• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cambodia to Hand Over Spanish Murder Suspect
By Sasiwan Mokkhasen
Staff Reporter

14549042001454904838l.jpg
A man identified as murder suspect Artur Segarra with Cambodia police in Sihanoukville province. Photo: Freshnewsasia.com

BANGKOK — Top police brass are flying to the border with Cambodia to retrieve the lead suspect in the murder and dismemberment of a Spanish man after he was arrested last night in Cambodia’s Sihanoukville province.

Cambodian police Sunday night arrested Artur Segarra, 36, the subject of a manhunt after being named Friday as the chief suspect in the murder of 39-year-old David Bernat, a telecom consultant whose remains started turning up Jan. 30 in Bangkok’s Chao Phraya River.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1454904200

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2016-02-08

So on the run he goes to one of the most popular tourist destinations in Cambodia to hide out....smart move. There's many places he could of laid low pretty much undected.

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

So you are saying he should have gone to a smaller town with less "farang"? A new farang just moving in - just as the alerts came out that he was on the run in Cambodia - would be the first things they checked. The first thing prisons did when escaping a prison in my area was move to the large city to get lost in a crowd. Being that cross-race identification tends to be more difficult - blending in with a bunch of farang in a tourist destination may not be as bad as you are indicating. Often people that are on the run give themselves up by acting suspiciously - like walking towards a police officer and the eyes darting away, or turning away / changing direction. Your guilt or fear of getting caught changes your behaviour. If he just changed his appearance a little and try to blend in - would not have been a bad tactic IMHO. Tourists are generally not up to date on who to watch out for and since compatriots would be a minority.... it is very possible he could have blended in. He just should not remain in the same tourist destination for too long - at least in the beginning.

True but I have a few ex pat friends that live there that used to live in Thailand and know all about what happens here seeing as it is a hub (lol). And I know that lots of ex pats here go to visit there. I have multiple times. I think he vastly increased the chances of getting recognised.

Going to a medium or smaller town would of deceased his chances. Rent a room somewhere a little out of the way and lay low.

Both methods have their pros and cons but heading to Sihanokville seemed desperate which I guess he is right now. Glad he's been caught too.

Edited by mrrizzla

So on the run he goes to one of the most popular tourist destinations in Cambodia to hide out....smart move. There's many places he could of laid low pretty much undected.

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

So you are saying he should have gone to a smaller town with less "farang"? A new farang just moving in - just as the alerts came out that he was on the run in Cambodia - would be the first things they checked. The first thing prisons did when escaping a prison in my area was move to the large city to get lost in a crowd. Being that cross-race identification tends to be more difficult - blending in with a bunch of farang in a tourist destination may not be as bad as you are indicating. Often people that are on the run give themselves up by acting suspiciously - like walking towards a police officer and the eyes darting away, or turning away / changing direction. Your guilt or fear of getting caught changes your behaviour. If he just changed his appearance a little and try to blend in - would not have been a bad tactic IMHO. Tourists are generally not up to date on who to watch out for and since compatriots would be a minority.... it is very possible he could have blended in. He just should not remain in the same tourist destination for too long - at least in the beginning.

Exactly! That is also why Thai criminals on the run often hide out in thai resort towns where a lot of people are coming and going,like Cha'am or Pattaya for example...

That was fast.

yeah amazingly fast... still boggles my mind why they have problems catching some of their own croonies.... Thaksin for example. He is the ghost that celebrates with Police and dignity and still slips through their fingers.

For once I can say of the RTP, good job.

He was arrested in Cambodia presumably by the police there after he was recognised by locals and is detained in Cambodia.

Good job by the Thai police ?

Even though in a month of Sunday's you'd never concede it, yes, a good job.

The investigation is a RTP one which established that he may be in Cambodia and they asked their counterparts there to assist. What more could they have done considering that they have no jurisdiction in Cambodia?

Without the Thai police investigation there would never be any reason for him to have been apprehended.

Edited by Scouse Twoccer

sihanoukville is one of the first places i would be looking into if i were a thai cop.

idiot.

From start to finish the criminal "mastermind'' has acted like an idiot.

Transferring the money to an account in his name was moronic in the extreme.

How not to commit The Perfect Crime:

- get distinctive tattoo on neck

- use your own bank accounts

- throw floatable body parts in major river

- avoid disguises

- smile ! for ATM camera

- getaway on own scooter

- abandon scooter close to border

- head for obvious tourist spot

- eat in restaurant

Edited by phoenixdoglover

That was fast.

yeah amazingly fast... still boggles my mind why they have problems catching some of their own croonies.... Thaksin for example. He is the ghost that celebrates with Police and dignity and still slips through their fingers.

Can't compare it to Mr T, he is in a safe haven.

Maybe this clown had the same intentions, to go there eventually.

ATM and criminal investigations. Could be. Linked. ATM Cameras and fraud investigations tell the Police what to do. As the police are to interested in Karaoke and tea money.Cambodia Thailand are no different

Pay peanuts get monkeys.

"Pay peanuts get monkeys."

...and catch criminals, despite your derision.

Never mind all that, where is the money??? wink.png

Also the photo looks like he has just signed for Bangkok Hilton United, well done that man. clap2.gifclap2.gif

Ah yes LotusBoy you finally asked the 64,000 dollar plus question. I am rather surprised that some of the earlier posts did not latch onto this question. Has the money done a Houdini? Sorry he had no money in his possession. Looks like the BIB could miss out on a big payday. Are their Cambodian brethren of a sharing nature hmm.

< snip>Artur dressed in sports jacket, a blue Jean, wearing a dark glass and a sports shoe.<snip>

He was in a guy named Jean ( who seems to see pink elephants), wore one dark glass and only one sports shoe?

That was really easy to find him. thumbsup.gif

He was arrested in Cambodia presumably by the police there after he was recognised by locals and is detained in Cambodia.

The investigation is a RTP one which established that he may be in Cambodia and they asked their counterparts there to assist. What more could they have done considering that they have no jurisdiction in Cambodia?

Without the Thai police investigation there would never be any reason for him to have been apprehended.

They established he was in Cambodia and informed the authorities there.

The simplest of what should be normal procedure.

Why have you amended my post by adding the last sentence and then quoted it?

Me suspects they were both up to no good...and now one is dead and the other is maybe gonna face justice (you never know in thailand). One hood rubs out the other...I really couldnt care. These two werent choir-boys. People dont start their criminal careers by murdering and dismembering someone...whoever did this has been doing bad shize for a long time. The tats up to the neck on the one fella pretty much confirms it.

I suspect that this guy is going to spend a long long time in the Bangkok Hilton. It must by all accounts be horrendous in that place so it beggars belief that consequences and sentences will minimise the crimes. This being the case, the death penalty is the only guarantee to reduce or in this case eliminate recidivism.

I am sure that we are all aware that as there is no crime here against Thai, the full force of sentencing will apply.

Not yet found guilty but I bet there is not much chance they have missed their mark.

Well if he pleads guilty his sentence could be cut in half. If he provides a treasure map if he was not carrying the money hmm things could prove interesting.

Never mind all that, where is the money??? wink.png

Also the photo looks like he has just signed for Bangkok Hilton United, well done that man. clap2.gifclap2.gif

Ah yes LotusBoy you finally asked the 64,000 dollar plus question. I am rather surprised that some of the earlier posts did not latch onto this question. Has the money done a Houdini? Sorry he had no money in his possession. Looks like the BIB could miss out on a big payday. Are their Cambodian brethren of a sharing nature hmm.

It is probably in the bank, just like it said in the original report.

Edited by Scouse Twoccer

I am glad he has been arrested I thought there might have been problems getting him out of Cambodia , there does appear to be a difference in the photos could be he has lost weight .

the photo difference is likely due to aspect ratio

For once I can say of the RTP, good job.

On the surface, I do must give credit where credit seems due to the RTP. Stand tall men and take the rest of the day off for some beer and somtam.

Yeah great job, let him out of the country and leave it to the Cambodian police to take care of. LOL

all too quick.. my bet is he used a card at ATM in Cambodia.. that triggered an alert and gave his destination away.......never can understand why these folks who do these crimes dont have a better plan that gives them more time before the crime is discovered and have a defined escape plan that doesn't lay out a trail of breadcrumbs for the authorities to follow......he will no doubt have time to reflect on this over the next decade or so

Yes I agree. Cutting the body up was rather stupid it just magnified by 7 or so the chances of being caught. Better to buy a shovel and take him out to the middle of no where and bury him. Having a g/f just magnifies your chances of being caught. Moral of the story crime and the other C word just don't mix. Rank amateur.

Criminal activity, a hard way to make an easy living. He is really going to understand that concept now.

Crime pays for some and not for others. This guy was not a sophisticated criminal. It takes years to build up a good criminal base before the big paydays arrive. I am sure it is all around us its just that we do not travel in those circles.

At the risk of being ridiculed on this forum, I have to say that the Thai police did an excellent job on this case so far.

So far, I cannot fault them on this case.... Thai police are like broken clocks - they might be wrong a lot of the time but a couple of times a day they will be right :P

Said Dudley Do-Right.

Now, the RTP can breathe a sigh of relief...

Yeah great job, let him out of the country and leave it to the Cambodian police to take care of. LOL

It was impossible for the police, of any country, to stop a guy who had the time advantage and crossed on foot

through unmanned forest paths. Just check out what happened with the mastermind of the Paris bombings,

to name one example.

The Cambodian police didn't find the guy, it was two foreigners. And no one, neither those two

nor the Cambodian police, would have had any clue if the Thai police hadn't connected all the dots first.

So a big hand for those two in the restaurant, a nod for the Cambodian police who did what was expected,

and a respect for the Thai police - at least in this one case.

They established he was in Cambodia and informed the authorities there.

The simplest of what should be normal procedure.

Why have you amended my post by adding the last sentence and then quoted it?

Calm down, sometimes, a post can accidentally be placed in the same box as the quoted one.

Done it many times myself.

The latest Cambodia picture and the orignial ATM picture are so different, I don't think I would have recognised him unless he'd told me he was Spanish and on the run.

Well done Cambodian police, it's the 1st time hear that they actually do some work. There must have been the promise of a big reward.

Money honey its all about the money. The money as the old saying goes like honey draws many flies. I get the feeling that the money just "disappeared" into thin air never to be seen again.

At the risk of being ridiculed on this forum, I have to say that the Thai police did an excellent job on this case so far.

You're not alone , the Thai bashers will use any opportunity , even if the case looks clear.

Both RTP and the Cambodian police has been doing their part to solve this terrible murder.