Has aspirin become illegal in Thailand?

tgarrett100

I would never take them. Aspirin contains strong acids that can burn through the stomach wall. Prolonged use can cause internal bleeding.

Which "strong acids" does Aspirin contain ?

I don`t know but a friend was taking aspirin every day and he lost 2 pints of blood, almost died. It affected his legs too, caused blood clots. Something you have to look up.

For some reason, the standard aspirin dosage for the heart is 100 mg in Japan. Maybe the extra 19 mg are helpful?

No.

Why the categorical "No" ?

Can you produce evidence which supports that monosyllabic claim ?

About 80ish is the standard dose.

Unless you're in Japan where people have a longer life expectancy.

My US GP has prescribed daily doses of "low dose" aspirin (81mg) for over ten years now, along with Statins for cholesterol management and Gemfibrozil for triglycerides

When a cardiologist and hematologist here in Thailand put me on daily warfarin therapy for DVT no one took me off of the low dose aspirin. This continued regimen was approved and continued by my US doctors, along with twice monthly self INR testing and annual liver function tests

So there must be more than just the blood thinning aspect for the use of low dose aspirin that us non pharmacists are not aware of

Some people are allergic to aspirin in any form. We have to have big red letters on our aspirin here since my TG can only take Tylenol

When I complained to my GP that Tylenol just didn't work as good as Aspirin she told me that for occasional use, mainly for headaches, using regular size Aspirin was not a problem just not to over do it

Just my experience and not intended for the self medicators out there

until 3 years ago one could get wafarin (coumadin) the universally used blood thinner which is prescribed to many people for a variety of issues, for life in come cases. I know a buy 47 years old who takes it daily for life. it thins the blood and does a good job. but the blood needs to be tested regularly as it is quite dangerous to thin blood to this degree. one could hemorrhage easily if he has a head injury or similar. In the west people often get a little take home machine to do this test ... here not so much. so they make you go to the hospital once a month or so to get tested. It takes hours and is a pain in the but.

so they don't sell wafarin over the counter anymore...

this is probably also related to the complications of dengue fever and its prevalence here

I had four months on warfarin years ago when I had DVT. Weekly blood tests, with the dose adjusted accordingly. If really needed, and properly controlled, it works. But for self medication as a blood thinner, aspirin is far safer.

The interesting thing in that link to me is that there is a meaningful medical difference seen between a dose of 75 and 81 when I had thought that was so close it was pretty much the same thing!

The 75 mg prescribed in the UK is normally dispersible. That is what I take and I haven't been able to get those in Thailand. I get them from the UK, equivalent of about 70 baht for a hundred.

Unless you're in Japan where people have a longer life expectancy.

What are you on about? Are you suggesting that everyone in Japan takes daily aspirin therapy and their higher life expectancy is because of the standard dose of the aspirin there? Speaking of which, do we really know for a fact that 100 not 81 is the standard dose there based on one post here? As explained before, doctors may suggest lower or higher than the standard DEPENDING on the patient.

(Edited to allow reply.)

Edited by Jingthing

Japanese have less heart attacks and live longer than most other countries, if the heart patients there are taking 100 than maybe the doctors there on to something.

The dose is determined by doctors.

Many, possibly most of the people taking daily aspirin therapy in the world probably have not had a cardiovascular event and are taking it to try to PREVENT that. They take because of risk factors for that.

People who have ALREADY had such an event are often taking higher doses set by their doctors, sometimes MUCH higher.

I am not even convinced that the "standard" prevent dose which is about 81 globally is REALLY 100 in Japan, and that they don't have 75 and 81 there too. Not based on one post here anyway.

The POINT is the dose is supposed to be set by your doctor anyway!

But for those who are self prescribing for prevention, they're generally going to choose the standard prevent dose because that's what they'll easily find at the stores.

Edited by Jingthing

Japanese have less heart attacks and live longer than most other countries, if the heart patients there are taking 100 than maybe the doctors there on to something.

More likely a low fat diet, plenty of fish and exercise. I doubt "the doctors there are on to anything"

Yes, it was a ridiculous and absurd assertion.

May as well say it's the MANGA.

More likely a low fat diet, plenty of fish and exercise. I doubt "the doctors there are on to anything"

If the Japanese doctor's prescribing heart meds, the fish and exercise weren't enough, so maybe they are on to something.

If the Japanese doctor's prescribing heart meds, the fish and exercise weren't enough, so maybe they are on to something.

Maybe they are on to the fact that SOME people are genetically predisposed to heart disease so need extra protection

Or maybe some posters just don't want to loose face by being wrong

Of course that doesn't necessarily mean that the subject of low dose aspirin in Japan can't shed light on the issue internationally.

http://www.webmd.com/heart/news/20141117/daily-aspirin-fails-to-help-heart-in-japanese-study

MONDAY, Nov. 17, 2014 (HealthDay News) -- Daily low-dose aspirintherapy may not have significant heart-health benefits for older people, new research suggests.

The study, which involved more than 14,000 Japanese people aged 60 to 85, found no major difference in heart-related deaths or non-fatalheart attacks and strokes between people who took aspirin and those who didn't.

In the study, doctors randomly prescribed daily low-dose aspirin to older patients with
high blood pressure, high cholesterol or diabetes.

What DOSE was used in this study in Japan indicating doubt about the benefits of low dose aspirin therapy in higher risk older people (assuming they weren't including people who had already had a cardio event)?

I knew that would asked.rolleyes.gif

100 mg.

http://www.medpagetoday.com/Cardiology/Prevention/48665

The Japanese researchers enrolled 14,658 individuals into the study, assigning 791 people who were assigned to take one 100 mg enteric coated aspirin daily and 7335 individuals who were given placebo.

Of course that doesn't mean you personally shouldn't take low dose aspirin or that you should quit it. That's a personal medical decision which would ideally involve advice from a doctor.

Also note the first link mentions that Japanese populations are not the same as western populations. Presumably in matters of ways of living and eating and also genetics. So conclusions there don't necessarily apply internationally.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

you can buy all manner of dangerous antibiotics happily OTC, in my little moobaan shop, but the little man in the shop, says in thai, something like some government person came by and told him not to sell aspirin.

back ass wards , aspirin is more dangerous than antibiotics, etc ; TIT

• Like 1

Save starting new topic: Is Alprazolam illegal now?

The story from my usual pharmacist is that it's being used by those 'nice' folk as a date-rape drug. Used to be over the counter but now she says prescription only.

Yup, spiking drinks is what got people here to freak out. Try more pharmacies, it may take 10 tries but you'll find it. Same for Diazepam and Tramadol.

Alprazolam is not illegal, but it is a controlled substance and requires a prescription and is usually available only in hospital pharmacies.

Diazepam ditto.

It is seriously illegal to sell or buy these drugs without a prescription.

Tramadol on the other hand is still OTC though can be dispensed only by a grade one pharmacist and the pharmacy has to record the sale, which some do not want the bother of.

• Like 1

my understanding is that the patent expired so big pharma would rather we buy the next generation med

The patents for aspirin expired a hundred years ago (or more, depending on the country). So if "big pharma" was trying to get people to buy a new med in its place, they haven't been doing a very good job of it as it's still one of the most popular and widely-used drugs in the world, a hundred years or more after its patents expired.
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I live in a town south of Khon Kaen, no problem with purchasing aspirin. Aspent bottle 60 tabs 25 baht, Aspent strip 10 tabs 5 baht. Ascot 10 tabs 5 baht. ALL are 81mg. Aspent was unavailable some years ago, not banned but a fire or something at the factory. If you buy at a hospital the price will be high. I believe Aspent are a coated tablet. I take 1 tab a day to help prevent TIA's, having had numerous TIA's to date. Was asked to take 2 per day but allergic response within 24 hours. If you are from the UK Aspent is slightly different in some way to all forms of Aspirin there. For any medication I always ask for "local" its often very very much cheaper and I have never had a problem.

• Like 1

I live in a town south of Khon Kaen, no problem with purchasing aspirin. Aspent bottle 60 tabs 25 baht, Aspent strip 10 tabs 5 baht. Ascot 10 tabs 5 baht. ALL are 81mg. Aspent was unavailable some years ago, not banned but a fire or something at the factory. If you buy at a hospital the price will be high. I believe Aspent are a coated tablet. I take 1 tab a day to help prevent TIA's, having had numerous TIA's to date. Was asked to take 2 per day but allergic response within 24 hours. If you are from the UK Aspent is slightly different in some way to all forms of Aspirin there. For any medication I always ask for "local" its often very very much cheaper and I have never had a problem.

If taking Aspirin results in a allergic reaction you should not be taking it.

There are other medications available------------ speak to your Dr about the aspirin allergy and request an alternative.

In Pattaya several places say they don't have Aspent-M in stock now and haven't found it anywhere.

I asked one place if that means never, all they could say is the factory hasn't shipped it. Weird, huh?

I think many people, including me, buy lots of it when they do find it in stock. Maybe that's the reason, poor stock control?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Not illegal , but hard to find even in hospital pharmacies. Asprine and Malaria/dengue don't go well together , so they make it harder to self medicate.

I use the bayer 500 mg , 8 pills for 17 B . The 81mg ( why 81 mg ??) ones are for people who use them everyday for cardiovascular reasons ?

Anyone over 50 should take 81mg asprin. It keeps the blood thin and recommended by most physicians.

As for availability, most any pharmacy here in Khon Kaen has it. I have never had a problem buying them.

I suggest you buy the ones that are wrapped individually as they go bad quickly when exposed to air.

Aspirins that 'go bad'?

Pull the other one.

It's no joke. High humidity combined with room temps above 30C will spoil most medicines quickly. You may not be aware of the lower strength but it could be a risk when medicines are life supporting.

• Like 1