Five Chinese injured in speedboat crash off Phuket coast

webfact

Five Chinese injured in speedboat crash off Phuket coast

214-wpcf_728x409.jpg

PHUKET: -- Five Chinese tourists were injured, one seriously, when two speedboats crashed yesterday at a popular holiday atoll, about five kilometres off the Phi Phi island pier in Krabi.

Phuket marine police were alerted to the crash about 6.00 pm after the damaged speedboat Buntita 9 was towed back to Ton Sai pier in Phi Phi island.

All the Chinese tourists were admitted to Phuket hospital, but all were discharged after primary treatment of slight injuries except one for serious pain on the waist.

Driver of the Buntita 9 boat told police that the boat belonged to Insee Marine Co.

He said while he was driving 40 Chinese tourists from Phi Phi Le back to Phuket coast after an outing to an island, another speedboat “Leelu 3” full of foreign tourists on board heading for Maya bay came close and hit at the rear of his boat.

Fortunately no tourists fell off the boat but the impact sent them falling from the deck.

The collision cause a crack on its haul and the boat was taking in water.

He immediately drove the boat back to Phi Phi island.

He also said one passenger on the other speedboat fell off the boat in the crash.

Marine police said they will summon driver of the other boat for questioning to see who was wrong.

This incident will heighten concern about tourists’ safety at sea in Thailand with many Chinese tourists killed and injured in crashes involving speedboats off popular islands of Phuket and Krabi in the past few years.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/148711

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-01-29

No surprise here! Every day I see hundreds of speed boats taking off every 5 minutes from Rawai Beach and over by Laem Ka and it seems they go as fast as they can, to get them out, and rush them back in so they can take care of the hordes of Chinese sitting on busses causing serious congestion on Vichit Rd. Let's hope the Chinese cancel all speed boat activities!

I wonder if any of the "captains" have any sort of license? Or even any sort of rudimentary training???

Yeah, if they are not able to smoke a couple of pipes of amphetamine powder of dubious quality before 9 am, then there is no way their peers will let them captain a prestigious Phi-Phi bound speedboat. No wussy captains on this route.

Centuries of buffalo to high-powered speed boats and massive coaches in one generation.

All being driven by low paid villagers with chips on their shoulder about the World surrounding them.

How very superior of you.

It would seem the low paid villagers are not the only ones about with chips on their shoulders.

Centuries of buffalo to high-powered speed boats and massive coaches in one generation.

All being driven by low paid villagers with chips on their shoulder about the World surrounding them.

How very superior of you.

It would seem the low paid villagers are not the only ones about with chips on their shoulders.

I don't suppose neither one of you live in the area we are talking about. Their are the speed boat guys that have attitudes as their big money family buys them big boats that are made like crap out of marine plywood and a fiberglass coat or two, then put between 2 to 4 Yamaha out board engines on the back... They keep making them bigger! Just to cater to the Chinese tours that are bused in to Rawai to go out to the outer islands and it seems like at least one per week dies! Drowned... So yeah, no concern about safety, just like the bus drivers, all about how much money they can make and who cares about safety? Oh the marine office 5 that approves jet skis, and parasailing off the beach and when someone dies, oh, just an unavoidable accident! They require any foreign owned boat to have a tracking system and emergency transponders, but not Thai boats transporting tourists for hire. The last statement from Thai officials was they want every passenger to have their passport ID page captured on CCTV cameras before they board, so they can track the passengers, in case of accident! I think they have the system back ass wards as usual! Try licensing the "captains" of these boats, and make the safety up to international standards! First class tourists resort, my ass! And I've lived in Rawai for over 10 years.

5 Chinese Tourists Injured in Speedboat Collision

By Chayanit Itthipongmaetee
Staff Reporter

14540612271454061579l.jpg

An officer points out damage Thursday to the rear end of the speedboat Bantita 9.

KRABI — Five Chinese travelers were slightly injured in a speedboat crash yesterday near Krabi’s Koh Phi Phi.

The Bantita 9 was carrying about 40 Chinese tourists from Koh Phi Phi Leh en route to Phuket on Thursday night when it was hit by another speedboat called Leelu 3, 25-year-old boat operator Suwit Saithong told police.

The collision reportedly occurred near Koh Phi Phi Lee, which is about 5 kilometers from Koh Phi Phi pier. The five tourists were sent to Phuket Hospital and have now been released according to Lt. Col. Jetsada Chanpum, a police officer in Krabi province.

No one fell overboard, Jetsada said. The rear of speedboat Bantita 9 was damaged.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1454061227

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2016-01-30

Seems that in December 2015, Chinese consular officials met with the Director of Tourism and Sport for Phuket, Santi Pawai. Just clip and paste in any search engine. The article is most interesting.

.....insane....

Exactly! The mantatlity of the drivers here is at question, then when we look at the big picture it is inground into Thai style driving of anything. Me first look out.

It sounds to me like these two boats may have been playing Chicken or some stupid game.

The mentality issue will never be solved until some bright spark introduces strict regulations and tests for boat drivers, but that will never happen as long as familys run the bussiness and sons and cousins drive.

Im sure as far as other driving on roads goes that Thais do not understand one little bit the Rd rules except for, ME FIRST>

The photo gives an indication of how well these pieces of crap are built....2x1 and thin plywood.......!

I'm glad no one was killed outright. That being said, much here is covered with a thin veneer to give the impression of quality and safety. When one removes the cover plate, wallboard, outer skin, fabric or other glittery and colorful covering, the ugly and unsafe innards are often revealed.

The photo gives an indication of how well these pieces of crap are built....2x1 and thin plywood.......!

I'm glad no one was killed outright. That being said, much here is covered with a thin veneer to give the impression of quality and safety. When one removes the cover plate, wallboard, outer skin, fabric or other glittery and colorful covering, the ugly and unsafe innards are often revealed.

Kind of like the thin plywood hull covered with a bit of fiberglass that is clearly visible in the above photo.

I wonder if any of the "captains" have any sort of license? Or even any sort of rudimentary training???

you mean the same as to obtain a driver license for a car or a scooter (don't need any)?

I got a particular license but not for carrying passengers.....so what are the rules here? Just say: "I can"????

"The Bantita 9 was carrying about 40 Chinese tourists . . "

40 people plus the crew on this little speedboat????? It would be interesting to know for how many people this boat was designed and registered.

That is written on the boat. The number allowed (and registered) is obscured in the photo but seems to be 40, crew is 3.

you mean the same as to obtain a driver license for a car or a scooter (don't need any)?

I got a particular license but not for carrying passengers.....so what are the rules here? Just say: "I can"????

Couldn't find anything in English, but I'm pretty sure to operate a commercial ship, you need a license. Whether they are checked or not is another story!!! LOL

http://bangkok.angloinfo.com/information/lifestyle/sports-and-leisure/sailing/

All boats in Thai waters need to be under the control of a suitably qualified individual, holding a licence for the appropriate size of vessel.

Couldn't find anything in English, but I'm pretty sure to operate a commercial ship, you need a license. Whether they are checked or not is another story!!! LOL

http://bangkok.angloinfo.com/information/lifestyle/sports-and-leisure/sailing/

All boats in Thai waters need to be under the control of a suitably qualified individual, holding a licence for the appropriate size of vessel.

see here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/820073-boat-captain-license/e here

so a 2 days course will do to get a license.......and that is how they drive.

They have a license to print money that's all that matters.