Has aspirin become illegal in Thailand?

tgarrett100

I take 81mg aspirin per physician's instruction after undergoing an angioplasty last year. 2 weeks ago, my wife advised that she had to sign for the aspirin purchase based upon "a new law" that limits purchase of aspirin. Today at a discount pharmacy in Nonthaburi, she was told that aspirin was now illegal and we would have to go to the hospital to obtain. Say What? Is anyone aware of a new law that makes aspirin illegal?

Thanks!

• Like 1

Not illegal , but hard to find even in hospital pharmacies. Asprine and Malaria/dengue don't go well together , so they make it harder to self medicate.

I use the bayer 500 mg , 8 pills for 17 B . The 81mg ( why 81 mg ??) ones are for people who use them everyday for cardiovascular reasons ?

• Thanks 1

Never had any issue buying from local pharmacies.

There was an issue for awhile and many pharmacies would not sell aspirin.

I take low-dose aspirin everyday as a blood thinner and at one time I had to see my cardiologist to have the hospital pharmacy dispense them to me.

The same topic has been discussed several times before, most recently here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/882393-kanchanaburi-asprin/?p=10247278

Posted 2015-09-20 10:58:38

In general aspirin does nto require a prescrioption in Thailand. However for some bizarre reason there is one brand that does: B-Apirin 81. Although not made by Bayer (Bayer aspirin in Thailand comes only in 500 mg) this is probably what the store thought OP meant.

81 mg brands available without prescription are:

Asatab (enteric coated)

Aspent M (enteric coated)

Aspilets (lchewable so not coated)

This is a post by Sheryl back in September from this thread http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/857088-aspirin-now-a-prescription-drug/page-2

For some reason, the standard aspirin dosage for the heart is 100 mg in Japan. Maybe the extra 19 mg are helpful?

No.

Why the categorical "No" ?

Can you produce evidence which supports that monosyllabic claim ?

About 80ish is the standard dose.

Low-dose aspirin (81 mg) is the most common dose used to prevent a heart attack or a stroke. But the dose for daily aspirin can range from 81 mg to 325 mg. One low-dose aspirin contains 81 mg. One adult-strength aspirin contains about 325 mg.

In reality, nobody should start low dose aspirin therapy without consulting a DOCTOR.

If the doctor suggests it, the standard dose will be the 80ish.

For special reasons, like if you're an active heart patient, the dose may be higher but again the STANDARD dose is 80ish.

This therapy is NOT for everyone! There are real risks.

New research has indicated also that it is helpful in preventing colon cancer, again at the STANDARD dose, not even daily, but every other day.

So some people who have a family history of colon cancer may want to ask a good doctor if they should take it every other day if that's the only reason they're indicated to take it.

You don't want to take more than you need ... it increases the RISKS.

http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/tc/low-dose-aspirin-therapy-topic-overview?page=3

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Not illegal , but hard to find even in hospital pharmacies. Asprine and Malaria/dengue don't go well together , so they make it harder to self medicate.

I use the bayer 500 mg , 8 pills for 17 B . The 81mg ( why 81 mg ??) ones are for people who use them everyday for cardiovascular reasons ?

Anyone over 50 should take 81mg asprin. It keeps the blood thin and recommended by most physicians.

As for availability, most any pharmacy here in Khon Kaen has it. I have never had a problem buying them.

I suggest you buy the ones that are wrapped individually as they go bad quickly when exposed to air.

There's a history of heart disease in my family, and a daily dose of 81 mg aspirin has been suggested by a relative.

I'll do some research about the pros and cons of doing this daily but was wondering if anyone in Pattaya buys these from Fascino Pharmacy on North Pattaya Rd. If so, what's the price for them and do I need a prescription?

Just brought a bottle of 500 325mg aspirin thru customs. I take 81mg a day and in the past have found aspirin to be expensive when purchased in country. I buy 325s in the USA and use a pill splitter. A bottle of 500 costs US$3 and change. Dirt cheap when you consider that will last over 5 years.

• Like 2