Udon teens blame 'GTA' for beating elderly westerners

webfact

Huh - blame the game shops? How about a draconian punishment for the perpetrators, to make an example of them so that others MAY learn? Criminals always have reasons for doing something BUT IT CAN NEVER BE AN EXCUSE!

Above all, it is time for the authorities to introduce proper education of the young which also teaches respect and morality - as poster #20 touched on. I would have thought that their religion teaches that? coffee1.gif

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thai people do not respect each other, we should not expect them to respect foreigners. Just the way it is. Young males are coddled all their lives, ironically the females that get treated like crap by adult males will raise their sons the same way. The cycle continues. I have however, met a few fine young men in Thailand who obviously are being raised differently.

Well said..you right about that and the problem is a great majority of young Thais behave and nothing new. Thai parents don't give a damn

Kids need to know what is right and what is wrong. They should be able to play video games without actually cooying them.

How many kids play this game world-wide? Just because a couple of kids in one city get ideas from it, doesn't mean it should be banned.

I mean ... Thais are subject to violence with guns and knives everyday when they watch their beloved soap operas.

They are not influenced by these, are they? :)

It was already banned for sale in Thailand in 2008 after a copycat murder - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/thailand/2504016/Thailand-bans-Grand-Theft-Auto-after-copycat-murder.html. Guess they were able to torrent it.

Bans don't really solve anything, nutcases are gonna be nutcases.

You are a couple of generations behind. See "steam" to catch up

My son used to play Xbox. But I got him a guitar and he practiced day and night and started writing songs and formed a band. Hé also played minor hockey he soon forgot about video games. Hé is now Vietnam playing music at a hotel and working the desk. You got to as a parent keep them busy as my dad with me working on cars and I am glad he did.

I have always believed this, desensitizes the knuckleheads, what game did they learn kicking someone's head in by 6 or more, even the girls are using this tactic, by some of the videos on FB, a Disgrace, should be Banned these games, sure some can handle it without acting out, but u have these imbeciles who cannot control themselves...

This obscene game; Grand Theft Auto: GTA, was/is officially banned in Thailand................No enforcement once again:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_banned_video_games#Thailand.........Grand Theft Auto series Banned likely due to high impact violence, cruelty and sexual content. For reasons unknown, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas had since been made available via Steam ever since the PC version of Grand Theft Auto V was launched, which itself is openly available on Steam from the debut.

At 63, I have no interest in gaming but before wifi I used to regularly use Thai internet cafes which were packed with kids playing games. I was truly shocked to see the content of the games being played by kids on the PCs next to me, and I have since learned the main culprit was GTA. Gaming is addictive, and anyone addicted to this game or just playing it regularly is likely to be conditioned to enjoy killing and inflicting extreme violence on others. It is beyond me how any country could allow this game to be released and circulated for adults let alone children.

No.

People that are pre-disposed to violence will ALWAYS be violent.

I have played video games since I was 5 years old. Including the first GTA game when I was around 11 years old. I have played every GTA game since then extensively and guess what? No criminal record, I haven't ever even been in a fight....

So am and the millions of other that plays these games and DON'T act out things from the games freaks of nature? Or rather the pre-disposed people?

You are 63 so the gaming generation has passed you by but I am sure you have seen your fair share of violent films or listend to violent music....Did you ever directly attack someone because of it?

Grow up gramps.

Edited by mrrizzla

I have always believed this, desensitizes the knuckleheads, what game did they learn kicking someone's head in by 6 or more, even the girls are using this tactic, by some of the videos on FB, a Disgrace, should be Banned these games, sure some can handle it without acting out, but u have these imbeciles who cannot control themselves...

This obscene game; Grand Theft Auto: GTA, was/is officially banned in Thailand................No enforcement once again:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_banned_video_games#Thailand.........Grand Theft Auto series Banned likely due to high impact violence, cruelty and sexual content. For reasons unknown, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas had since been made available via Steam ever since the PC version of Grand Theft Auto V was launched, which itself is openly available on Steam from the debut.

At 63, I have no interest in gaming but before wifi I used to regularly use Thai internet cafes which were packed with kids playing games. I was truly shocked to see the content of the games being played by kids on the PCs next to me, and I have since learned the main culprit was GTA. Gaming is addictive, and anyone addicted to this game or just playing it regularly is likely to be conditioned to enjoy killing and inflicting extreme violence on others. It is beyond me how any country could allow this game to be released and circulated for adults let alone children.

What you say, Sir, is utterly wrong!

I bet you're in favor of the Junta censorship and monitoring then.

Also I hope you re deeeply troubled by all the Lakorn tv shows depicting rapes, guns violence.

I hope you re boycotting the 7pn Thai news and their gory images.

Hope you burn all those dvd and books depicting violence and express deep concern about gun availability.

GTA V has more than 60 millions copies. If this game was the origin of violence we would have a worldwide mass murdering...but no, why?

Because the teens try to blame the game for their actions, like any coward would do and Thailand has a solid reputation of cowardness when it comes to responsibilities...

No.

I have played video games since I was 5 years old. Including the first GTA game when I was around 11 years old. I have played every GTA game since then extensively and guess what? No criminal record, I haven't ever even been in a fight....

So am and the millions of other that plays these games and DON'T act out things from the games freaks of nature? Or rather the pre-disposed people?

You are 63 so the gaming generation has passed you by but I am sure you have seen your fair share of violent films or listend to violent music....Did you ever directly attack someone because of it?

Grow up gramps.

Maybe it's you who should grow up enough to know that:

1. The plural of anecdote isn't data.

2. It's well-established that human beings are affected by their surroundings, social environment, and by what we see, hear, read, watch, listen to. I suppose I could google it and provide a few hundred links......

Those on this thread--including the multi-degreed gamer who's still guilty of black-and-white thinking--who claim that their minds are completely unaffected by years of sensory input because they haven't--in this case--committed multiple grisly murders are merely straw-manning.

No.

Grow up gramps.

2. It's well-established that human beings are affected by their surroundings, social environment, and by what we see, hear, read, watch, listen to. I suppose I could google it and provide a few hundred links......

Those on this thread--including the multi-degreed gamer who's still guilty of black-and-white thinking--who claim that their minds are completely unaffected by years of sensory input because they haven't--in this case--committed multiple grisly murders are merely straw-manning.

Your reply makes me want to kill you.. Better go relax and play some GTA V

No.

Grow up gramps.

Right so everyone who has played these games or indeed been exposed to any sort of violence in media is a murderer in the making? Well then we best prepare for a massive genocide....

I think at this point you are just trolling though.

In the west, criminals and perverts don't blame it on games.

They blame it on divorced parents, too little love when young, and of course on the society.

Works very well in order to get reduced sentences.

Not saying these scum in the post should not be punished.

To me, video games are the hallmark of a very small mind.

I have a nephew that loves GTA. He's completely worthless in all aspects of life.

Rubbish, I love video games and have a Master's degree.

a masters degree in video games?.....lucky you.

One of the biggest industries in the world...

If he actually had a Masters in "video games" i would gladly buy him a beer and congratulate him on a well selected education.

I have a nephew that loves GTA. He's completely worthless in all aspects of life.

If he actually had a Masters in "video games" i would gladly buy him a beer and congratulate him on a well selected education.

It's so funny some of the old dinosaurs on this boards outdated views. Game designers are millionaires! cheesy.gif

There's seems - to me at least - to be a bit of ambiguity about where exactly this is. The little park to the east of the train station is Nong Bua. The big one way off to the west is Nong Prajak. Where's Nong Sin? Googling it I take it that this is just an alternative name for Nong Prajak. (Sin = Sinlapakhom)?

That's one big park. Do we know if the robberies are nearer the city end or out way to the north west?

[incidentally, Grand Theft Auto was designed in Dundee. Walking down Reform Street to visit my money at the Alliance Trust I can confirm that there's no mystery where the designers obtained their inspiration. Grand Junkie no-Auto would have been even nearer the mark].

Edited by Craig krup

I didn't read all comments. Someone mentioned Tropico 5? google tropico 5 banned thailand

Tropico is a very nice sim game series. After this game got banned in TH, the publisher of Tropico 5 issued a task within its missions.

A screenshot;

tropico5-thailand-mission-11.jpg

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/749006-tropico-5-city-building-game-considered-a-threat-to-national-security/

It's so funny some of the old dinosaurs on this boards outdated views. Game designers are millionaires! cheesy.gif

"Presactly", and we "old dinosaurs" have stopped worshipping those who get money by any means.

Lack of proper decent education at home and in schools - to distinguish between right and wrong, fantasy and reality, rights and responsibilities to name a few........... coffee1.gif

A world wide problem, not just in Thailand (but Thailand has a lot of "catching up" to do). sad.png

Nevertheless, the "criminals" need to be severely punished and the victims adequately compensated by the State.

Perhaps it wasn't the video games after all. Perhaps while in the Internet shop one of the boys come across Thai visa, read about about what many farangs have written about them, their mothers and male relatives and thought it was about time for some " attitude adjustment" Thai style.

The teenagers "did wrong" and. so did the game designers and distributors.

Q: What kind of people design games that include violence?

A: Those that consider violence a game! A bunch of sickos.

What about board games like Dungeons and Dragons? Warhammer? Battlestar Galactica?

These include elements of violence and roleplay in fantasy and sci fi settings; but level headed people understand they are just games and what happens on a tabletop or video screen is not an indication of how you should conduct yourself in real life...

I liked Super Mario when I was a kid... I didn't go around jumping on reptiles and kicking their shells down the road...

I also liked Sonic the Hedgehog... Didn't steal gold rings from boxes, paint myself blue, cover myself with spikes and run really fast at people either...

I did play Pacman though... and when I was at university I had a tendency to wander around dark rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive music...

There's seems - to me at least - to be a bit of ambiguity about where exactly this is. The little park to the east of the train station is Nong Bua. The big one way off to the west is Nong Prajak. Where's Nong Sin? Googling it I take it that this is just an alternative name for Nong Prajak. (Sin = Sinlapakhom)?

That's one big park. Do we know if the robberies are nearer the city end or out way to the north west?

[incidentally, Grand Theft Auto was designed in Dundee. Walking down Reform Street to visit my money at the Alliance Trust I can confirm that there's no mystery where the designers obtained their inspiration. Grand Junkie no-Auto would have been even nearer the mark].

Nong Sim lake is north of the railway station

Perhaps it wasn't the video games after all. Perhaps while in the Internet shop one of the boys come across Thai visa, read about about what many farangs have written about them, their mothers and male relatives and thought it was about time for some " attitude adjustment" Thai style.

If they came about your brainwashed and indifferent praises, I assume you don't have to walk anywhere anymore, because your "friends" will carry you on their hands, every time you leave the house!coffee1.gif

Wow, the apologist outdoes himself in defending these low life scum.

However that said, I doubt these vicious thugs can read Thai let alone English.