Can a foreigner get an international drivers license from Thai DMV

krey

I was curious

I been traveling around for quite some time now, not just Thailand. My driver's license in my home country expired last year. However, I do have the Thai Driver's license for both car and bike.. Can I go to the Thai DMV and get an international driver's license using my Thai License to use in other countries and if so does anyone know the process in Chiang Mai

thanks

Edited by krey

Yes they can get an International drivers license.

2nd floor Hangdong - Hod rd. See information desk. First counter on the right deals with Farangs. Very polite and speaks good English.

Need photo, sorry can't remember size. They have a photo place there

Proof of residence.

Copy passport - photo page

no medical required

If driving in Australia you can use the Thai licence as it is in English. Other places I am not sure.

I got mine this year, I think you need the proper 5 year licence and then its quite easy in Chiang Mai.

You will need your proof of residence, unless you have a work permit of tabien ban that will mean a residence letter from immigration or embassy/consulate.

However, I must say that in my travels I have not needed an IDP in Australia,USA, UK or anywhere in SE Asia when using my Thai licence. In fact the only country I ever needed the IDP was Japan, other countries seem happy that the Thai licence has everything of interest in English except your address which is only written in Thai on the licence.

Edited by technologybytes

If one can drive in Thailand with a valid drivers license from his home country ( license agreement 1949 and

1968 between Thailand and other countries) why is it nesasary to

spend the time and money to

get a one or five yr Thai drivers license?

" Using a Foreign Driving Licence in Thailand

Information on who can drive on a foreign driver's licence, and for how long, and when, where and how to get a Thai licence issued for use in Thailand...

To drive or lease a car in Thailand as a tourist or visitor it is necessary to have either a Thai driving licence or a valid foreign driving licence with a photograph. The foreign licence must either be in English, or be accompanied by an official translation into English or Thai. The licence needs to have been issued by a country that has a treaty with the Thai government allowing the mutual acceptance of driving licences. Most countries, including Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the UK and the USA have this agreement with Thailand under the 1949 Geneva Convention on Road Traffic or the 1968 Vienna Convention on Road Traffic. Those in doubt should contact their embassy for advice."

Yer I got one last year--Udon Thani --it's from same office as your normal licence , -----(as my Thai licence was also running out for some reason they did not want it to expire before the international one --so they renewed that one early also)--I had let my Oz licence lapse but no problem hiring a car in Oz with it............................coffee1.gif

If one can drive in Thailand with a valid drivers license from his home country ( license agreement 1949 and

Information on who can drive on a foreign driver's licence, and for how long, and when, where and how to get a Thai licence issued for use in Thailand...

To drive or lease a car in Thailand as a tourist or visitor it is necessary to have either a Thai driving licence or a valid foreign driving licence with a photograph. The foreign licence must either be in English, or be accompanied by an official translation into English or Thai. The licence needs to have been issued by a country that has a treaty with the Thai government allowing the mutual acceptance of driving licences. Most countries, including Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the UK and the USA have this agreement with Thailand under the 1949 Geneva Convention on Road Traffic or the 1968 Vienna Convention on Road Traffic. Those in doubt should contact their embassy for advice."

To drive around Nai Harn in Phuket where the local pigs ( with 2 aged English 'helpers' ) are fining anyone without Thai license or IDP's marked according to the vehicle they are driving/riding.

Like every country who is part of the agreements, you are only allowed to use your home country DL + international permit (where required) for either 60 or 90 days, depending on the country.

To drive around Nai Harn in Phuket where the local pigs ( with 2 aged English 'helpers' ) are fining anyone without Thai license or IDP's marked according to the vehicle they are driving/riding.

Yes, there are many stories similar to this and not just in Thailand. If you are charged/ ticketed for something that the officer has enforced incorrectly, then you will have to prove this (yes, it's very inconvenient I know). Most people are not sure or don't bother and just pay the fine for small matters, which is what authorities prefer. A similar post is running in the Samui forum where the op had an issue in Spain.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/892504-need-to-hire-lawyer-in-samui-to-go-to-suratthani-to-get-international-drivers-permit-for-me/

Because if you have been in Thailand for more than 90 days (hint if you have to make a 90 day report) you are no longer a "tourist or visitor " so your IDP + foreign license is no longer legal to drive here. It makes no difference that the license and IDP are still valid, it is illegal to drive with them.

The RTP may not enforce the law, you may get away with not being legal, or you may have to pay a fine either with or without paperwork.

If however you have been in Thailand for less than 90 days you have no need to get a Thai license, though it can be useful to have one.

Thai IDPs available for those with the full 5 year license.

The 1 years are a more restricted (sort of like a provisional or new driver) license and cannot be issued on them..

The 'provisional' licence is valid for 2 years.

Neither Avis, Hertz nor Sixt would rent a vehicle to me without an IDP.

Now, that I have a 2 year Thai licence, police checkpoints never go beyond a quick check of the Thai licence, a question on where I'm heading and (very rarely) a flash of a copy of the vehicle's blue book.

The 'cost and effort' in obtaining the correct driving credentials pales into comparison when driving around 'under-the-radar', being hit up for fines and the resulting time lost when arguing the toss over what some licence agreement may state.

• 3 months later...

Got my Thai-based IDL today at Chiang Mai. Very easy and quick all for 505 baht.

Passport: Copy of page & visa

Yellow book or Immigration signed residency form: Copy

Driving Licence (Thai 5 years): Copy both sides

2 Photographs

Walk to the front desk on floor 2. See the nice young lady who gives you a simple form to fill out.

Hand her all the paper with originals too and the form.

She'll give you a cue number.

I was 523 whilst 531 was being dealt with.

Waited 5 minutes.

The guy at the desk checks all the paper & then you pay him the cash.

He gives yuo a form/receipt and you come back the following day to pick up.

Easy peasy.

Got my Thai-based IDL today at Chiang Mai. Very easy and quick all for 505 baht.

2 Photographs

Walk to the front desk on floor 2. See the nice young lady who gives you a simple form to fill out.

Waited 5 minutes.

Easy peasy.

Thanks.

Question: I have 2 thai DL, one for scooter and one for car. Will the Thai-issued IDL cover both, or only one or the other?

2 Photographs

Waited 5 minutes.

Easy peasy.

Went in at 3pm today and did it all within 10 minutes

As for the form that was given to me at the info desk I asked if I should fill it in first before I move on to the next desk, she said no just go to the lady first, so went there and the lady just filled out the form for me and I just had to sign it :)

I am applying for both Bike and Car and can confirm that you can get both for no extra charge, just the 505 Baht as mentioned above

Very smooth process, though probably not requested a lot, which is probably why it goes faster then other requests

pick it up tomorrow

• 7 months later...

Wow! Am visiting the states after residing in Chiang Mai 12 years. Expedia refused to rent me their $60 car because I have no valid USA driver's license, only the Thai five year (of course, my USA license expired long ago). But I told her the Internet (Hertz, etc...) told me the Thai license was good for rentals being it's in both Thai and English. No rent. So, I called rentalcars dot com and was told the Thai license was FINE, but it wouldn't hurt to have the IDP. I see the same thing repeated often, so I looked into getting the IDP. The latest info before this goes back several years and the discussion boils down to getting the residency certificate at Immigration which is THEN required for the IDP at the MVD. Here it looks as if all you need to do is go to the MVD with proof of residence. I'm reluctant to take on two trips with 2 copies of the passport and 3 photos, 500 baht for each place, and am having trouble keeping it all straight. I also need to get a re entry form. I'm just wondering if all I have to do is go to the MVD with the yellow book. That's what it sounds like we're saying here.  That wouldn't be difficult at all. Anybody concur with this? Guess I could give it a try.   

I have had multiple IDPs but not in the last 3 years.. 

Yes a residence proof is required but the standard situation is any of 4 things can suffice, the yellow book being one. 

You do need a 5 year Thai DL not the 1 year. 

As ever with Thailand, I wouldnt bet the farm in it but I would be fairly confident that you will get an 12 months IDP with your current licenses and a yellow book without a immigration cert. 

19 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

I have had multiple IDPs but not in the last 3 years.. 

Yes a residence proof is required but the standard situation is any of 4 things can suffice, the yellow book being one. 

You do need a 5 year Thai DL not the 1 year. 

As ever with Thailand, I wouldnt bet the farm in it but I would be fairly confident that you will get an 12 months IDP with your current licenses and a yellow book without a immigration cert. 

Not sure I understand you entirely. I need only go to the DMV with a yellow book (and a copy of it, I suppose). There's no need to get the residence cert first from Immigration, what a pain. ?  Is that right? 

Edited by cusanus
clarity

31 minutes ago, cusanus said:

Wow! Am visiting the states after residing in Chiang Mai 12 years. Expedia refused to rent me their $60 car because I have no valid USA driver's license, only the Thai five year (of course, my USA license expired long ago). But I told her the Internet (Hertz, etc...) told me the Thai license was good for rentals being it's in both Thai and English. No rent. So, I called rentalcars dot com and was told the Thai license was FINE, but it wouldn't hurt to have the IDP. I see the same thing repeated often, so I looked into getting the IDP. The latest info before this goes back several years and the discussion boils down to getting the residency certificate at Immigration which is THEN required for the IDP at the MVD. Here it looks as if all you need to do is go to the MVD with proof of residence. I'm reluctant to take on two trips with 2 copies of the passport and 3 photos, 500 baht for each place, and am having trouble keeping it all straight. I also need to get a re entry form. I'm just wondering if all I have to do is go to the MVD with the yellow book. That's what it sounds like we're saying here.  That wouldn't be difficult at all. Anybody concur with this? Guess I could give it a try.   

I have used my Thai DL to rent from Enterprise, Thrifty and some years ago Budget in the US with no problem booking directly online.

$60 car, per day? Last time I got Enterprise at about $200 a week but maybe you are after the top of the line.

4 minutes ago, Dante99 said:

I have used my Thai DL to rent from Enterprise, Thrifty and some years ago Budget in the US with no problem booking directly online.

$60 car, per day? Last time I got Enterprise at about $200 a week but maybe you are after the top of the line.

$30/day for two days. I paid $82 for the two days at Rentalcars dot com because Expedia required a US driver's license. I think that was just the dumb clerk, but I went ahead with rentalcars. Really, there's just my small body and a couple of small bags max. The smallest and doggiest is fine for me. 

Edited by cusanus

So, I've got a copy of my yellow book (living color), two copies of my passport, a copy of my Thai drivers license (car and motorcyle both, front and back), four photos. That should do it, the extra copy of the passport and photos are for the re entry permit. Hopefully I haven't forgotten anything. If I have to go to Immigration first for a res permit that isn't too tough except I've got to have another set of copies and another photo plus 500 baht more, and really don't want to bother with that. Right, the IDP probably isn't necessary, but they say it's advisable.  

Ok, here's what ended up happening, should be of interest. I was disappointed to learn that Expedia had a car for $10/day instead of $41, but turned me down because I didn't have a USA driver's license. So, I called back and complained and the next one called the car company and confirmed that a Thai driver's license was good enough and no IDP needed, either. So, I called the other agency and was still able to cancel out, then called Expedia back. Oh oh, again I wss told that a USA license was required. This time I was better prepared and said, hey, do what the last lady did and call the auto company to check, I'm sure a Thai driver's license is good. So, he did. Thrifty Auto said no problem. I ended up paying $50 for two days with taxes and other charges, so figure the one lady fibbed a little, but it's still a lot better than $82. And now it seems safe to forego the IDP, saves time, hassle and money. A Thai driver's license ought to be useable in the states, it's in English, no IDP necessary.