57 year Old Briton Falls to His Death from Bangkok Apartment

rooster59

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Rummaging" is at least a common American word for going through odds and ends looking for something. You might have a rummage sale which would be selling odds and ends from around the place. You might rummage through your closet looking for something. I don't know where the word came from other than apparently an American?

RIP. There are too many.

It's actually an English word, rather than uniquely American. Brought into common usage, as with so many English words through the pervasive influence of the Royal Navy, as the first meaning of 'to rummage' is to arrange goods or cargo in a ship's hold. It then became popular to use the word to describe the searching of a boarded vessel for contraband. Thence it developed its current popular meaning of to search carelessly.

Pedantic rant over!

It absolutely amazes me how people can instantly summise as to what occurred! We know nothing other than he went over the edge, yet immediately the BIB slurs come out! Unbelievable stuff!!! The first three comments clearly show this.

What a negative bunch you guys are and yes, I can take all the replies! lol

Have a nice day.

It's kind of like; What the ef? Another foreigner who killed himself? Eh? How can anyone kill themselves here? It's such a fun place. so, there must be foul play involved and often there is of course and it gets swept under the carpet so it's only normal that other foreigners are 'concerned' and state this on the forum. It's called sarcastic humor and yes, there is some negativity attached to it. There is also some curiosity there. It's human nature. That you judge it so easily is also a form of negativity

Edited by DaveinAsia

It absolutely amazes me how people can instantly summise as to what occurred! We know nothing other than he went over the edge, yet immediately the BIB slurs come out! Unbelievable stuff!!! The first three comments clearly show this.

Have a nice day.

Are simply not capable of joining the dots Geronimo and working out why countless visitors come all this way to commit suicide!?

Have a nice day.

Are simply not capable of joining the dots Geronimo and working out why countless visitors come all this way to commit suicide!?

Should read are you .... I cannot understand hoiw people can be in Thailand and not understand this is the suicide capital of the world specially on Koh Tao Island.

Judging by the height of balconies in most hotels/apps, I would suggest keeping well away from them if any alcohol is involved, I just wonder how many are suicides and how many purely accidental, there are never follow up reports after the initial report giving any further info

Sadly accidents do happen, and as Thailand is officially pressing ahead to become the Hub of all Accidents it is only natural that the more educated members of TV suspect something fishy.

wai2.gif

'More educated members of TV'

Sorry, but I do not see what part your education plays when you reach whatever assumption you do as to what happened.

We both know and understand that the safety regulation between Western architecture and construction is years ahead in the terms of safety as compared to Thailand. High railings, double railings with with monitored buffer-zones at the building edges (meaning you have to climb to jump), windows that don't fully open to allow a full-grown body the ability to squeeze through the hole, enclosed balconies. It' not impossible to jump from a western constructed building, but you've got to work at it. Here in the LOS, one slip on slick cement, a bump into a top railing that is below your center-of-gravity, and welcome to the Thailand Flying Club. How many are suicides and how many are accidents, and how many are murders - it ain't that hard to push a bloke over a low railing on a high-rise building.

BANGKOK – A former British MBA lecturer fell to his death from his Bangkok apartment yesterday, following a report at 10.30am, by the apartment manager.

The one word "former" British MBA lecturer raises some questions. What did he do for a living before his death? I doubt that he had his retirement money coming in in the age of 57?

What if he really committed suicide, because too many things happened at the same time?

It's sad that too many "assume" that he got killed. What about the lecturer at Rajabhat Ubon R. who wrote a note in his fb page: "See Ya". then hang himself?

How much do people know about the circumstances he was in? Rest in peace, whatever went wrong.

Sadly accidents do happen, and as Thailand is officially pressing ahead to become the Hub of all Accidents it is only natural that the more educated members of TV suspect something fishy.

wai2.gif

'More educated members of TV'

Sorry, but I do not see what part your education plays when you reach whatever assumption you do as to what happened.

We both know and understand that the safety regulation between Western architecture and construction is years ahead in the terms of safety as compared to Thailand. High railings, double railings with with monitored buffer-zones at the building edges (meaning you have to climb to jump), windows that don't fully open to allow a full-grown body the ability to squeeze through the hole, enclosed balconies. It' not impossible to jump from a western constructed building, but you've got to work at it. Here in the LOS, one slip on slick cement, a bump into a top railing that is below your center-of-gravity, and welcome to the Thailand Flying Club. How many are suicides and how many are accidents,

and how many are murders - it ain't that hard to push a bloke over a low railing on a high-rise building.

Still don't get your point of 'more educated members of TV'.

Thailand will soon have the title of suicide capitol of the world.

Nearly every day another suicide reported !!!!

No signs of a struggle. You will not find any sign if you do not look for 1.

Only a farang. case closed.

ehhhh ....... are there any interesting things you can complain about where you are living ?

Have a nice day.

It`s not being negative, it`s called having lack of confidence in the police here. Too many Farlang deaths have either been concluded as suicides or accidental with no in-death investigations or just written off as don`t knows. There are so many cold cases regarding Farlang deaths in Thailand that the police freezers are full to the brim with them.

Have a nice day.

I totally agree. But Thailand attracts all manner of folk....and quite a number seem to have escaped something back home...broken marriages, depression, debt, the judicial system etc...the suicide rate is sadly predictable, given the lack of support to those in crises makes the situation much worse. Unfortunately police tend to but farang deaths like this under the carpet, despite some of the nefarious situations some of them find themselves in.

If you go on the threads of any news in Europe, Australia and the US, you'll see an equally miserable lot of trolls. I think it's more a case of these miserable a-holes gravitating to the Web to vent their spleens because of their miserable lives.

According to World Health Org., Thailand's suicide rate is tied at 56th place worldwide with Cuba, behind such "advanced" societies as S. Korea (#2), Russia (#14), Poland (24), Finland (33), Belgium (34) France (47) and USA (50)

"Rummaging" is at least a common American word for going through odds and ends looking for something. You might have a rummage sale which would be selling odds and ends from around the place. You might rummage through your closet looking for something. I don't know where the word came from other than apparently an American?

RIP. There are too many.

It's actually an English word, rather than uniquely American. Brought into common usage, as with so many English words through the pervasive influence of the Royal Navy, as the first meaning of 'to rummage' is to arrange goods or cargo in a ship's hold. It then became popular to use the word to describe the searching of a boarded vessel for contraband. Thence it developed its current popular meaning of to search carelessly.

Pedantic rant over!

It is not, strictly speaking, an English word (in the way that plain, simple, basic words like 'pig', 'cow', and 'sheep' are English) either, but is one of those posh sounding immigrants! According to the online OED, the word 'rummage' has been traced back to the late 15th century, and is from old French/Middle Dutch.

Edited by silver sea

RIP. There are too many.

From the Online Etymology Dictionary:

rummage (v.) dictionary.gif 1540s, "arrange (cargo) in a ship," from rummage (n.), 1520s, "act of arranging cargo in a ship," a shortening of Middle French arrumage "arrangement of cargo," from arrumer "to stow goods in the hold of a ship," from a- "to" + rumer, probably from Germanic (compare Old Norse rum "compartment in a ship," Old High German rum "space," Old English rum; see room (n.)). Or else from English room (n.) + -age.

Meaning "to search closely (the hold of a ship), especially by moving things about" first recorded 1610s. Related: Rummaged; rummaging. Rummage sale(1803) originally was a sale at docks of unclaimed goods. There are lots of English words originating from both sides of the Atlantic that are (1) ignored by one side); (2) adopted by both sides or even (3) ignored by both sides. Same goes with colloquialisms, figures of speech and plain old slang.

Thailand will soon have the title of suicide capitol of the world.

Nearly every day another suicide reported !!!!

No signs of a struggle. You will not find any sign if you do not look for 1.

Only a farang. case closed.

Another ignorant comment. You make definitive statements without knowing any of the facts.

Try this one on then: Older Caucasian males commit suicide at the highest rate of any population group.

What age group is concentrated in Thailand? If the majority of people are from the at risk group, the suicide rate will reflect that.

I will make it even more clear for you. The old white folks with no money and chronic health issues such as heart disease, alcoholism, respiratory disease etc. are most likely to suicide.

Your post seems to be "jumping" to conclusions much more than the one you are attacking. Even this death does not seem to fit your criteria of an elderly white male. He was 57 years old and quite possibly still working with a good income. What makes me think this was not suicide is why would a person with even half a brain CHOOSE to jump from just the 6 th floor? I have even read on this forum of people jumping from 10 floors up ( and possibly more) surviving. There is absolultely no mention of the police checking CCTV cameras the previous day or so to see who entered and exited the condo. Why would a case where someone was looking off a balcony and was quickly pushed by someone else show any signs of a struggle??

According to World Health Org., Thailand's suicide rate is tied at 56th place worldwide with Cuba, behind such "advanced" societies as S. Korea (#2), Russia (#14), Poland (24), Finland (33), Belgium (34) France (47) and USA (50)

I think a much more interesting and on topic statistic if it were available would be: what are the rates of suicide by jumping off buildings in different countries in the world? Thailand must be near the top if that statistic were available. In places like Cuba, Russia, Belgium and USA people kill themselves with a gun often.