Tiger Temple to sue 'National Geographic' over damning report

webfact

Between the Temple and Nat Geo, which of the 2 do you think is more credible? Would someone please make a poll on this PLEASE? My reply might, however might be misconstrued as defamation so there you have it.

i fail to see how dichotomising the issues surrounding the temple into a simple yes/no poll will help sort out the mess in any way whatsoever....it's not a boxing match, it is the fate of 150 or more tigers and allegations of a fairly complex nature that stretch across both national and international law.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

....when you shatter the delusion/illusion of a psycho....they must destroy you at all costs....

...we used to see it in bad psycho/horror movies.......we are seeing daily in real life........

Such a true statement that it needs repeating; when you shatter the delusions and illusions of a psychopath, they must destroy you at all costs.

The culture of this place breeds said individuals...

With respect to the tigers, two things;

1. I wonder what PETA would say. http://www.peta.org/

2. I wonder if telling them violates the computer crime act.

Edited by onetime

As someone who has lived in Thailand and traveled all over for many years I am tired of the constant attacks this place gets. Anyone who have been around knows of far worse places that just because of their affiliations are ignored.

Don't get me wrong we all want these majestic creatures back in the wild and no one want to see acts of cruelty, but

1. Would you prefer the animal dead or alive?

2. I have never seen evidence of drugging here and I have been many times and while I am no expert it does not take one to see when an animal is drugged, and I grisly believe they are not

3. We all know bad press is better than good

4. I cannot believe the vast number of European volunteers at the temple would allow cruelty to prevail

5. I would imagine most of those posting here have never even been

6. It appears to me as with 90% of the posts on here it's another opportunity to skate the country. To those I say if it really is as you say then please go home and let those who understand and enjoy the life here live it with out your sour mouthed comments.

As far as I can see from my many visits to the temple things get better every time and it's about time the sandals touting hippie community found something else to moan about if you don't like something don't do it

As someone who has lived in Thailand and traveled all over for many years I am tired of the constant attacks this place gets. Anyone who have been around knows of far worse places that just because of their affiliations are ignored.

Don't get me wrong we all want these majestic creatures back in the wild and no one want to see acts of cruelty, but

2. I have never seen evidence of drugging here and I have been many times and while I am no expert it does not take one to see when an animal is drugged, and I grisly believe they are not

4. I cannot believe the vast number of European volunteers at the temple would allow cruelty to prevail

6. It appears to me as with 90% of the posts on here it's another opportunity to skate the country. To those I say if it really is as you say then please go home and let those who understand and enjoy the life here live it with out your sour mouthed comments.

As far as I can see from my many visits to the temple things get better every time and it's about time the sandals touting hippie community found something else to moan about if you don't like something don't do it

"Anyone who have been around knows of far worse places" - this is NOT an argument - it is a cliche. How do the sins of another country in any way mitigate the sins of the temple?

Your numbered arguments indicate but one thing - you have no grasp whatsoever of the issues surrounding the temple - you haven't addressed any of them properly.

There is a huge problem of ignorance amongst those who "oppose" the temple and it is facile arguments of these people this that contribute to allowing the deplorable situation at the temple to go on and on.

Well, it would appear that YOU are the one who does not understand. Either that, or you are just a troll.

I almost saw that coming... But hey, they don't feel the tigers are "ready to go", after all, lol.

hell the tigers do not want to go also , they are junkie cats now . they need de-tox before they go anywhere .

any notice all the tigers suddenly appearing in places like Nong nuch gardens pattaya and other places, tigers are everywhere and for one thing only - Photo shoots for 100 baht a pop!
Im guessing those missing tigers are there.,..

My dear,

your points are pointless. They are platitudes (3, 4), rhetorical (1) and wishful thinking, not based on facts (2, 5, 6).

What this article is really about: Members of a revered Thai institution (monks, Buddhism, temple) are repeatedly allowed to flaunt the law and get away with it, because they are entitled and untouchable. However, once there is a critical published article about their activities, then they suddenly use the same flaunted justice system to further their goals. It's about hypocrisy by the Boys in Orange (BiO).

I almost saw that coming... But hey, they don't feel the tigers are "ready to go", after all, lol.

hell the tigers do not want to go also , they are junkie cats now . they need de-tox before they go anywhere .

Read this.....http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/887973-thailands-tiger-temple-to-give-up-big-cats-activist-says/page-2#entry10333636

Please get a grip. Just because a lot of us have seen what goes on here and you obviously kept your head in the sand please don't attack the messenger.

any notice all the tigers suddenly appearing in places like Nong nuch gardens pattaya and other places, tigers are everywhere and for one thing only - Photo shoots for 100 baht a pop!

Im guessing those missing tigers are there.,..

Tigers are worth between 5 to 50 thousand dollars, dead or alive, what is your basis for thinking they have been shipped places like Nong Nuch?

You have your opinion, from which I see that as a new member you haven't learnt yet not to categorise those people you don't know, but disagree with. Please don't also suggest we go home. I've no idea who you are, but since you are obviously a supporter of what happens at the temple, I will respect that and make no comment on your opinion. However, I will say I've lived in LOS for 11 years and visit Kanchanaburi at least once a year and am aware of the location of the temple , as I've driven past it on several occasions. I rarely visit places where naturally wild animals are kept in captivity because I don't agree with the idea. However, if a sanctuary is set up for the preservation and breeding of an endangered species then, yes I would support that principle. Until the doubts about the Tiger temple are cleared up and it operates on a fully legal and accredited basis I'm sorry, but I'll still drive past it. I think the best thing to happen would be for National Geographic to be sued by the temple. Maybe they could get the WWF to speak and endorse their libel suit. Sorry to disappoint you, but I'm not one of those 'sandals touting hippies'.

Nah, nah, nah, nah, nah. We are children who appear to be men. We look like men. We try to act like men, until someone busts us, catches us in the act, and exposes our wrongdoing. Then we revert back to being children again. The fact that we only have an emotional development of a 12 year old boy causes us to have very, very thin skin, and to be easily embarrassed and humiliated. This incident is humiliating to us. We are very proud people. We prefer to get the adoration of the people, and we prefer for them to not know anything about our illicit deals. When an international publication has the nerve to write something bad about us, even if it is true, we will then ask our shark lawyer Saiyood Pengboonchoo to defend us, and sue the hell out of National Geographic. Since he will be collecting a large fee for this case, he did not bother to let us know we have absolutely no chance of winning this case. For decades international courts have laughed at petitions that originate in Thai courts, since they know how compromised those courts are, and have always been. Courts without credibility are not taken seriously throughout the world, and cases without merit are not either. Defamation cases, are the work of cowards, attempting to defend the fragile egos of their masters. Defamation is taken seriously in the land of small, cowardly men who practice the fools act of face. But, not elsewhere. Only here. The standards for defamation around the world are far, far higher.

Are you one of the monks who work there?? Otherwise - you poor demented soul.

For men of little creativity, the answer is always the same. If you don't like it here, go home. Such a boring and inane comment, lacking intellectual foundation, and any sort of real enterprise or analysis. What, we are not free to comment? And if we do comment on something critically, we are surely not fond of our adapted homeland? Most of us who comment here, in a critical nature, love Thailand. We want to see the place improve. We want to see the people progress. Many of us are very fond of the Thai people, and appreciate alot of their qualities. Many of us love our lives here. We are simply venting, and expressing our opinions, and hoping that open minded men and women can read our opinions without asking us to go home. We would do the same no matter where we were. We were taught the the bedrock of democracy, and an open and free society was the ability to have a dialogue. That is why we have not chosen North Korea, China, Cuba, Iran, or Saudi Arabia to live in.

My dear,

your points are pointless. They are platitudes (3, 4), rhetorical (1) and wishful thinking, not based on facts (2, 5, 6).

What this article is really about: Members of a revered Thai institution (monks, Buddhism, temple) are repeatedly allowed to flaunt the law and get away with it, because they are entitled and untouchable. However, once there is a critical published article about their activities, then they suddenly use the same flaunted justice system to further their goals. It's about hypocrisy by the Boys in Orange (BiO).

I'm getting tired of these "If you don't like it- leave apologists". That's not the answer to many of the problems in this country and it is only in support to keep all wrongdoing under the carpet.

Those tigers are sedated no way in the world could total strangers sit on them , cuddle them the place should be shut down !!!

...and you are an expert on Tiger behaviour/psychology?

I am not saying the tigers are or are not drugged, and the reason for this is firstly I do know a bit about tiger behaviour and also how circuses use various methods to subdue animals. Drugging is commonly used by street vendors to placate their animals, it is commonplace in Thailand, but alll reports about the temple have shied away from making this accusation directly as the evidence is simply not there - and glib comments about lay-person assumptions of tiger behaviour have no value whatsoever.

What makes me so annoyed about this is that people who clearly have no idea what they are talking about make these assertions which at beat are a distraction from the main issues the temple is accused of....it just shows that they have no idea of the problems cause by and surrounding the temple if they think that repeating accusations of drugging is in any way helpful.

if the temple is to be brought to task it is important that those who criticise the place have at least basic grasp of the issues involved.

Tigers are apex predators, unlike lions and other big cats they are solitary hunters most of the time and use there "camouflage" to get within a few meters of prey before making one short final dash. They often stash their food and come back to it....they don't run around making frenzied attacks on anything that moves and they don't spend all their time hunting. in fact like many predators, between preys they reduce their movement to an absolute MINIMUM to conserve energy. Tigers cover large ranges - especially the males, and they will walk around them in a way that uses as little energy as possible. It is often possible to find tiger scat etc on human tracks and paths laid through forests as these offer the tiger the line of least resistance when moving about. when not moving the tigers will rest for long periods of time.

there is a serious problem with those who think they oppose the temple - they don't seem to have the right facts and time and again the allegations of drugging are cited as if fact. the truth is - although plausible - there has never been concrete evidence of this.

The most serious thing about the allegations of drugging is that this kind of "gossip" detracts from the very real and serious shortcomings of the temple - the breeding (even hybrids), that is illegal, the substandard care and conditions, the inappropriate diet, which is in itself evidence of the gross lack of knowledge displayed by the temple, and the massively misleading claims that this temple has any conservation credentials when in fact they are actually harming attempts to conserve the tiger and its ecosystems in Thailand and S. E. Asia..

Edited by cumgranosalum

The way these things go in Thailand, if any National Geographic reps come from overseas, their passports will be seized and they won't be allowed to leave the country. It doesn't matter if things are true or false, just who is losing face. "Oh my goodness, they've embarrassed me by telling the truth! Sue them!"

Whether it's fishing, human trafficking, fruit processing, aiviation, and now tigers, it's sad the first reaction of the average Thai business operator is to kill (sometimes literally) the messenger. Hopefully, in this age of social media, these types will soon learn it's better to work to solve the underlying issue than shoot oneself in the foot.

Those tigers are sedated no way in the world could total strangers sit on them , cuddle them the place should be shut down !!!

...and you are an expert on Tiger behaviour/psychology?

I am not saying the tigers are or are not drugged, and the reason for this is firstly I do know a bit about tiger behaviour and also how circuses use various methods to subdue animals. Drugging is commonly used by street vendors to placate their animals, it is commonplace in Thailand, but alll reports about the temple have shied away from making this accusation directly as the evidence is simply not there - and glib comments about lay-person assumptions of tiger behaviour have no value whatsoever.

What makes me so annoyed about this is that people who clearly have no idea what they are talking about make these assertions which at beat are a distraction from the main issues the temple is accused of....it just shows that they have no idea of the problems cause by and surrounding the temple if they think that repeating accusations of drugging is in any way helpful.

if the temple is to be brought to task it is important that those who criticise the place have at least basic grasp of the issues involved.

Tigers are apex predators, unlike lions and other big cats they are solitary hunters most of the time and use there "camouflage" to get within a few meters of prey before making one short final dash. They often stash their food and come back to it....they don't run around making frenzied attacks on anything that moves and they don't spend all their time hunting. in fact like many predators, between preys they reduce their movement to an absolute MINIMUM to conserve energy. Tigers cover large ranges - especially the males, and they will walk around them in a way that uses as little energy as possible. It is often possible to find tiger scat etc on human tracks and paths laid through forests as these offer the tiger the line of least resistance when moving about. when not moving the tigers will rest for long periods of time.

there is a serious problem with those who think they oppose the temple - they don't seem to have the right facts and time and again the allegations of drugging are cited as if fact. the truth is - although plausible - there has never been concrete evidence of this.

The most serious thing about the allegations of drugging is that this kind of "gossip" detracts from the very real and serious shortcomings of the temple - the breeding (even hybrids), that is illegal, the substandard care and conditions, the inappropriate diet, which is in itself evidence of the gross lack of knowledge displayed by the temple, and the massively misleading claims that this temple has any conservation credentials when in fact they are actually harming attempts to conserve the tiger and its ecosystems in Thailand and S. E. Asia..

You remind me of an American hippy girl I once met who had visited the temples in Chiang Mai.

She thought it was so cool and spiritual to hang out with and take pictures with the tigers. I told her that they're drugged and tigers don't wanna hang out with people no matter how cool and spiritual they are. They're a wild animal who hunt for their food and are very territorial.

She simply said 'Not at this temple" Hey, whatever helps you sleep at night. Most people spend their whole lives deluded to satisfy their own selfish needs.