New Thai charter allows freedom of expression in public with conditions

webfact

CDC’s Secretary-General: New charter allows freedom of expression in public with conditions

BANGKOK, 8 February 2016 (NNT) – The Secretary-General of the Constitution Drafting Commission has given an assurance that anyone can express their opinions at any public gathering although doing so is subject to some conditions.

CDC Secretary-General Pakorn Nilprapunt confirmed that, under the new Constitution, members of the public can always attend a gathering and express their opinions because that is a fundamental right enshrined in democratic rule.

However, Mr. Pakorn stated that such activity is acceptable as long as those present do not pose any threat to the country’s security, order and morality or affect other people’s well-being.

He added that public gatherings must always be within the limits declared in the new charter, which includes advance notification to related agencies.
,br> Mr. Pakorn went on to say that security officers will also be present to ensure the orderliness of the crowd, as stated in the Public Gatherings Act which was put into effect in 2015.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-02-08 footer_n.gif

The current libel and slanders laws have to be repealed before this self-serving trivial will have any meaning. I am curious about exactly what "affect another persons well being" means. Does it include calling people out regarding corruption, for instance? This spectacle reminds me of the grade school wrapping of the May Pole with bright and shiny strips of cloth and paper. It required many kids, each with their strip of paper, etc and they would weave in and out of one another, wrapping up the pole.

The problem here is that the people with the pieces do not understand that they have to fit together to create the desired result. So, they wander around with no apparent focus ending in a mess and then have to unravel the mess and hope no one is looking too hard.

That's how it's done in most countries these days. I would say fair enough but then again I know how selective these guys are rolleyes.gif

not sure I can agree with you.

However, Mr. Pakorn stated that such activity is acceptable as long as those present do not pose any threat to the country’s security, order and morality or affect other people’s well-being.

That is a huge loop-hole for the PTB to fart-gun any one and any group.

It's "freedom of expression" without freedom of speech....

This entire Charter fiasco really isn't fooling many.....with such bad press arising each day, it's almost certainly going to be a thumbs down.....which of course gives the junta more time at the helm.....again, which is what they want....the time may not be right in July '17

Democracy from the autocracy.

Serfs in the Middle Ages had more democracy than Thais under this charter.

And maybe that's the whole point of the junta-crafted charter - permanent rule by absolute power through the aristocrats.

No further coups needed to execute democratic societies.

"acceptable as long as those present do not pose any threat to the country’s security, order and morality or affect other people’s well-being."

Freedom of speech as long as don't say anything meaningful. And some wonder why Thai questions usually just "You like Thai food?" or "You like Thai lady?" with no follow up questions.

The uncertainty and fear of what one can actually safely say is the fatal flaw of this so-called freedom to "express their opinions at any public gathering."

Sure. You can say what you want as long as you say what they want to hear.

Edited by HerbalEd

You're kidding, right? Have things gotten that bad? Not in the US.

The US is even worse with their millennial and beyond PC culture of retards, getting people fired from their jobs because they didn't like a joke and so forth. Oh yea, everyone but the white straight male is oppressed too.

"any threat to the country’s security, order and morality or affect other people’s well-being."

A short list describing the transgressions of the armed thugs that staged a coup.

And installed a bunch of incompetent, archaic, repressiive autocrats.

Shove your conditions.

Those suits they've put themselves in are just camouflage. Don't forget their true colors:

post-206952-0-10631800-1454907495_thumb.

You're kidding, right? Have things gotten that bad? Not in the US.

The US is even worse with their millennial and beyond PC culture of retards, getting people fired from their jobs because they didn't like a joke and so forth. Oh yea, everyone but the white straight male is oppressed too.
The other night, there was a televised Republican debate. Nobody was arrested

I rest my case.

I rest my case.

You have no case to rest since you didn't make a case.

I was referring to losing your job first and foremost like Tim Hunt. But if you really need to see someone in prison for disagreement only, look up Gregory Allan Elliot, albeit that is Canada...still a recognized democrazy though.