what route would the chinese cars here now have used?

wrbc

You can't go the other way? Meaning a Thai registered car is not allowed into China? How about Laos?

You can go into Laos with a Thai car, you need a car "passport" that can be applied for at Hang Dong where you do driving license renewal etc.

Further the blue car book needs to be in your own name, so no rentals or cars that are bought on credit can enter Laos.

At the Laos side of the border you need to register your car, and it will be stamped in.

You need to buy a Laos insurance there as well.

About entering China, I don't know, never done it, don't think it's possible.

Edited by kalbo123

Coming from the area of Kunming, China they cross into Boten, Laos. A relatively new highway, less than 10 years old (Laos Hwy 3), leads south about 220km to Huay Xai, Laos. They cross the new Friendship Bridge entering Thailand at Chiang Khong. It's about a 5 hour drive from there to Chiang Mai via Chiang Rai and Hwy 118. Not that far really. It's a very popular route for motorcyclists entering and touring Laos (can't enter China).

Edit: Also Kalbo123, post #5, is correct. I have made the trip many times by both car and motorcycle, including before the highway was built.

Edited by silverhawk_usa

A Thai-registered car/truck/motorcycle cannot enter China. I've been told there are exceptions (If you have a special reason to take your vehicle into China, per-screening is available at the Chinese Embassy in Bangkok) but never heard of anyone actually able to do it. We got to the border and were very politely told we could not enter and told to rent a Chinese car and driver. This was at Boten.

Reciprocity.

Why isn't our Happiness Government telling the Chicoms to either open up to Thai-registered vehicles or close the border to them coming here? Period.

Why? This is a winning situation for Thailand. The Friendship Bridge in Chiang Khong and the Lao highway were specifically built to increase trade and tourism from China. The Chinese traveling here buy car are generally well to do and not cheap package tourists. They are spending a lot of cash. Many if not most of the cars are luxury class vehicles. I saw a Bentley Continental at Rim Ping with Chinese plates. Chinese are pouring in by the thousands and spending cash, the Thais can't leave and spend there tourist dollars in China. Win/Win for Thailand.

Before this topic goes in crazy directions; The OP question was "What route are they taking". Asked and answered. :)

Edited by silverhawk_usa

Reciprocity.

Why isn't our Happiness Government telling the Chicoms to either open up to Thai-registered vehicles or close the border to them coming here? Period.

Why? This is a winning situation for Thailand. The Friendship Bridge in Chiang Khong and the Lao highway were specifically built to increase trade and tourism from China. The Chinese traveling here buy car are generally well to do and not cheap package tourists. They are spending a lot of cash. Many if not most of the cars are luxury class vehicles. I saw a Bentley Continental at Rim Ping with Chinese plates. Chinese are pouring in by the thousands and spending cash, the Thais can't leave and spend there tourist dollars in China. Win/Win for Thailand.

Before this topic goes in crazy directions; The OP question was "What route are they taking". Asked and answered. smile.png

was behind that Bentley last night,with a jag xj6 behind me,must be some money in that china.

The Chinese traveling here buy car are generally well to do and not cheap package tourists. They are spending a lot of cash. Many if not most of the cars are luxury class vehicles. I saw a Bentley Continental at Rim Ping with Chinese plates.

Yeah, I was behind a Land Rover Ev.. .. Oh, wait.

post-64232-0-21392200-1455118010_thumb.j

Compare:

Range-Rover-Evoque-008.jpg

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Same same but different.

To Silver Hawk - Endless money coming in through exports and tourism, and little money going out through foreign travel and imports, results, over time, in a strengthening of the Baht. This make Thai exports less attractive, and Thailand a worse place to visit.

We are seeing this now, the end is the collapse of the economy, which we are also seeing now. In order to maintain healthy growth, money leaving the country neds to equal money entering the country. Very simple economics.

You can take Motorbikes into China my mate has done 2 tours on his motorbike already all over China so it is allowed with the right paperwork

Yes, cars also IF you are with an organized tour, have permits, Chinese guide, and a lot of other paperwork and preparation. I have done the same with my motorcycle in Myanmar and Vietnam but not China, It took more than 3 months of paperwork.

There are exceptions to everything. But I think the general conversation in this post is about a person rolling up to the border on their own without all the advance red tape. Then it is not possible.

Thanks for the images, Winnie.

The Chinese character before the 'E' on the red Land Wind / Range Rover is 'Yun', or 'cloud' - the first half of 'Yunnan' or 'South of the clouds'. Vehicles with this symbol originate in and are registered in Yunnan.

Reciprocity.

Perhaps with Thailand apparently becoming China's new Special Administrative Region (SAR), different rules apply?

The Chinese traveling here buy car are generally well to do and not cheap package tourists. They are spending a lot of cash. Many if not most of the cars are luxury class vehicles. I saw a Bentley Continental at Rim Ping with Chinese plates.

Yeah, I was behind a Land Rover Ev.. .. Oh, wait.

attachicon.gif20160210_201609.jpg

Compare:

Range-Rover-Evoque-008.jpg

Don't even start! A few years ago Korean high spec saloons were completely derivitive of Mercedes. Even now I think Mazda is aping BMW styling in a blatant way.

By the way how do previous posters dare contradict the "Chinese tourists don't spend money in Thailand" rubbish orthodoxy?

• 2 months later...

From May 23rd onwards, Chinese cars will effectively be gone from Thai roads. They will require 10 days advance notice to enter through a Thai based tourism operator, drivers licences, a picture of the car, registration and travel itineraries will need to be submitted with the application. An entry fee of 500 Baht will be payable, plus another 500 for a special number plate to be placed in the car during the stay.

Authorisation to drive will only be for the border province entered and must return back the same way the car entered.

No more motorhomes will be allowed to enter at all, while the entry of motorcycles is a bit vague. Most reports now suggest they will be banned, while at least one of the most recent updates suggest they can enter, for a fee of 200 + 1000 Baht = 1200 but will again be restricted to the border province entered.

Finally these blue plate menaces will soon be gone from Thai roads. Apart from the congestion, accidents etc. I think the Thais finally realized the hypocricy that is Thai-Chinese relations, with Chinese vehicles being allowed in but not the other way is unfair and can no longer be tolerated.

​Chinese people should be renting Thai plated cars with drivers or getting on tour buses, not driving themselves here. They are not familiar with the road rules and conditions and a lot of local Thais, especially in Chiang Mai and other northern provinces are quite fed up with all these blue plates.

A Thai-registered car/truck/motorcycle cannot enter China. I've been told there are exceptions (If you have a special reason to take your vehicle into China, per-screening is available at the Chinese Embassy in Bangkok) but never heard of anyone actually able to do it. We got to the border and were very politely told we could not enter and told to rent a Chinese car and driver. This was at Boten.

My buddies are in a group riding not only into china now.. but out to tibet where the Chinese are a bit touchy about it..

Last year they did China Mongolia Russia..

Reciprocity.

Before this topic goes in crazy directions; The OP question was "What route are they taking". Asked and answered. smile.png

Actually it's a lose-lose situation for Thailand hence why the Land Transport Department in co-operation with related agencies has now decided to put a stop to all this madness once and for all. The Happiness government has therefore spoken. However, why did it take them almost 2 years? This emerging problem has already been increasing every year and it's only now due to an increasing amount of bad driving, inappropriate parking, accidents and social media attention that has finally made this a national priority.

​Chinese cars bring increased congestion, environmental pollution, accidents and especially the campervans don't stay at hotels so the income they bring in is minimal.

Therefore, Chinese RVs and campervans will be stopped from coming, all other vehicle types (cars, pickup trucks and motorcycles) will require advance permission made through a Thai tourism operator with complete documents submitted in advance, a temporary driver's licence needs to be applied for on arrival since Chinese driver's licences are invalid for driving outside of China given China didn't sign the 1949 convention on international road traffic and a 1 hour traffic orientation and third party insurance, with 1 million Baht minimum coverage will be required. After all that, driving will be restricted to the border province entered, i.e. Chiang Rai. Therefore, Chiang Mai will soon be free of Chinese cars since Chiang Mai is not a border province with Laos and therefore it's not possible to drive into Chiang Mai directly from a neighboring country without passing through Chiang Rai first.

Route R3A between Chiang Khong/Huay Xai and Boten was built to increase TRADE between Thailand and China, not so much tourism. The Chinese have simply taken advantage of that, but as the head of the Land Transport Department said recently and I quote: "Chinese tourists like to drive into Thailand. That will NOT happen anymore in the future."

Looks like the Chinese will in the near future (starting late next month) only be coming by plane, as they should be, and getting on tour buses once they're here.

Seen a Chinese motor bike the other day,big panniers on the sides.they are

allowed into Thailand,but you cannot go the other way.

regards Worgeordie

Well starting May 23rd (or early June at the latest), they will effectively not be allowed into Thailand anymore. Also, no Chinese vehicles will be allowed into Chiang Mai province, since the new regulations will only allow driving inside the border province entered.

There is also some confusion as to whether motorcycles will be allowed in at all - most reports say that they will be banned altogether along with motorhomes, others suggest that along with cars and pickup trucks they will need advance permission, submission of travel itineraries etc. and then will need to pay an entry fee of 1200 Baht. Not sure who's right but it will all become clearer in the next few weeks. In the meantime, the Thai Department of Land Transport has all the new requirements up on its website and Facebook page (in Thai).

Seen a Chinese motor bike the other day,big panniers on the sides.they are

allowed into Thailand,but you cannot go the other way.

regards Worgeordie

I saw 3 a few weeks ago .New BMW bikes with yellow plates from Shanghai .The 3 Chinese lads were having a coffee outside big wing Honda near the Thape gate .

Looks like the Chinese will in the near future (starting late next month) only be coming by plane, as they should be, and getting on tour buses once they're here.

You mean just like you get on a tour bus once you arrive? ;)

Most people travel independently so they'd just grab a taxi, songthaew, or rent a car.

(which, incidentally, is why a ban on cars is silly when you can just rent one.)

You mean just like you get on a tour bus once you arrive? wink.png

Most people travel independently so they'd just grab a taxi, songthaew, or rent a car.

(which, incidentally, is why a ban on cars is silly when you can just rent one.)

Most Chinese travel in groups as you probably would have noticed so they'll be getting on a bus.

Those few that travel independently will be getting in a taxi or Songthaew, which is fine by me. Like everyone else, I'll be glad not to see those <deleted> blue plates anymore.