Can't Come In Without A Boarding Pass!

Pui

I have to admit, it's the only country that's asked me for a boarding pass as I left the flight.

That is the airline not the country.

Cathay Pacific is either worried about security issues, or

idiots who get off at the wrong place. :o

in a similar vein, I note that TM cards are now being collected as you board the aircraft rather than by the immigration officer.

Evidently people have been attempting to do a border crossing without actually flying.

I have to admit, it's the only country that's asked me for a boarding pass as I left the flight.

idiots who get off at the wrong place. :D

Hmm , get off at the wrong place ?

They running buses or planes ?

(Or airbuses.)

:o

It is a standard practice everywhere that the boarding pass is checked at the immigration. The aim is to prevent non-passengers from accessing international area.

Funny debate this, I for example, have never, ever been asked for my BC on arrival / immigration at any airport on 5 continents.

• Thanks 1

idiots who get off at the wrong place. :o

(Or airbuses.)

Come on guys, I am often on Cathay Pacific HKG-BKK-Colombo.

When leaving the plane they look for Colombo-passengers to give them a tansit-card so they can reboard 45 minutes later.

Actually, I always thought I should take on although I go into BKK. Would give them some extra counting as one transit-passenger is 'missing'.

idiots who get off at the wrong place. :D

(Or airbuses.)

:o

Yes, get off at the wrong place. For example ticket for: X - Bangkok - Singapore may be cheaper than equivalent ticket for: X - Bangkok. Thus airlines may want to check that people who bought ticket to Singapore aren't leaving in Bangkok...

• 17 years later...

It is a requirement without a punishement.

We have been coming to Thailand for 26 years and have only been asked once or twice

My boarding pass usually is on my mobile now , I throw paper boarding passes in the bin in the planes lavatory.

I do this purposely to shame them. When I fly on KE with airline staff discount tickets I cannot use the mobile boarding pass however.

Last week at Chiang Mai Airport, I was asked for my boarding pass by some little dyke.

I thought I left it in my seat back pocket, so I told her my flight number. Done.

• Sad 1

Oh? 🤣 I see. Nothing has changed. It is a requirement without a punishment.

It appears  "17 years later" the Royal Thai Immigration Border management system is so poxy they do not know even what flight a farnags come from by scanning the passport.

In US all I do is approach a Global Entry kiosk that scans me face. I do not even have to pull out my passport usually. (Now I can do it on my mobile also. Take selphie. Same as Kiosk)

Edited by Captain Monday

In a similar story to the Ops, arriving last month, the immigration officer asked for my boarding pass, I didn't have it...  

My Wife was a couple of rows across and had the boarding passes in her handbag, I was able to ask her.

Then the Immigration office said it doesn't matter and that was that.

So... I'm not sure what the reason is exactly - but they definately want to 'see a boarding pass' or at least be sure that you have one.

I think it may be to stop people doing 'airside visa runs' (i.e. getting a cheap flight, passing through Immigration as if to exit, then turning round and coming straight back in again) but surely that would get picked up on the Immigration Database. 

4 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

Oh? 🤣 I see. Nothing has changed. It is a requirement without a punishment.

It appears  "17 years later" the Royal Thai Immigration Border management system is so poxy they do not know even what flight a farnags come from by scanning the passport.

In US all I do is approach a Global Entry kiosk that scans me face. I do not even have to pull out my passport usually.

Give me Thai Immigration and Suvarnabumi airport over any US Airport and US Immigration and security staff any day of the week !!!! 

• Thanks 1

On 10/20/2006 at 6:08 PM, zink said:

Yes, get off at the wrong place. For example ticket for: X - Bangkok - Singapore may be cheaper than equivalent ticket for: X - Bangkok. Thus airlines may want to check that people who bought ticket to Singapore aren't leaving in Bangkok...

Its called 'skiplagging' and not illegal from an immigration point of view, but airlines do what they can to stop people from doing this, even banning a passenger from the airline if they are caught doing this repeatedly.

I believe its more common in the states.

I don't think this is the reason for the boarding pass checks at Immigration though - Immigration do not care to do the bidding of airlines, especially if it involves any 'extra' processes or work etc.

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

In a similar story to the Ops, arriving last month, the immigration officer asked for my boarding pass, I didn't have it...  

My Wife was a couple of rows across and had the boarding passes in her handbag, I was able to ask her.

Then the Immigration office said it doesn't matter and that was that.

So... I'm not sure what the reason is exactly - but they definately want to 'see a boarding pass' or at least be sure that you have one.

I think it may be to stop people doing 'airside visa runs' (i.e. getting a cheap flight, passing through Immigration as if to exit, then turning round and coming straight back in again) but surely that would get picked up on the Immigration Database. 

I really think Immigration don't know your flight number.

At CNX usually slow one flight arriving at a time.

This time there were some Chinese that arrived at the same time.

I always go to the far left side where there is always one senior looking  IO gentleman there

This time I was herded to a station that had two women

One smiling no mask, the other masked with a short haircut

I got soft butch. She did not seem happy when I told here I had no boarding pass but sorry I forgot it

So she asked my flight number. That was it... Done. KE 667

A requirement without a punishment. 

Non -RE. Best Visa type in Thailand.   Better than Elite.

You are already approved

8 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Its called 'skiplagging' 

I believe its more common in the states.

It is because for comptetive reasons in USA it may be way cheaper to fly for example EWR-LAX-BFL

then to to just go EWR-LAX.  it works if you do not have checked bags, but against the contract of carriage and can get one banned.

I lost mine on the plane somehow last year. They asked for it and I couldn't find it. I did produce all the other docs. Tourist visa print out etc. They didn't ask me for my return flight although I had one that I cancelled after i arrived. TIT .. maybe more ways to make some tea money off the incoming herds. It was late at night, not busy. No problems but, as is the case with a lot of immigration business here rules are not strictly followed and the difference between policies at immigration entrance let alone immigration offices is quite a bit of a puzzle that keeps expats in constant frustration.