Future Expats in Myanmar?

321Rich

With Aung San Suu Kyi’s political party apparently planning to share leadership with the military in Myanmar soon, how about dusting off your crystal ball and predicting what the expat community might look like there in say 5 or 10 years? Bangkok Bank already has commercial banking established in Myanmar.

Given the eye-watering expense of renting a decent place in Yangon (which is about the only livable city in Myanmar for the moment)... it seems highly unlikely that there will be droves of low rent expats from Thailand rushing to live there. And in fairness even if housing was cheap; why would you want to? Burma needs another 20 years worth of infrastructure development to be worth living in. Nice place to visit, very unlikely (unless you're on a very good salary - and I turned down a senior management role for a telco there because salaries are pretty poor compared to other international markets, so don't hold your breath for this) to be a hot spot to live in.

Given the eye-watering expense of renting a decent place in Yangon (which is about the only livable city in Myanmar for the moment)... it seems highly unlikely that there will be droves of low rent expats from Thailand rushing to live there. And in fairness even if housing was cheap; why would you want to? Burma needs another 20 years worth of infrastructure development to be worth living in. Nice place to visit, very unlikely (unless you're on a very good salary - and I turned down a senior management role for a telco there because salaries are pretty poor compared to other international markets, so don't hold your breath for this) to be a hot spot to live in.

And in twenty years the expats will be lamenting about the good old days of twenty years yore.

And in twenty years the expats will be lamenting about the good old days of twenty years yore.

Aint that the truth. A lot of people seem to have forgotten what they went without in Thailand in the 1980s and 90s.

I'm living in Myanmar now, after 20 years in Thailand. Not in Yangon, but on the resort area. Living is CHEAP (I've got a free housing) because there is very little to buy. Occasional shopping for clothes and other necessities must be done in Bangkok. Cannot get ready-made pants, shirts, razor blades etc. Not even in Yangon. And I don't wear Longyi.

People like in Thailand 20 years ago, the smile is genuine...

Salaries for expats lower than in Thailand, but Visas and WPs easier to get. Corruption is bad.

All in all, quality of life (unless you want to party) is better, much better.

I don't expect any quick changes after full government handover, it will probably take another generation

Edited by yussiesamui

Was there in December and our housekeeper's brother drove us for a few days. He normally works as a driver for a UK advertising company. He drove us past his boss' condo (she is second in command in the company) which was in a fairly crummy area but the building was an OK 6 story structure. Rent? 4,000 USD per month!!! Needless to say there will be no retiree expat community for quite a while until supply catches up with demand.

I visited Burma last year and it was amazing how fast they started to become a equal nation in ASEAN. They are promoting tourism and if I remember right it was No 1 destination for travellers in 2013/14?

For us it's easier than in Thailand. At least in Rangoon you can read every sign board, enem shop signs. You can read if it is a barber or a butcher. Public transport is available. People are very friendly and even the lift boy in a hotel can speak English.

And Burma has a lot to offer from ancient times of their history but also beautiful beaches without any hotels. Unfortunately there will be a change soon because big hotel chains stake their claims already.

Financially Burma will follow Singapore with free trade zones and a financial hub.

So to make it short I can see retirees settle there. At present everything is cheap, though it's not so easy to find a suitable house to rent. The visa situation is on a change and the property market will rocketing soon.

After living and working in Thailand for the past 18 years moved to Yangon 6 months ago to continue teaching high school. Housing costs are for a nice 2 bdrm apartment is relatively the same as a similar apartment in downtown Bangkok approximately 30k baht. Living expenses are somewhat cheaper for the basics, Internet is much slower and not as readily available but fiber optic service is generally available in much of the city, but currently I am using Telenor 3G hotspot with my phone for Internet access. Traveling in and our of Myanmar by air is relatively inexpensive on NOK and AirAsia and minimal problems with the necessary long term visa. Salaries are similar to Bangkok but fluctuations in exchange rates between local currencies with US$ makes direct comparisons somewhat variable. Traveling outside of Yangon reminds me of traveling in northern Thailand 20 years ago. Shopping is much more limited in Myanmar than in Thailand but I have seen some improvement in the short time that I have been living in Yangon. New shopping and eating venues seem to be opening almost every month with major construction projects almost everywhere.

Traffic is a major drawback but with no motorcycles allowed within Yangon is a major difference with Bangkok along with driving on the right-hand side of the road like the US, but many vehicles are built for driving on the left-hand side of the road. Overall the pace of living is somewhat slower and possibly slightly easier going lifestyle within Yangon compared to Bangkok.

Have worked out of Yangon a few times and already four years ago there was a growing expat community there with more and more condo developments getting built.. Substantial offshore industry with TOTAL and PTTP major players.

A friend of mine went to Yangon. If you like traffic jams, that's the place to live. From what he said, there are virtually no motorcycles on the road, just cars. Maybe someone can explain why. For everyone who doesn't drive them and complains that they 'hate motorcyclists', just consider what happens when all those motorcycles you hate are forced to drive cars instead. "Well, they take mass transportation instead." Sure they will, just like the United States. I wouldn't bet on it. If I'm living in a densely populated city, I prefer a motorcycle for in-city driving over a car, unless it's pouring rain.

Have worked out of Yangon a few times and already four years ago there was a growing expat community there with more and more condo developments getting built.. Substantial offshore industry with TOTAL and PTTP major players.

A friend of mine went to Yangon. If you like traffic jams, that's the place to live. From what he said, there are virtually no motorcycles on the road, just cars. Maybe someone can explain why. For everyone who doesn't drive them and complains that they 'hate motorcyclists', just consider what happens when all those motorcycles you hate are forced to drive cars instead. "Well, they take mass transportation instead." Sure they will, just like the United States. I wouldn't bet on it. If I'm living in a densely populated city, I prefer a motorcycle for in-city driving over a car, unless it's pouring rain.

I suggest your second-hand hearsay has problems. Lots of cars, but few motorcycles would seem more a trait of a large middle- and upper-class, than the large lower-class myammies most people see.

I can't believe people are viewing Burma as a possible retirement place or even considering relocating.

Waaa...aaaayyy too many will miss their Big Cs, Tesco Lotus, Central world and Foodland for them to make a move. It needs another ten / fifteen years before it will offer anything other than a two week tourist destination or a lonely planet walkabout! I was there in 1991, there was no traffic problems in Yangon then!!.....smile.png

Any expats considering making a move from Thailand around these parts, it is Cambodia and if that's too small and scruffy, which I think it is, Vietnam.

Women in the cities, plenty of unmarried nice Vietnamese ladies available for LTR, beautiful islands and beaches, safe country, low crime rate, very cheap beer, scenery, country of contrasts, easy visa scheme and a good bus and air network.

It's a no brainer!

I can't believe people are viewing Burma as a possible retirement place or even considering relocating.

Waaa...aaaayyy too many will miss their Big Cs, Tesco Lotus, Central world and Foodland for them to make a move. It needs another ten / fifteen years before it will offer anything other than a two week tourist destination or a lonely planet walkabout! I was there in 1991, there was no traffic problems in Yangon then!!.....smile.png

Any expats considering making a move from Thailand around these parts, it is Cambodia and if that's too small and scruffy, which I think it is, Vietnam.

Women in the cities, plenty of unmarried nice Vietnamese ladies available for LTR, beautiful islands and beaches, safe country, low crime rate, very cheap beer, scenery, country of contrasts, easy visa scheme and a good bus and air network.

It's a no brainer!

why would you recommend cambodia over vietnam?

It's a no brainer!

Hi, You haven't read my post properly! No way have I rated Cambodia higher than Vietnam, Vietnam has got everything!

I was praising Vietnam!

"Any expats considering making a move from Thailand around these parts, it is Cambodia and if that's too small and scruffy, which I think it is, Vietnam. "

Edited by Scouse123

It's a no brainer!

Hi, You haven't read my post properly! No way have I rated Cambodia higher than Vietnam, Vietnam has got everything!

I was praising Vietnam!

"Any expats considering making a move from Thailand around these parts, it is Cambodia and if that's too small and scruffy, which I think it is, Vietnam. "

i liked vietnam when i had my own apartment.

did not like police coming in late at night and checking room for girls when i stayed at hotels though. they even checked the bathroom, in closet etc.

it's not legal there for foreigners and locals to be in the same room after a certain hour, could have really been a bad scene, and everyone watches and reports.

Edited by fey

Yes,

The post however, was mentioning relocating from Thailand with a view to Myanmar.

Vietnam will never be a destination for the sexpats and I doubt very much Myanmar will be either. I also am of the belief that the go go bars and massage parlours of Thailand are on the slide. Many of the sex workers now look fat and the wrong side of forty! Those that aren't want UK and Europe prices and more.

I personally have no interest in those areas of life but I am interested in the likes and dislikes of living in different countries of S.E.Asia.

To me, and it has been a long time coming, but I honestly think Vietnam will rocket in tourism way before Myanmar. The big boys are looking at long term and getting into Myanmar but that is the likes of Coke, Pepsi, KFC etc etc.

After living and working in Thailand for the past 18 years moved to Yangon 6 months ago to continue teaching high school. Housing costs are for a nice 2 bdrm apartment is relatively the same as a similar apartment in downtown Bangkok approximately 30k baht. Living expenses are somewhat cheaper for the basics, Internet is much slower and not as readily available but fiber optic service is generally available in much of the city, but currently I am using Telenor 3G hotspot with my phone for Internet access. Traveling in and our of Myanmar by air is relatively inexpensive on NOK and AirAsia and minimal problems with the necessary long term visa. Salaries are similar to Bangkok but fluctuations in exchange rates between local currencies with US$ makes direct comparisons somewhat variable. Traveling outside of Yangon reminds me of traveling in northern Thailand 20 years ago. Shopping is much more limited in Myanmar than in Thailand but I have seen some improvement in the short time that I have been living in Yangon. New shopping and eating venues seem to be opening almost every month with major construction projects almost everywhere.

Traffic is a major drawback but with no motorcycles allowed within Yangon is a major difference with Bangkok along with driving on the right-hand side of the road like the US, but many vehicles are built for driving on the left-hand side of the road. Overall the pace of living is somewhat slower and possibly slightly easier going lifestyle within Yangon compared to Bangkok.

Good information, thanks.

Are there international courier services available, i.e. DHL - FedEx - UPS?

How are the government customs and import duties?

I see many comments about expensive housing, is it possible for a foreigner to build?

did not like police coming in late at night and checking room for girls when i stayed at hotels though. they even checked the bathroom, in closet etc.

it's not legal there for foreigners and locals to be in the same room after a certain hour, could have really been a bad scene, and everyone watches and reports.

How long ago was this? Hard to believe police checks would still be happening in 2016. Talk about the State intruding into people's bedrooms.bah.gif

There seems to be a complete focus on Yangon as a retirement destination, I'm wondering what the situation is like in Mandalay. Suspect the climate would be much better. Perhaps no infrastructure or properties available.

How long ago was this? Hard to believe police checks would still be happening in 2016. Talk about the State intruding into people's bedrooms.:bah:

Guys,

I have three friends all living and working there with Vietnamese girlfriends who they are living with and unmarried and these girls are from Hanoi.

They are not ' bar girls ' but these guys have had no problems at all with Police I have been many times and never had my hotel room checked and actually never spoken to a policeman except on two occasions, once, when I was passenger on a motorbike in Halong and the other one was when I laid and got into a museum at lunchtime.!!

I found police very low key, and that's Hanoi, the capital.