Gridlock !

PostmanPat

Often when there's a traffic jam there's a clear reason. For example this morning the old town area around Ratchamankha was extremely jammed: there was some multi-school competition going on and for some reason they picked the school downtown there to do it. So at 8:30am that whole area was jammed. That's just the way it is.. (yes they could have planned it at one of the bigger schools on the outskirts.)

Another thing that causes it is major religious events or temple festivals at one of the bigger old town temples.

And of course the Sunday Walking Street but people got used to that one.

So it's nice to just park somewhere and walk. Really, REALLY nice to do that, just taking the old town sois. I don't do it enough but it's great every time.

post-64232-0-95008000-1454232003_thumb.j

post-64232-0-88978800-1454232012_thumb.j

post-64232-0-43019500-1454232023_thumb.j

post-64232-0-46169600-1454232030_thumb.j

post-64232-0-32370700-1454232276_thumb.j

post-64232-0-53433500-1454232041_thumb.j

post-64232-0-01512400-1454232049_thumb.j

post-64232-0-14798100-1454232225_thumb.j

post-64232-0-83466700-1454232231_thumb.j

Why is any of this relevant...: I think it's relevant because when it comes to Chiang Mai traffic, my biggest concern is the old town area. I don't really care how gridlocked it is at Nimman or Meechoke Plaza or the Hang Dong Road even though I do live in that direction. The old town, the big market/Kad Luang and Riverside area is what makes Chiang Mai Chiang Mai. The other parts could be anywhere.

So I share the concern in the original post specifically when it comes to the moat and the old town area. It's crucial that this remains accessible and not overly congested.

However I disagree with posters who write that nothing is ever done and nobody in politics is competent or cares. This is objectively not true:

* High-rise building in the old town is banned. This single one truly saved Chiang Mai's life, because otherwise there would be crazy high-rise condos right down town. Dodged a HUGE bullet with that one.

* Ring roads: channels businesses and schools away from the downtown area. So this goes along with the first one: when you ban 'big' development downtown, then at the same time you make sure there is an alternative. This exists with all the space in the outskirts, made accessible through ring roads with tunnels and flyovers.

* I see the beginnings of regulations as to styles and colors of buildings. There is a push to limit colors of buildings to natural ones (white, cream, brown, etc.) and to prohibit painting something bright green or pink. (Some buildings around in those colors.. :/ )

* I DONT see the beginnings at a political level to do something against crazy billboards and signs, but I do see this among concerned citizens/residents. Let's hope this one picks up steam.

* And then public transport remains largely stuck on drawing boards, studies that cost ridiculous money and 'pie in the sky' kind of proposals. On the other hand, there are now the regular numbered Songthaew routes with GPS and an app to go with it. While that's not a huge success I think, it's a sign of the powers that be trying something sensible and feasible.

In summary it's a little cheap to say that politicians never do anything, that's just not the case. And some seriously crucial things happened to preserve the areas that truly matter from a social, cultural and tourism perspective.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope. I just see how angry you get when just hearing about such information, and extrapolate.

Seems pretty obvious, though. Car drivers are angry with the situation. Motorcycle riders are not. You do the math. smile.png

Ah, another poster who believes their self-aggrandising observations trump reality.

I don't suppose it has occurred to you motorcycle riders have their own stress levels, with the constant threat of being knocked off their vehicles by larger vehicles.

Your initial post is a hypothesis or opinion, with no facts to back it up.

The statement "Nobody gets out alive" is a feat of fatuity.

Angry? No. Just unwilling to suffer fools gladly.

If you say so. smile.png

To me, it sounds rather like anger.

Wow. That's a riposte for the ages.

Here's what I'm waiting for: "I hate motorcycles and it's all their fault!!!"

As soon as I hit Chiang Mai in my car, I switch over to my motor cycle and don't look back. What idiot would purposesly ride a car in downtown Chiang Mai.

Well, the only ones who understand that is fellow MC riders. Car drivers? Enjoy you traffic jams.

the idiots in cars who turn into Ratchapakhinai Road at about 6 PM on a Sunday night (with the night market just starting) when they must know full well at the end of the road it's going to be total pandemonium with other drivers having done the very same thing and everyone is trying to reverse outgiggle.gif

Wish they'd get a move on with widening the outer ring road, so they can get started on the next one....

" They paved paradise

And put up a parking lot "sad.png

The outer ring road desperately needs widening. That's a fact. Unfortunately, the reality is they will then continue expanding the ring roads, opening up more land to convert to housing estates sad.png

And then the mountains will be built upon.......

Give them some credit, they are not too bad. What will hold the opening back will however be that f*cking big tree in the middle of the road at Saraphi junction. Was told it's holy or some BS like that smile.png

Edited by MadMac

Here's what I'm waiting for: "I hate motorcycles and it's all their fault!!!"

As soon as I hit Chiang Mai in my car, I switch over to my motor cycle and don't look back. What idiot would purposesly ride a car in downtown Chiang Mai.

Well, the only ones who understand that is fellow MC riders. Car drivers? Enjoy you traffic jams.

There are people who do not wish to die or get seriously hurt in a traffic accident and these people do not ride motorcycles but drive cars instead. They are not idiots. They are smart and injury-free.

Smart car drivers, good example of an oxymoron.

Give them some credit, they are not too bad. What will hold the opening back will however be that f*cking big tree in the middle of the road at Saraphi junction. Was told it's holy or some BS like that smile.png

Well, all of those on the old Lamphun road are protected.

Speaking of holy, there's this old ruin site that will cause a bit of a bend just before the flyover over the Superhighway #11. That's actually a site they'll build around instead of just clearing the ancient rubble. ;)

Off Topic

Try a cycle on the MTB track from behind 700 year stadium to Huay Tung Tao.

Huge development in the mountains ...... track completely blocked.

Apartments, houses, roads ......

All on National Park Land.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

Off Topic

Try a cycle on the MTB track from behind 700 year stadium to Huay Tung Tao.

Huge development in the mountains ...... track completely blocked.

Apartments, houses, roads ......

All on National Park Land.

Which road would it be accessed from? Does it have a name?

No time to read all the replies on this thread but will say that CM is not alone in Gridlock. Try any Asian city and probably will see much of the same traffic patterns, or traffic chaos.

why? Some chap in India said it best 'uncontrolled, unrestricted urban vehicularization' . Or simply put, too damn many vehicles on the roads without restraint of any kind. And on roads made for donkeys or pedal bikes, NOT giant pick-up trucks (a pet peeve). As jobs in the countryside dry up. folks naturally move to the nearest big town and that is CM in North Thailand. One merit of CM over the Beijing, for example, is at least the weather is warm enough year round to enjoy the wait in traffic till your green light pops.

So until the population pressure, or food demands, sends folks back to the countryside expect the Gridlock to increase. You could pray for much higher oil prices coz petrol at 100 baht per liter might keep some traffic off the roads.

jBottom line: Gridlock is inevitable and growing, so learn to accept and adjust. We farangs are only inmates in this pleasant prison yard and have no voice in the operations.

And on roads made for donkeys or pedal bikes, NOT giant pick-up trucks (a pet peeve).

Thailand doesn't have giant pick-up trucks. (Or full size, as they're more typically known.)

I'd struggle to get this baby through Loy Kroh Soi 1.

2015-Chevrolet-Silverado-3500HD-008.jpg

No issue though with a compact Japanese designed truck.

They are actively working on that. South side. Maybe 6 more months until it's ready.

I'm fully aware of that, but they need to speed it up.

Why actually? What's the rush? The Middle Ring is filling up, that's true, but if the Outer Ring is upgraded in a year or two then that'll be just fine.

Why actually? What's the rush? The Middle Ring is filling up, that's true, but if the Outer Ring is upgraded in a year or two then that'll be just fine.

There is actually a lot of construction activity going on when you look around, Superhighway and Outer Ring were already mentioned. They also just did a Canal Rd. makeover towards Hang Dong/San Patong. Then repairs at numerous flyovers on the Middle Ring. Then the new underpass at the 107 towards Mae Rim....

They are actively working on that. South side. Maybe 6 more months until it's ready.

I'm fully aware of that, but they need to speed it up.

Because, I use it a lot, & it's a PITA crawling long behind slow traffic. A lot of traffic use it.

And don't forget, folks, it's flower festival, this coming weekend. Expect more traffic chaos laugh.png

And Chinese New Year!! Pandemonium, methinks.

AND the Super Bowl. Oh my!

It's a perfect storm of flowers, chili and noodles.

I for one am going to sit at home with some books and DVDs. (Or was that Songkran.. oh wait..)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai