How does it work with renting farm land?

CLW

Excuse my missing knowledge, but how does it work if I want to rent farmland?

Is it from private owners, how to know who owns which part?

Or is it also common to rent from the government or organisations like SRT, EGAT, etc...?

Or I go to some government office and they can show me which land for rent?

Thank you!

You can rent land, but does it make economical sense ,if you have all your own equipment ,tractors ,ploughs ,drills etc. ,yes it can be done and you might make some money.

We use to rent ,land then it was 600 Bart/ rie ,2 crops of maize a year 300 Bart/ crop/ rie ,we had no equipment ,only a small tractor and a set of harrows ,use to get a tractor in to do 3 disc ploughing ,then I use to prepare the seed bed ,and we hauled the corn to the local buyer ourselves ,when we had one , we did ok .

Then came along sugar cain and cassava ,rents doubled ,no way could we make anything , just growing maize ,could not afford any more equipment ,for the land only 17 rie ,to small an area to invest in ,no chance to rent any more in the area , and then we had to haul maize 16 km ,had to get a bigger tractor to do the job, another cost .

Round here a 25 rie block of land is now 30 000 Bart/year ,farmers are renting at that price ,all have they own equipment .

May be 1-3 rie to grow a few veggies on ,any more ,can not see it paying .

You can rent land, but does it make economical sense ,if you have all your own equipment ,tractors ,ploughs ,drills etc. ,yes it can be done and you might make some money.

We use to rent ,land then it was 600 Bart/ rie ,2 crops of maize a year 300 Bart/ crop/ rie ,we had no equipment ,only a small tractor and a set of harrows ,use to get a tractor in to do 3 disc ploughing ,then I use to prepare the seed bed ,and we hauled the corn to the local buyer ourselves ,when we had one , we did ok .

Then came along sugar cain and cassava ,rents doubled ,no way could we make anything , just growing maize ,could not afford any more equipment ,for the land only 17 rie ,to small an area to invest in ,no chance to rent any more in the area , and then we had to haul maize 16 km ,had to get a bigger tractor to do the job, another cost .

Round here a 25 rie block of land is now 30 000 Bart/year ,farmers are renting at that price ,all have they own equipment .

May be 1-3 rie to grow a few veggies on ,any more ,can not see it paying .

Good points! Thank you

Good replies. Interesting subject.

My Thai son-in-law is a final year law student, and my step-daughter a paralegal administrative assistant, so I asked them this question, if a foreigner can rent farm land. His initial reply was what I expected, that a foreigner can rent land, without a Thai partner, just like he/she can rent a house. But it's how you use the land that will be an issue. A foreigner cannot be a commercial farmer, he can only grow for his/her own consumption, and even that might come into question.

That's not the final word, just a best guess opinion based on his studies. I've asked him to inquire with his professors for the details.

I both rent land and rent out land.

Best done between people you know and trust.

Charges vary depending on purpose and productivity.

1500 B per rai is a starting figure for a decent agricultural property.

Not for beginners, make sure you have a clear business plan and your landlord is a reputable person or you find yourself thrown out after improving his property.

No government involvement but for long term rentals you will need to register at various agencies in order to qualify for subsidies etc.

Obviously, all strictly via a Thai citizen

Edited by soidog2

In what area are you looking to rent land? Pm me if you do not wish to make a public post

It's more general interest. Gf's family has some land in Prachuap Province but it's already occupied with rubber.

In what area are you looking to rent land? Pm me if you do not wish to make a public post

It's more general interest. Gf's family has some land in Prachuap Province but it's already occupied with rubber.

No money there! It seems that every farming scheme that comes up is only to benefit the people selling the seeds or saplings or whatever! Typical. facepalm.gifthumbsup.gifwai.gif

....you will find out...nothing here is for us...or our convenience....

...never felt it more than this year......

...been in court too....forget the 50/50 rule.....

...the shocking reality of it all......

...'stranger in a strange land'.....

...never mind how much you put in....or how good your intentions are......

You can rent for a part in the yield (in Surin area often 2/9th), or a fixed fee per rai – depending on location and quality of land (water access etc.), the rent is between 700 baht/rai and up to around 1500 baht/rai in Surin area (fees may be different in other areas/provinces).

smile.png

Edited by khunPer

If i was to rent land out,price would be the last thing on my mind.

Finding someone who would put more back into the soil than take out would be the challenge.

Around here the only land rented out is normally new land not cleared properly and an agreement is made on clearing it for x amount

of years use for free.

You can rent for a part in the yield (in Surin area often 2/9th), or a fixed fee per rai depending on location and quality of land (water access etc.), the rent is between 700 baht/rai and up to around 1500 baht/rai in Surin area (fees may be different in other areas/provinces).

smile.png

I've heard that around 30km east of Ubon city the land rent ranges from 500 - 1,500 baht/rai/year - similar to Surin.

I've never heard of renting land from the Government in Thailand; only in neighboring "communist" Laos.

We rent some for 1000/year but paid 10years up front for it. Varies from place to place I think. Got a bit of paper witnessed by the poo yai ban.

Renting is better than buying land for say 30k/rai. We hire all equipment and invest about 7k/rai over a 2 year period and make a good profit.

People rent out orchards here all the time, per year usually, pay some up front, maybe 50% and then the rest half way through if more than one year. One year is usually up front. Never heard of any government involvement. The trick is to rent at a price where you can make a profit. I have done it and made a good profit 3 years out of 5, now I have rented mine out at 25% but that is family rate. I have heard of renters making ridiculous deals not sure whether it is true or not, but likewise I have been offered rentals at prices where blind dumb and stupid Freddie would realise you couldn't make a profit.

I have an open mind about it, but one observation is this, the renter usually does not make the same sort of long term investment such as maybe a new dam as trees get bigger they need more water. Also rented orchards seem to me to be in worse conditions both trees and infrastructure