My English wife was better at pumping out babies, but worse for sex (as in not much).

A bit later I might try a Chinese wife ............

When you acquired your wife...... Lovely expression. Was she on special at Sainsbury's?

You say

I usually use the term my Thai wife.

It helps to differentiate her from my previous wife, who in fact was my English wife.

Does that explain it simply enough for you?