District Chief: Prosecution of Pattaya Bridge Players will continue as planned

webfact

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"The District Chief stated on Thursday that if he did not pursue the case it could set a precedent and encourage others who play cards to challenge the authorities in the future, if it is not completely evident that money was exchanging hands. He would prefer the case be heard in front of a Judge who can then decide if Bridge is illegal to play in Thailand or not."

http://www.thailandbridgeleague.com/bbfc/

http://www.thailandbridgeleague.com/

http://www.britishclubbangkok.org/index.php/sports-games/games-other-sections/bridge

and from my news agency:

In a nation wide crackdown Thai police want all Farang Bridge gamblers to report to them within one week.

After a world wide laugh fest in social media over their arrest of elderly Bridge "players" in Pattaya, the police stated they are not fooled by the obvious gambling that is taking place.

The police insist that it was necessary to conduct the raid with 50 men because criminal elements like these are dangerous and Farangs are highly unpredictable. The police saw a group of "chopper" style motorcycles parked three blocks away and this only added to their suspicions that some sort of gang activity was taking place.

As for the age of the Farangs gamblers, Thai police are well aware of elderly Farang women going berserk while trying to shop at Tesco Lotus. The Thai police stated "We were ready for anything".

"Bridge" is obviously a code word for Poker. And the points system is the way the gamblers divide their winnings. Thai police know from their own experience that no one would sit for hours playing cards without some money changing hands.

The police went on to say as no money was found during the raid, it must be stored off site, and divided up later.

Raids will be conducted not only in Pattaya, but in cities like Hua Hin, where nests of Farang Bridge gamblers could be found at golf course club houses or other locations.

Police are also looking into the Bangkok Bridge Festival being held April 5th-9th sponsored by PTT Group. This type of corruption involving big corporation must be stopped.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Quit it. Please? clap2.gifclap2.gif

The cops must have been watching 'Bad Grandpa' too much lately.

this chap is looking for a save face situation anything he can find he will use 1 they didn't use government playing cards 2 more than 12o playing cards on the tables 3 drinks licensing laws from the look of him I think he will get a result and he will get to keep the bail bond money I don't think the game of bridge is the issue here but how many laws were broken while the game was being played.

There goes the bail bond, never mind at least now I know not to put roots down.

There have been reports that the 5,000 baht bail has already been returned to the players. In any case, bail is granted to ensure the accused turns up in court, so isn't normally returned until after the court case.

"The District Chief stated on Thursday that if he did not pursue the case it could set a precedent and encourage others who play cards to challenge the authorities in the future, if it is not completely evident that money was exchanging hands. He would prefer the case be heard in front of a Judge who can then decide if Bridge is illegal to play in Thailand or not."

Thanks for the warning about not playing bridge. I will just spend my time in police owned gogo bars from now on.

So when did the issue of the alcohol.....................enter into this story ???

Chances are the alcohol was " provided" by the restaurant on the ground floor ---after all the bridge club was renting the room(area) they used from the restaurant below.

Logic ( I know --this is thailand so logic may not apply) tells me that the alcohol was "obtained" from there.So surely it is the operator of the restaurant that has breached any laws as to out of legal hours alcohol sales.

To the best of my knowledge there is no law ( yet) ......prohibiting consumption of alcohol on non licensed premises at certain times. The restaurant may or may not hold appropriate licenses.

The room that the bridge club used is leased separately to the ground floor area( so I believe).

Is it illegal to consume alcohol in your home/hotel room/condo between the hours of 2pm and 5pm...................................

Is it illegal to consume alcohol in you home/hotel room /condo in the company of friends/neighbours/relatives etc...............

The bridge club used rooms rented privately, so how is that different to a house/hotel room /condo ???

Officialdom in thailand has really reached a new low .........................We are not sure that anything illegal has occurred .....but we will file charges and let a judge decide.

Yet another complete waste of time and resources whilst officialdom at all levels turns a blind eye to the real illegal activities that occur daily everywhere throughout the kingdom.

If you take a look at Thailand Bridge League http://www.thailandbridgeleague.com/

They have yearly competitions which invovles registration fees and prizes for winners, probably consider as "gambling" according to the "Playing Card Act", not to mention more than the allow numbers players per room. Main sponsors are PTT and Bangkok Bank. Their schedule for 2016 is even up, wonder if anybody is going to raid them too? this is a bigger fish to fry.

I read an article in a Bangkok paper arguing that Thailand, as other ASEAN nations have done, needs to go through their law books and revoke obsolete, irrelevant or just plain stupid laws.

Laws written decades ago for an entirely different social structure are still there.

This whole incident is proving daily that this should become a priority.

When a group of respectable seniors playing a game that is played in 124 countries world wide (according to the World Bridge Federation) are criminalised due to some obscure law it reinforces the need for change.

Pattaya might have changed, but I don't ever recall being refused a beer in any restaurant that served alcohol between 2-5. Speaking of ridiculous laws. Is it legal to buy 4 beer at 1:59 and consume them between 2-5 with the restaurant supplying only refridgeration?

Can't drive a car with no shirt...motorbike OK.

Illegal to leave your home with no underwear.....imagine all the money to be made fining tourists at the beach.

The world media has already made a joke of it all leaving the whole country looking ridiculous. Now Thailand seems to want to carry on with the laughing. Why does not our esteemed leader just sack the guy and it's all over. That would go a long way to regaining face which they have already lost. As for the loss of tourists, they have already lost hundreds of thousands of tourist despite their claims otherwise. Just speak to anyone involved in the tourist industry. The media of course cannot publish this as it would be against national interests and the happiness of the people.

Is this bridge "club" a business or a private organized group of people who get together to play cards...is liquor sold at these gatherings...do they have a liquor license...do they adhere to the alcohol sale laws...do they also sell fags...they may have many questions to answer for.

Good points made. Was this just a group of friends getting together for a friendly no money involved game of bridge, or was this an organised club where paid joining and attendance fees were involved? Was there alcoholic drinks sold on the premises and did the organizers register this as a bridge club?

Wrong to blame the police for over reaction when we don`t have knowledge of all the facts.

Phenomenal! Went looking for gambling, found not a trace of it and proceeded to dig up every law he could think of to justify it instead of:

"Excuse me, we were acting on faulty information. The informant will be prosecuted of it was found to be malicious."

And after Khunying Chodchoy met withe the Ministry of the Interior who ruled bridge legal he still insists there is doubt.

I assume that since DOPA is governed by the same ministry that this guy is basically ignoring his superiors.

Good, keep it up. Sooner or later someone above him is going to act.

I doubt anyone will act. Not the Thai mentality. And after all, he's Thai and there just a bunch of foreigners with zero rights,

Firstly, is it his decision whether to prosecute or not? Wouldn't that be up to the local prosecutor who presumably works for the OAG?

Secondly, every bridge club in Thailand must be now a potential target for a raid to check on the legality of the playing cards etc. That would put this official up against some very influential and connected people who have already had confirmed bridge is legal and exempted as a sport. Indirectly, he challenging those people and the people who confirmed that to them.

They'll look for a way out. Probably find some excuse to fine and warn the foreigners so this clown keeps some face; and then make assurances that it was only this club being in breach so matter closed.

Longer term, his career ain't gonna benefit from this. But that won't be made public. Can't have foreigners proving a Thai wrong. Whatever next?

The world media has already made a joke of it all leaving the whole country looking ridiculous. Now Thailand seems to want to carry on with the laughing. Why does not our esteemed leader just sack the guy and it's all over. That would go a long way to regaining face which they have already lost. As for the loss of tourists, they have already lost hundreds of thousands of tourist despite their claims otherwise. Just speak to anyone involved in the tourist industry. The media of course cannot publish this as it would be against national interests and the happiness of the people.

He's Thai. Can't be seen to support foreigners over a Thai, whatever the circumstances. The higher ups will leave him alone to try and salvage something out of this. Even if its an obscure interpretation of laws that have already been confirmed don't apply.

We don't know how well connected this guy is himself; or who his patrons are. That will also affect what happens as his actions and the reactions to them reflect on them.

I hear of more and more long term expats quitting or planning to quit Thailand regularly now. The main reason is this feeling of being totally exposed - can be kicked out, fitted up, and have zero rights. Some have been here 10-15 years, married to Thais and seemed well settled. There is a domino affect at the moment with people having had enough.

What a dick this guy is , If they were not English this would be a non starter, Thais really have it in for us.

...and Thais gamble on anything...the police are the worst offenders! So as a retiree...you have a choice. Get arrested for playing cards or get beat up in a public park by some GTA crazed kids.

This is the kind of news that will stop more retirees coming here. Older people are much more concerned about their health and safety and will not take so many risks.

This is really super stupid.
On one hand the TAT spends millions of baht for advertising to praise Thailand as an attractive country for foreigners to go.
And on the other hand they destroy with one single, ill and plated raid the expensive image advertising campaign.

Actually, the pensioners are the best tourists Thailand could want.
They bring safe money in the country, they buy or rent condos, are never involved in fights,
they do not steal or murder, they spend a lot of money for doctors and frequently employ house servants.

The comparative cost of this action I guess for Thailand to 50-100 million baht loss.

Unfortunately, this responsible Officer thinks ahead not far.
And I bet that this official is not able to understand intellectually the strategic element of the bridge game ever.
He unfortunately lacks tact.

So when did the issue of the alcohol.....................enter into this story ???

Chances are the alcohol was " provided" by the restaurant on the ground floor ---after all the bridge club was renting the room(area) they used from the restaurant below.

Logic ( I know --this is thailand so logic may not apply) tells me that the alcohol was "obtained" from there.So surely it is the operator of the restaurant that has breached any laws as to out of legal hours alcohol sales.

To the best of my knowledge there is no law ( yet) ......prohibiting consumption of alcohol on non licensed premises at certain times. The restaurant may or may not hold appropriate licenses.

The room that the bridge club used is leased separately to the ground floor area( so I believe).

Is it illegal to consume alcohol in your home/hotel room/condo between the hours of 2pm and 5pm...................................

Is it illegal to consume alcohol in you home/hotel room /condo in the company of friends/neighbours/relatives etc...............

The bridge club used rooms rented privately, so how is that different to a house/hotel room /condo ???

Officialdom in thailand has really reached a new low .........................We are not sure that anything illegal has occurred .....but we will file charges and let a judge decide.

Yet another complete waste of time and resources whilst officialdom at all levels turns a blind eye to the real illegal activities that occur daily everywhere throughout the kingdom.

I agree. Assuming that alcohol really was being consumed between 2 and 5PM, I can think of 3 possible scenarios ...

1. The restaurant was selling alcohol ... in which case, prosecute the restaurant, it's got nothing to do with the bridge players

2. The bridge club bought the alcohol beforehand (before 2PM), and they were sharing it while playing ... in which case no offence was committed

3. The bridge club was selling alcohol, whether with or without a license ... in which case they broke the law (more than 1 law if unlicensed)

Somehow I think scenario 2 is by far the most likely, and scenario 3 by far the least likely.

Thanks for the warning about not playing bridge. I will just spend my time in police owned gogo bars from now on.

Would what will happen if the judge decides, on the balance of probability, that there was some gambling and therefore bridge is illegal to play?

Will they scrap all the planned and sponsored ASEAN tournaments here in 2016? Will some enterprising cop raid the Royal Thai Sporting club or the British Club?

I thought the president of the Thai Bridge Association had already had it established that as Bridge is classified as a sport it is not affected by these laws.

He's opening an hornets nest and hasn't got the sense to know when to keep quiet. This face saving culture creates so many problems.

What a dick this guy is , If they were not English this would be a non starter, Thais really have it in for us.

...and Thais gamble on anything...the police are the worst offenders! So as a retiree...you have a choice. Get arrested for playing cards or get beat up in a public park by some GTA crazed kids.

This is the kind of news that will stop more retirees coming here. Older people are much more concerned about their health and safety and will not take so many risks.

True - my former B-i-L is in the BiB. He bankrupted his family through excessive gambling losses betting on football matches. And the bookie - his local senior officer.

They are all expected to bet and better do so if they want to keep their job.

Is this bridge "club" a business or a private organized group of people who get together to play cards...is liquor sold at these gatherings...do they have a liquor license...do they adhere to the alcohol sale laws...do they also sell fags...they may have many questions to answer for.

Quite possibly, but do you think running them down the nick and confiscating passports, demanding "confessions" is the right way of going about it?

For sure it could have been handled better. I'm just saying that there may have been laws that were violated by this "club" and what he's saying is that it's up to the court to determine.

But basically, what happened is the bib thought they were going to cash in big time on a silly little local raid and thanks to social media, it blew up in their face and they now don't know what to do.

This moron deserves what I hope is going to happen to him.

So far he has lost face BIG TIME. But he just does not seem to know when he is beaten. So now he will push it to the extremes of stupidity to regain face, while Thailand will be in the international news again, as a laughing stock.

Fire this a**hole NOW. Thailand could actually gain face by doing so.

I read an article in a Bangkok paper arguing that Thailand, as other ASEAN nations have done, needs to go through their law books and revoke obsolete, irrelevant or just plain stupid laws.

Laws written decades ago for an entirely different social structure are still there.

This whole incident is proving daily that this should become a priority.

When a group of respectable seniors playing a game that is played in 124 countries world wide (according to the World Bridge Federation) are criminalised due to some obscure law it reinforces the need for change.

Pattaya might have changed, but I don't ever recall being refused a beer in any restaurant that served alcohol between 2-5. Speaking of ridiculous laws. Is it legal to buy 4 beer at 1:59 and consume them between 2-5 with the restaurant supplying only refridgeration?

Can't drive a car with no shirt...motorbike OK.

Illegal to leave your home with no underwear.....imagine all the money to be made fining tourists at the beach.

In BigC foodhalls, there is usually a beer bar. The pretties come round at about ten minutes to 2 and ask if you want another beer. Many Thais and some farangs order another glass, jug, or tower and continue to consume it during 'closing time'. I've visited at about 4.30 and people are still drinking from their previously bought beer. So yes, it's quite legal.

In relation to the above thread, the same would apply to the bridge players if they were drinking outside the permitted 'selling alcohol' time, but unless I'm mistaken, only the restaurant or bar would be breaking the law. I would reason most people reading this thread would think that the DOPA officer is a complete and utter tosser with an arrogant oversized ego and self-importance attitude.

Archived