Has aspirin become illegal in Thailand?

tgarrett100

I have been buying ASPENT -M 81 mg for about 7 years in Chiang Mai but if the Pharmacist is not on the premises,toilet/lunch break? the sales girls are not allowed to sell it.

Small plastic bottle about 30-35 baht for 60 depending on which pharmacy.

During the flooding around Bangkok was not available for a while as the factory was flooded,I was told.

I take low dose asprin every day as suggested/ recommended by my doctor in Australia, helps keep the blood thin. I also take medication for diabetes and a couple of other meds more as preventative measures, all prescription. I went to a pharmacy in Lat Krabang and spoke with the pharmacist who told me that most of my meds required a script, not asprin. I produced the letter from my doctor which I carry when I travel in case I get questioned about why I carry the stuff when travelling (I sometimes bring 3 months supply from Aust.) and he was happy that my requirement was genuine and now supplies me without question.

I feel it is sometimes important to be able to state a good case with the pharmacist. I hope this assists.

• Like 1

Regarding Aspirin. It is not illegal in Thailand, heaven forbid as there are too many old folks taking low dose aspirin to prevent blood clots and heart attacks/strokes. However a word of advice re the taking of aspirin for blood thinning purposes. Aspirin used to be my hang over cure in my early life until one day I took 2 and the next day I took 2 more. I had not taken any for a while at the time. This time I experienced a large circular area on my diaphram and a circular areas on both my wrists.There was no pain they just looked like blue bruises. I visited my GP and the first thing he asked was 'Had I taken aspirin lately' and of course I had. I had tests and was diagnosed as a borderline bleeder (haemophiliac). Since those days over 35yrs ago I have not been able to take aspirin for any reason. I had no trouble for 30 yrs taking aspirin then all of a sudden I became aspirin allergic. So be warned it is safe to take aspirin for a long time but then with no warning the same could happen to you.

Save starting new topic: Is Alprazolam illegal now?

The story from my usual pharmacist is that it's being used by those 'nice' folk as a date-rape drug. Used to be over the counter but now she says prescription only.

. I knew those Damn Ladybois would screw that up, druggin people.

until 3 years ago one could get wafarin (coumadin) the universally used blood thinner which is prescribed to many people for a variety of issues, for life in come cases. I know a buy 47 years old who takes it daily for life. it thins the blood and does a good job. but the blood needs to be tested regularly as it is quite dangerous to thin blood to this degree. one could hemorrhage easily if he has a head injury or similar. In the west people often get a little take home machine to do this test ... here not so much. so they make you go to the hospital once a month or so to get tested. It takes hours and is a pain in the but.

so they don't sell wafarin over the counter anymore...

this is probably also related to the complications of dengue fever and its prevalence here

• Like 1

Not illegal , but hard to find even in hospital pharmacies. Asprine and Malaria/dengue don't go well together , so they make it harder to self medicate.

I use the bayer 500 mg , 8 pills for 17 B . The 81mg ( why 81 mg ??) ones are for people who use them everyday for cardiovascular reasons ?

Anyone over 50 should take 81mg asprin. It keeps the blood thin and recommended by most physicians.

As for availability, most any pharmacy here in Khon Kaen has it. I have never had a problem buying them.

I suggest you buy the ones that are wrapped individually as they go bad quickly when exposed to air.

Aspirins that 'go bad'?

Pull the other one.

Not illegal , but hard to find even in hospital pharmacies. Asprine and Malaria/dengue don't go well together , so they make it harder to self medicate.

I use the bayer 500 mg , 8 pills for 17 B . The 81mg ( why 81 mg ??) ones are for people who use them everyday for cardiovascular reasons ?

Anyone over 50 should take 81mg asprin. It keeps the blood thin and recommended by most physicians.

As for availability, most any pharmacy here in Khon Kaen has it. I have never had a problem buying them.

I suggest you buy the ones that are wrapped individually as they go bad quickly when exposed to air.

That is VERY VERY BAD, actually dangerous advice.

You won't find credible doctors saying such a thing.

Readers -- please IGNORE the post above saying EVERYONE about 50 should take low dose aspirin therapy.

But adults in general should seek medical advice of their own based on their SPECIFIC medical condition and family history.

Like I said, there is now good evidence that people with a family history of colon history (and no other medical reasons related to coronary risk) should consider taking it not every day, but every OTHER day, for prevention of colon cancer.

Most people probably know about the cardiovascular aspect of this therapy but the findings regarding cancer prevention are more recent, so I think most people don't know yet, perhaps even most doctors in Thailand.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

If it's chewable aspirin, just buy the regular 500 mg tablets and cut them into quarters with a blunt knife. The pieces that remain will be pretty close to the 81mg dosage.

The low dose aspirin has ENTERIC coating. You need the ENTERIC coating for daily use. 500 mg. tablets I assume would NOT have that coating.

There's a history of heart disease in my family, and a daily dose of 81 mg aspirin has been suggested by a relative.

I'll do some research about the pros and cons of doing this daily but was wondering if anyone in Pattaya buys these from Fascino Pharmacy on North Pattaya Rd. If so, what's the price for them and do I need a prescription?

No prescription will be needed when Fascino has it.

Recently got it at Boots Central Pattaya Beach Mall. Also no scrip.

I know this will cause some outrage but as far as I am concerned the 81mg Aspirin is

a drug company marketing ploy. 81 mg costs double per pill than the 325 mg standard

dose. Cut it into quarters with a pill cutter if you want. 325 mg doses have shown

benefits in reducing colon cancer as well. This has yet to be demonstrated with the

81mg, at least when I last checked. And yes many medical journals have come out

and said if all 50+ year olds were put on a cocktail of blood pressure meds, aspirin,

and cholesterol lowering medication 10,s of thousands of lives would be saved in

the UK every year. There is also a suggestion the 50 age should be lowered

to 30. Of course there are some who are haemolytic and should not be on aspirin

therapy but if you are normal this should be considered in a daily regimen.

There are those that will talk about strokes and brain bleeds but the vast majority

of strokes are from clots not bleeds. Of course this is all big picture stuff. See your

doctor for a personal assessment. None of the drugs are under patent (expensive)

so the big pharma conspiracy theorists can relax. Up to you what you want to do

or believe. But aspirin, its not just about heart benefits. thumbsup.gif

In my experience, there seems to be a widespread negative attitude against aspirin, and one pharmacy seems to be down on it and the next seems to have no problem. As said if you can't get

it at one try another, although more seem to be negative than positive.

For some reason, the standard aspirin dosage for the heart is 100 mg in Japan. Maybe the extra 19 mg are helpful?

....75 mg in UK...

Again, you want to the lowest dose for this that is effective because you're taking it daily, the higher the dose the greater the chance of risky events such as internal bleeding.

Some researchers are questioning the daily thing now so don't be surprised if in a few years the advice changes to every other day, even for cardiovascular prevention purposes.

Research has shown every other day helps with prevention of colon cancer, but there haven't been studies yet about every other day for cardiovascular.

I realize that practically many people are deciding for themselves to take low dose daily aspirin therapy. Some that would get the same advice from a doctor, and some that wouldn't.

Personally, I had a doctor agree with it based on my specific risk factors. But be confident the standard dose here, 80 ish is a proper standard dose, and I reckon 75 is fine as well.

Edited by Jingthing

Never had any issue buying from local pharmacies.

There was an issue for awhile and many pharmacies would not sell aspirin.

I take low-dose aspirin everyday as a blood thinner and at one time I had to see my cardiologist to have the hospital pharmacy dispense them to me.

The same topic has been discussed several times before, most recently here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/882393-kanchanaburi-asprin/?p=10247278

If you are taking Cardiprin as a blood thinner you may have to take care . It might be just me but I was on Cardiprin for about 4 years and a couple of days before the new year I got a nosebleed. 3 days later I was down my local and I got the nosebleed of all nosebleeds !. I was told to stop Cardiprin right away. I did and 2 days later was my last nosebleed , not had one since. Oh for those who have never heard of Cardiprin.................they come in tabs of 100mg of aspirin and 45mg of glycine. They come in a calendar pack.

Is there a "rebound effect" with aspirin ? Where, for example, you have been taking it regularly for many years as a precaution against blood thickening, (not actually have), then you decide to suddenly stop, does this cause a rebound effect, and because your blood, is now aspirin free, your blood will possibly thicken ? Edited by mankondang
  • Like 1

Before surgery you need to talk to the doctor and they generally take you off of it before the surgery. I think yes there may be some risk in going off it but I think that can be reduced by gradually tapering off, like going every other day, then every three days, then off. I'm sure it's not as serious as going off statins ... that can kill you.

Low dose aspirin should NOT automatically be taken by everyone over 50...or any other age for that matter. While it has benefits, it also has risks and adverse effects and the risk/benefit needs to be assessed on an individual basis.

Some years back there was a lot of enthusiasm for putting people on aspirin. Then the reports of gastritis, ulcers, GI bleeds and the like began to come in. Current thinking is more nuanced. For some people the potential benefits outweigh the risks and for others not.

This is a good overview http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/heart-disease/in-depth/daily-aspirin-therapy/art-20046797

• Like 2

Exactly, there are risks and it's NOT for everyone, but personally I think with the more recent cancer prevention findings, there will probably be a trend to suggest it more often.

The interesting thing in that link to me is that there is a meaningful medical difference seen between a dose of 75 and 81 when I had thought that was so close it was pretty much the same thing!

What's the best dose of aspirin to take?

Your doctor will discuss what dose is right for you. Very low doses of aspirin —75 milligrams (mg), which is less than an adult low-dose aspirin — can be effective. Your doctor will usually prescribe a daily dose anywhere from 81 mg — the amount in an adult low-dose aspirin — to 325 mg (a regular strength tablet). If you have had a heart attack or have had a heart stent placed, it's very important to take aspirin and any other blood-thinning medications exactly as recommended.

Edited by Jingthing

I would never take them. Aspirin contains strong acids that can burn through the stomach wall. Prolonged use can cause internal bleeding.

It can cause internal bleeding, yes. Which is why only people that have a very good medical reason to take them should take that risk.

Edited by Jingthing