Spanish murder suspect has fled Thailand, girlfriend claims

Jonathan Fairfield

Why do the Thai police have to rat out an informant - especially one who has no knowledge of any crime? Why do they even have to say what she told them or that she gave them pictures of him? Why do they have to show a picture of her in the news?

All they needed was the info she gave them because it has no further use to the system. Now she could be a target of him or cronies for what purpose?

Because she's worth more as a patsy for a plausible excuse to account for whoops there goes another rubber tree and in the process made herself an expendable commodity for a better reputation? Worldwide the way the cookie crumbles and why most pinches are the result of accidents from being in the wrong place at the right time with the ability to make it sound like the result of intense investigation while covering tracks..

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On Friday police said that Segarra had transferred and started to withdraw almost 37 million Baht from the Singaporean bank account belonging to the victim, David Bernat.

The withdrawals took place from various ATMs in Bangkok and Ayutthaya.

The reporter could have prevented all our speculative posts if he/she had written:

On Friday police said that Segarra had transferred almost 37 million Baht from the Singaporean bank account belonging to the victim, David Bernat.

Some withdrawals of an undisclosed amount took place from various ATMs in Bangkok and Ayutthaya.

37.000.000THB in cash isn't the jackpot any longer in SE-asia. 20 years ago it could buy you a fake identity and keeping u out of trouble but those days are long gone.

to be arrested soon if not found dead before coffee1.gif

lol, its still the ifetime earnings of about 6 people on Thai wages. If its not much, send that amount to me to prove your point.

neither you nor the runner is thai or asian. if he were asian-looking he could buy a burmese ID card for 500$ in muse, buy land, open a business and start a new life coffee1.gif

that amount is a lot to live here, yes, but not enough to "disappear" and buy freedom for a farang on the run.....................................

37.000.000THB in cash isn't the jackpot any longer in SE-asia. 20 years ago it could buy you a fake identity and keeping u out of trouble but those days are long gone.

to be arrested soon if not found dead before coffee1.gif

lol, its still the ifetime earnings of about 6 people on Thai wages. If its not much, send that amount to me to prove your point.

neither you nor the runner is thai or asian. if he were asian-looking he could buy a burmese ID card for 500$ in muse, buy land, open a business and start a new life coffee1.gif

that amount is a lot to live here, yes, but not enough to "disappear" and buy freedom for a farang on the run.....................................

The easiest way to "disappear" in Thailand is to be human rights lawyer or someone standing up for the rights of ethnic minorities or a Chinese dissident critical of Beijing. Not the kind of disappearance one would seek though.

Five pages of posts, and no one has mentioned that the police probably spooked/warned him by blabbing his identity to the news. His girlfriend claimed he disappeared right after the news report came on the television. If they had simply been tracking the withdrawal locations of the ATMs he used, they probably could have found him without spooking him, kept him in prison for a few weeks while siphoning off the funds, and finally reported that he had been captured after they finally depleted the funds.

Edited by FloridaExport

Five pages of posts, and no one has mentioned that the police probably spooked/warned him by blabbing his identity to the news. His girlfriend claimed he disappeared right after the news report came on the television. If they had simply been tracking the withdrawal locations of the ATMs he used, they probably could have found him without spooking him, kept him in prison for a few weeks while siphoning off the funds, and finally reported that he had been captured after they finally depleted the funds.

How do you know they haven't?

How do you know they haven't?

Good point. Anything is possible with this kind of score on the line.

How do you know he hasn't been found and eliminated, funds disperesed etc - and what you see now is smoke screen .... you know, we will make an arrest in 24 hrs, we know where he is, he has fled the country, etc. etc.

On Friday police said that Segarra had transferred and started to withdraw almost 37 million Baht from the Singaporean bank account belonging to the victim, David Bernat.

The reporter could have prevented all our speculative posts if he/she had written:

On Friday police said that Segarra had transferred almost 37 million Baht from the Singaporean bank account belonging to the victim, David Bernat.

Some withdrawals of an undisclosed amount took place from various ATMs in Bangkok and Ayutthaya.

What is your point - or can't you read Thanglish? Can't see how the grammar police would have made one bit of difference to proceedings ......

Use of a lot of ATM machines. He must have had a lot of accounts in different banks because if you were withdrawing the money from many ATM machines but from a single account it would be flagged. You have limits of how much per day can be withdrawn and 37 million is way over the limit.

Use of a lot of ATM machines. He must have had a lot of accounts in different banks because if you were withdrawing the money from many ATM machines but from a single account it would be flagged. You have limits of how much per day can be withdrawn and 37 million is way over the limit.

113 posts into the thread and you still did not read the OP. Started, again started, and once more started to withdraw money. Nowhere does it say he withdrew 37 mil with an ATM card.

Has there been any information on what Bernat's business was?

Seems a lot of cash to be stashed in a bank account.

He travelled a lot to Burma and Iran. Mmm...can't imagine the connection there whistling.gif

Although he seems a telecoms wizz...so maybe i'm imagining things.

https://th.linkedin.com/in/dbernatm

RAZZ

Edited by RAZZELL

totally agree with previous postings as to the cops giving out confidential information and photos of his girlfriend etc,i would say she could well be in some danger now, thanks to their utter stupidity, obviously there is more than one person involved in this crime, would not like to be in her shoes at this time.once again the old cliche "keystone cops" comes to mind

totally agree with previous postings as to the cops giving out confidential information and photos of his girlfriend etc,i would say she could well be in some danger now, thanks to their utter stupidity, obviously there is more than one person involved in this crime, would not like to be in her shoes at this time.once again the old cliche "keystone cops" comes to mind

So a foreigner who may of fled Thailand will come back to "silence" a witness? CSI indeed.

He will be found dead, any falang carrying obscene amounts of cash with Thai's knowing will not live long.

Especially in Cambodia. Corrupt police find him and millions of baht, he gets his karma quick and is disposed of by the police. 48 hours since his last sighting, a white man with distinct tattoos, strange there is no sighting, no reports, nothing from Cambodia.

Why do the Thai police have to rat out an informant - especially one who has no knowledge of any crime? Why do they even have to say what she told them or that she gave them pictures of him? Why do they have to show a picture of her in the news?

All they needed was the info she gave them because it has no further use to the system. Now she could be a target of him or cronies for what purpose?

I think their reasoning is pretty obvious.

It shows they are making progress in identifying and tracking the suspect.

It also makes the TV elite scramble about for new ways to complain about how poorly they do their jobs.

Will you be ready to be exposed as a witness in a murder case? What if the murderer knows that you gave vital information about them and turn against you? An enlighten person before giving such information will always ask for anonymity. I think you know this very well.

On Friday police said that Segarra had withdrawn almost 37 million Baht from the Singaporean bank account belonging to the victim, David Bernat.

37 million baht from various ATMs?! do ATMs have that much cash in them? isnt there a daily withdrawl limit on accounts to prevent such things happening?

Withdrawal limits are set by the account holder. Described as a "businessman" the victim may have set a very high limit. Which may also be indicitive of the motives for murder and (apparently) theft of ATM cards. And if there are several cards drawable on a Western Bank 37m is serious but not extrordinary funds.

The GF who presented is to be congratulated. because her info indicates that the original interest in Seggara as a suspect is valid.

So a foreigner who may of fled Thailand will come back to "silence" a witness? CSI indeed.

As reported in the rape and attempted murder, plus murder of boyfriend in upcountry Thailand, there was an attempt to get at the girl (witness) at the hospital... Obviously to silence her, so this does happen here, as in the rest of the world

And no, the main suspect would not return, but it seems everyone is in agreement that Thais were involved, one of these accomplishes would perhaps get to the girl and silence her

That said, all I read was that she had no idea of what had happened, prior to Friday's televised report, when the spaniard promptly did his disappearing act from Surin ( you can boat hop across to Malaysia from here), so she is no good as a prosecution witness, but maybe of use as a defense witness ( as in " I was with the accused the whole time and was unaware of any wrongdoing"), unless there was more said than was reported, which is often the case here.

As reported in the rape and attempted murder, plus murder of boyfriend in upcountry Thailand, there was an attempt to get at the girl (witness) at the hospital... Obviously to silence her, so this does happen here, as in the rest of the world

And no, the main suspect would not return, but it seems everyone is in agreement that Thais were involved, one of these accomplishes would perhaps get to the girl and silence her

That said, all I read was that she had no idea of what had happened, prior to Friday's televised report, when the spaniard promptly did his disappearing act from Surin ( you can boat hop across to Malaysia from here), so she is no good as a prosecution witness, but maybe of use as a defense witness ( as in " I was with the accused the whole time and was unaware of any wrongdoing"), unless there was more said than was reported, which is often the case here.

555 ' when the spaniard promptly did his disappearing act from Surin ( you can boat hop across to Malaysia from here) '- not that easy when the Surin referred to is a province in north-east Thailand.not the island in the south. never mind, as i said to you less is more!

Say this guy has the 37 million baht in a back pack. If each 1000 baht note weighs aprox 1 gram this would come to about 40 kilograms of weight. With jungle terrain to cross over to Cambodia of about 5 miles -10 miles of treking would take about slow walking pace, 4-8 hours. Now he was last seen on Friday night, so treking in the dark through jungle is difficult. So say he waited until first light, he would be in Cambodia around 12 noon, thirsty and his clothes dirty. With all his money in Thai baht he would need to barter for taxi rides or food, etc in this currency. Cambodian authorities should be able to track him down.

They don't say where "near the Cambodian border" the motorbike was found. If it was near a regular border crossing point he might have been able to find a money changer easily. I was astonished at how many there were in Penang -- I wouldn't have thought there was enough business to support more than three or four, but there seemed to be dozens. I thought there was a limit on ATM withdrawals of ฿50,000 a day -- across the whole ATM network. There used to be. So it would take him 20 days to withdraw ฿1 million.

Edited by Acharn

as said, that amount of money cannot keep this guy out of trouble. if he was riding without a helmet then yes, a few bath will help. chopping up people is different story. this is NOT cambodia from 20 years ago. he will be busted. and if he crossed the border illegally he will pay for that too (to the cambodians) thumbsup.gif

A Spanish website reports he was spotted by a Spanish couple who recognised him, having seen his photo the night before.

They were dining in a Spanish restaurant in Sihanoukville. Cambodian police arrested him.

Edited by kkerry

555 ' when the spaniard promptly did his disappearing act from Surin ( you can boat hop across to Malaysia from here) '- not that easy when the Surin referred to is a province in north-east Thailand.not the island in the south. never mind, as i said to you less is more!

Oops... That's a woopsy on my behalf, isn't it?

But those nine words in brackets make no difference to the main posting. However... yes ... In this case less would have been more.... Point made..... Nine words less, would have been good

And many thanks for pointing this out, without suggesting I had any ulterior motive or agenda ? There you go... A big thumbs up for you