Debate: Republican contenders say no court nominee for Obama

rooster59

Get used to the name of D.C. Circuit Judge Sri Srinivasan. Dollars to donuts, President Obama will nominate him and Mitch McConnell's face will become an even sadder sack, if that's possible.

One perspective on Appellate Judge Sri Srinivasan is the realpolitik consideration of appointing a person of Indian ancestry. That would be a big score in this region of the world beyond its being gigantic in India itself. (It certainly would tick off the CCP Dictators in Beijing who've got only the cold shoulder from India recently.)

India PM Narendra Modi and his BJP party are openly pro USA and just announced he and the US have been seriously discussing joint naval patrols in the South China Sea, so elevating Judge Srinivasan to SCOTUS would further solidify US-India relations and no doubt enhance PM Modi's already stellar credentials at home generally and in his pro-US policies.

Republicans would suffer among Indians and in East-South Asia regionally as well as among Asian Americans in the US in particular, were the R's to screw this judge out of a SCOTUS seat if President Obama decides to go that way.

As the old saying goes, never stop your (political) enemy while his foot's coming down on his own tossed banana peel.

Yeah, supporting Srinivasan would help Indians forget the disgraceful way Democrats have treated Republican Governors Jindal and Haley.

Edited by mopar71

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Constitution is not a living, breathing document. I agree.

ok, then if you believe the Constitution is just words written on parchment, answer me this:

Does 'a well-armed militia' mean 'a well-armed militia' or does it mean any redneck who can go to a gun show with a few hundred dollars hot in his pocket?

Many rednecks make excellent militia members. It's the tree huggers that are the questionable ones.

Why am I not surprised you can't answer my question. Reminds me of the Republican debate: rare was an utterance which actually addressed the question being asked.

You mentioned the "well-armed militia"...but left out this part of the 2nd Amendment, "the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Hopefully the next nominee will have read all the Constitution, not just the parts he likes.

Maybe when you begin asking questions that don't include disparaging remarks about those you feel are beneath your exalted place in society, you might get some answers.

How did you know about my exalted place in society? Have you been peeking over my fence and seen me prancing about with my tiger skin emperor 's cloak and gold foil scepter?

I watched the most recent Rep debate again for the 3rd time. It's blows me away, how they're self-destructing publicly. The audience were Republican fans, and they spent more time booing than cheering.

In fairness, it seems the RNC managed to load up the audience a tad with the intention of sabotaging both Cruz and Trump.

They are terrified that either would be a disaster as a Presidential nominee - probably rightly so.

As much as I dislike either Cruz or Trump, it's Rubio who spooks me even more. Bush and Kusich are comparatively ok, but Kusich will unlikely be able to keep campaigning because he just doesn't have the deep pockets of the others. A lot depends on who the Koch brothers put their billions behind.

I think Rubio would be another Bush Jr. You'd be more worried about the people behind him.

Whereas Cruz and Trump are both egotistical and maniacal enough to do all sorts of damage.

I don't think Rubio is less egotistical and maniacal than Cruz and Trump, he just speaks faster and has a prettier face. Rubio recently said, "I wake up each morning and thank God, all the time, that it was George W. Bush in the White House at 9-11, and not Al Gore."

Boomer's comment: what a lowbrow low-class thing to say. Not only did W make a worse mess from the aftermath of 9-11, but to insinuate Gore would not have done better as Commander in Chief is beneath rude.

There have been many very stupid and rude things said by Rep candidates recently (folks overseas are aghast at how rude and ignorant Americans can be). It's hard to pick the 10 most ignorant statements by the Rep candidates, because there are so many.

Edited by boomerangutang

I don't think Rubio is less egotistical and maniacal than Cruz and Trump, he just speaks faster and has a prettier face.

I think being "egotistical & maniacal" is a prerequisite for running for President in the first place. :)

Not only did W make a worse mess from the aftermath of 9-11, but to insinuate Gore would not have done better as Commander in Chief is beneath rude.

I remember just after 9/11 happened...the near unanimous opinion in the country was "thank God All Gore isn't in the White House". Google it.

I don't think Rubio is less egotistical and maniacal than Cruz and Trump, he just speaks faster and has a prettier face.

I think being "egotistical & maniacal" is a prerequisite for running for President in the first place. smile.png

Not only did W make a worse mess from the aftermath of 9-11, but to insinuate Gore would not have done better as Commander in Chief is beneath rude.

I remember just after 9/11 happened...the near unanimous opinion in the country was "thank God All Gore isn't in the White House". Google it.

It's low class to denigrate someone in that manner. It's like a single mom who has two suitors. She's never made love to either one before picking one to marry. Then later she says to the one she marries; "You're such a better m' f - cker than the other man could ever have been."

Denegration is a basic skill on both sides of the equation in a presidential race, and in most more localized campaigns as well. And if the candidate supposedly takes the high road and claims to avoid using this skill, you can be fairly certain that she/he has a hired hand or two on staff to do just that, with full faith and knowledge of the candidate.

<snip>

I think being "egotistical & maniacal" is a prerequisite for running for President in the first place. smile.png

It's low class to denigrate someone in that manner. It's like a single mom who has two suitors. She's never made love to either one before picking one to marry. Then later she says to the one she marries; "You're such a better m' f - cker than the other man could ever have been."

Now that's a high class analogy if I have ever seen one.

<snip>

Now that's a high class analogy if I have ever seen one.

Good to see the age of romance is not dead...

Yeah, supporting Srinivasan would help Indians forget the disgraceful way Democrats have treated Republican Governors Jindal and Haley.

Jindal deserves all the criticism he gets. He took a comfortable Louisiana economy and trashed it.

Not sure what "treatment" Haley got that was so disgraceful.

Care to elaborate?

Edited by Chicog

So what does a Republican appointed retired SC justice have to say on the matter?

http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/17/politics/sandra-day-oconnor-obama-scalia-replacement/

Thanks for that. Not surprising that moderate conservative Associate Justice O'Connor holds the correct and legally defensible position: Obama should appoint...now, and let the SC get on with its business.

Unfortunately, the moderate conservatives have all gone in the closet now in the Senate.

Get used to the name of D.C. Circuit Judge Sri Srinivasan. Dollars to donuts, President Obama will nominate him and Mitch McConnell's face will become an even sadder sack, if that's possible.

One perspective on Appellate Judge Sri Srinivasan is the realpolitik consideration of appointing a person of Indian ancestry. That would be a big score in this region of the world beyond its being gigantic in India itself. (It certainly would tick off the CCP Dictators in Beijing who've got only the cold shoulder from India recently.)

India PM Narendra Modi and his BJP party are openly pro USA and just announced he and the US have been seriously discussing joint naval patrols in the South China Sea, so elevating Judge Srinivasan to SCOTUS would further solidify US-India relations and no doubt enhance PM Modi's already stellar credentials at home generally and in his pro-US policies.

Republicans would suffer among Indians and in East-South Asia regionally as well as among Asian Americans in the US in particular, were the R's to screw this judge out of a SCOTUS seat if President Obama decides to go that way.

As the old saying goes, never stop your (political) enemy while his foot's coming down on his own tossed banana peel.

I found that disgraceful treatment of Haley of which you spoke. Only it came from a Republican, not a Democrat.

Lexington state Sen. Jake Knotts called political rival and Republican gubernatorial candidate Nikki Haley a “raghead” on an Internet political talk show Thursday evening.

“We already got one raghead in the White House,” Knotts said. “We don’t need another in the Governor’s Mansion.”

Gosh, such lovely people South Carolina elects. Apparently her father dares to wear a Turban as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zq5xMT3z560

Edited by Chicog