Best alternative to iPad?

cheeryble

iPad - decent hardware and reliable OS. Regular updates and security fixes. iPad mini not much difference in price to Android tablets.

Android - Wide choice but big variation in quality of tablets. Almost all will be slow (if at all) at sending out OS updates and security fixes. Most software built for phone, smaller tablet market means apps may not be optimised for larger tablet screens.

Windows 10 - it's a mess. A legacy desktop OS with touch screen control bolted on. Terrible quality app store so you will end up using desktop apps not built for touch with tiny controls. Avoid.

Interesting and informative post.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A question:

I tend to be writing an email on the Macbook Air and suddenly realise a photo I need to insert is in the iPad, and then need to mail to myself to put in Air mail.

If I have an android tablet can I synch both that and the Macbook Air to Google Photo or some Google Cloud and have all pics available quickly?

Why are you emailing yourself photos ?

Use photo stream that is what it is for [emoji106]

iPad - decent hardware and reliable OS. Regular updates and security fixes. iPad mini not much difference in price to Android tablets.

Android - Wide choice but big variation in quality of tablets. Almost all will be slow (if at all) at sending out OS updates and security fixes. Most software built for phone, smaller tablet market means apps may not be optimised for larger tablet screens.

Windows 10 - it's a mess. A legacy desktop OS with touch screen control bolted on. Terrible quality app store so you will end up using desktop apps not built for touch with tiny controls. Avoid.

Interesting and informative post.

Yup. Love your sense of humour, cheeryble.

Edited by lvr181

The Apple refurb store is the place to go. Fairly good discounts and the same warranty. I buy most of my Apple stuff from the refurb store unless I need the latest.

MightyDeals in the UK are also pretty good although they are refurbs . Two 16gb iPad Minis for my great nieces for Christmas were £260 for the pair.

As you have a MacBook you can't beat the integration of the the Apple gear. I wouldn’t touch any of the Android kit with a barge pole. Two many friends and family who have them are always complaining and telling me they wished they'd bought Apple in the first place.

I like Android as an OS, but honestly the quality of MOST applications is an issue. I have always liked the iPad and you can get an adaptor to allow you to copy stuff to a flash drive and/or a microSD card.

If you had never used an iPad you may be OK with Android apps, but having used an iPad you may find it a problem.

Don't get me wrong, Android has its advantages, for example there are some great TV apps that run on Android, but for what you say you want to do I cannot help but suspect that an iPad is best.

Technologybytes hi

could you provide a link to this adaptor and copying stuff to external storage?

How does one go about it?

To anyone

I have a "pen" for drawing on the iPad

I got a slimmest smallish one but would love one with a proper point more like the S Pen.

Is possible for iPad?

In Chiang Mai they sell the adaptors in the Apple Store that is in Central Festival Mall, I do not know about other apple stores.

Try going to Amazon and searching for "ipad storage adaptor"

Buy another ipad that has never had a screen replacement. Ipad is best, it cannot compare to any other tablet...

3 days after a screen replacement my iPad started to malfunction, took it back they said it needed new batteries, no problem fit some, went to collect it, they could not source any batteries. I eventually had it repaired at another dealer, batteries ok but new processor required !

No more repairing 16gb not enough was willing to pay for cheap screen (twice! 2x 1500 down the swanee) but that's it.

Am going back to that cheap screen guy see if he can find a little connection fault underneath but he closed last night too cold I guess

Have you thought about the new Surface Pro 4? I had a demo on one a few weeks ago, it was unbelievable. The one I tested had an I7 intel chip with 16gb RAM and a 512gb HDD. Probably more high spec than what you're looking for and also very expensive. Can be set up for use as a tablet and a laptop.

Have nice Macbook and don't feel need to spend much

A question:

I tend to be writing an email on the Macbook Air and suddenly realise a photo I need to insert is in the iPad, and then need to mail to myself to put in Air mail.

If I have an android tablet can I synch both that and the Macbook Air to Google Photo or some Google Cloud and have all pics available quickly?

Why are you emailing yourself photos ?

Use photo stream that is what it is for [emoji106]

I looked up photo stream it seems to be part of iCloud?

I haven't subscribed so far....never given Apple a penny..... but it's quite cheap isn't it?

Worry was:

I would like all/many photos on Macbook (can I utterly rely on iCloud that I won't press the wrong button and lose old photos?)

...but on the iPad to save space I'd like a limited number of photos I "use" for myself and recent maybe to upload to posts like this or mostly emails.

I couldn't see how that was possible maybe that;'s why I didn't subscribe and started looking elsewhere.

Can I do that division of photos, different on one device from another?

It's the only way not to overfill the iPad.

Thanks

The Apple refurb store is the place to go. Fairly good discounts and the same warranty. I buy most of my Apple stuff from the refurb store unless I need the latest.

MightyDeals in the UK are also pretty good although they are refurbs . Two 16gb iPad Minis for my great nieces for Christmas were £260 for the pair.

As you have a MacBook you can't beat the integration of the the Apple gear. I wouldn’t touch any of the Android kit with a barge pole. Two many friends and family who have them are always complaining and telling me they wished they'd bought Apple in the first place.

Hmmmm

I learned AFTER I changed the screen cheaply that Apple will sell me a refurb job but NOT if you've fixed something outside.

Next time.....

I like Android as an OS, but honestly the quality of MOST applications is an issue. I have always liked the iPad and you can get an adaptor to allow you to copy stuff to a flash drive and/or a microSD card.

If you had never used an iPad you may be OK with Android apps, but having used an iPad you may find it a problem.

Don't get me wrong, Android has its advantages, for example there are some great TV apps that run on Android, but for what you say you want to do I cannot help but suspect that an iPad is best.

Technologybytes hi

To anyone

I got a slimmest smallish one but would love one with a proper point more like the S Pen.

Is possible for iPad?

In Chiang Mai they sell the adaptors in the Apple Store that is in Central Festival Mall, I do not know about other apple stores.

Potentially good info it would allow me to stick with the mini 1 as a spare or give to niece, and also applies to mini 2 if I get one as nice to store files at will!

I read that the iPad needs to be jailbroken to do this? Then one downloads iFile for $4. Fair enough $ but now gotta look up jailbreaking and its disadvantages if any.

Also that pre iPad 3 needs 30 pin adaptor.....would that apply to mini I wonder?

Thanks though oh and are there knockoffs of the adaptor I guess?

Edited by cheeryble

Technologybytes hi

To anyone

Is possible for iPad?

Potentially good info it would allow me to stick with the mini 1 as a spare or give to niece, and also applies to mini 2 if I get one as nice to store files at will!

I read that the iPad needs to be jailbroken to do this? Then one downloads iFile for $4. Fair enough $ but now gotta look up jailbreaking and its disadvantages if any.

Also that pre iPad 3 needs 30 pin adaptor.....would that apply to mini I wonder?

Thanks though oh and are there knockoffs of the adaptor I guess?

No need to jailbreak, depending on what files you want to use and how.

Also, if you use a service like dropbox then you can use that to move some file types.

Applecare is the best when you have a problem and quite a few times when it has run out they have still fixed or replaced my gear for free or very cheaply. My 2012 Thunderbolt display had an issue last summer and they repaired it FOC.

Also two two year old iPhones replaced with new phones for very modest money (about 100 quid). One of them after it was driven over three times. biggrin.png

I have one Apple air at work,good building quality and battery. Exselent for large files and drawings.

Private I got a Samsung S pen. Perfect for language training, reading and watching movies. But the battery is not so good.

My phone is a Samsung . To transfer pics and documents between I use Onedrive for Google. Works fine for both iPad and android. Access to the files everywhere.

No need to jailbreak, depending on what files you want to use and how.

Also, if you use a service like dropbox then you can use that to move some file types.

Is that a fact TB?

I've learned a lot the last couple of days and consider the time here well spent.

I visited the repair shop today and am definitely abandoning the mini 1.

The next shop is my friend who sells phones an a few tablets.

She didn't try to sell me anything, suggested I buy a new mini 2 new from Apple shop.

I said but you've got two Samsung tablets there.

She said she had a Samsung tablet and had trouble, would never buy again but uses iPad happily.

Thanks to all for your suggestions and info about all aspects which have brought my decision.

The only real iPad challenge is storage.

The price of 11,700 is reasonable for what one gets.

If I can connect to the mini with one of these external devices the deal's all but done, and I'll still be fully compatible with the Macbook.

I'm very glad I asked here and genuinely looked at alternatives as I wouldn't have known a lot of this very useful stuff.

TB if you could point me to info about file transfers I'd be grateful I've already had a look but thought I had to jailbreak which can mean probs with updating the system.

Again thanks!

Edited by cheeryble

Dropbox / cloud storage is the way forward. Been using Dropbox for over two years now to keep my iPhone 6S Plus / iPad Air 2 storage relatively clear. I've got 23GB of free storage and have a spare account for use once I've filled the first. Dropbox also integrates seamlessly with iOS and OS X.

Throw in the LastPass app to secure your accounts and you're in iOS Heaven. Knowing how they all work helps.

Here is an objective rundown of the "Best Tablets 2016".

http://www.techradar.com/news/mobile-computing/tablets/10-best-tablet-pcs-in-the-world-today-1079603

The iPad Air 2 is still ranked as #1. If you really want to switch to Android for whatever reason, the Google Pixel C is ranked #2 as the "best Android tablet". Retail price is the same as iPad Air 2.

Well I thought I was done here but notice a few more posts came in and there's always something worthwhile so may a well consider over morning tea.

I am half sat up in bed.

Had a brainwave in the cold spell and it's warming up the bedroom now, and I'm going to pay you all back with this:

You know the new turbo ovens look like a big pyrex bowl with a halogen ring and fan built into the lid.

(They are FANTASTIC for cooking and cheap as hell......get one)

Well I took the working lid from the box, sat it on the tallest grille rack from the bowl, plugged in over tiles, and turned on.

I gentle whoosh and I have a fan heater!

Back to work:

It sounds like the OP genuinely wants to downgrade. Though you might want to check out the iPad Mini 4 before you get reckless.

I went to the Apple Store in Gad Suan Gaew in CM and worked out the advantage of the mini 4 at 16900 over the mini 2 at 11700.

It's a bit quicker (1.3x) which I don't need the 1 is fine let alone the 2.

It's a very tiny bit thinner.

Picture the same.

Oh it has a fingerprint scanner which is the last thing I need.

Given my previous comments about external storage 32gb should be fine I've been making do with 16gb (NOT enough) and no external except using youtube to store my video takes. TB now says I can use external, just a little learning curve.

One slight concern:

Will there come a time in less than say 3 years when the mini 2......already over 2 yo.....will not allow a system upgrade?

Edited by cheeryble

Here is an objective rundown of the "Best Tablets 2016".

http://www.techradar.com/news/mobile-computing/tablets/10-best-tablet-pcs-in-the-world-today-1079603

The iPad Air 2 is still ranked as #1. If you really want to switch to Android for whatever reason, the Google Pixel C is ranked #2 as the "best Android tablet". Retail price is the same as iPad Air 2.

Thanks but as I've been told before by the fairer sex 8 inch maximum.

Edited by cheeryble

Applecare is the best when you have a problem and quite a few times when it has run out they have still fixed or replaced my gear for free or very cheaply. My 2012 Thunderbolt display had an issue last summer and they repaired it FOC.

Also two two year old iPhones replaced with new phones for very modest money (about 100 quid). One of them after it was driven over three times. biggrin.png

It's true.

It was ridiculously overpriced to extend it for the first couple of years then they about halved the premium though personally I don't bother any more.

ps wonder if it covers a dropped iPad with a broken screen. I like minimum size and weight and never use a protective cover.

Edited by cheeryble

I have one Apple air at work,good building quality and battery. Exselent for large files and drawings.

Private I got a Samsung S pen. Perfect for language training, reading and watching movies. But the battery is not so good.

My phone is a Samsung . To transfer pics and documents between I use Onedrive for Google. Works fine for both iPad and android. Access to the files everywhere.

Again Air too big.

Like the idea of an S pen very much and still wondering if a pointy stylus is available for iPad.

Don't like short battery life I never have to top up iPad outside during the day even after over two years.

Must look into he whole backup and file transfer world and will now include Onedrive.

Thanks for that.

Question:

I have loads and loads of Notes in the built in Apple app

Are these transferable to a new Mini without the hassle of emailing them all to myself?

I did ask about transfer from old to new generally and was told Photos etc they will do but not all apps I buy guess that'll be a job hope I've got passwords. (must consider Lastpass)

Well I thought I was done here but notice a few more posts came in and there's always something worthwhile so may a well consider over morning tea.

I am half sat up in bed.

Had a brainwave in the cold spell and it's warming up the bedroom now, and I'm going to pay you all back with this:

You know the new turbo ovens look like a big pyrex bowl with a halogen ring and fan built into the lid.

Well I took the working lid from the box, sat it on the tallest grille rack from the bowl, plugged in over tiles, and turned on.

Back to work:

It sounds like the OP genuinely wants to downgrade. Though you might want to check out the iPad Mini 4 before you get reckless.

I went to the Apple Store in Gad Suan Gaew in CM and worked out the advantage of the mini 4 at 16900 over the mini 2 at 11700.

Picture the same.

Given my previous comments about external storage 32gb should be fine I've been making do with 16gb (NOT enough) and no external except using youtube to store my video takes. TB now says I can use external, just a little learning curve.

One slight concern:

Will there come a time in less than say 3 years when the mini 2......already over 2 yo.....will not allow a system upgrade?

You might want to think again about the value of the "fingerprint scanner" (touch ID). That little feature has saved me loads of time for apps that require a password, when opening my iPad after it is locked, and on the iTunes and app stores.

I am half sat up in bed.

Back to work:

Picture the same.

One slight concern:

You might want to think again about the value of the "fingerprint scanner" (touch ID). That little feature has saved me loads of time for apps that require a password, when opening my iPad after it is locked, and on the iTunes and app stores.

Oh it works as a password?

Thought it was just for the iPad access code.

There will come a time with every device when it will not update anymore. I still have my original iPad (the first one) and I have not been able to update that for a couple of years now and the old youtube app no longer works.

I also have an iPad Mini (first one), iPad 2 and and iPad Air, all are 64gb and the air is 3G (which has been very useful).

Getting the latest model will allow you to use it for longer in theory, its always best in my opinion to get the most memory and latest model that you can comfortably afford. Though I do not apply that to my Macs, I use a Mac Mini as a desktop and a 2011 Macbook Air as my portable. In my opinion the Macbook Air is the best portable ever made. I upgraded the SSD on that to 1TB and it runs very fast for everything I do.

I am half sat up in bed.

Back to work:

Picture the same.

One slight concern:

Oh it works as a password?

Thought it was just for the iPad access code.

Yes and that really is a time saver if you use password protected apps such as for banking. No need to remember all those passwords or type them in. But remember: if you have trained your iPad to recognise someone else's fingerprints so they can use your iPad, such as the missus, they will have access to all those apps as well!