Anything I can do about?

TheCruncher

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thais, Laotians and Cambodians are all similar in the fact that whatever they event, ,marriage, funeral, they have to have it LOUD.

I would like to ask you, have you ever been to a Cambodian wedding?? Then you know what loud and din is!!!! and it goes on for days and days depending on how rich the bride and groom's family are, depends on the length of the celebration.

I got invites from the local Toyota dealer as a ' special promotion for good customers ' I foolishly rolled up there expecting a nice finger buffet and a civilised look at new cars and pick ups. I arrived to " balloon heaven " and tables all the way up the entrance , a sound system that Phil Collins would have been proud of, skimpy dancers and watered down orange juice with food, the likes of which, that I won't even go into.

It turned out it was a party based on good sales by the staff and we were invited as we had assisted them in achieving this by buying a bloody car! The same as the local computer shop or ' Advice centre ' as they are calling them. Invited down for a computer promotion, to a stage, same skimpy girls, sound system for U2 and no promotion on computers, they were celebrating joining the ' Advice centre ' franchise and we were there to make up numbers.

Nothing you can do about the noise, either go to a hotel for a couple of stress free days and chill.

If you attempted to complain you would get nowhere, be classed as a ' grump ' and probably end up with a good chorus of ' go home if you don't like it ' You can't go to the police, they will be there and so will any official of any consequence.

In Cambodia when you apply for permanent residency / citizenship you have a test, well there are quite a few requirements but one is, to say you fully understand the traditions and cultures of Cambodia and are willing and prepared to learn, join and embrace them!

I like the 'skimpy girls' bit.

dont worry it will happen every year for the next 5 years

so mark the time on your calendar go buy some ear plugs

i know i lost my Thai wife 2 years ago and my bother in laws wife 5 years ago

family meets every year to party burp.gifburp.gif good times had

3 days is the norm, same as a house blessing.

Isn't there a law against this?

I respect their grieves but they should also respect other people in my opinion.

They have a big party tent overthere, but I can not believe that anyone can last longer than 5 minutes at that place without serious hearing damages.

Let it go, it will only cause you more grief to even think about it. Try to enjoy the music. Nice garden btw

Isn't there a law against this?

I respect their grieves but they should also respect other people in my opinion.

They have a big party tent overthere, but I can not believe that anyone can last longer than 5 minutes at that place without serious hearing damages.

Believe it they can endure it, I once had to go to my Wifes Mothers party and the bass was so bad it just went right thru your chest.

Best thing you can do if you want to live here is get your Wife to buy a BIG piece of land with no neighbours, this is the only safe-ish way even then the stupid sound systems which some find "incredible" can be felt miles away and even though I have no neighbours and double block walls I still get thud thud thud somedays....................oh yes you'll be classed as grumpy but its better than being a stupid deaf <deleted> retard

5.30am I was lifted out of my bed when they fired up the speakers again. Another day to endure.

All as you are doing is working yourself up into a temper, you cannot change what is happening. Get in your car and go out!

You cannot talk about ' laws against this and that ' in these situations of family grief. You will end up in a nasty situation. A lot of people forget the very reasons they moved here such as freedoms, low levels of interference from government busy bodies, being able to do as you please within reason and, to be fair, a lack of rules and regulations. You are now wanting to bring in the equivalent of ' noise abatement society ' , It's not going to wash!

A poster mentions they didn't have the electric for speakers and amplifiers years ago, I agree, but they =got together and had their instruments and bongos and white whisky, you can't change them!!!

I have my own land and walls around it with no neighbours but noise still travels through from the village on any celebration and neighbours up to 0.5 km away can be heard clearly when they have a celebration. Turn your TV up or put in earplugs or go out!...............you are heading towards a stressful day otherwise.

Edited by Scouse123

It makes you wonder how the Thais survived so many centuries without amplification and loudspeakers. When I first arrived in Thailand 32 years ago most villages had no electricity and therefore no electrical appliances. They must have been very unhappy inside to be unable to make a lot of noise.It often seems that such appliances that they now own only have two control settings ......Off and Full On.

Edited by Denim

Wow ! All these people talking about Thailand and Thai culture, yet it is actually a Buddhist ceremony, not a Thai one !

Do not confuse nationality with religion.

:-)

and Therevada Buddhism is embedded in Thai culture.

If the OP wants to live the European life over here, he should not have moved or built his house amongst the Thais or moved into an ex-pats development on an estate far away from Thais where they sweep the roads daily, ensure the rubbish is collected and you get a free salute from the security guard.

However, make sure it's not a British estate, they love noise at Xmas and New Year, the Australians? Well, they are no better as they like their Australia days as well as Xmas and New Year, don't forget Paddy's day with the Irish and the ' wake ' that follows a death..............

We all get frustrated at times but I certainly try to to allow things that I have no control over upset me. The post from the OP, you can almost feel, he hardly slept in anticipation of the noise this morning! You need a hobby or interest to keep you busy elsewhere.

Your garden looks nice though.

Edited by Scouse123

The strange thing is that with the actual funeral they had a party for a week, but not 1 note of music was played during that week.

Seems as if they now want to catch up with that.

This party is to celebrate their new wealth thanks to the dear departed guitar.gifintheclub.gif

Typical case of Somnamnaa, like 99.99 percent of all the complaining an moaning on this and other forums.I live already 8 years in an 99,99 percent Thai Community, I never experienced the things as described by the OP and others. And no, I don't life in gated community. Some people here wrote that Thai people don't know the meaning of respect. Well before people respect you, you must earn it.

So howcome I don't experience such things

Wel I did make a survey of the neighbourhood were I was going to live. I did not moved to some Village upcountry. Certainly not to Isan, were this kind of practisses is a part of Daily life. And I did not buy or build a house or appartement . I rent, because its very easy to relocate if I'm not langer happy at the place were I live. I married 2 times a Thai lady, my first wife for 32 years, after she passed away again with another Thai lady for almost 6 years now. I have now 2 wonderfull Thai families, who never asked me for anything. Howcome? wel I followed the advise of my father. If you love a girl and like to spend the rest of your life with her, look how her mother ttreats her husband and hiw she behaves, because she will be the same later in life.

BTW, no one invited you here ,and nobody is forcing you to live were you are living now, If things are THAT bad relocate in or outside Thailand.

At last something to think about.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choice, because the choices you make today will determine what you will be, do and have in the tomorrow's of your life

Glad I don't stay close to you Tywais, our house blessing a couple weeks back just before I left for work started when the monks arrived just after 0930 on the Friday, relatives and friends started to arrive about an hour and a half before that,,,, all done and dusted by 2pm with still time for us to relax on the Friday afternoon, thankfully though no eardrum breaking music at ours, now back to the peace and quiet of the countryside

Weddings, funerals, ordination ceremonies. Kind of the holy trinity of social events. If you've got the moxie to tell someone to turn down the music at one of these events, especially a funeral, you've got bigger balls than me.

The larger issue is day-in day-out cranking up the stereo with no regard for the neighbors. If that's a problem, I say it's time to talk to the neighbors. Not overbearing or threatening. If they become more considerate, show your appreciation with a small gift. Word will get around. Many people are unaware that playing loud music isn't always appreciated by neighbors. It takes time to build awareness.

I am not of the "suffer in silence" school of thought.

The strange thing is that with the actual funeral they had a party for a week, but not 1 note of music was played during that week.

Seems as if they now want to catch up with that.

This party is to celebrate their new wealth thanks to the dear departed guitar.gifintheclub.gif

and watch them all fight over it , hilarious

Weddings, funerals, ordination ceremonies. Kind of the holy trinity of social events. If you've got the moxie to tell someone to turn down the music at one of these events, especially a funeral, you've got bigger balls than me.

The larger issue is day-in day-out cranking up the stereo with no regard for the neighbors. If that's a problem, I say it's time to talk to the neighbors. Not overbearing or threatening. If they become more considerate, show your appreciation with a small gift. Word will get around. Many people are unaware that playing loud music isn't always appreciated by neighbors. It takes time to build awareness.

I am not of the "suffer in silence" school of thought.

I have nothing against my neighbors cranking up their stereo as I will not hear it anymore once I open my stereo.

But if you look at that sound system in the video, that looks to me as 12 of those horn type speakers, and to fade that noise I would have to crank up my own stereo to a level that it will cause me hearing loss.

By the way, the party ended at 1 pm today.thumbsup.gif

Edited by TheCruncher

One day i visited a 100 day ceremony like that upcountry, family of my wife.

There were huge huge speakers placed with the same very loud music. After the monks were gone they opened the whisky, played cards, turned on the bbq and they had some delicious facepalm.gif fieldmouses for me.....kin kao mai? No thanks....wai2.gif

The whole neighbourhood was there included a man with downsyndrome. He always carried a very pointed stick with him which was his biggest friend it seemed. Nobody spoke to him but he liked to take my drinkingwater all the time so i had to ask for a new one.

Nobody except my wife could speak english so i just sit there waiting to go home.....