“Explosive” risk of baby-crippling Zika virus spreading says WHO

snoop1130

“Explosive” risk of baby-crippling Zika virus spreading says WHO
By Robert Hackwill

606x341_322682.jpg

The World Health Organisation is sounding the alarm, belatedly say its critics, about what it says is an “explosive” threat of the incurable Zika virus spreading.

No vaccine is on the immediate horizon; trials for two promising drugs may begin in early 2017. Until then it is free to wreck infant lives unless the mosquito that spreads it is checked.

“Last year the virus was detected in the Americas, where it is now spreading explosively. As of today cases have been reported in 23 countries and territories in the region. The level of alarm is extremely high,” said the WHO’s Director-General Margaret Chan.

The Aedes aegypti mosquito carries the virus, and there have been calls for its eradication as the only long-term solution. The Zika virus is believed to be behind a spike in babies born with smaller heads and brains.

“From what we know of microcephaly in different situations, it is a very serious condition. We know that over 90 percent of these children will have motor and mental disabilities,” said Brazilian gynecologist Adriana Scavuzzi.

The first three months of pregnancy are believed to be the most dangerous, but travel to the at-risk regions is being discouraged, tempered with the warning El Nino’s disrupted weather patterns may allow the mosquito to travel to new areas.

Source: http://www.euronews.com/2016/01/29/explosive-risk-of-baby-crippling-zika-virus-spreading-says-who/

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2016-01-29

NEW NATURAL METHOD FOR MOSQUITO CONTROL ; OBSERVATIONS

I am currently based on an Oil Palm plantation, in a Peat Soil area. The plantation is well drained with a network of shallow ditches, which contain water most of the time. My first impression was that this is a perfect breeding ground for mosquitoes

To my surprise, the mosquito population here is well below average, and I have found ZERO mosquito larvae in the ditches

There are two possible natural mechanisms at work here

1/The drainage water contain varying levels of tannins which have a sharp odour. These tannins may be repelling the mosquitoes, or disrupting larvae development.

2/Most Peat Soils are acidic, with typical pH values of 4.0 to 5.0 which could also affect larval development.

It is also possible that these mechanisms are working together synergistically with enhanced effect.

This could be developed into a very effective, non-toxic control method in urban centres

Research is clearly justified.

I can be contacted at www.farmerjoe.asia .