Digital TV by indoor antenna - will it work?

roberta

I am considering buying a digital TV. The only cable system in my building is useless, and I cancelled it soon after I moved in. I then got rid of the TV too as it was a massive thing with a glass tube inside. I see many people on the other side of the building have those red dishes from True on their balconies, but on my side nobody does. From the way they all point I can see that they would not work for me as the view of the satellite would be blocked by the building. So if I can't get cable worth having, or satellite, that leaves only digital.

Someone I know tells me that she has a digital TV and an indoor digital antenna, and the signal is adequate. I cannot install an external (rooftop) antenna as the roof is 9 stories above me, so if I buy a TV and indoor antenna and find that it does not work then I shall have wasted all the money, as I have no other way to get a signal. Is there any way to test the signal strength here before buying a TV? What is the best kind of indoor digital antenna?

Another question - what could I get for free on digital TV? I like movies and drama series, in English of course.

I would not recommend using an indoor antenna to receive the digital channels. In most cases the reception will be poor or not able to receive at all.

You could try buying an outdoor antenna and installing to the front of your building next to your window. Besides that I can`t think of anything.

Your cheapest alternative...depending on the speed of your internet connection...would be to hook up your laptop to the TV and use a website/app called Filmon.tv which will give you access to all the UK channels, and many others from around the world.

Movies can either be streamed, or done by subscription through Netflix....

The free to air digital TV does not carry any English programming.

So this "I like movies and drama series, in English of course." is not going to happen.

Decent internet and one of the streaming services or torrents is going to be your saviour.

I live on Sathorn and my Digital Thai TV reception is perfect with an indoor Samart D1A antenna. 490 Baht at Homepro. Digital TV is for Thailand transmission channels. The red antenna you saw is from True Vision transmission of pay TV.

Edited by yimlitnoy

yes, digital terrestrial TV in Bangkok works with an indoor antenna - I have 2 setups like this at home. However there's not much in English - there are occasionally dual language films/sports etc (select V/O sound track) - eg Thai Channel 7 has the FA Cup (Liverpool v West Ham tonight) and they have the English commentary on the 2nd audio channel - and it's in HD too - picture looks good. PPTV also sometimes have Premier League coverage live in HD (from CTH) with English commentary too.

Before I did anything I would give True a call.

I lived in a building once like you. I saw all those Red Dished on the other roof and thought they all belonged to someone else to. I got the required permission from the Land Lord and called True.

I soon saw one of the workers playing around on the other roof and with one of those dishes and within a hour I had Satellite TV. I am not sure if they share these dishes but they also didn't have to run any new cable and plugged into the normal Cable Outlet behind the TV. So I would let the Experts figure it out for you as the Installers were quite good for me on couple of occasions.

Your cheapest alternative...depending on the speed of your internet connection...would be to hook up your laptop to the TV and use a website/app called Filmon.tv which will give you access to all the UK channels, and many others from around the world.

Movies can either be streamed, or done by subscription through Netflix....

Or use an android box/ Expat TV etc.

I have True internet and to reach Filmon.TV I need to go via a VPN.

Another program called Kodi with Sportsdevil will access a lot of TV... but all depends on a good internet connection of over 2 Mb/s to international servers. (Some of the monthly ones like Expat TV go via a Bangkok server which likely has better speed.).

Satellite TV surely is becoming a thing of the past.

Edited by jacko45k

Anyone know why Thailand does not have any English channels? I dont mean the odd small program in English but a full English language channel showing News, Movies, sit-com's etc. Even Saudi Arabia which only has couple of channels has one that is 100% English speaking

Anyone know why Thailand does not have any English channels? I dont mean the odd small program in English but a full English language channel showing News, Movies, sit-com's etc. Even Saudi Arabia which only has couple of channels has one that is 100% English speaking

Probably the same reason the UK doesn't have a dedicated Thai language channel I suspect.

Probably the same reason the UK doesn't have a dedicated Thai language channel I suspect.

There are considerably more English speakers in Thailand than there are Thai speakers in the UK. In actual fact you can get Thai channels in the UK.

There are considerably more English speakers in Thailand than there are Thai speakers in the UK. In actual fact you can get Thai channels in the UK.
Not on free to air TV you can't.

That's like me saying I can get UK tv in my home here.

post-118612-14542102867648_thumb.jpg

Edited by stoneyboy

I saw a TV at the Mall the other day which was called a "smart" TV and had wi-fi and an Android operating system all built in. It was really expensive, but would presumably allow me to watch internet channels without any additional box. If that is the case it might be worth it. I don't think an antenna will work here. If the transmitters are anywhere near central Bangkok, there are two large buildings blocking the line of sight. I might get some signal, but it would probably be weak. Anyway, Thai TV channels are of no use to me.

My internet download speed is about 2 mb/s, and I can watch streaming HD video (Sky News, the only thing I can find which works) on my laptop. If I bought a smart TV, or an Android box as recommended, what kind of programming, apart from Sky News, could I receive without having to pay anything?

I saw a TV at the Mall the other day which was called a "smart" TV and had wi-fi and an Android operating system all built in. It was really expensive, but would presumably allow me to watch internet channels without any additional box. If that is the case it might be worth it. I don't think an antenna will work here. If the transmitters are anywhere near central Bangkok, there are two large buildings blocking the line of sight. I might get some signal, but it would probably be weak. Anyway, Thai TV channels are of no use to me.

My internet download speed is about 2 mb/s, and I can watch streaming HD video (Sky News, the only thing I can find which works) on my laptop. If I bought a smart TV, or an Android box as recommended, what kind of programming, apart from Sky News, could I receive without having to pay anything?

It is getting more and more difficult to buy anything but a smart TV. That said, they do not pick up the Internet on their own, it must come via wifi or hard wire from which ever company you engage to provide your internet services. And even then the TVs do not magically provide you with a multitude of channels etc. It would again be your choice on what services you bought, borrowed or stole.