Thai Health Ministry urges public to refrain from alcohol during cold weather

webfact

Public Health Ministry urges public to refrain from alcohol during cold weather

BANGKOK, 27 January 2016 (NNT) - The Ministry of Public Health has advised against drinking alcoholic beverages during the cold weather, which can lead to fatal dehydration and the loss of body heat.

Permanent Secretary of Public Health Sopon Mekthon has urged provincial public health offices and community health centers to educate the public on healthy practices during the cold weather.

Vulnerable groups include the elderly with chronic illnesses, persons with disabilities, and young children. The public has been advised to wear multiple layers of clothes, use blankets when sleeping, and refrain from sleeping outdoors.

Dr Sopon also warned the public against drinking alcohol, which he says will not help keep the body warm. Instead, alcohol will cause hot flashes due to the expansion of capillaries under the skin, eventually resulting in dehydration and the loss of body heat. Those that drink and fall asleep can die due to low body temperatures.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-01-27 footer_n.gif

the weird thing is, some Thais cover up almost completely during the hottest days, sometimes wearing layered clothing and almost always covering their heads. I realize they do this for the sun UV thing.

All they have to do is dress like this when it is cold and stay inside.

i guess it is hard to dress older people who are bed ridden.

i carry a shemagh with me on my motorcycle trips. great for hot or cold. Blocks UV when you are out in the open, like on the water.

and it scares the sh*t out of Muslims to see a white guy wearing one. smile.png

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=shemagh&biw=1280&bih=672&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwjSqd380snKAhWRCY4KHV22DS0Q_AUIBigB

Edited by NCC1701A

Telling people not to drink alcohol during the cold weather?Telling that to the Thais,Brits,Aussies,Russians,Americans,Irish,Scottish,and all the other expats here would be like pissing into the wind.In my village during this cold spell,the sale of that Lo khoa crap has gone up so much that the local shop owner is now driving around in a new car.Nothing like a glass of whiskey,with honey and lemon for a warmer upper.
KKD

Telling people not to drink alcohol during the cold weather?Telling that to the Thais,Brits,Aussies,Russians,Americans,Irish,Scottish,and all the other expats here would be like pissing into the wind.In my village during this cold spell,the sale of that Lo khoa crap has gone up so much that the local shop owner is now driving around in a new car.Nothing like a glass of whiskey,with honey and lemon for a warmer upper.

KKD

Brits and Scottish ?

So Scotland is no longer part of the Union and here's me thinking the referendum voted No !

"The public has been advised to wear multiple layers of clothes, use blankets when sleeping, and refrain from sleeping outdoors."

Give them some credit please, do they really need to be told this?

Yes unfortunately.