Don't go to Kad Farang today

Thailand

Had a quick look around today whilst visiting Rimping. Honestly, theres absolutely nothing in any of the shops thats any different from the prices you get in places like Airport Plaza & Kad Suan Kaew, basically just normal full price stuff which is already overpriced then offered with a "30%" type discount. Waste of time.

The Nike store had a decent range of shoes but i certainly wouldnt hurry back. Another shopping experience where im left wondering where all the money comes from. The majority of Thais can't afford the 'brand names' (note the lack of shopping bags in hand) and walk around aimlessly taking selfies in the unremarkable arcades, the chinese were nowhere to be seen and i could count the farang with my right hand.

The Nike store had a decent range of shoes but i certainly wouldnt hurry back. Another shopping experience where im left wondering where all the money comes from. The majority of Thais can't afford the 'brand names' (note the lack of shopping bags in hand) and walk around aimlessly taking selfies in the unremarkable arcades, the chinese were nowhere to be seen and i could count the farang with my right hand.

I agree. Trouble is, I like using the Rimping at Kad Farang, but you can bet your bottom dollar that weekends especially, there wont be a parking space to be had as local people wander aimlessly around what is a pretty soulless shopping experience buying next to nothing.

It should be noted that outlet malls in UK and USA are outlets for factory products thus bypassing retail prices, whereas this outlet mall is simply an outlet for full retail priced goods therefore hardly any cheaper than the main malls in Chiang Mai where at least you get free air conditioning!

It's new and the Chinese invasion is yet to happen as they have to arrange the commissions for the tour groups, Chinese New Year will probably be the start.

I doubt many of those stores will be open in a few months unless there is a major player behind this with with unlimited funds -G4T perhaps? 1512040.gif

I heard there was a golf shop there. Any confirmation?

Yes, but NOT outlet prices! Plenty of brand names.

I asked one of the staff if they had Pro Kennex as have a couple of woods I like, blank looks, then found I was standing next to them!

Sportsworld, when they have them are much cheaper.

Cheers, I'll have a look anyway but remain pessimistic. Sportsworld do tend be the more economical of the golf shops in town, even cheaper (after the salesman offers a discount) than the small privately owned shops across the road from Lanna.