Has aspirin become illegal in Thailand?

tgarrett100

That is why most pills in Thailand are dispensed in blister packs

If you go to a clinic you'll find a lot of medicine is dispensed straight from bottles. They'll open the bottle and count out your tablets.

You still have the temperature to consider, even in a blister pack. You'll note that a lot of medicine has 25C as maximum suggested storage temperature... other medicines 30C. Most of the year room temperatures are around 30C here in Thailand IF the room is out of the direct sun and not directly under a roof. This is near the ocean - inland it will get a lot hotter.

I never buy my medicine from hole-in-the-wall pharmacies which don't use much air conditioning. Other places may use air conditioning during day only. 24 hour pharmacies which use air conditioning day and night are the safest bet for well maintained products. I'm sure a lot of medicine is already spoilt when purchased.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Well I will cut to the chase. I only drink on occasion. But, I have been known to overindulge when I do. So, with that in mind/ I have waken with a "hangover". Yes, that is true. Tylenol or IBuprofen is not recommended for hangovers. Something to do with kidney or liver problems. You  will have to check webmd.com on your own.

So this brings me to my point. Aspirin seems to be the only solution for me. I can't believe aspirin which has been a non prescription drug for as long as I can remember, is on a no sell list. At least on a "I can't find it list".   If anyone has a good source, I would appreciate it. (This is like dealing with the Cartel).  I live in Khon Kaen, so please don't tell me where the best sources in Bangkok or Pattaya are. But, I do travel quite a bit in Isaan. So, any recommendation would be great. 

Thank you,

Kowpot

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I bought Bayer Aspirin for years - here in Chiang Rai.  About a year ago, it quit being available for sale.  I then found a little pharmacy which sold regular aspirin (probably the same as Bayer).   Now, every pharmacy in Chiang Rai says 'no aspirin for sale.'   Do I have to go to a hospital and talk to a doctor just to get aspirin here?   I don't want the newer types of headache pills; Anacin/Ibuprophin/Tylanol..... I just want plain ol' aspirin.  

Note:  When Actifed (pseudoephydrine) became illegal in Thailand (because ya ba makers were using it as one of the ingredients in speed), I had to go to a doctor in a hospital to get the 'ok.'   Hassles.

I do believe that one (maybe the main....) reason aspirin is phased out in Thailand, is aggressive campaigning by aspirin-replacement trademarked pills.  Tylanol, for example, is very successful in getting its brand showcased in all Thai hospitals.  Personally, I don't like Tylanol, but they're like the Donald Trump of aspirin in terms of aggressive marketing.  

It would not be surprising if it were found that the Tylanol people were bribing people in the medical or gov't communities - to make their product dominate.   Of course, Thais would not be involved with initiating an investigation, but Thais may follow-up on farang initiatives - similar to what's happening with the Rolls Royce/Thai Airways imbroglio.

• 2 months later...

I asked a few pharmacists why Aspirin is no longer available in what I would call 'headache dose' and they seem to say that Bayer no longer sell it in Thailand and they stopped selling it a 'long time' ago. They don't know why it's been pulled from the market and don't seem to care.

I think I'm going to make some calls on this, maybe phone Bayer in Germany and ask them why they've pulled out of a large market, something is not right there.

Nobody seems to know why it's not available any more and all I hear are excuses, lies and ignorance.

Aspirin is still fully available.

In many local brand names.

Bayer brand aspirin is for some reason either out of stock or off the market here.

go to a large Thai pharmacy (not the pharmacy counter of a Boots or Watsons) and ask for any of these brands:

Aspirin BD 325

Seferin (enteric coated)

Aspent (enteric coated)

Entrarin (enteric coasted)

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

I have read that it is "restricted". though how the article did not say.
The reason given was the presence here of Dengue fever, which will present symptoms of headache, which in turn causes one to reach for the aspirin. Another "feature" of Dengue it seems is internal bleeding, which makes aspirin very ungood.
As I say, I do not know if this is true/verifiable. I had been having trouble getting the 81 mg for my heart, but a doc at Queen Sirikit in Sattahip asked if I was taking it, and after telling him my trouble finding it prescribed it for me from the hospital pharmacy.

On 3/28/2016 at 11:33 AM, Sheryl said:

It's no joke. High humidity combined with room temps above 30C will spoil most medicines quickly. You may not be aware of the lower strength but it could be a risk when medicines are life supporting.

I keep all meds in the refrigerator. Th produce section so not too cold but cool enough. Indeed the ambient temperatures here will deactivate many drugs.

I read a report recently about sub standard insulin... in the US. It was determined that it was not being adequately cooled in transit, so that it often had been compromised before getting to the pharmacy fridge.
I now get mine through the government hospital. Seems to be ok, and they always pack it in ice for me.

On 2/6/2016 at 6:27 PM, Jingthing said:

What are you on about?

The suggestion that people with known risk factors for heart disease should consider taking daily low aspirin therapy is not a Japanese idea.

It's very mainstream.

Again, the specific dose suggest by doctors will depend on the patient.

This therapy is given as both a prevention and also to people who have already had an event.

Nothing specific to Japan at all.

The controversy brought up here is the suggestion that EVERYONE over 50 should take it, regardless of their medical specifics. That advice is very much NOT MAINSTREAM.

Just a guess on my part, but Japanese people seem to have a lower risk profile... better average diet, etc., so it is not surprising if the benefit from low dose aspirin therapy is less applicable.
Just my (probably inaccurate) thought. :smile:

On 2/3/2016 at 9:46 AM, BuaBS said:

why 81 mg

Standard sized aspirin pills in the US are (or were) 325 mg. 500mg was "extra strength", but is now common. A baby aspirin, as recommended by some doctors in the US for some patients, is 1/4 a standard aspirin (it would be 81.25 but I guess they round down).

In Mexico (I happen to know) standard aspirins are 500 mg, and I've never seen 325mg pills. "Junior Aspirins" are 100 mg, and some doctors recommend one of those a day for some patients.

I suspect doctors are simply recommending the lowest-dosage pills that are generally available in that country.

If you have a doctor, talk to him/her about it. If you are self-medicating without the benefit of medical advice.... don't do that. If you insist, I'd say take the smallest dose you can get.

• Like 1

It's not rocket science.

If you have multiple risk factors for coronary events most doctors would agree the low dose aspirin therapy is a reasonable thing to do. 

Such as --

high blood pressure (hopefully on medication)

high cholesterol

obesity

family history

In my case years ago I just started taking the aspirin myself and mentioned it to my doctor on my next visit and he agreed, yes, good idea. No big drama. 

Important -- be sure the pill has enteric coating!

Edited by Jingthing

On 2/26/2018 at 9:03 AM, JohnC said:

I get my Aspent 81mg from Fascino in Pattaya no problem. 

The problem is that a dose that's effective for a headache requires 12 of those, at a cost that's 20-30 times more than 1000 mg should cost.  And a bottle of 100 only lasts about 2-3 days into a good headache.

The problem is that a dose that's effective for a headache requires 12 of those, at a cost that's 20-30 times more than 1000 mg should cost.  And a bottle of 100 only lasts about 2-3 days into a good headache.

My pills are one baht each. They're not meant for headaches but multiples of one baht for an occasional headache won't break the bank.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

34 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

My pills are one baht each. They're not meant for headaches but multiples of one baht for an occasional headache won't break the bank.

True, but I can buy 1000 of the 500 mg tablets for less than $5 at the discount chains back home.  Where the average per capita income is 10x what it is in Thailand.  For a drug that's on the UN's list of necessary drugs.

Leading me to wonder how many Thai's (and foreigners) have died because they couldn't afford to keep some aspirin around to take at the first sign of a heart attack or stroke?

Edit:  BTW, I freely admit to going full drama queen here.  But the bottom line is that someone's giving the Thai people a royal ream job on aspirin.  Along with the foreigners staying in Thailand.

Edited by impulse

I checked Fascino Pattaya yesterday.

No 500 mg pills available such as Bayer. (Not coated.)

They were selling 300 mg. enteric coated ones for one baht each.

As mentioned as an emergency measure in case of a heart/stroke emergency you'd probably want to chew a 500 mg. one.

But you could  chew up the 300 mg. ones too for such a purpose. 

Last time I checked no problem buying full strength aspirin in Thailand either.

This thread is a non issue.

Full strength as in 500mg aspirin ?
Please tell us where did you get these from in Pattaya ?
Last year I went to many places excluding the big Facino on north Pattaya road....most said no asprin a couple that did only had 80mg at 80 baht per 10

Recently I was in the UK none of the shops had 500mg asprin, the ones that had packs of 20x300mg would only allow 2 packs per customer !

1 minute ago, johng said:

Full strength as in 500mg aspirin ?
Please tell us where did you get these from in Pattaya ?
Last year I went to many places excluding the big Facino on north Pattaya road....most said no asprin a couple that did only had 80mg at 80 baht per 10

Recently I was in the UK none of the shops had 500mg asprin, the ones that had packs of 20x300mg would only allow 2 packs per customer !

Yeah, you're right. 500 mg. might a problem as I found last night. But 300 or 325 shouldn't be and at about one baht per pill, just double up!

30 minutes ago, johng said:

I went to 1 "pharmacist" in BKK and asked if he had any asprin at all, he had some 80 mg. When I asked about 300 or 500mg he said "cant sell those or your heart will explode"

That is so incredibly ignorant. Did he have a pharmacist coat on? 

The coats mean nothing, plenty of untrained people behind counters wearing them.

It is, in my experience, the exception rather than the rule to encounter a true pharmacist behind the counter of a Thai pharmacy.

• Like 1

The coats mean nothing, plenty of untrained people behind counters wearing them.

It is, in my experience, the exception rather than the rule to encounter a true pharmacist behind the counter of a Thai pharmacy.
That's been my experience too but I bet many people assume differently.