Can't Come In Without A Boarding Pass!

Pui

Last night I arrived from Hong Kong with my wife and 2 others. I grabbed my passport from my wife and nipped to the loo. When I got to the front of the imagration line the immigration lady would not let me in without my boarding pass stub.

Fortunately my wife had my boarding pass stub but it’s a large area. I called her on my mobile phone and she had not cleared customs yet. A couple of minutes later I called again and asked the immigration Nazi if she would speak Thai to my wife and say in Thai “Boarding pass stub”. She wouldn't. I was told to step out of line. you can come to the front of the line and not queue again. When I asked "Why do I need a boarding pass" She told me "it’s the new rules"

Then 3 other immigration people turned up and took my passport away.

Eventually my wife came to the counter and produced my boarding pass. The female immigration officer scolded her for what reason I don't know.

It was all very unnecessary.

Then she still wouldn't let me in. Said I must go and queue again. The other immigration offices all made a big joke. Lots of “mai phen Rai” and told me to apologize. For what, don’t know so I just apologized and then eventually got my stamp in.

I think they call it “little emperor syndrome”

Where does is state that you cannot come in without a boarding pass?

If my wife hadn’t had the boarding pass what would they have done…?

If you're going to make new rules please publish them. I go to HK every month and have done for several years. I have never ever been asked for a boarding pass.

Whether I’m right or wrong is not why I thought I’d write this. Perhaps you are meant to keep it and they’re just going by the book. The immigration officer didn’t need to get so nasty though.

I hope I can help anyone else avoid what I went through.

Don't forget your boarding pass.

Edited by Pui

At the old airport they would check your boarding pass as you walked off the plane.

Maybe they’ve economised so the immigration counter to does both jobs.

I have to admit, it's the only country that's asked me for a boarding pass as I left the flight.

I heard this same thing from someone who recently came into Thailand from London. He was told by the (rude, very young, barely trained) immigration trainee that the trainee "didn't believe" he had arrived on the flight he said he had. They proceeded to have an argument about what his flight number was, of all things!

My friend says all the staff there appear completely green and newly "trained."

I believe this requirement has been in place for a very long time, but has not been strictly enforced. I can recall having similar problems ten or more years ago.

Another case of enforcing 'rules' that have been there all the time but essentially ignored 'twould seem.

Oh well, at least now we know and are therefore prepared... :o

At the old airport they would check your boarding pass as you walked off the plane.

Maybe they’ve economised so the immigration counter to does both jobs.

I have to admit, it's the only country that's asked me for a boarding pass as I left the flight.

Hmmm, I've been coming through Don Muang for 42 years and have NEVER been asked for my boarding pass. When did this start, at DM, that is?? I've not yet been through Suvarnabhumi but am reading the comments since baby sister and her family, total eight folks on several different flights, are coming in December. Sure looking for tips for them to ease the arrival.

Mac

DM started checking boarding passes over 1 year ago. There would 2 officials waiting at the top of the ramp. If people had lost their boarding pass they were asked to show their ticket.

A 3rd official would be standing behind them counting the passengers as they departed the flight.

About two years ago they put a new sign on all the immigration booths at DM saying that you must present your:

Passport

TM card

Boarding pass

Anyone entering Thailand via DM the last two years must have seen this sign.

This was strictly adhered to for about a year, then slowly less rigorous.

Guess they must have revived this at the new airport.

DM started checking boarding passes over 1 year ago. There would 2 officials waiting at the top of the ramp. If people had lost their boarding pass they were asked to show their ticket.

A 3rd official would be standing behind them counting the passengers as they departed the flight.

I have arrived at DM three times within the last year, and never been asked to show my boarding pass at the gate. It probably depended on where you were arriving from.

Sophon

crap.I have never been asked for the stub of my boarding pass at DM or a copy of a printout e-ticket.

On my past 10+ flights into DM flying Thai, Emirates, Gulf and Singapore airlines all passengers were asked to show their boarding pass on the ramp. The last time was a month ago.

I suggest you read some of the other posts above and the thread mentioned by guardian before offering kiwi fertilizer. :o

Cathay Pacific makes an announcement that you will be asked for the b/pass,

never heard it on TG.

:o

I aarived in BKK on 12 October on TG from Athens. I posted the info about the immigration checking boarding passes on entry on the 13th. They will ask you for your boarding pass stub, and check the number against the entry on your Arrival/Departure card.

Don't know why, but I guess it is the new policy.

So be sure to keep the boarding pass stub for the immigration.

TITS

:D

It is a standard practice everywhere that the boarding pass is checked at the immigration. The aim is to prevent non-passengers from accessing international area.

They will ask you for your boarding pass stub, and check the number against the entry on your Arrival/Departure card. Don't know why, but I guess it is the new policy.

According to instructions at Don Muang immigration, the boarding pass must be presented when entering the country.

This policy isn't new, it just looks like they started enforcing an old policy.

No worries I always hang on to the boarding pass just in case airline fks up and doesnt credit it me for my miles.

Same as me. My luck was therefore in when confronted with the new application of rules a couple of weeks ago..

Saw some sent back to aircraft for retrieval! :o

The reason is that some people do their visa runs within the airport (via transit hall). Checking in, pass outbound immigration and just enter the arrivals and enter again through immigration without boarding their flight.

This makes obvious sense.....

Once I threw away my boarding pass. (2 years ago) and they accepted copy of my e-ticket iteniery. Since that time I put my boarding pass stub in my passport holder behind the plastic window so easy to find and show when going through any official lines.

Sure saves the frantic searches I went through before.

I've had about ~ 70 international arrivals at BKK, including two at the new airport, over the past 8 years, on TG, SQ, LH and UA. I've have never been asked for a boarding card, except at the duty-free (on arrival). The arriving flight information is required on the Arrival Card. Perhaps it is related to the carrier or the nationality of the passport holder?

I think it really depends on the mood of the immigration officer.

Once, when asked I pretented to be shocked and said "but I am arriving, not leaving? So how can I have a boarding pass now when leaving only next month again?"

I’ve got as many arrivals in as you lomatopo

The boarding pass checks on arriving flights that I mentioned only started just over a year ago. As mentioned by others it may depend on the mood of immigration at the time. I don’t think it has to do with nationality as they checked all passengers.

Another thought, the flights I arrived on didn’t terminate in BKK. They continued onto other destinations. Hong Kong, Manila, Heathrow etc. They may have been ensuring only the passengers for Bangkok departed the flight.

I’ve got as many arrivals in as you lomatopo

The boarding pass checks on arriving flights that I mentioned only started just over a year ago. As mentioned by others it may depend on the mood of immigration at the time. I don’t think it has to do with nationality as they checked all passengers.

Another thought, the flights I arrived on didn’t terminate in BKK. They continued onto other destinations. Hong Kong, Manila, Heathrow etc. They may have been ensuring only the passengers for Bangkok departed the flight.

I read this topic with little interest as I dont fly in and out that often, but have to say Farma you have given a reason that I had not thought of..However I was thinking to myself, Where did they think you had come from, since only arrival passengers have access to that side of immigration..

Still I guess someone may be trying a new scheeme of border bouncing..buying a ticket not leaving and trying to re-enter but highly unlikely..Just letting us mere farang know They are in Charge,,

anti-terrorism? keeps someone from checking his bags from Brunei to Frankfurt and hopping off in BKK?

I arrived back on the 14th and was not asked to show my boarding pass ....<maybe because I was joking with the IO about how ugly my passport photo is ... in Thai>

I read this topic with little interest as I dont fly in and out that often, but have to say Farma you have given a reason that I had not thought of..However I was thinking to myself, Where did they think you had come from, since only arrival passengers have access to that side of immigration..

Still I guess someone may be trying a new scheeme of border bouncing..buying a ticket not leaving and trying to re-enter but highly unlikely..Just letting us mere farang know They are in Charge,,

I remember this was being done in DM about a year or so ago. Was a right pain in the beginning but got me into the habit of putting my stub in my wallet with my credit cards. Is actually useful to quick-refer to the flight # when filling out boarding cards, any double-bookings of the seat, or to show (very quickly!) to the attendant if I get selected for an upgrade.

I flew into the new airport on day two and it wasn't asked for. Also those eyeball-shaped digital cameras were gone too, though maybe they just weren't ready yet.

In the old airport I wondered if there wasn't a way to get from departures to arrivals. If so it would have made for an easy visa run- just buy a full-fare international ticket (so it's fully refundable) and hang out in the airport for a day pretending you went somewhere.

Little Black Duck,

I don’t think it was to stop people border bouncing. The checks were on the ramp as you leave the flight and not at immigration. Apart from a flight that originated in Oz the others have come via the Middle East where you get a lot of Asian labourers joining the flight.

Some of these guys have spent up to 3 years away from home, aren’t frequent travellers, and could mistakenly get off at the wrong destination.

The anti-terrorism suggestion could be a reason for the checks too.