Local police rounding up the foreigners

MaiChai

Last two weeks have had 3 visits from the local district police.

First visit i was told they were compiling a list of foreigners living in the local district. They had a piece of paper that they were compiling a list on, and it had the name of the other foreigner in the village so they had already visited him. Took a photo of me and my passport.

2nd visit was to ask how long i had been staying in my wifes house. Yes its her house and not mine. We said less than 30 days as we go on holiday sometimes. Actually we had been here since beginning of Dec last year but we do go away on holidays.

Today we were asked to visit district police station. Again photos of passport and me. Then policeman wrote up a statement saying i arrived in Thailand on the date in the passport and i was staying at my wifes house. Apparently i was the 5th foreigner to visit today. They apologised and said they needed to do this because of new law's that any foreigner living somewhere in thailand more than 30 days needs to register with local police. I asked them why they can't look in the immigration database. They said immigration would not let them access so they needed to compile their own list.

I dont live in Thailand. We live in the uk and i always get a non immigrant visa to visit thailand. This time got a single entry as we are only here for a couple of months.

Luckily we go back to the uk shortly as i wonder where this will go next.

In 20 years of visiting and staying in thailand i have never experienced this. Thus be prepared if the police come knocking.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Only two of you in the same village? I'm not sure that 'two' constitutes a list.

However, I take your point.

Next time they come knocking, have a fake beard and wig at the ready - that will totally eff them up. whistling.gif

Touch wood.....i have never had a visit from immigration, or the police. Never had any problem at immigration either, nothing that going and making another photo copy didn't cure. I have never bribed them, apart from paying 500 baht for a certificate of residency, but if you don't pay, you don't get.

Do you people steal cars, or rob banks or something?

A lot of people seem to get refused for this, and refused for that, because of missing paperwork, or worse, just having the wrong attitude. Think ahead, get what they want BEFORE going there, and be hassle free. cheers.

Khon kaen provence. Wont mention ampur. We are not in tourist area and most local people very honest.

So I have a chance of a visit?

I am in KK province uninterrupted since 2011.

Does it have to do with the fact that I did a TM30 reg. with my wife just after arriving?

Q: you are here on a single Non-O, so less than 90 days, no visit at the immigration office?

Immigration Police do not share info with the RTP & vice versa.

Kind of silly as immigration is part of the police organization.

Head of immigration police reports to head of RTP.

I assume it's more due to incompetence than secrecy.

Only two of you in the same village? I'm not sure that 'two' constitutes a list.

Next time they come knocking, have a fake beard and wig at the ready - that will totally eff them up. whistling.gif

If it's on file in a gov't office; one name would constitute a list.

And if there are 4 then they are obviously playing Bridge. Off to jail with them.

Yes some farangs in the boons are being visited by local cops. It all depends on whether or not your poo yai bahn has been asked to submit a list of foreigners living in his jurisdiction.

Your topic title is needlessly sensational - at least as things stand now.

Chill out, bro... have a beer and take a tip from your avatar, goo bpen jai yen.

... all be it a very short list.

Hey !!! This means you're on a Short List ! clap2.gif

Touch wood.....i have never had a visit from immigration, or the police. Never had any problem at immigration either, nothing that going and making another photo copy didn't cure. I have never bribed them, apart from paying 500 baht for a certificate of residency, but if you don't pay, you don't get.

A lot of people seem to get refused for this, and refused for that, because of missing paperwork, or worse, just having the wrong attitude. Think ahead, get what they want BEFORE going there, and be hassle free. cheers.

Well the problem with you analysis is that they never ask for the same information twice, simply because they don't know what they want or they can't remember what they made up the last time.

This type of activity is on the increase, the current political situation is the problem I am afraid.

Nuh, I reckon one name would constitute a register, but not a list.

i.e A register of all the certified rocket scientists in Thailand might contain one name.

Whereas, if there were ten rocket scientists in Thailand, then the register would have a list of ten names.

A list must have more than one item.

A register can be blank, have one, or many items.

Note: No offence is intended to all (any) Thai rocket scientists out there. I considered using Thai space cadets as an alternative but thought that would be too confusing.

Jesus Mary Mother of God, I must be bloody bored today, thankfully golf tomorrow and I can give TV a rest. thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

What about all those situations in Pattaya where the woman rotates through guys with them each spending three months or so a year living there but none of them knowing about each other.

The police will issue aliases for those 4 guys: Sucker #1, Sucker #2, Sucker #3, and Sucker #4.

Nuh, I reckon one name would constitute a register, but not a list.

i.e A register of all the certified rocket scientists in Thailand might contain one name.

Whereas, if there were ten rocket scientists in Thailand, then the register would have a list of ten names.

A list must have more than one item.

A register can be blank, have one, or many items.

Note: No offence is intended to all (any) Thai rocket scientists out there. I considered using Thai space cadets as an alternative but thought that would be too confusing.

Jesus Mary Mother of God, I must be bloody bored today, thankfully golf tomorrow and I can give TV a rest. thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

You can play 9 holes now, it's still light ! :)

whistling.gif How long have you been sleeping?

There has been a law for many years that requires any Thai with a foreigner living in their house to notify the local police of that foreigner living there within 24 hours of his or her arrival.

That includes foreigners with Thai spouses who live with their spouse.

The owner of the house needs to file a form with the local police.

it is true that in many areas the local police have simply paid no attention to this law in the past..

Now they are being told to pay attention by their higher-ups.

I would guess that is what is happening

Edited by IMA_FARANG

all these theories about immigration reporting to police, nonsense, its well known that all the paper is gathered together and sold to a paper recycler

the photos are just a bit more bulk, and the new business of photocopies of house owners id and book is just a bit more paper per foreigner, so they charge you to process the paper work and keep making money.

Also they found that if theyu make it wet paper it is heavier and they get a better price. This is why most rural offices will not go the computer way. photos also add to the weight.

Like you in 20 years I have never had a problem at immigration, either in Bangkok or Chiang Mai, it makes you wonder why some people end up on the police radar.

Like you in 20 years I have never had a problem at immigration, either in Bangkok or Chiang Mai, it makes you wonder why some people end up on the police radar.

It's probably because police in the boonies visiting one or two foreigners is a nice day out with expenses.

Whereas police in BK or CM visiting 100,000 foreigners would be a pain in the bum!

As most TV members know, i had a problem 6 years ago(Buriram prison).

I have never had a visit at my home from police or immigration.

Retirement extention up to date. Local police know me since my accident, pass our home, sometimes have a chat, but never anything else.

A lot depends on what your circumstances are, or how local police think about farangs.

I live here for 10 years, and married 9 of these, never have any migration cop coming,

but last week 3 of them visit me and my wife for the first time.

I live in Uthai Thani, I think only 4 farang live here

Edited by hellstens