First time in Phuket/Thailand - advice please

invisible999

Thanks everybody for suggestions. After some thought went and booked car rental at Thai Rent a Car. It would be pretty much the same price of two way Airport Transfer and 8 hours car/driver (1500THB + 2500 THB) rental vs. to rent a car for 4 days, including additional insurance (4400THB).

In this case I won't dependent on external transportation and we can go anywhere we want.

Good decision, good price ..

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really - to Khao Lak about an hour on a 2 way country road, to Krabi over 2 hours on a dual highway just about all the way.

So if we leave around 10AM we will have enough time to tour around Khao Lak and come back around 7PM?

Are there any specifics filling up tank for a rental car? Is it self-service or does attendant does it for you? Do you need to go to the box, pay for the amount (either by liters or baht) and come back?

How often are stations around? Di I need to fill the tank once tank drops to the half? Are there any stations nearby Phuket Airport to fill up tank before dropping off?

Yes for the first sentence question.

Attendant handles the fill up, just note which side of the car the tank is on and pull in appropriately.

Yes, there is a Susco station before the airport turnoff,also there are stations along the way, start to think about it when you hit 1/4.

So if we leave around 10AM we will have enough time to tour around Khao Lak and come back around 7PM?

Are there any specifics filling up tank for a rental car? Is it self-service or does attendant does it for you? Do you need to go to the box, pay for the amount (either by liters or baht) and come back?

How often are stations around? Di I need to fill the tank once tank drops to the half? Are there any stations nearby Phuket Airport to fill up tank before dropping off?

9 hours gives you more than plenty time. Depends how many detours you take to look at the tourist attractions, I am talking about natural attractions live springs, caves, etc. Look out for the blue square shape signs that advise when/where attraction (in English).

Check the fuel type required with the rental place, and usually marked inside the petrol flap. It's always attendant service, just tell them to fill (tim crap in Thai). Plentry gas stations, best fill when guage shows quarter full.

There is a PTT gas station just about opposite the airport exit going right, 100m on the left side of the main road.

Thanks everybody for suggestions. After some thought went and booked car rental at Thai Rent a Car. It would be pretty much the same price of two way Airport Transfer and 8 hours car/driver (1500THB + 2500 THB) rental vs. to rent a car for 4 days, including additional insurance (4400THB).

In this case I won't dependent on external transportation and we can go anywhere we want.

Renting a car is the smart thing to do. When you have your own mobility phuket is a nice place to visit.

For things to do you may want to try wakeboading . There is a wakeboard place when you are driving back from surin to the main highway intersection at the Heroines Monument. It's about half way to the heroines minument on the right hand side. I think there is some kind of Chinese temple where you turn right. Also on the same road about 1km before you reach heroines monument and directly opposite the back entrance to Thai Wasadu there is a great thai isan restaurant. It's the last shop in a row of shophouses and has a big green sign on it. Another great restaurant is Ban Pe seafood if you. Google Phuket seafood reastuants it's always in he top names. It's about 10km from the heroines monument as if you kept heading straight (east) when you got to the heroines monument coming from surin.

Renting a car is the smart thing to do. When you have your own mobility phuket is a nice place to visit.

For things to do you may want to try wakeboading . There is a wakeboard place when you are driving back from surin to the main highway intersection at the Heroines Monument. It's about half way to the heroines minument on the right hand side. I think there is some kind of Chinese temple where you turn right. Also on the same road about 1km before you reach heroines monument and directly opposite the back entrance to Thai Wasadu there is a great thai isan restaurant. It's the last shop in a row of shophouses and has a big green sign on it. Another great restaurant is Ban Pe seafood if you. Google Phuket seafood reastuants it's always in he top names. It's about 10km from the heroines monument as if you kept heading straight (east) when you got to the heroines monument coming from surin.

Thanks for suggestion. The monument - is it this one? For Bang Pea seafood, google shows this location. Is this accurate?

Thanks for suggestion. The monument - is it this one? For Bang Pea seafood, google shows this location. Is this accurate?

Yes and yes

Yes and yes
If you're planning to get wheels and you don't mind a drive then I would also recommend a restaurant called Kin Dee it's right at the top of the island and serves really good thai food. Basically drive to the sarisin bridge check point and do a u turn just before the the checkpoint gate go back around 500 meters and its down a side street on your left. There is a sign at the turn on the main road. Drive slowly and you will see it. Both Kin Dee and Ban pae are open for lunch and are very relaxing settings with good food. Ban pae will cost you 1000 -1500 for 2 and Kin Dee is will cost around 50% more. Neither will break the bank and it's good food.

Must be paying a lot for the settings in those places, aye?

Two people for lunch, split a chao pad (70-90thb) a penang gai (overpriced 100thb) and a seafood salad (again lets say exorbitant 120thb) two waters and not sure how you get to 1000-1500thb for two and you say the other place is more expensive?

I do appreciate dining suggestions folks. While I already rented car, I do not think we will go for dining only on east side - I won't to stop by at these place on our way when exploring the island, but drive 30min one way just for lunch/dinner - nah.

So on Sunday we drive from Surin to south to Phromthep Cape, stopping from time to time on sights. If you suggest a good (not necessarily expensive) place to have a lunch alongside the road - it would be great. For dinner I reserved Night Market.

On Monday we drive to north, towards Khao Lak, so again, would be a good to know where on our way we can stop by.

BTW, questions regarding stopping and parking car - will it be a problem to find a parking place near Night Market on Sunday and around Old Town? How much is parking? Also, are parking at overlooks/sights paid or free? If paid, what are rates, so I know if someone is trying to scamming...

BTW, questions regarding stopping and parking car - will it be a problem to find a parking place near Night Market on Sunday and around Old Town? How much is parking? Also, are parking at overlooks/sights paid or free? If paid, what are rates, so I know if someone is trying to scamming...

Generally parking is free at most places. There are some private parking lots charging 100 baht, avoid them.

Parking is always a challenge in Phuket Town and many other places. Expect to park a walk away from where you want to go.

I do appreciate dining suggestions folks. While I already rented car, I do not think we will go for dining only on east side - I won't to stop by at these place on our way when exploring the island, but drive 30min one way just for lunch/dinner - nah.

So on Sunday we drive from Surin to south to Phromthep Cape, stopping from time to time on sights. If you suggest a good (not necessarily expensive) place to have a lunch alongside the road - it would be great. For dinner I reserved Night Market.

On Monday we drive to north, towards Khao Lak, so again, would be a good to know where on our way we can stop by.

Sabai Corner, neat spot epic views,pretty decent Thai food, some western selections also.

You'll inevitably want to take in the viewpoint at Kata Hill, a view of Kata Noi, Kata Yai,Karon, postcard picturesque.

Immediate right turn as you go down toward Nai Harn,I mean literally the right turn is there at the viewpoint,property adjacent to this road. Down a steep hill,wind around a little, you'll come to Sabai Corner.

Parking is always a challenge in Phuket Town and many other places. Expect to park a walk away from where you want to go.

I won't mind walking - we will see more on streets.

If we want to see old town and Night Marker, where would you suggest to park car so we can find a parking place and see streets/architecture/local life on way to/from the car?

Edited by invisible999

Sabai Corner, neat spot epic views,pretty decent Thai food, some western selections also.

You'll inevitably want to take in the viewpoint at Kata Hill, a view of Kata Noi, Kata Yai,Karon, postcard picturesque.

Immediate right turn as you go down toward Nai Harn,I mean literally the right turn is there at the viewpoint,property adjacent to this road. Down a steep hill,wind around a little, you'll come to Sabai Corner.

Is it this one? Is the map location accurate?

Is it this one? Is the map location accurate?

Yes,thats it ! Cheers, GOM

People are saying that view is great but staff does speak a word in English and bills come in Thai so you do not know what is in there.

What would you suggest to order for a small snack and/or non-alcoholic drink and how much one should expect to pay for it?

Edited by invisible999

People are saying that view is great but staff does speak a word in English and bills come in Thai so you do not know what is in there.

What would you suggest to order for a small snack and/or non-alcoholic drink and how much one should expect to pay for it?

Staff can communicate in English, don't worry there. You'll not have enough items on your bill to warrant too much concern on lining that up, heck, my Tesco Lotus grocery bill is all Thai and I don't read it but still can run down my 15 items.......

Spring rolls or a chicken satay, a really nice refreshing drink here is nam manao, which is basically lemonade. Couple hundred bahts? 250 maybe?

• 2 weeks later...

Writing this message from Sabai Corner, overlooking the view, after enjoying spring rolls, fried squid and steamed vegetables. It was great, thank you very much for suggestions. :) It is great, when there are people helping you and giving sound advice.

So far the only problem I've encountered is that this morning I've discovered that one hubcap on rear wheel is missing. Don't know how much rental company would want for that but I did buy additional insurance for 800THB with zero liability. We'll see.

One last question - want to go in a local supermarket and buy Thai coffee and tea which are sold in sachets. Would you recommend which one are the best?

I meant - which brand?

Do you have a coffee maker or are you talking instant? Hocklee Coffee on Viset Road in Rawai, near the intersection of Soi Siyuan, across from the 7-11 and just a bit south, has fresh roasted Thai grown coffee that I think is good. They have a darker and a lighter roast, ground or whole bean. Also coffee drinks, ice coffee, etc. Third generation on Phuket since 1955.

Is anyone else thinking that the questions asked by the OP are getting more petty and silly all the time? What to eat, how to pay a bill, a missing hubcap, what type of coffee, how to talk to waiters. This is way past the usual newbie questions about accommodation, etc.

​I know we're not allowed to call it, but......

Is anyone else thinking that the questions asked by the OP are getting more petty and silly all the time? What to eat, how to pay a bill, a missing hubcap, what type of coffee, how to talk to waiters. This is way past the usual newbie questions about accommodation, etc.

C'mon now salty, let it go, I found some humor in the missing hubcap, images of a pothole busting that off like filling coming loose from a stone in a Burger King Burger.

The post beats where to park at Millennium Resort, of course a large resort has no parking........

OP for the coffee as LIK mentioned I think you can get that at most 7's and also the purple Supercheap Marts, they're everywhere.

C'mon now salty, let it go, I found some humor in the missing hubcap, images of a pothole busting that off like filling coming loose from a stone in a Burger King Burger.

The post beats where to park at Millennium Resort, of course a large resort has no parking........

OP for the coffee as LIK mentioned I think you can get that at most 7's and also the purple Supercheap Marts, they're everywhere.

Yes, I bit my tongue on the where to park post.

And the OP wants you to tell him which brand he should buy, not where to buy it. That will be the next question.

Sure Ol Croc, understand a bit annoying the mundane, but man, the board these days has hit an all time mundane low..............so helping a Phuket newbie tourist, yea it's o.k. (IMO), I mean compare with the other the threads:

Changing oil in a gearbox- geez, can't find a shop? Yes, cheap mechanics everywhere, no genie needed.

Light rail for Phuket-I forsee Thailand landing someone on the moon before that happens

Where to park for Consular Outreach-Einstein has been discussed already

Thai Wedding ceremony - well, my nomination for the most exciting topic thumbsup.gif

POV Rockclimbing- Whaaat (!!!!???) women's curling is on the sports channel, how dare you interrupt that !

Parking at Phuket Airport - maybe there should be a pinned Phuket Airport info (BTW yes, there is a big new structure)

Where to find Red Horse Beer- go to the Philippines, girls are prettier and friendlier anyway, loads of the stuff there.

Patong is Dead - Sure to be on the next episode of The Walking Dead, the novelists there.

Where to buy a shorthaired kitten- I will end the monotony there, Jesus Christ OP help the local wat out and take a kitten abandoned there, sure to be a better mouser anyway.