Vegemite Importation Banned In The Us!

cathyy

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I doubt if the US gov. will ever be on the same page as the rest of the Western world.... It will take generations to catch up. :o

it is a well known fact that the U.S. does not allow the private import of any foodstuff. you are not even allowed to take an apple or a sandwich from an aircraft. there are good reasons for these laws.

BUT they are by far not as crazy as the relevant Aussie or NZ laws! we were considering to move to Australia some years ago. had already bought a piece of land north of Brisbane and negotiating details with a local construction company. then we were informed that each piece of our antique furniture, every wooden frame of paintings, wooden skulptures, etc. has to be unpacked, fumigated and stored for a minimum of four weeks in a warehouse to be monitored whether "imported pests" might develop.

total cost for the procedure would have been around AUD 80-120,000 and any damage to valuable works of art would have been our bad luck.

facit: don't throw stones when you sit in a glasshouse! (old german proverb).

The U.S.A seems to be right, we must stop the SPREAD of this terrible, addictive drug. The lives of thousands of children are ruined every year by the craving desire to have this on toast every morning, they cannot function without it. Not to mention the world wide smuggling ring in place commonly miss-called the Aussie traveller. They are a highly organised group dedicated to SPREADING their illegal product around the world. They have reportedly even tried to break the Marmite gangs hold in the UK so far, i believe they have failed in that area.

Be warned your children are not safe. Signs to look out for are big smiling faces with grubby dark brown smears around the corners of their mouths. Thank god the US are policing the world so very well. I will sleep safer in my bed knowing this is now being fought. Thank you america your making the world much safer yet again. :o

Edited by Boatabike

I doubt if the US gov. will ever be on the same page as the rest of the Western world.... It will take generations to catch up. :D

it is a well known fact that the U.S. does not allow the private import of any foodstuff. you are not even allowed to take an apple or a sandwich from an aircraft. there are good reasons for these laws.

BUT they are by far not as crazy as the relevant Aussie or NZ laws! we were considering to move to Australia some years ago. had already bought a piece of land north of Brisbane and negotiating details with a local construction company. then we were informed that each piece of our antique furniture, every wooden frame of paintings, wooden skulptures, etc. has to be unpacked, fumigated and stored for a minimum of four weeks in a warehouse to be monitored whether "imported pests" might develop.

total cost for the procedure would have been around AUD 80-120,000 and any damage to valuable works of art would have been our bad luck.

I'm glad you decided not to bring your (possibly) infested antiques & furniture into Aus.

Thank you for not moving to Australia. :o

I doubt if the US gov. will ever be on the same page as the rest of the Western world.... It will take generations to catch up. :o

In reply Dr Naam..I used to think how stupid it was when an aircraft landed in OZ the local officials would walk through the aircraft spraying insect killing sprays..on enquiring I found it was to kill any insect that may have hitched a ride..

Australia is an Island, a great big one at that, but never the less, we have some very unique Flora and Fawna, god knows they, the Aust Govt, imported things like Cane Toads, we all know that disaster..

So what you see as inconvienence is purely a precaution to stop any unwanted bugs getting into OZ that could create a larger problem in the country..

I guess they think $80-120,000 a small price to pay specially if your paying..

Look at the Killer Bees that came up from the wilds of South America to the States..

There is a big difference between a private food item such as a sandwich, and an imported sealed jar. Removing opened jars at custom is to expecteded but banning imports for the reasons given seem rather silly. Plus the treatment of imported furniture to an Island country make far more sense than banning a food product that has no known history of causing harm.

You were tucked up mate.How do you think that imported furniture gets into Oz or NZ now?There is no way that commercial cargo would stand these type of costs and I feel that somebody might be pulling your chain.

SBK, the US finally uses some common sense and you don't find that information valuable. I'm appalled! Vegemite HAS to be a toxic substance and I'm glad we are protected from it. :o

Marmite just doesn't match vegemite in taste and quality: :o

:D

You have got to be joking? That stuff tastes like :D. Lets face it, anything the ole bread thieves invent, or purport to (vegemite is a rip-off of Marmite by the way), is bound to be a little bit naff. :D:D

" and I feel that somebody might be pulling your chain"

that might have been the case but i am in no position to judge. what we did was abiding and following the advice Aussie government authorities and our our forwarding company relayed to us.

we faced a similar problem bringing our belongings into Thailand. if import policies were to be followed strictly 90% of our belongings were not allowed into the country. fortunately we found a clearing agent who handled all customs formalities to mutual satisfaction of all parties concerned :o

excerpt:

RESTRICTED ITEMS

Works of art and antiquities and oriental rugs

judge for yourself!

post-35218-1161502614_thumb.jpg

AUD 80-120,000 ?????

Shame you didn't emigrate as Australia is running out of fools . . .

We moved back to Australia twice and the furniture was fumigated - no charge . . . AUD 80-120,000

that of course is no problem at all when the furniture consists mainly of fruit crates, corrugated cartons, the "valuable" paintings are plastic framed photos of the family dog and the "oriental rugs" are left over cuttings of a wall-to-wall carpet.

:o

" and I feel that somebody might be pulling your chain"

that might have been the case but i am in no position to judge. what we did was abiding and following the advice Aussie government authorities and our our forwarding company relayed to us.

we faced a similar problem bringing our belongings into Thailand. if import policies were to be followed strictly 90% of our belongings were not allowed into the country. fortunately we found a clearing agent who handled all customs formalities to mutual satisfaction of all parties concerned :o

excerpt:

RESTRICTED ITEMS

Works of art and antiquities and oriental rugs

judge for yourself!

Well, have a think about it.How do so many shops in Aussie have antiquities/art/rugs etc.You were either grossly misled or the shipping agent put a couple of zeros in the wrong place.

I’ve taken shipping containers full of household furniture, wooden item and rugs into Oz twice.

I ensured all items were clean, all wood items lacquered, rugs steam cleaned beforehand, garden items and fish tanks treated with Milton solution. The shipping containers were fogged with an approved insecticide at time of closure.

All items were listed with the lacquer and treatments noted on the shipping list. Quarantine took a quick glance on both occasions and the containers passed through without problem.

I also know others who were charged huge fees for the xray of wooden items, fumigation and cleaning when they hadn’t bothered with preparations prior to packing.

You have to remember why the Australians are a bit paranoid regarding importing living things to name but a few.

Rabbits.

Foxes.

Buffalo.

Cats.

Pet dogs.

Finally Camel, the only country in the world that has herds of wild Camel

I left out horses for obvious reasons.

I can just see it at customs, little old lady trying to smuggle in a jar of vegemite, surrounded by armed guards saying

"Put the substance down and step away from the jar - hands above your head" Old lady says "None of you bastards gonna take me alive, come any closer and I swallow the contents!"

They are banning it because it contains folate.

Does anyone now what folate is and why it is banned only when it's in certain foods?

The noun folate has one meaning:

Meaning #1: a B vitamin that is essential for cell growth and reproduction

Synonyms: vitamin Bc, vitamin M, folic acid, folacin, pteroylglutamic acid, pteroylmonoglutamic acid