Police close in on foreign gang murdering Spanish businessman

webfact

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't believe in the Easter Bunny or this story. I accept Occam's razor as a useful anslytic tool but this explanation is overly simplistic. 4million Baht is not a lot of money and it's not going to get you stitched up like this. There was major payback involved here and/or a message to someone still alive.

Bangkok police hunting for Spanish suspect in gruesome murder of David Bernat

262-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Bangkok police released photo of 36-year-old Spanish national who they strongly believed to have conspired with several other foreign nationals to kidnap and brutally kill a Spanish businessman David Bernat and to dismember his body and throw into the Chao Phraya river.

All immigration checkpoints across the country now has the photograph of the suspect identified by police as Mr Artur Princep Segarra displayed for watch as he might try to slip out of the country

The border checkpoint at Aranyaprathep was given special alert as he used to travel in and out recently.

Police said they gained glue of this suspect after a video camera captured him withdrawing cash at an ATM machine in Wang Noi district of Ayutthaya province yesterday.

Earlier the police gained evidence from the Spanish embassy of the disappearance of its citizen Mr David Barnet late last month. The embassy also produced his finger prints for examination if they matched with those of the dismembered body of foreigner found in the Chao Phraya river.

Forensic examination proved the finger prints of its citizen matched the finger prints of the dismembered body.

Police later searched Mr David’s residence where they found several bank books and found several transactions via internet banking to the account of Mr Artur Princep Segarra at the Kbank branch in Samui Island.

The suspect had used his bank card to withdraw cash from several ATM machines in Bangkok and at Rojana Industrial Park.

The latest withdrawal was made at Kbank ATM machine in Wang Noi yesterday.

Police also obtained a video clip showing the suspect walking with Thai girl believed working at night entertainment place and a foreigner on Sukhumvit Soi 4.

Police tracking his whereabout showed the suspect lived close to a boxing camp in Lardprao area.

The police also found that his visa expired since November 12 last year but he still stay in the country.

Police strongly believed he was involved in the kidnapping of Mr David for ransom, but still do not know why the kidnappers killed and dismembered his body after getting the money.

The latest transaction of money by the victim was over 100,000 US dollars from his Singapore account, a police officer said.

Mr David was found to enter the country for over 200 times during the past several years.

His latest trip to Thailand was on January 19 from Tehran on Mahan Air. His visa is valid until February 17.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/149727

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-02-05

Why would a "foreign" gang make him transfer the money to a Thai bank? It is not likely that his bank in Singapore would have his account in Thai Bhat, in fact they try to dissuade you from having the account in Baht.

Would seem more likely to me that his killers are home grown and not foreign. I could be wrong but foreigners would not want the money in a currency that is of little value elsewhere.

"The latest transaction of money by the victim was over 100,000 US dollars from his Singapore account, a police officer said."

and he did this by internet banking!?,

and no money laundering flags were raised!?,

and the recipient is pulling this sort of cash out of an ATM!?

DAILY ATM TRANSACTION LIMIT AT KASIKORN IS 40000 BAHT

Edited by Buddumber

''Police later searched Mr David’s residence where they found several bank books and found several transactions via internet banking to the account of Mr Artur Princep Segarra at the Kbank branch in Samui Island.''

The suspect had used his bank card to withdraw cash from several ATM machines in Bangkok and at Rojana Industrial Park.

Criminal mastermind? I think not.

48 hours? thanks for the warning.

"Yesterday he called a meeting with investigators and set a deadline of 48 hours for the capture of the suspects."

OK big boss, what we do now?

"He speculated that the suspects were still at large in the country and had planned their crime in every detail.

He also believed there was more than one suspect and they were well organized and had planned the crime in every detail."

good writing. so we are clear, in every detail? got it? ok.

Shouldn't be too difficult, if you look at the headline it seems he is currently being murdered - as in right now - so, if they get the finger out, might be able to catch them in the act.....

"The latest transaction of money by the victim was over 100,000 US dollars from his Singapore account, a police officer said."

I have transferred sums in the amount stated from Singapore to Thailand when the wife bought the house for example. The Singapore bank phoned me and asked questions before they would send the money. If they took the money out over the counter it would raise eyebrows in any Thai bank I am sure. When the wife bought the house we got a cashiers cheque, so I dont believe it was foreigners who did this. I would never say they couldnt or wouldnt but the way this report is presented it does not look typical of a foreign crime

DNA - which in the case of the police here means Do Nod in Agreement

Anyway, no Thai could do something like that. ..

"Anyway, no Thai could do something like that. ." Isn't this phrase getting a bit old? Do YOU have ANY original thoughts?

Yes I agree. How about admitting that we are totally incompetent, couldn't care less about foreign nationals and give ourselves a big pat on the back when we crack the case of course. That's more original and truthful don't you think?wink.png

So they have a named suspect - but where's the photo of the guy? Why not make it public?

Yes, the pictures are on TNN., one at immigration and the other at an ATM( in the latter he is trying to disguise by wearing glasses and a high collar shirt to cover what appears to be a tattoo of Angkor Wat). then again in a wanted poster

Edited by Prbkk

DNA - which in the case of the police here means Do Nod in Agreement

Anyway, no Thai could do something like that. ..

"Anyway, no Thai could do something like that. ." Isn't this phrase getting a bit old? Do YOU have ANY original thoughts?

Yes I agree. How about admitting that we are totally incompetent, couldn't care less about foreign nationals and give ourselves a big pat on the back when we crack the case of course. That's more original and truthful don't you think?wink.png

But they are going to have to blame someone?

I could do that on line in two squirts without so much as a ripple of interest from banking people

& my SCB ATM cards have a daily limit of 200,000 Baht each, would still take a bit of effort to milk out $100K worth

"...might be assisted by some locals." ??

Boy, they have sanitized that theory right quick.

From an earlier story and direct quote by Chief Investigator Police.Gen. Panya Maman:

We tend to believe there were Thai nationals involved since the murder was so outrageous.”

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1454582453&typecate=06&section=

Well I've read that article in Thai on The Daily News website and the Thai Rath website and from what I read Panya said he suspected the mastermind(s) are Spanish but Thais may have assisted in driving vehicles, taking out money from ATMs etc, nothing about saying Thais must be involved because it's so outrageous. He mentions it's a brutal murder which must have involved somewhere between 2 to 10 people.

If someone can send me a link in Thai where he says that I'd be grateful.

I don't believe in the Easter Bunny or this story. I accept Occam's razor as a useful anslytic tool but this explanation is overly simplistic. 4million Baht is not a lot of money and it's not going to get you stitched up like this. There was major payback involved here and/or a message to someone still alive.

But why don't you believe in the Easter bunny???

The girl in the photo from the last update, suggests that the police still do... Isn't that a bunny rabbit charade?

Personally, I'm waiting for the tattooed perp to be caught, so we can have another round of casting aspersions on what kind of people get tatts ???

Actually, you can go to the bank at any time and request a much higher limit if you want. I did.

I don't see how they have planned this in every detail?

1) they didn't bother adding weight to the body parts ensuring that they would not resurface

2) it looks like he was kidnapped whilst entering his condo. No cctv footage?

3) no cctv footage at the banks or ATMs?

Poor guy obviously didn't know about keying in his PIN code in reverse to alert authorities

RIP